AVS Forum banner

[Xbox One] My Solution to Short Kinect Cable + Controller Range Issue

7K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  whokilledkaji 
#1 ·

Hey guys,

I thought I would share my personal solution to the Xbox One's terrible controller range.  This solution also provided a way for me to get the kinect up and running as well, without needing an extension cable.  All in all this solution was fairly pricey (~$500), however I splurged on high quality equipment, since it will be in use for quite some time.  

I keep my equipment in a closet directly behind my screen, which is where I kept my Xbox 360.  I never had any issues, since the Kinect wasn't really important and the controller range was great.  Unfortunately, these are both issues with the Xbox One.  I decided that the best solution was to build a mini rack on wheels that I can cart out whenever I want to play the new Xbox.  This actually ended up being great for general organization.  I am able to store some of my games and all of the controllers in this portable rack, which gets them off my shelves.  I temporarily am running long cables from my closet to the portable rack, but I will soon run cables down the wall, which should provide a fairly clean solution to this annoying problem.

Details on the Portable Rack:  

1. The main rack:  I chose a 14u Middle Atlantic Rack.  I chose this size since with the wheels it fits perfectly below my speakers.  
  2. After the Xbox One (which takes 3 units of space) I still had 11 units to work with.
  3. I then added a 3 unit drawer at the very top.  I decided to run charging cables into this drawer and made it a hidden charging station

Some pictures of the final product (I placed the Xbox one and Power strip at the bottom since they both have indicator lights):

It ended up working out great!  Let me know what you all think.

See less See more
#2 ·
Setup looks cool as hell but how does the One breath? Are the vents uncovered on the top to release the heat?

Edit: I see it now. Linked on the diagram.

#3 ·
Don't forget to remove the sticker on the front of the XBOne, below the disc slot.

Oh and that's a pretty cool setup.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt  /t/1509066/xbox-one-my-solution-to-short-kinect-cable-controller-range-issue#post_24146415

Don't forget to remove the sticker on the front of the XBOne, below the disc slot.

Oh and that's a pretty cool setup.

Haha already did!  I was so excited once I slid the XBone in that I had to take some pictures!  And the vents seem to provide ample cooling for the unit.  Also, the fans push air mostly up, and the disk storage above the unit is not very deep, so the air can flow out the back as well.  Given Microsoft's track record with cooling units, I did not want to cause any problems for myself!

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3  /t/1509066/xbox-one-my-solution-to-short-kinect-cable-controller-range-issue/0_100#post_24147621

neat, but not a "solution"

I don't get it. It was a PERSONAL solution for his setup.

Reactions: Rmafive
#7 ·
awesome job! Thinking of doing something similar at the expense of a 25" Monoprice HDMI cable ($31 x 2)

my equipment all stay behind the seating area so that the lights don't distract. so I gotta run an HDMI out cable to the receive and an HDMI in cable from the TV tuner box.

I'm not quite there yet (as far as getting the basement finished and another XBOX One setup but soon enough.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmafive  /t/1509066/xbox-one-my-solution-to-short-kinect-cable-controller-range-issue#post_24146078

Hey guys,

I thought I would share my personal solution to the Xbox One's terrible controller range.  This solution also provided a way for me to get the kinect up and running as well, without needing an extension cable.  All in all this solution was fairly pricey (~$500), however I splurged on high quality equipment, since it will be in use for quite some time.  

I keep my equipment in a closet directly behind my screen, which is where I kept my Xbox 360.  I never had any issues, since the Kinect wasn't really important and the controller range was great.  Unfortunately, these are both issues with the Xbox One.  I decided that the best solution was to build a mini rack on wheels that I can cart out whenever I want to play the new Xbox.  This actually ended up being great for general organization.  I am able to store some of my games and all of the controllers in this portable rack, which gets them off my shelves.  I temporarily am running long cables from my closet to the portable rack, but I will soon run cables down the wall, which should provide a fairly clean solution to this annoying problem.

Details on the Portable Rack:  
  1. The main rack:  I chose a 14u Middle Atlantic Rack.  I chose this size since with the wheels it fits perfectly below my speakers.  
  2. After the Xbox One (which takes 3 units of space) I still had 11 units to work with.
  3. I then added a 3 unit drawer at the very top.  I decided to run charging cables into this drawer and made it a hidden charging station
[*] http://www.customavrack.com/products/602-middle-atlantic-d3.aspx

Some pictures of the final product (I placed the Xbox one and Power strip at the bottom since they both have indicator lights):

It ended up working out great!  Let me know what you all think.

Great job looks great.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by samssf  /t/1509066/xbox-one-my-solution-to-short-kinect-cable-controller-range-issue#post_24231700

This is awesome, and I'm highly considering doing the same. However, I measured the Xbox One and it's less than 2U high. Doesn't that mean that Xbox + ventilation could fit within 3U of space? Or is there something I'm not considering?
The faceplate for the xbox one takes 3 units of space, probably for ventilation.  Then I added 2 1 unit vents on the top and bottom for additional ventilation.  You could do it with 3 units if you don't add any additional ventilation.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by samssf  /t/1509066/xbox-one-my-solution-to-short-kinect-cable-controller-range-issue#post_24231729

Thanks, your quick response is highly appreciated! I'll probably do it without the extra ventilation then. Where did you get the faceplate? I tried searching around for Middle Atlantic Xbox One faceplates but didn't come up with much.

Nevermind, I found the Xbox One faceplate after searching on the middlestlantic site here: http://www2.middleatlantic.com/RSH/RSHSearch.asp

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.