Anybody feel guilty about watching TV or Netflix on their XB1 / PS4 (Power Usage) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 12-05-2013, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 145
I'm posting this in the Xbox area because I feel like more XB1 owners will probably be using their machine for non-gaming functions, so it's a bit more appropriate over here, but the issue applies to PS4 as well. As an owner of both of the new next-gen systems, I feel a bit guilty when it's being used for Netflix. I don't have an OTA tuner with hdmi out yet for my XB1 (most likely coming soon), so haven't been watching actual TV on my consoles, but have been watching Netflix, Amazon Prime, FoxNow, etc, etc.

I just feel like having such a powerful machine running while simply watching Netflix or TV, is a huge waste of energy. I wouldn't say that I'm in the tree hugger camp, but I do try to recycle, and try to be somewhat mindful of unnecessary waste. I don't like leaving lights on in rooms that aren't being used, etc, etc. Now, if I had one of those tiny Roku boxes, I'd feel like the amount of energy being used to watch Netflix would be way less.

I know that these new systems have low power modes, but when running Netflix, is it like 5 times the power used of a Roku ? I imagine it would be.

The other thing that concerns me, is that I just bought two systems with a grand total nearing 1 grand for both of them combined, when you factor in tax and everything. I just feel like if the system is on and running, it should be running a legit game, not being used as a freaking Roku box. I'm very interested in using the Xbox One with a OTA tuner box, if onlysublime's review of the HW150PVR turns out to be positive. I don't watch all that much TV, normally only if there is a sporting event on NBC or CBS or FOX or something. Like the World Series or NBA Finals or Sunday football games on FOX and CBS and the Sunday Night game on NBC. I used to watch Lost live back in the day, but there really aren't any programs on live TV that I set my watch to. I use Netflix and Amazon more for TV shows on demand, but the idea of the TV use on Xbox just seems cool and interesting and worth messing around with.

At the same time, I think I'm going to feel a bit guilty running this powerful machine, with it's own power brick, etc, etc. just to watch freaking TV. It just seems like a huge waste of energy. I kinda felt the same way back when we would primarily use the PS3 to watch Netflix on. Seems like a huge waste of energy, but maybe with the new power saving features of these systems, maybe they are actually using less power when running Netflix than the 360 and PS3 use when running Netflix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-05-2013, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I watch Netflix on my 360 which is running through my One. So I guess I dont feel guilty at all.

Consider the unparalleled advantage, of a natural disaster that's impossible to manage.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-05-2013, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpthree View Post

I watch Netflix on my 360 which is running through my One. So I guess I dont feel guilty at all.

Why would you watch it thru the 360 ? Why not use the Xbox One Netflix ?
post #4 of 13 Old 12-06-2013, 03:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
So many people have so many more wasteful hobbies then me that I don't really worry about it.
i dont fly up in planes just to jump out.
I dont have helicopters take me to tops of mountains so i can slide down them.
I don't race cars... except in Froza which is way less wasteful than the other way wink.gif.
I don't own a boat or boats (Al Gore) or a big car.

You let people who are more wastful than you guilt you into not doing what you want that doesnt hurt anything. Hell environmental protestors who drive to protest or take their boats to annoy the russians waste more money that you do with all of your game systems. I wouldnt really worry about it, I mean look at your electric bill do you see a huge spike on it? I don't, according to my power company my house is still more effeicient than the average house in my neighborhood (they send us periodic reports).
post #5 of 13 Old 12-06-2013, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 55
No I don't feel guilty, but if you do, then buy a Roku.
I bought the xb1 to use it as a single box for everything and that's what I am going to do.
post #6 of 13 Old 12-06-2013, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
I would feel more guilty if I used the Roku because I would stifle job growth in the energy industry.

disclaimer: I write software for oil rigs

xbl/gamecenter: leff4
psn/twitter: ileff
my app: video poker clock
post #7 of 13 Old 12-06-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 611
I feel more guilty about the standby mode which uses 16 watts than I do about using Netflix. I haven't used my XBOne since Wednesday night. So it's been sitting there, constantly drawing 16 watts just to hear me say "Xbox...On"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

I know that these new systems have low power modes, but when running Netflix, is it like 5 times the power used of a Roku ? I imagine it would be.

More like 35x the power. The XBOne uses around 70 watts while the Roku uses around 2 watts.

Well the Roku 2 uses around 2 watts and the Roku 3 uses around 3.5 watts. So the XBOne uses around 35x the power of the Roku 2 and around 20x the power of a Roku 3.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #8 of 13 Old 12-06-2013, 11:42 AM

Liked: 27
I leave mine on standby mode just so it starts quicker....the "xbox on" doesn't even work for me! I think its a software bug though. I'd be more worried about money in my pocket going to the utility bill than being green.
post #9 of 13 Old 12-06-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I feel more guilty about the standby mode which uses 16 watts than I do about using Netflix. I haven't used my XBOne since Wednesday night. So it's been sitting there, constantly drawing 16 watts just to hear me say "Xbox...On"

That's the one thing I don't quite understand. I mean, there's probably some architectural (or cost) reason to it preventing this from happening, but from an outside perspective, it doesn't seem to make much sense to me that they don't have a low-powered ARM coprocessor for the "Xbox On" command, similar to what Motorola does with the Moto X and it's "Ok Google Now" command.

And as for the slow boots with the power off, that part seems really ridiculous to me. I know that again cost was probably the factor preventing this, but I can reboot Windows 8 off an SSD in ~4 seconds. And even with an HDD, it's usually around ~30 seconds. So why does it take so long for the One? Hopefully that'll be improved over time as the OS is further optimized.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #10 of 13 Old 12-07-2013, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 193
all the tvs in my home flows thru a home theater pc with an AMD A10 5800k processor. Its on 24/7 as a DVR and WMC/Plex server. The cpu is a 100 watt tdp. The XB1 is estimated to be about the same at max power.

for the longest time the tv in my bedroom required not only the htpc running but a 360 as well. Now I can just use it for gaming and occasionally Slingbox.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #11 of 13 Old 12-07-2013, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Someone always told me that the oil/gas/coal plants have their daily quota of energy produced in order to meet peak demand to avoid brownouts. So whether you use it or not, the fossil fuels are being burned to meet demand in your region. You should only feel guilty about paying for it.
post #12 of 13 Old 12-07-2013, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

That's the one thing I don't quite understand. I mean, there's probably some architectural (or cost) reason to it preventing this from happening, but from an outside perspective, it doesn't seem to make much sense to me that they don't have a low-powered ARM coprocessor for the "Xbox On" command, similar to what Motorola does with the Moto X and it's "Ok Google Now" command.

And as for the slow boots with the power off, that part seems really ridiculous to me. I know that again cost was probably the factor preventing this, but I can reboot Windows 8 off an SSD in ~4 seconds. And even with an HDD, it's usually around ~30 seconds. So why does it take so long for the One? Hopefully that'll be improved over time as the OS is further optimized.

The difference is 3 OS in the Xbox One vs Windows 8. Time and as u pointed out optimization is why it takes a long cycle from an off status. Been using my standby since the midnight launch and love the convenience. I agree it is a long time but I am sure it will get better like it did with operating systems over the years.

The 5.0 is here
post #13 of 13 Old 12-07-2013, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Here is how quick my standby is from saying Xbox On to being logged in.

The 5.0 is here
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page