Xbox One Surround Sound Issues - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 54 Old 11-26-2013, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Hoping you can help me out, guys. 

My current setup is Onkyo TXSR506 receiver (supporting 5:1) plugged into TV through optic which in turn is plugged into the console through HDMI. I cannot for the life of my get the Xbox One to output in surround sound through this set up - is this normal? I've had to put the optic cable straight into the Xbox. Very frustrating having to move the cable every time I want to watch anything on the TV.

I've read some of the topics on this forum out HDMI passovers not working in surround, but I'm not sure if it's the same basic problem!

Thanks in advance.

YzRacer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 11-26-2013, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 348
I'm unclear as to your setup. Do you have the Xbox One run via HDMI to your 506 and then the 506 to the TV? Because that should give you 5.1 so long as you go to the audio settings and set the Xbox One to 5.1 Uncompressed. Then all you would do is set your 506 to the right input to play Xbox One.

"Never believe any quote you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
post #3 of 54 Old 11-26-2013, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 94
It sounds like you're wiring it all backwards. Have the XBone out go into the receiver, then receiver HDMI out to your TV.

Most TV optical outs also only put out stereo.
post #4 of 54 Old 11-26-2013, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
I did a little research on that AVR and it appears its HDMI only does video, no audio, which sucks. Since you can't pass Audio via HDMI, you are stuck with Stereo through optical until MS patches in DD.

Here to help and learn. Thanks AVS.
XBL: HoosierInOhio

post #5 of 54 Old 11-26-2013, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobieck1 View Post

I did a little research on that AVR and it appears its HDMI only does video, no audio, which sucks. Since you can't pass Audio via HDMI, you are stuck with Stereo through optical until MS patches in DD.

It's a receiver, it doesn't need to pass any audio through HDMI, it should be driving his speakers.

ETA - I see, that receiver doesn't accept audio in from the HDMI ports. That's awful, get a new receiver. Also, TVs with an optical out can't pass audio from an HDMI source, it's part of the HDCP standards.
post #6 of 54 Old 11-26-2013, 07:52 PM

Liked: 10
Any reason why I can't get dolby digital when using hdmi. Tried on both Blu ray and games and all I can get is PCM or DTS
post #7 of 54 Old 11-26-2013, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockness View Post

Any reason why I can't get dolby digital when using hdmi. Tried on both Blu ray and games and all I can get is PCM or DTS

Yes, currently XBONE doesn't pass Dolby Digital through optical.
Cuda1169 likes this.

post #8 of 54 Old 11-26-2013, 08:36 PM

I'm not using optical I'm using hdmi and it's still not passing dolby
post #9 of 54 Old 11-27-2013, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow View Post

It's a receiver, it doesn't need to pass any audio through HDMI, it should be driving his speakers.

ETA - I see, that receiver doesn't accept audio in from the HDMI ports. That's awful, get a new receiver. Also, TVs with an optical out can't pass audio from an HDMI source, it's part of the HDCP standards.

Hey guys, thanks for the help. I’ve had to make a new account as I only received my verification email hours after and it won’t work!

Anyway, I’m quite an amateur when to comes to surround sound audio, but I did a bit of reading and unfortunately found out (as you’ve also noticed) that my receiver doesn’t pass through audio through HDMI.

However, I’m using optical directly from the Xbox to the receiver and I can confirm I AM definitely getting surround sound. It’s working perfectly in-game, and the Kinect setup is picking up each of the individual 5:1 speakers.

I just wanted to streamline the process instead of having to switch the optical between the PS4, Xbox One and TV. My limited knowledge on the subject matter leads me to believe I could get an optical cable splitter and connect the PS4 and Xbox One simultaneously without having to manually swap the wire each time – is this correct?

I think I’ll get a new receiver sometime in the future after finding this out;  this is more of a stop-gap solution. 

post #10 of 54 Old 11-27-2013, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Chicken View Post

Hey guys, thanks for the help. I’ve had to make a new account as I only received my verification email hours after and it won’t work!

Anyway, I’m quite an amateur when to comes to surround sound audio, but I did a bit of reading and unfortunately found out (as you’ve also noticed) that my receiver doesn’t pass through audio through HDMI.

However, I’m using optical directly from the Xbox to the receiver and I can confirm I AM definitely getting surround sound. It’s working perfectly in-game, and the Kinect setup is picking up each of the individual 5:1 speakers.

I just wanted to streamline the process instead of having to switch the optical between the PS4, Xbox One and TV. My limited knowledge on the subject matter leads me to believe I could get an optical cable splitter and connect the PS4 and Xbox One simultaneously without having to manually swap the wire each time – is this correct?

I think I’ll get a new receiver sometime in the future after finding this out;  this is more of a stop-gap solution. 

Well I was about to say that doesn't exist but I checked monoprice first and...

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042301&p_id=966&seq=1&format=2

Didn't realize they made these.

post #11 of 54 Old 11-29-2013, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm not using optical I'm using hdmi and it's still not passing dolby
Dolby support will be patched in later, because Microsoft didn't get their Dolby certification in time for launch. That said, if you're running over HDMI, you want to use LPCM 5.1 or 7.1, not Dolby. The Dolby support will be more for people using the optical out, since right now it only supports DTS 5.1 for surround (and many people's surround headphones only do Dolby, not DTS).

You'll still get the advantage of the lossless audio from Blu-rays by running LPCM... It just decodes the DTS-MA or Dolby TrueHD in the Xbox One so that it can mix system sounds in with it before output, and then it outputs lossless PCM to your receiver. Then to get surround from your cable (or whatever you hook to HDMI in), you need to go to SETTINGS, TV, TROUBLESHOOTING, and check the box for the surround sound option (which is in beta because some cable boxes are flaky with it).

post #12 of 54 Old 11-29-2013, 09:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Liked: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Anderson View Post

Dolby support will be patched in later, because Microsoft didn't get their Dolby certification in time for launch. That said, if you're running over HDMI, you want to use LPCM 5.1 or 7.1, not Dolby. The Dolby support will be more for people using the optical out, since right now it only supports DTS 5.1 for surround (and many people's surround headphones only do Dolby, not DTS).

You'll still get the advantage of the lossless audio from Blu-rays by running LPCM... It just decodes the DTS-MA or Dolby TrueHD in the Xbox One so that it can mix system sounds in with it before output, and then it outputs lossless PCM to your receiver. Then to get surround from your cable (or whatever you hook to HDMI in), you need to go to SETTINGS, TV, TROUBLESHOOTING, and check the box for the surround sound option (which is in beta because some cable boxes are flaky with it).

Just remember to manually select the number of output channels when watching a BD. If you have a 5.1 BD, select 5.1 PCM output. Otherwise if 7.1 PCM output is selected and you watch a BD with a 5.1 track, you will have two dead channels since the XBOne will send all audio whether 2.0 or 5.1 in a 7.1 wrapper. And then no post processing can be applied by the receiver. So there will be two dead channels with a 5.1 track, and with a 2.0 track all channels will be dead except for the FL and FR.
Jeremy Anderson likes this.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #13 of 54 Old 11-30-2013, 09:13 PM

I have the Xbox one going thru an onkyo 805 to the tv. It is only allowing me to select stereo, keeps saying to check receiver to get 5.1 uncompressed. I know my receiver can handle this, any ideas on what I need to do. Thanks
post #14 of 54 Old 11-30-2013, 11:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcurtis View Post

I have the Xbox one going thru an onkyo 805 to the tv. It is only allowing me to select stereo, keeps saying to check receiver to get 5.1 uncompressed. I know my receiver can handle this, any ideas on what I need to do. Thanks

My Denon receivers have a manual and an auto setting for the input sound format. I have it set on auto so it can accept different inptu types. At least I think this setting was for the input. It's one of those settings where you don't normally change it.

LED DLP
post #15 of 54 Old 12-02-2013, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In the settings, first set your resolution to 1080p, taking it off AUTO. Make sure there's no auto-detect options on. Then see if it will let you set the audio to 5.1 uncompressed. This should basically turn off the HDMI detection of what your AVR's capabilities are and let you hard set them. Worth a shot/...

post #16 of 54 Old 12-02-2013, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It should say multi channel since the one is decoding

post #17 of 54 Old 12-03-2013, 07:24 AM

It worked, thanks a lot!
post #18 of 54 Old 12-03-2013, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobieck1 View Post

Quote:

It should say multi channel since the one is decoding

I have a 805 and mine says pcm on receiver.

Sent from the TermiNOTEr 2! ;-)
post #19 of 54 Old 12-12-2013, 01:51 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

why would you want dolby digital? Dts and lpcm are far better sound options that any person with a decent system would take any day. Though i do understand that many people dont have dts or umcompressed sound capabilities in their homes.
post #20 of 54 Old 12-12-2013, 07:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

DD and DTS are pretty much the same. Only DD is a more efficient codec since it can have the same sound quality at a lesser bitrate. DTS needs to have a higher bitrate to sound equivalent to the lower 640Kbps DD bitrate.

LED DLP
post #21 of 54 Old 12-15-2013, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have the Xbox One set to lossless and it's connected via HDMI to my Onkyo TX-SR608 (which handles both video/audio through hdmi). On my receiver it shows 'Multichannel'. Is that the correct audio setting for my receiver to get the best audio from the Xbox One?
post #22 of 54 Old 12-15-2013, 10:53 AM

Yes it is!
post #23 of 54 Old 12-16-2013, 02:39 AM
Advanced Member

I also have the Onkyo TX-SR608 and have been messing around for hours trying to figure out why I can't get the receiver to say DTS-HD or TrueHD. I have a 5.1 setup, my Xbox One is set to 5.1 Uncompressed, HDMI for both video and audio, and HDMI in set to 1080p, but all it ever shows is PCM. With my fat PS3 this didn't matter because it wouldn't show the audio format anyways. It's just bothering me that I can't get it to work on either my PS4 or Xbox One. Can anyone help me understand what all these settings mean? The manual is confusing as hell and it doesn't exactly explain anything.
post #24 of 54 Old 12-16-2013, 03:34 AM

I’m using optical directly from the Xbox to the receiver and I can confirm I AM definitely getting surround sound. It’s working perfectly in-game, and the Kinect setup is picking up each of the individual 5:1 speakers.

CjDQqc

post #25 of 54 Old 12-16-2013, 06:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDKing View Post

I also have the Onkyo TX-SR608 and have been messing around for hours trying to figure out why I can't get the receiver to say DTS-HD or TrueHD. I have a 5.1 setup, my Xbox One is set to 5.1 Uncompressed, HDMI for both video and audio, and HDMI in set to 1080p, but all it ever shows is PCM. With my fat PS3 this didn't matter because it wouldn't show the audio format anyways. It's just bothering me that I can't get it to work on either my PS4 or Xbox One. Can anyone help me understand what all these settings mean? The manual is confusing as hell and it doesn't exactly explain anything.

?????

Your receiver will never say DTS-HD or True HD from the XBOne. There are only four audio output choices. 5.1 DTS, 2.0 pcm, 5.1 pcm, and 7.1 pcm. The XBOne decodes all content and either outputs them in uncompressed PCM, or encodes them to 5.1 DTS. Those are the only choices right now. A DD output option is supposed to become available in the future.

LED DLP
post #26 of 54 Old 12-16-2013, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

?????

Your receiver will never say DTS-HD or True HD from the XBOne. There are only four audio output choices. 5.1 DTS, 2.0 pcm, 5.1 pcm, and 7.1 pcm. The XBOne decodes all content and either outputs them in uncompressed PCM, or encodes them to 5.1 DTS. Those are the only choices right now. A DD output option is supposed to become available in the future.

Is this the same for the PS4 too? I have the PS4 set at Bitstream and it's also set for that when I access the Settings menu while playing a Bluray movie. Are both consoles gimped right now in terms of audio options?
post #27 of 54 Old 12-16-2013, 11:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Is this the same for the PS4 too? I have the PS4 set at Bitstream and it's also set for that when I access the Settings menu while playing a Bluray movie. Are both consoles gimped right now in terms of audio options?

From what I've read the PS4 will bitstream BD audio. Not sure about other audio though since I have not purchased a PS4 yet. I have no problem with the Console decoding the audio. Whether the console or the receiver decodes, something has to do it. And for the console to mix in audio, it has to decode it first before it can mix it in. And once it's decoded, there is no point in encoding back to a lossless format, just to be decoded again. The issue I have with the XBOne decoding is that the output right now is not dynamic like it should be. The output audio channels should dynamically change to match the numbef of channels that is decoded from the source material.

LED DLP
post #28 of 54 Old 12-16-2013, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

One of the main reasons I want my receiver to show the new formats is because I think that my AVR might be broken. When I first got it, I couldn't get it to accept the Audessey test. Then after I got my new speakers I retried it and it worked. Think I may just reset the factory settings and start from scratch. Thanks for the help.
post #29 of 54 Old 12-16-2013, 03:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

One of the main reasons I want my receiver to show the new formats is because I think that my AVR might be broken. When I first got it, I couldn't get it to accept the Audessey test. Then after I got my new speakers I retried it and it worked. Think I may just reset the factory settings and start from scratch. Thanks for the help.

You don't have a BD player to test the bitstreaming of the HD audio? Worst case you can purchase a BD player and return it early next year since most stores have extended return policies for the holidays.
Although there are some great prices on the BD players right now. I know the current three models of Sony BD players are all under $100. ranging from $68 to $90.

LED DLP
post #30 of 54 Old 01-05-2014, 08:55 PM

Lots of good info in this thread! Switching off auto detect on HDMI helped me get my sound set to whatever I wanted but I am unable to get anything other than stereo sound when connecting the Xbone to my Panasonic Viera and then outputting via optical cable from the Panasonic to my Onkyo 605. I could really use a Kinect extension so that I could pass HDMI through my receiver but until then I have to keep the Xbone next to the TV. Optical out from the Xbone to my receiver works fine but then I am stuck switching inputs or cables to get audio out of my TV apps.
Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Xbox One Console Standard Edition , Onkyo Tx Sr506 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver Black
Gear in this thread - Sr506 by PriceGrabber.com