Using OTA signal with Xbox One - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 129 Old 11-29-2013, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I was wondering if there's a way to use the watch TV feature on the One when using an antenna. Maybe a converter of some type that goes from coaxial to HDMI. TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 129 Old 11-30-2013, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 148
I've been reading the Xbox Support Forums in the TV area to try to find an OTA tuner box that will work great with the Xbox One. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a specific tuner box that works really good with the Xbox One yet.

A number of people are using the HW150PVR by HomeWorx. Apparently this device will work, although it seems to be a YMMV type thing with the Xbox understanding the voice commands to change channels. One guy was complaining that when he tries to tell the Xbox to change the channel to 5-1 ( a local digital channel for his area), the Xbox thinks it's 51 instead of 5-1, and the only way he can get to 5-1 is by using the remote control for the HW150PVR, which obviously kinda defeats the purpose.

You need to look at these forums, and see how actual users are getting by with various OTA boxes.

I'm going to continue to wait until I hear about a OTA tuner device that works pretty flawlessly, which while the HW150PVR seems to work, it doesn't work flawlessly, so I'm going to continue to wait.
aztony likes this.
post #3 of 129 Old 11-30-2013, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 127
Agreed with Anthony 1. There are solutions, but most if not all are less than ideal, I looked into this quite a bit and even bought and returned an Iview cable decoder box.

Best thing to do is wait for msft to release an official ota solution..... Which could be never. frown.gif

XBOX Live ID: HONDEboyMAN
PSN ID: ahartig
post #4 of 129 Old 11-30-2013, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Man, if only the XB1 had a built in tuner. It could have been the ultimate cord cutter device. I'm sure Microsoft considered putting a tuner in there, but I'm thinking they decided against it for fear of pissing off all the cable and satellite companies, and also possibly upsetting their relationship with ESPN and HBO Go and stuff like that. I honestly don't think it would have added very much to the cost of the XB1 to include a built in tuner. Probably only about $5 per unit, but MS didn't want to rock the boat so to speak in regards to all the big media companies that they need to have a relationship with.

I know Microsoft used to own about a 20 percent share of Comcast, not sure if they still do or not, so that could have also been part of it.

Still, I just wonder how seamlessly everything could have worked if they had a built in tuner. It would have been even more amazing if they gave you DVR functions for recording OTA programs. They could have truly been my "one input" on my TV.
post #5 of 129 Old 11-30-2013, 03:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Since OTA only people is a small percentage of the overall use of TV I think it would be better to have a USB add on that can handle OTA or cable with a cable card. At least if they offer some kind of USB add on later then people can still get those capabilities with the XBOne without increasing the cost of the main box.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #6 of 129 Old 12-01-2013, 12:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

I've been reading the Xbox Support Forums in the TV area to try to find an OTA tuner box that will work great with the Xbox One.

A number of people are using the HW150PVR by HomeWorx.

Here's a guy's experience with the HW150PVR:

A: Nothing needed on the TV at all, it happens through the xbox, displayed on whatever input you've got the xbox plugged into.
The TV is none the wiser what you're up to.
Edit: I mean, yes, you still have to scan for channels... but that's all handled through the xbox/converter box interface.

Q: Does the Xbox integrate with this well? Does the OneGuide work and can it switch channels? I'm picking up one this week and I'm trying to get it to work with my OTA setup. Thanks
A: Full integration as far as I can tell. I can be playing Forza and say "Xbox, watch Fox". Bam.

Q: Awesome, so no issues whatsover?
A: Zero. Pretty amazing, really. I haven't tried the recording feature of the converter box, but everything else is gravy. You even get an on-screen guide for the channels and everything.
aztony likes this.
post #7 of 129 Old 12-01-2013, 01:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

Quote:

I've been reading the Xbox Support Forums in the TV area to try to find an OTA tuner box that will work great with the Xbox One.

A number of people are using the HW150PVR by HomeWorx.

Here's a guy's experience with the HW150PVR:

A: Nothing needed on the TV at all, it happens through the xbox, displayed on whatever input you've got the xbox plugged into.
The TV is none the wiser what you're up to.
Edit: I mean, yes, you still have to scan for channels... but that's all handled through the xbox/converter box interface.

Q: Does the Xbox integrate with this well? Does the OneGuide work and can it switch channels? I'm picking up one this week and I'm trying to get it to work with my OTA setup. Thanks
A: Full integration as far as I can tell. I can be playing Forza and say "Xbox, watch Fox". Bam.

Q: Awesome, so no issues whatsover?
A: Zero. Pretty amazing, really. I haven't tried the recording feature of the converter box, but everything else is gravy. You even get an on-screen guide for the channels and everything.

Anyone looking to buy this box. Go to newegg and enter code for 13.00 off. 32 dollars for box.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882576003

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
aztony and thompsonj805 like this.
post #8 of 129 Old 12-01-2013, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

alright, went ahead and bought the homeworx box. at $35 after tax/shipping, it's worth a gamble.
post #9 of 129 Old 12-01-2013, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

alright, went ahead and bought the homeworx box. at $35 after tax/shipping, it's worth a gamble.

Crap, I'm so tempted to buy it but deciding if I should wait to see how you make out with it. Sucks that the discount expires today. What to do, what to do? confused.gif
post #10 of 129 Old 12-01-2013, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztony View Post

Crap, I'm so tempted to buy it but deciding if I should wait to see how you make out with it. Sucks that the discount expires today. What to do, what to do? confused.gif

you can return it.
post #11 of 129 Old 12-02-2013, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

you can return it.

I decided to wait and see how you make out. I really didn't want to deal with returning it if it didn't work. Didn't know if NewEgg charges a restocking fee or not either. I'll have my fingers crossed that it works.
post #12 of 129 Old 12-02-2013, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I decided to wait and see how you make out. I really didn't want to deal with returning it if it didn't work. Didn't know if NewEgg charges a restocking fee or not either. I'll have my fingers crossed that it works.

I will be the guinea pig! I'll see if I can make a vid of my experience.
post #13 of 129 Old 12-02-2013, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

I will be the guinea pig! I'll see if I can make a vid of my experience.

I bought it too. So hopefully it works.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
post #14 of 129 Old 12-02-2013, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I read this in a thread. since I don't have it yet, I'll post the tip. otherwise, I should get it in a couple days.

"Try setting the manufacturer to Mediasonic, then manually put in your model number. I see some people have had success doing it that way."

hopefully no problems happen. don't want to have to spend significant amount of time digging through google or forums...
post #15 of 129 Old 12-02-2013, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I read this in a thread. since I don't have it yet, I'll post the tip. otherwise, I should get it in a couple days.

"Try setting the manufacturer to Mediasonic, then manually put in your model number. I see some people have had success doing it that way."

hopefully no problems happen. don't want to have to spend significant amount of time digging through google or forums...

Do you have a link to the media sonic thread?

post #16 of 129 Old 12-03-2013, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

i don't remember the links.

here's what i just googled right now (not sure if linking to another forum is frowned upon):

also, the last post is a guy asking how to do subchannels like 3-1, 3-2, etc. I read in another forum (should've bookmarked but forgot to) that a workaround is to say "3" twice to get to 3-2. say it 3 times to get to 3-3. at least that's what I remember. we'll find out soon enough. wonder if you will get it before me.

http://forum.mediasonic.ca/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=2040

some relevant posts:

The HW-150PVR is compatible with the Xbox One. Enter remote code N4076 in TV settings > Troubleshooting > Remote code > Cable box.

I just managed to get the HW150PVR working with Xbox One, One Guide integration, and Kinect voice control. Selecting a channel by voice results in the channel numbers being entered via Kinect/IR. It takes about 5 seconds for the code to be entered (you can see each digit appear as Kinect enters it) and for the HW to then change the channel, but it works.

I visited Xbox One Settings -> TV & OneGuide -> Cable or Satellite Box Model.
I entered Mediasonic as the Cable or Satellite Box Brand.
I entered HW as the Cable or Satellite Box Model, and it searched and gave me HW150PVR as the only choice I could choose.

I just purchased the HW150PVR on Amazon - delivered today - and when I looked at the software (firmware) version it says it is running v14, which I believe is one of the latest (depending on which remote control you have). I'm not sure if the latest firmware is necessary.

Loving it! Browsing by channel names and other OneGuide shortcuts is pretty cool.

I did notice that if the HW is in Timeshift mode (i.e. you pressed pause to start timeshift recording to USB) it doesn't let you change the channel. You have to press Stop to get out of timeshift mode first. I also ensured that the HW was pushed forward in the cabinet for maximum IR coverage.

One key thing that is easily overlooked, make sure you put in the model number. I wasn't able to manually enter the remote code without it, I kept getting the incompatible code error.
Aero 1 and Boston Litigator like this.
post #17 of 129 Old 12-03-2013, 12:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks

here's what i just googled right now (not sure if linking to another forum is frowned upon):

also, the last post is a guy asking how to do subchannels like 3-1, 3-2, etc. I read in another forum (should've bookmarked but forgot to) that a workaround is to say "3" twice to get to 3-2. say it 3 times to get to 3-3. at least that's what I remember. we'll find out soon enough. wonder if you will get it before me.

some relevant posts:

The HW-150PVR is compatible with the Xbox One. Enter remote code N4076 in TV settings > Troubleshooting > Remote code > Cable box.

I just managed to get the HW150PVR working with Xbox One, One Guide integration, and Kinect voice control. Selecting a channel by voice results in the channel numbers being entered via Kinect/IR. It takes about 5 seconds for the code to be entered (you can see each digit appear as Kinect enters it) and for the HW to then change the channel, but it works.

I entered HW as the Cable or Satellite Box Model, and it searched and gave me HW150PVR as the only choice I could choose.

I just purchased the HW150PVR on Amazon - delivered today - and when I looked at the software (firmware) version it says it is running v14, which I believe is one of the latest (depending on which remote control you have). I'm not sure if the latest firmware is necessary.

Loving it! Browsing by channel names and other OneGuide shortcuts is pretty cool.

I did notice that if the HW is in Timeshift mode (i.e. you pressed pause to start timeshift recording to USB) it doesn't let you change the channel. You have to press Stop to get out of timeshift mode first. I also ensured that the HW was pushed forward in the cabinet for maximum IR coverage.

One key thing that is easily overlooked, make sure you put in the model number. I wasn't able to manually enter the remote code without it, I kept getting the incompatible code error.

post #18 of 129 Old 12-03-2013, 12:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks

some relevant posts:

Thanks

post #19 of 129 Old 12-03-2013, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Damn, I missed out on the deal, but will be looking forward to your impressions with how it works.

Like I posted earlier, one guy was saying that the HW150PVR works, but that when he tried to tell it to switch to channel 5-1, it kept trying to take him to channel 51.

One of my main questions is, can you just say "Fox", "CBS', "NBC", "ABC" "PBS", without having to use the channel numbers ?

If you can record a video of how it all works, that would be really awesome. Also, if you could do a test on Sunday, when a NFL game is on one of the local channels, does it do anything special with that, in regards to the whole NFL thing ?
post #20 of 129 Old 12-03-2013, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Damn, I missed out on the deal, but will be looking forward to your impressions with how it works.

Like I posted earlier, one guy was saying that the HW150PVR works, but that when he tried to tell it to switch to channel 5-1, it kept trying to take him to channel 51.

One of my main questions is, can you just say "Fox", "CBS', "NBC", "ABC" "PBS", without having to use the channel numbers ?

If you can record a video of how it all works, that would be really awesome. Also, if you could do a test on Sunday, when a NFL game is on one of the local channels, does it do anything special with that, in regards to the whole NFL thing ?
I am very curious about this a well. If someone gets one working or has

I am wondering the same thing. Any more information would be great.
post #21 of 129 Old 12-03-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

The other thing to check is video quality. One nice thing about OTA, is that you can split the signal and loose zero picture quality. So you can run the antenna to the back of the TV, and use it's built in tuner, and you can also run it into the HW150PVR, and run that into the Xbox, and then try doing an A/B comparison between the two.

When I was at my buddies house, his cable box thru the XB1 looked pretty bad. It looked a lot better not going through the XB1. Not sure if that is a firmware issue with his cable box or what.

Ideally, you'd have two indentical TV's, and one of them you would use the built-in OTA tuner, and the other one you run through the HW150PVR and then into the Xbox hdmi in, and get a real, legit comparison to see if there is any video quality issues, but who owns two TV's of the exact same model # ?
post #22 of 129 Old 12-03-2013, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The other thing to check is video quality. One nice thing about OTA, is that you can split the signal and loose zero picture quality. So you can run the antenna to the back of the TV, and use it's built in tuner, and you can also run it into the HW150PVR, and run that into the Xbox, and then try doing an A/B comparison between the two.

When I was at my buddies house, his cable box thru the XB1 looked pretty bad. It looked a lot better not going through the XB1. Not sure if that is a firmware issue with his cable box or what.

Ideally, you'd have two indentical TV's, and one of them you would use the built-in OTA tuner, and the other one you run through the HW150PVR and then into the Xbox hdmi in, and get a real, legit comparison to see if there is any video quality issues, but who owns two TV's of the exact same model # ?

uhh... there's no way I'll do all that... tongue.gif

Here's the setup for the antenna for my house. It's located in the attic at the front of the house. The cable funnels down to the central box in the bedroom closet there. That box then runs cables to all the bedrooms. And my room is the master at the back of the house. And yes, my TV signal strength is worse in my bedroom than the rooms closer to the box.

I'm just going to do an eyeball test. I know what the TV picture is supposed to look like so if it passes the eyeball test, that's good enough for me.
post #23 of 129 Old 12-04-2013, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Anyone gotten TiVo Roamio to work with XBOX Oneguide? Not really all that important since the UI for the Tivo is pretty nice from what ive seen.......light years ahead of my crappy cable box. But would be kinda cool to use XB1 voice commands.

I am thinking about dumping cable TV and have been looking at the base Tivo Roamio + OTA Antenna.

Excluding the upfront cost of the Tivo it would cut down my monthly "TV" bill by almost 2/3.
post #24 of 129 Old 12-04-2013, 10:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post

Anyone gotten TiVo Roamio to work with XBOX Oneguide? Not really all that important since the UI for the Tivo is pretty nice from what ive seen.......light years ahead of my crappy cable box. But would be kinda cool to use XB1 voice commands.

I am thinking about dumping cable TV and have been looking at the base Tivo Roamio + OTA Antenna.

Excluding the upfront cost of the Tivo it would cut down my monthly "TV" bill by almost 2/3.
My Roamio works with the XBOne guide. My issue is that it uses remote code zero which controls every TiVo.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #25 of 129 Old 12-04-2013, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

My Roamio works with the XBOne guide. My issue is that it uses remote code zero which controls every TiVo.

Thanks. That is good to hear.

I need to get an antenna and see what kinda OTA signals I get on my system ...its been awhile since ive used OTA.

Sure would be nice to cut the cord......well except the broadband one =P
post #26 of 129 Old 12-04-2013, 01:30 PM

Liked: 13
Hmmm, tempted to get this. So I just run the antenna into the box, and then the box into the XB1 via HDMI, right?

I have a big Terk HD antenna a friend gave me about 5 or 6yrs ago, it's a powered one. Kinda off topic but I'm wonder if one this big is need nowdays, would a normal indoor one be fine? Like the little "card" looking one they show with that box, or other indoor ones I see at Best Buy and places? Found the pic of the one I have, it's over 4ft long, and screws into a little adapter that gets plugged into the wall, and another coax goes from the adapter to the TV. It doesn't work without the adapter. It's been fine for years though lately Fox HD has been SUPER touchy, like just moving it an inch can determine if I get Fox HD or not, it's really annoying and I have it laying across my living room to try and watch Family Guy or something. Where as anywhere it gets ABC, CBS, etc.

I just use this for "new" shows and watch everything else on Netflix and recently got Hulu. Been doing that for 5 or 6yrs now and works great and saves me a ton of money. I miss Comedy Central on cable, that's about it. The DVR option of the HW150PVR would be really nice, or does it only do "pausing" of live TV? If it does do DVR, can you record one channel while watching another? I'm assuming not but don't really know how that works with OTA.

Thanks!
post #27 of 129 Old 12-04-2013, 02:34 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:

FYI I'm pretty sure that Newegg waives the restocking fee on most items during the holidays. Check the specs tab at the bottom to be sure though.
post #28 of 129 Old 12-04-2013, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizman7 View Post

Hmmm, tempted to get this. So I just run the antenna into the box, and then the box into the XB1 via HDMI, right?

I have a big Terk HD antenna a friend gave me about 5 or 6yrs ago, it's a powered one. Kinda off topic but I'm wonder if one this big is need nowdays, would a normal indoor one be fine? Like the little "card" looking one they show with that box, or other indoor ones I see at Best Buy and places? Found the pic of the one I have, it's over 4ft long, and screws into a little adapter that gets plugged into the wall, and another coax goes from the adapter to the TV. It doesn't work without the adapter. It's been fine for years though lately Fox HD has been SUPER touchy, like just moving it an inch can determine if I get Fox HD or not, it's really annoying and I have it laying across my living room to try and watch Family Guy or something. Where as anywhere it gets ABC, CBS, etc.

I just use this for "new" shows and watch everything else on Netflix and recently got Hulu. Been doing that for 5 or 6yrs now and works great and saves me a ton of money. I miss Comedy Central on cable, that's about it. The DVR option of the HW150PVR would be really nice, or does it only do "pausing" of live TV? If it does do DVR, can you record one channel while watching another? I'm assuming not but don't really know how that works with OTA.

Thanks![/quote

There's only one way to know if the Terk will work and that's to hook it up and try it. There's too many variables to figure in to know if it will work without trying it. How far are the towers from where you live? Are there any tall buildings, trees, etc... All kind of stuff like that. I used to have my antenna in the living room but got tired of having to move it depending on what channel I wanted to watch. Moved the antenna up to the attic and it work's great. My antenna looks something like this: http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?mc=03&p=4220-HD&d=Channel-Master-4220HD-2Bay-HDTVUHF-TV-Antenna-(4220HD)&c=TV%20Antennas&sku=

This website will help you with info on what type of antenna and signal strength for the channels available in your area: http://www.antennaweb.org/
post #29 of 129 Old 12-05-2013, 03:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Help me out. With this box and the One can you record television shows or only watch live via the One?

Mathematics is the reason for the season.

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Ogive

post #30 of 129 Old 12-05-2013, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickff View Post

Help me out. With this box and the One can you record television shows or only watch live via the One?

The Xbox One itself doesn't record live TV. However, the HW150PVR does have some record abilties if you hook up an external drive to it, but I don't have the thing yet, so have no idea how that part of it works.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page