Will Xbox One hurt my video quality from Tivo Roamio? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-05-2013, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If I pass through my video from my Tivo Roamio, through the Xbox One, and to the receiver, will it hurt TV image quality? I read some people on the Tivo forums saying they thought it did... but I never read anything more official than that. Any thoughts on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-06-2013, 04:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The video from my TiVo Premier is absolutely degraded as it passes through the XB1.

"Passes through" is probably incorrect. The XB1 adds a couple seconds of delay to the signal and visibly darkens/oversharpens the picture.

I've completely disconnected my TiVo from the XB1 and am just using it as a standard console until they sort out the video issues (hopefully possible through software updates).

The picture problems have made me, and several of my friends, completely disregard one of the XB1's signature features. Microsoft needs to solve this fast. But unfortunately outside of enthusiast forums, I haven't seem much press mentioning it. Yet. So who knows if it's a priority.

It's subtle enough that most joe consumers won't notice, but for those of us with calibrated sets who frequent this forum the video problem makes XB1 a non-starter as a media hub.

As a games console? Different story entirely. smile.gif
post #3 of 9 Old 12-06-2013, 11:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked: 809
Did you go through the basic calibration settings with the XBOne? Once I did that the picture from my Roamio was not darker any more. Although I must say the brightness settings needed on my XBOne are much higher than any other device I have. but once set right the brightness matches my other devices.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #4 of 9 Old 12-06-2013, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I went through the setup, and it's still oversharp/dark.

The more I play with it the more I despise what the XB1 is doing to my picture quality ... this is JV stuff. If they expect to be taken even remotely seriously in most home theater setups they can't be monkeying with the picture.

But you have to cut MS some slack I guess. This is a 1.0 product clearly, and MS has no real experience with passing through TV. Just disappointing.

The 2-3 second delay their XB1 processing does to my TV signal will be enough to throw off the football sync when I'm throwing (rather large) playoff parties ... I have a TV in my living room with XB1 and another in my kitchen, and having one TV 2-3 seconds behind the other messes up the game when I can hear my friends in the kitchen cheer a touchdown before anyone in the living room sees it. So I've completely unplugged my XB1 from the TiVo.

edit 1: I know this football scenario is rather unique and I'm not implying it's a dealbreaker for anyone but me.

But the decision to go with IR blasting instead of working out relationships with cable companies and satellite and TiVo to be able to use the home network to change channels (ie like the TiVo ipad app) means all my channel changes are a bit sluggish and laggy, which my wife also complains about.

I'm just disappointed in general with the TV integration, which is a bummer since that's the biggest thing MS decided to put forward in the first place. They shouldn't have released it in the state it's in, where it adds this dark sharpening filter to everything.

My blacks during Vampire Diaries now look crushed. Which sucks because that's a dark show to begin with.

edit 2: Please don't think less of me for watching Vampire Diaries. It just gets me in the feels, I don't know why.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-09-2013, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a Tivo XL4, passing through my XB1 to my preamp and from their to my JVC RS1 front projector, which shows in 1080P on a 100" screen.

Before I used the MS supplied cable to connect the XB1 to the AVR, the picture was substantially degraded. I was using a hefty (and pricey) Audioquest HDMI cable. After, it is either only slightly degraded in terms of sharpness, or not degraded at all. Brightness is unaffected. I changed nothing about the display calibration. Overall, I'm perfectly happy to have the image go through my XB1.

Jeffnebraska
After 7 Years With a JVC RS1 - Starting to Get the Upgrade Itch
post #6 of 9 Old 12-09-2013, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I would add that the experience of playing a Bluray through the XB1 stinks. It is inferior, in several respects, to my PS3. So, I'm not a fanboy by any means.

Jeffnebraska
After 7 Years With a JVC RS1 - Starting to Get the Upgrade Itch
post #7 of 9 Old 12-10-2013, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffNebraska View Post

I would add that the experience of playing a Bluray through the XB1 stinks. It is inferior, in several respects, to my PS3. So, I'm not a fanboy by any means.

What kind of inferior experience are you talking about? I watched several 2D Bluray movies on X1 and they all looked and sounded phenomenal. Mind you I am not easily impressed. As far as TV picture quality goes, for me it looks about the same as if I had it plugged directly in the TV. No issues whatsoever. Even 5.1 sound works on certain channels.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-26-2013, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What are you guys seeing in terms of audio output? Before the XB1 my receiver indicated the audio signal as PCM and decoded it internally. Now it indicates the audio signal as DTS (I switched it from 7.1 to DTS in the XB1 settings).
post #9 of 9 Old 12-27-2013, 06:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by razor488 View Post

What are you guys seeing in terms of audio output? Before the XB1 my receiver indicated the audio signal as PCM and decoded it internally. Now it indicates the audio signal as DTS (I switched it from 7.1 to DTS in the XB1 settings).

??? It's showing DTS because you have DTS selected for output. I use mine with PCM output so I need to switch between 7.1, 5.1, and 2.0 PCM output depending on the number of audio channels with the source material. Of course from the ROamio I will only choose 2.0 and 5.1 since broadcast content doesn't exceed 5.1. I just hope they have an update soon that will dynamically change the audio output to match the number of source audio channels, like the output should have been from the beginning.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Xbox One Console Standard Edition

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page