We've got to stand up for our rights as gamers, call and complain about... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 44 Old 12-16-2013, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Ok, we all know how all this microtransaction bullcrap is being included at every twist and turn in these full priced retail games. Anybody that has played Forza 5 knows exactly what I'm talking about.

As gamers, we need to make ourselves heard loud and clear about this crap. I highly encourage anybody that cares at all about this to call 1 800 4 my xbox and register an official complaint about the nickel and diming in full retail games. If we can make enough of an uproar about this, maybe we can head this trend off at the pass, and make these companies think twice about trying to have their cake and eat it too.

I have no problem with Free to Play games. I have no problem with Killer Instinct. What I do have a problem with, is when I pay the full $65 for a game, and every twist and turn I'm being asked to cough up additional real world monies, just to enjoy the game that I thought I was getting when I paid my 65 snaps.

By the way, so I called the 1 800 4 My Xbox number, to officially register my displeasure with the way Forza 5 was handled, and the customer service guy there said that I should complain to the actual developer Turn 10. He game me a number for Turn 10

1 (425) 882 8080

So, I called that number, expecting to get some kind of customer service person for Turn 10, or some type of community manager person, or a recording or something. Instead, it was an automated system that wanted a specific last name of an employee. I said "operator", and then got a live operator, and told her that I wanted to talk to somebody at Turn 10. She said, "I just need a last name and then I can forward you to them". The only Turn 10 employee that I know off the top of my head is Dan Greenawalt, so I just told her "Greenawalt", and I was transfered to dudes voice mail, lol.

I left him a message about how they should either make Free to Play games, or full retail games, but please don't think that it's acceptable to try to do both.

Anyways, I just think that if we could have thousands and thousands of people calling and complaining, that maybe we can effect some bit of change as to how this stuff is going to play out this generation. It seems pretty obvious that Microsoft has a mandate to try to include as many microtransactions as humanly possible into each and every game they put out, regardless of whether it's a full retail release or not. We need to try to let them know that this is unacceptable behavior, or we are going to have to deal with this crap for the next 7 years. So please, if any of this bothers you in any way, shape or form, please pick up the phone and call 1-800 - 4 My Xbox, and register an official complaint about this. If you purchased Forza 5, and are unhappy with the content that is actually available to you for your hard earned bucks, then go ahead and call Turn 10 as well, and leave a voice mail on an employees phone voicing your displeasure.

Please try to be civil in your complaints. Profanities and stuff like that will just get your concerns ignored, so try to be respectful and civil, while at the same time being a very "disappointed " customer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 12-16-2013, 10:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 751
I have no problem with micro-transactions. But I do have an issue with the way Turn 10 does it. So I pay for a car pack to get access to the cars. But then I still have to purchase the car in game with either points or tokens that I've paid more money for. It just seems like double dipping to me. But if my initial micro-transaction purchase got me those cars in the game, then I have no issue with that. I also paid $60 for the Digital Download of Forza 5.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #3 of 44 Old 12-16-2013, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, if you have problems with any of it, I would suggest logging an official complaint.

Since your complaint is more specific to Forza 5 call 1 425 882 8080 and ask for the voice mail of Dan Greenawalt. Just leave a short and sweet message about how you feel that the double dipping is unacceptable.

I know that most will think.... "Man, I'm not going to waste my time actually calling that guy, and if I was him I wouldn't want to hear all this crap on my voice mail" , but hey, you paid your hard earned cash for this, and you didn't put a gun to Turn 10's head and force them to do this stuff, so might as well register a complaint, and hope that will have some effect towards the future. Maybe with Forza 6 they will think twice about some of this nickel and diming stuff.
post #4 of 44 Old 12-16-2013, 11:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 751
If Forza 6 turns out to be Forza Horizons 2, I would have a better time swallowing the current micro transactions. Because I really enjoyed Forza Horizons much better than regular Forza. And feel I would get my moneys worth from a Forza Horizons 2. As it is with Forza 5, there is no way I will get my moneys worth from the $150+ I've spent for the game and micro-transactions.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #5 of 44 Old 12-16-2013, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

As it is with Forza 5, there is no way I will get my moneys worth from the $150+ I've spent for the game and micro-transactions.

Damn bro.....

You gotta resist the temptations to pay that extra money. We have to vote with our wallets. Truthfully, I shouldn't even have purchased Forza 5, because by doing so, I'm part of the problem. I didn't know the microtransactions were as bad as they were, so I kinda bought blindly, and didn't know any better. But I can guarantee that I won't be paying one red cent for anything else. The only thing I would be willing to buy would be extra tracks, but it's my full expectation that extra tracks will be priced ridiculously, and I'll pass on that as well. 13 tracks is pretty much lame sauce. They should have a free track pack just to make up for the lack of tracks.
post #6 of 44 Old 12-16-2013, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I wish you luck. I have several software engineer buddies that work in the video game industry and the stuff they tell me about all the "experiments" we will be seeing this generation from publishers and designers hoping to find that next revenue generating business model is crazy.
post #7 of 44 Old 12-16-2013, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 287
I am really getting tired of hearing people complain about Forza 5. You aren't required to pay these fees, it is a way for you to do it if you don't want to put the time in to unlock everything. If they withheld races or levels of games, then I could understand it, but this is a little off.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #8 of 44 Old 12-16-2013, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
I haven't even checked out Forza 5 micros yet but I wish I only had $150 into Forza 5, I built this which the cockpit was cheap like $60 but the wheel was $400 + $60 for the game and am blown away at this generation on a 12' screen. Most amazing race sim ever. Do you need the Micros with the hundreds of cars they have available? I would pay for some rally race tracks and more Prague style tracks in a heart beat

onlysublime and beach scrub like this.
post #9 of 44 Old 12-16-2013, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Damn bro.....

You gotta resist the temptations to pay that extra money. We have to vote with our wallets. Truthfully, I shouldn't even have purchased Forza 5, because by doing so, I'm part of the problem. I didn't know the microtransactions were as bad as they were, so I kinda bought blindly, and didn't know any better. But I can guarantee that I won't be paying one red cent for anything else. The only thing I would be willing to buy would be extra tracks, but it's my full expectation that extra tracks will be priced ridiculously, and I'll pass on that as well. 13 tracks is pretty much lame sauce. They should have a free track pack just to make up for the lack of tracks.

Actually, buying the base game but not supporting any of the micro transactions is, in my opinion, a great way to send a clear message that while you support the game you will not buy into the unnecessary cash grab or economy system that has been implemented. That's what I do when games that I like implement this kind of system.

On the plus side, I think its safe to say that Turn 10 is aware of the widespread dissatisfaction and their recent and upcoming moves are a step in the right direction and a sign that most people are not supporting the model they tried to implement.
AHDTVDiet and pittsoccer33 like this.
post #10 of 44 Old 12-16-2013, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark P View Post

I haven't even checked out Forza 5 micros yet but I wish I only had $150 into Forza 5, I built this which the cockpit was cheap like $60 but the wheel was $400 + $60 for the game and am blown away at this generation on a 12' screen. Most amazing race sim ever. Do you need the Micros with the hundreds of cars they have available? I would pay for some rally race tracks and more Prague style tracks in a heart beat

Your racing seat is pretty cool. Do you have any instructions for building it?
post #11 of 44 Old 12-16-2013, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 519
they're lowering the cost of the cars as well as making a slew of other changes already. couple that with the fact that you earn credits even when you're not playing and things are looking good.

having to earn credits/money to unlock cars has been in Forza forever. Even with bought DLC, you still had to have earned enough credits to unlock the cars. I experienced this with FM4 (heck, you could look back in the FM4 thread and see me asking why you had to unlock cars that you bought via DLC). Otherwise, it would be pay to win with the people who bought the DLC could get the best cars automatically.

There was always grinding in Forza and Gran Turismo. If you don't want to take the shortcut and pay and avoid grinding, you're perfectly able to. I plan on sinking zero additional money into FM5 except for DLC of course.
post #12 of 44 Old 12-16-2013, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

whenever I see this picture, I keep thinking where did you grab the car seat from? biggrin.gif If I had to guess, it came from a minivan?
post #13 of 44 Old 12-16-2013, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

whenever I see this picture, I keep thinking where did you grab the car seat from? biggrin.gif If I had to guess, it came from a minivan?
Yep! A friend had a handicapped child. 2001 Caravan stylin! I can go get a black Jetta seat but I'm too lazy to take it out of the car
post #14 of 44 Old 12-16-2013, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd1010 View Post

Your racing seat is pretty cool. Do you have any instructions for building it?
I modified these by not using the gearshift rail that goes from bottom rear right up to wheel support. I just made 2 left hand sides and I used one 2" electrical conduit 90 in front

post #15 of 44 Old 12-17-2013, 05:25 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

That's awesome man! Have you ever tried iRacing? I haven't yet (PC not good enough) but plan to in the future.

PSN ID: Budracin8808

XBOX Live Gamertag: budracin88
post #16 of 44 Old 12-17-2013, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budracin8 View Post

That's awesome man! Have you ever tried iRacing? I haven't yet (PC not good enough) but plan to in the future.
No I haven't, I stumbled back into this when I was at Bestbuy or somewhere and saw Forza 5 being played on a 60" HD and thought " wow" so I bought it and got home and raced a few times and thought " I need a wheel NOW" Went and bought a wheel and built this thing and the wife was the first to use it. The thrust master wheel took a lot of tweaking but we finally got it figured out and she raced Prague and during one of the s-curves she said she felt nauseas a couple times during the race. I was kind of wondering what she was talking about so I grabbed the wheel and took it for a spin and was blown away on the realism and also got the nausea sensation she was talking about. I wouldn't call it nausea as much as it seems when you fill your entire field of view and use a driving rig with the strong feedback wheel it seems your brain actually thinks your driving and must dig something out from deep in it's memory banks to give you these sensations. I absolutely don't know how but you even get the sense you are catching air over pot holes and such in the road, the Force Feedback in this game is just amazing.

That iRacing looks good but if its PC I haven't owned a PC in years except a laptop for firmware updates on items
post #17 of 44 Old 12-17-2013, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

If anyone makes one of these you can either go above or below the front support for the pedals, above is like Formula 1 type and the pedals have that feel, I felt it was slightly more comfortable lowering it below giving it more of a Corvette feel
post #18 of 44 Old 12-17-2013, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

I am really getting tired of hearing people complain about Forza 5. You aren't required to pay these fees, it is a way for you to do it if you don't want to put the time in to unlock everything. If they withheld races or levels of games, then I could understand it, but this is a little off.

My take on Microtransactions, is that as long as you make it extremely optional, and you don't stick it in my face all the time, I'm cool with it. If the microtransaction stuff is way in the background, and I never have to be exposed to it, unless I'm specifically looking for it, then I'm cool with it.

Unfortunately, with Forza 5, if you want to get some of the higher end cars without paying any real world money, you have to grind to an extreme degree. I don't mind grinding for cars, as was mentioned earlier, it's always been a part of Forza and Gran Turismo to grind for cars, but it just seems like the grinding in Forza 5 has been taken to unheard of heights. Moderation is the key word. You take something to an extreme, and you're going to really piss people off, and that's what they did in the beginning. I know they are backtracking now, and trying to do as much damage control as possible, but it doesn't change the fact that their greed level was at an all-time high.

I'm also fully aware that there is about a 99 percent chance that none of this was actually Turn 10's idea. I'm sure it came from the management above Turn 10, that is making this a thing in ALL the Xbox 1 games published by Microsoft.

My intention with this thread wasn't to specifically talk a ton of smack about Forza 5. Forza 5 just happens to be the most obvious use of this new method, but it's not just Forza 5. There are plenty of microtransactions to be had in all kinds of games, but the Forza 5 stuff just seemed really egregious to me.

The more important thing to take away, is that this stuff is starting to leak into every genre of video gaming, and unless we raise a **** storm about it, it's going to proliferate to a crazy extent, and every single game will be littered with microtransactions at every turn. If you're cool with that, then just continue to enjoy the games you get and pay it no mind. If any of this stuff is really bothersome to you, then please speak up about it, and make yourself heard. Vote with your wallets, and log an official complaint with Microsoft.

Some may say that it's already too late to do anything about this, because the train has left the station, and that might be true, but I still think we should give it the 'ol college try.
post #19 of 44 Old 12-17-2013, 08:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 1426
Quote:

they're lowering the cost of the cars as well as making a slew of other changes already. couple that with the fact that you earn credits even when you're not playing and things are looking good.

having to earn credits/money to unlock cars has been in Forza forever. Even with bought DLC, you still had to have earned enough credits to unlock the cars. I experienced this with FM4 (heck, you could look back in the FM4 thread and see me asking why you had to unlock cars that you bought via DLC). Otherwise, it would be pay to win with the people who bought the DLC could get the best cars automatically.

There was always grinding in Forza and Gran Turismo. If you don't want to take the shortcut and pay and avoid grinding, you're perfectly able to. I plan on sinking zero additional money into FM5 except for DLC of course.

Ask yourself this though....why should you have to grind? And even if you accept some grind as part of the fun, don't you see the conflict of interest here? Maybe the grind wouldn't be such a slog if not for the microtransactions? They're incentivized to stretch it out.

You can see it clear as day with BF vs COD. In previous cods, you could unlock all the gear in one prestige run (around 24 hours). It takes at least 100+ hours to unlock everything in BF3 (and I assume BF4). Guess which game lets you buy a "shortcut" to get those guns quicker?

I lodge my complaints by writing a game off my list as soon as I hear it has microtransactions for anything non-cosmetic. I'm just not participating in that nonsense. "Optional" microtransactions are just a facade meant to sucker you in to believing they're being honorable about it...which only makes it more despicable. If a gameplay mechanic is so tedious that you'd actually consider paying money to skip past it, then it's bad game design, period. Don't pat the devs on the back for giving you the privilege of subverting their bad game design. Punish them by not buying their bad game.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #20 of 44 Old 12-17-2013, 08:46 PM

Liked: 18
You don't have to spend a dime. What a ridiculous complaint. Like it has been said many times, Don't buy any token/cars.
AHDTVDiet likes this.
post #21 of 44 Old 12-17-2013, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Ask yourself this though....why should you have to grind? And even if you accept some grind as part of the fun, don't you see the conflict of interest here? .

grinding has been in gaming since the dawn of gaming. you grind in Final Fantasy. You grind in Call of Duty. You grind in Castle Crashers. You grind in pretty much every game. If every game started you out at max abilities, it would diminish the drive to level up your character.
AHDTVDiet likes this.
post #22 of 44 Old 12-17-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:

Ask yourself this though....why should you have to grind? And even if you accept some grind as part of the fun, don't you see the conflict of interest here? Maybe the grind wouldn't be such a slog if not for the microtransactions? They're incentivized to stretch it out.

That's the way the game has alway been since the first one.

I'm not even saying they're right or you're wrong, but you can't possibly feel duped, if it's the same system that has always existed. You knew going in you were going to have to play, to get access to certain cars.

Why not call and complain that we can't jump to the ending of every. other. game. ever?

Movies don't make you do that, you can watch the end first if you want.

If you feel wronged, by all means complain, and if you don't like the game's setup, vote with your dollars and do not buy it, but in this case it seems like it's exactly what was expected so being outraged is kinda weird.
post #23 of 44 Old 12-18-2013, 03:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I was going to get all the digital "Day One Edition" game releases, but they only sold the DR3 DOE in their (downloadable) store. What irked me was it was a "premium" edition or something, which meant it included a bunch of add-ons at extra cost...$90 total. I bought it, and by the time I finished downloading the game I found myself asking "WHY?"--that crap really isn't that important to me. So that will never happen again. The idea of microtransactions and DLC, has never felt right to me...of course I stopped considering myself a true gamer before that stuff caught on, so I'm probably not the sucker they want me to be--I mean their targeted demographic. Heck I'm still not subscribed to LIVE GOLD even though I told myself I'd try it out this time around...oh well, they got $500 (Day One console) + $120 ( bought 2 extra controllers because my "Day One" controller's left trigger was stuck in firing mode, and thus unusable) + $90 (Dead Rising Day One Premium Retarded Edition)...that's $710 total so far. I think I'll wait a few years before buying another game, to see if they'll bring down the price of downloadable games--like say when DR4 comes out they'll bundle all DR3 content into one package and sell it for $20-$30 bucks instead of $90...that's when I'll buy from now on. Even though $90 doesn't hurt me, spending that much for a game that doesn't include a giant statue or extra controller or whatever--it's just wrong.

You can offer as much feedback as you want--I commend those of you that do--but for me, I prefer to vote with my wallet...and right now, I'm done spending on games--I'm just hoping they'll offer 3d Blu-ray support soon so I can use my XB1 as my primary player. Not needing to use a remote for pause and resume is pretty nice.

thread closed
post #24 of 44 Old 12-18-2013, 03:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 1426
Quote:

grinding has been in gaming since the dawn of gaming. you grind in Final Fantasy. You grind in Call of Duty. You grind in Castle Crashers. You grind in pretty much every game. If every game started you out at max abilities, it would diminish the drive to level up your character.

It's not about getting every ability from the start, or skipping right to the end. It's only a grind when it ceases to be enjoyable. Because otherwise, why would you ever consider paying?

A good progression is tuned to be enjoyable all the way through. Every time there's a monetary incentive, it's tuned to squeeze you for some cash. They're ripping the RMAH out of diablo 3 because it made the game less fun. Everyone's fears came true - since they stood to gain from the auctions, they neutered the drop rate for the best loot so people would rely on the AH for their gear. Sure, you could technically still grind it out, but it took way longer. At least they had the courage to admit it made the game less fun.

Microtransactions fundamentally corrupt the design process. It's not the same grind anymore, even though it looks that way on the surface. The progression is no longer about your enjoyment, it's about subtly frustrating or boring you to the point where you'll spend money to relieve it. They just have to walk a finer line than FTP games.

You're not playing the game...the game is playing you.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #25 of 44 Old 12-18-2013, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMastr View Post

I was going to get all the digital "Day One Edition" game releases, but they only sold the DR3 DOE in their (downloadable) store. What irked me was it was a "premium" edition or something, which meant it included a bunch of add-ons at extra cost...$90 total. I bought it, and by the time I finished downloading the game I found myself asking "WHY?"--that crap really isn't that important to me....
The Day One Edition of DR3 included only Frank West, Chuck Greene, and two extra weapons. The Premium edition also includes the season pass and some other outfit. I was able to download the Day One Edition on December 2nd and can confirm that it included the Frank and Chuck outfits and their special weapons. It was $60. I actually don't recall if it was called the Day One Edition in the download store or if, once you clicked on the normal version of the game, it just mentioned that it included Frank, Chuck, and the weapons for a limited time (I think until December 5). That may be where the confusion comes in.

Xbox/PS/WiiU gamertag: GoNats
Apple Game Center: iGoNats

post #26 of 44 Old 12-18-2013, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 234
I'm with the group that votes with their wallet. I'm all for DLC as long as they add to a story that would be just as complete without it. The DLC needs only to scratch my itch to play more of the story because I'm enjoying it so much. Sort of like Bioware does with its Mass Effect DLC. The other stuff is just pure garbage to me. Skins...weapon packages etc are worthless IMO. And I wouldn't pay a dime for them. ANd if they were absolutely necessary to play or finish a game...I'd feel completely ripped off by a pack of crooks selling me an incomplete product for full retail price.

I actually agree with BD2003's comment above..."You're not playing the game...the game is playing you." I am real queasy about everything associated with Next Generation console gaming so far. And that includes the hardware and software. I simply do no like the direction of anything around it. BD described it perfectly for me. I felt like I was being played. So I stayed away. My antipathy ranges from games like the ones mentioned on this thread...to ones like Destiny. That will force me to play with a team to experience it's full enjoyment. It sounds more like a profiling & recruiting tool for Seal Team 6...CIA...or Military Operations than a damn game to me. And I'm sure it too will be bloated with micro-tranactions that drive your total cost well above $200 per game. $150 for Forza 5? I'm ecstatic that I stayed away...and just doubled down on Xbox 360 & PS3. I'm perfectly happy buying cheapo last gen games that look great on my HDTV. And I now have the full 3000+ game library of PS3 games to scrutinize/play with my Xbox 360 controller with CronusMAX Core. That's how I voted. With my wallet.

Those companies keep ripping people off like this...and gaming as we know it will go away. And maybe that's a good thing. Because something newer...better...fresher...will emerge that is much less Wall street driven.
post #27 of 44 Old 12-18-2013, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 716
Quote:

It's not about getting every ability from the start, or skipping right to the end. It's only a grind when it ceases to be enjoyable. Because otherwise, why would you ever consider paying?

A good progression is tuned to be enjoyable all the way through. Every time there's a monetary incentive, it's tuned to squeeze you for some cash. They're ripping the RMAH out of diablo 3 because it made the game less fun. Everyone's fears came true - since they stood to gain from the auctions, they neutered the drop rate for the best loot so people would rely on the AH for their gear. Sure, you could technically still grind it out, but it took way longer. At least they had the courage to admit it made the game less fun.

Microtransactions fundamentally corrupt the design process. It's not the same grind anymore, even though it looks that way on the surface. The progression is no longer about your enjoyment, it's about subtly frustrating or boring you to the point where you'll spend money to relieve it. They just have to walk a finer line than FTP games.

You're not playing the game...the game is playing you.

please leave these types of logical, common sense posts out of this thread... it doesn't belong smile.gif
post #28 of 44 Old 12-18-2013, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

A natural grinding/ progression system is one thing. A game where the grinding aspect is deliberately designed to be a chore to play through, expressly for the purpose of 'coercing' you into spending more money to unlock things to actually make the game enjoyable, is I believe what is being argued here by some posters. Sure its technically a 'choice' to buy the microtransactions or not, that doesnt forgive the tactic of making the progression system near manual labor to play through. I thought this was supposed to be a fun hobby?

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #29 of 44 Old 12-18-2013, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

A natural grinding/ progression system is one thing. A game where the grinding aspect is deliberately designed to be a chore to play through, expressly for the purpose of 'coercing' you into spending more money to unlock things to actually make the game enjoyable, is I believe what is being argued here by some posters. Sure its technically a 'choice' to buy the microtransactions or not, that doesnt forgive the tactic of making the progression system near manual labor to play through. I thought this was supposed to be a fun hobby?

Well, if you look at the people most complaining, I don't think they're actually disliking Forza Motorsport 5. They're more arguing the concept of microtransactions and using FM5 as the platform to vent. FM5 is a ton of fun and I'm sure they will attest to that. Turn10 is doing updates to address many of the issues that people have so this arguing is more for arguing microtransactions than for FM5 itself. Apparently, people think grinding is brand new to FM5. it's been in Forza and Gran Turismo forever. Sure, you can look at the microtransaction systems of FM5 and Gran Turismo 6 as egregious but no one says you have to pay anything. You cannot honestly look at any past iteration of Gran Turismo or Forza title and not think grinding. Both have natural progressions. Heck, if you've played the Gran Turismo series, you can't possibly argue that the Forza series is even in the same realm of grinding as the GT series. Gran Turismo 2 made me kind of wish I could get by the awful grinding with all the stupid driving tests that weren't hard but took time to do. You get better cars and events faster in the Forza series, hands down.

Grinding is par for the course in these racing games. If you don't want to grind and are willing to pay, that's a new option. The Jaguar XJ13 in Gran Turismo 6 is $150 in real money. Spend it if you like. Or don't.

Don't forget the 2 additions that were there before the update was even contemplated. There was Forza Rewards that looked at your work in FM4, Horizon and others that rewarded you in FM5. there are also drivatars which are earning you money/credits even when you're not playing the game (though you do have to load the game daily to bank them or they're wasted). I know a lot of people don't even know about Forza Rewards so I'd advise at Forza racers out there to sign up for it to collect your earned rewards.

Here's what the update for FM5 is offering for those who have not read yet:

http://majornelson.com/2013/12/13/forza-motorsport-5-content-update-qa/

First of all, we’re adding two modes to the game – drag racing and multiplayer Tag. Drag racing is a no-brainer – we already have traditional racing and drifting events in Forza Motorsport 5, so the ability to pit cars against one another in quarter-mile, half-mile, and full-mile sprints just makes sense. We’ll have support for full 16-player drag racing lobbies, with one-on-one heats, as well as eight-player drag races, where all eight players are on the track at the same time.

We’re also introducing “Tag” to Forza 5; a multiplayer-only mode that’s unlike anything else in the game. If you’ve never played a multiplayer Tag event in an older Forza Motorsport game, you’re in for a treat. It’s about as far from traditional racing as you can get; this is pure mayhem on the track, where huge wrecks are the norm and aggressive driving is its own reward. We’re bringing three variations of Tag to the game:

• Keep the It: One player begins the match as “It.” The goal is for the “It” player to keep “It” status for as long as possible. “It” status transfers each time someone makes contact with the “It” player. Once the match timer has completed, the player with the most “It” time wins.
  • Tag Virus – One player begins the match as “It.” Each time an “It” player makes contact with another car, the “It” status spreads like a virus. The last uninfected player standing wins the match.
  • Pass the It: Similar to “Keep the It”, one player begins a “Pass the It” match with “It” status. “It” status transfers each time someone makes contact with the “It.” At the end of the match, the player with the least amount of “It” time wins.

With this content update, we are dramatically increasing the rate at which credits are earned in the game. For example, the bonus amount earned when you level up in Forza 5 has more than doubled. A player using average difficulty settings will see approximately a 60 percent increase in credits earned per hour – a number that can be further increased by upping the difficulty settings.

The flip side to awarding more credits is lowering the price of the best cars in the game. Cars like the Lotus E21 grand prix car – one of the fastest, most desirable cars in Forza 5 – has gone from 6 million credits at the launch of Forza Motorsport 5 to 2 million credits with this content update. Now, that’s still a lot of credits but, when combined with the reduced price with our increased credit payouts and features like our Forza Rewards loyalty program, even the most exclusive cars in the game are now within the reach of all Forza Motorsport 5 players.

Xbox: It’s not just race payouts and car prices that are changing – Forza Rewards is also paying out millions more credits.

Turn 10 Studios: Forza Rewards is our loyalty program, where people can earn in-game rewards like credits and cars just for playing Forza games. Players are ranked by “Tier” in Forza Rewards and you can increase your Tier by playing Forza games – doing things like driving a certain number of miles, earning achievements, increasing your driver level, and so on. The higher your Tier level, the better the rewards you can redeem each month, making it a great way to keep your credit coffers filled when that dream car comes around. For example, in December, a Tier 1 player earned 1 million credits in Forza Motorsport 5, while a Tier 6 player earned 6 million credits. In all, since the launch of Forza Motorsport 5, Forza Rewards has gifted more than 500 billion in-game credits to Forza 5 players.

The best part is, everyone can get involved and start redeeming rewards right now. If you’ve played any Forza game in the past, just head over to the Forza Rewards site (make sure you are logged in to the site) now and redeem your December rewards.

This is just the first content update for Forza Motorsport 5. Over the coming months we’ll be making further improvements to the game, including more new content, feature additions, and gameplay changes. I can’t go into detail about those now, but players are certainly in for a treat.
post #30 of 44 Old 12-18-2013, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Sounds like you boys need a JIMQUISITION:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqNuS03k6gI&sns=em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4UGm29181E&sns=em

Welcome to the resistance-- buckle up buttercup!

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page