Dual console owner question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 71 Old 01-13-2014, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 287
I am loving my Xbox One, but have been looking at getting a ps4. So my main question for people that always get two consoles is, how the hell do you guys do it? I owned a 360 for most of the generation and picked up a ps3 2-3 years ago, and even though I had a bunch of exclusives to play, I never felt like I was giving it enough time to justify my purchase. Now fast forward to this gen, and I started with the XB1 with intentions to grab a ps4. I still plan on getting one on my tax returns, but now I am struggling with the idea of doing this all over again. The saving grace for my ps3 purchase was the fact that the online was free and it was my blu-ray player, but that won't be the case anymore.

So how do you guys make it work, the ones that own both? I know that there will be weeks or even months where most of my gaming would be done on one console, so I worry that I am just wasting my money.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 Old 01-13-2014, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 235
I generally pick one console for multiplatform titles and online play (typically this has been the Xbox), and just purchase exclusive titles on the other console(s).
post #3 of 71 Old 01-13-2014, 01:49 PM

Liked: 18
Yeah MLB The Show on playstation platform and all multiplayer type game on Xbox
post #4 of 71 Old 01-13-2014, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I wish there was more that I wanted right now on the ps4, then I wouldn't even think about it. I just know that when I bought the ps3 and it would sit there for 3-4 months without being used at all, my wife would ask why I bought the system. Hopefully I can find some cool people from this board to add to my psn friends list when I do get one, and then I will at least have people to play stuff with.

post #5 of 71 Old 01-13-2014, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 127
I owned both a 360 and PS3 for over 3 years. Played the 360 mostly for games due to me liking the controller better and the PS3 for blurays and netflix stuff due to it being more quiet than the 360.....although I did really enjoy a few ps3 exclusive such as Heavy Rain, Dead Nation, TLOU and really loved the PS+ service with free games. Now that I have two young kids in the house, it doesn't make much sense to have both anymore because I barely have time to enjoy my XB1.

It all depends on how much time you have and how you value your entertainment costs. Once the PS4 get's more must have exclusives I will probably pick it up.

XBOX Live ID: HONDEboyMAN
PSN ID: ahartig
post #6 of 71 Old 01-13-2014, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah I kind of regret my PS4 purchase at this point due to lack of compelling exclusives (Killzone was a disappointment). I'm sure the situation will improve in the coming months though.
post #7 of 71 Old 01-13-2014, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I agree that it will get a lot better. I guess that is another problem. Do you spend the money right now and be part of the early conversation, or do you wait for a year or two for the price to come down and then get a good backlog of exclusives for cheap. Ahartig, I can sympathize with you. I have two boys that keep me pretty busy. I did a bunch of gaming in december because my classes were out. But now that my school is starting again, along with my full time job, my game time will be relegated to the weekends. So that compounds my concerns about wasting money on a second system at this point.

post #8 of 71 Old 01-13-2014, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

I agree that it will get a lot better. I guess that is another problem. Do you spend the money right now and be part of the early conversation, or do you wait for a year or two for the price to come down and then get a good backlog of exclusives for cheap. Ahartig, I can sympathize with you. I have two boys that keep me pretty busy. I did a bunch of gaming in december because my classes were out. But now that my school is starting again, along with my full time job, my game time will be relegated to the weekends. So that compounds my concerns about wasting money on a second system at this point.

If I were you I would wait it out and enjoy all the good XB1 games that have come out and are coming out. And once Kinect sports rivals comes out you can game with your kids, and get a (semi)workout, best of both worlds.

When the XB1 first came out I went overboard and bought DR3, Ryse, NFS:Rivals, and BF4 and then a few weeks later got AC4 BlackFlag.

Needless to say most all those games would collect dust, so I played through half of DR3 then sold on clist for $50 and traded in NFS and AC4 to GameSpot for $40 credit a piece so that I could focus on Ryse and BF4. I finally beat Ryse a few weeks back but haven't really touched the MP and I am only to level 20 on BF4.....

My take on it is to really enjoy a few games and squeeze all the "juice" of them. And to keep the wife happy..... I know that if I got a PS4 she would think I was insane.

XBOX Live ID: HONDEboyMAN
PSN ID: ahartig
post #9 of 71 Old 01-13-2014, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahartig View Post

If I were you I would wait it out and enjoy all the good XB1 games that have come out and are coming out. And once Kinect sports rivals comes out you can game with your kids, and get a (semi)workout, best of both worlds.

We are already getting workout with Xbox Fitness. I am waiting until this Fall based on what games are coming for the PS4. Mostly waiting to see what Uncharted will be like and when it drops is really when I plan to pick it up along with what else is coming that is exclusive.

The 5.0 is here
post #10 of 71 Old 01-13-2014, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

This is the first time in a long time that I have been a day one adopter (of TWO consoles, no less). The last time was probably the Dreamcast, but I have typically waited for the first "killer app" to be released. For the Xbox 360, that was Gears of War (I saw a trailer for it in a movie theater and bought the console the next day). For the PS3, I believe it was God of War 3.
post #11 of 71 Old 01-13-2014, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahartig View Post

I am starting to think that is the best way to go. I could always wait until summer, because we are moving and my wife and I are planning on just living off of her income as a nurse while I go full time to school to hurry and get my degree done. I said I can always pick up a substitute teacher job if I need too, but we will see if it comes to that. I guess I can be that guy that plays video games on his days when he isn't in class.

post #12 of 71 Old 01-13-2014, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

We are already getting workout with Xbox Fitness. I am waiting until this Fall based on what games are coming for the PS4. Mostly waiting to see what Uncharted will be like and when it drops is really when I plan to pick it up along with what else is coming that is exclusive.
I haven't found a xbox fitness workout that can come close to what I do with a treadmill and my weights.

post #13 of 71 Old 01-13-2014, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:

I haven't found a xbox fitness workout that can come close to what I do with a treadmill and my weights.

We are just used to Insantity and P90x. My kids are into it now they are older. I was the only one doing it in my home with the Squadron and on my military deployments.

The 5.0 is here
post #14 of 71 Old 01-13-2014, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

We are just used to Insantity and P90x. My kids are into it now they are older. I was the only one doing it in my home with the Squadron and on my military deployments.
My wife does p90x. I tried it out and still just felt like it didn't work me as hard as my workout, but as long as people are using it to get and stay healthy, then it's a good thing. I think I am settling on possibly holding off. I really want to play the show this year, but I just don't think I can justify spending $400 for that when any other game I want for the system doesn't come out until later in the year at the earliest. Maybe I will just play what I can on the XB1 and then after we move and I get used to going to school full time and not working, which will be weird since I have been working since I was 14, then I can grab a ps4.

post #15 of 71 Old 01-13-2014, 02:48 PM

Liked: 44
For me I'm able to afford both consoles and spending ~$1,000ish for two machines over seven or so years of time isn't a big deal. Gaming is one of my favorite hobbies and I'm willing to pay for it. I have two PS3's, an Xbox 360, an Xbox One, and a PS4. So far my 360 has gotten the most use by far. Note should be made that when I bought my second PS3 I was looking for another blu-ray player. At the time I chose to spend a little extra to get a gaming system instead of just a stand-alone player. I'd make a different choice today given the low cost of blu-ray only machines (or would just use the new consoles).
DavidinCT likes this.
post #16 of 71 Old 01-13-2014, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 469
If money is a concern, dual consoles (or more, with Wii U, gaming PC and beyond) doesn't really make sense.

The reason I dive into most every console that comes around is it's the hobby I've chosen to be obsessive over, and like Scott mentioned, I can afford it. I'm a curious person and want to experience a new gaming gadget on launch day. I wasn't sure which to pick - the PS4 or Xbox One, and I seriously thought to only get one. But then I thought "what the heck", so I got both and let them fight it out for my attention.

I still mostly prefer gaming on a PC, but each of the new consoles has a certain appeal.
Anthony Cler likes this.
post #17 of 71 Old 01-13-2014, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Money isn't an issue at all. My problem is getting my money's worth.

post #18 of 71 Old 01-13-2014, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Daver,

Don't forget iPad and iPhone too smile.gif
DaverJ likes this.

xbl/gamecenter: leff4
psn/twitter: ileff
my app: video poker clock
post #19 of 71 Old 01-13-2014, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thought about it a bunch tonight and decided that while I may not have all the time in the world to play games during the semester, I will have enough time to play. I also will have enough games out the gate to play. I'm going to grab one as soon as my tax returns come in.

post #20 of 71 Old 01-14-2014, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Thought about it a bunch tonight and decided that while I may not have all the time in the world to play games during the semester, I will have enough time to play. I also will have enough games out the gate to play. I'm going to grab one as soon as my tax returns come in.

lol, could you grab me an XBone too, while you are at it? I'm still on the fence about picking it up myself. We'll see how Titanfall looks and plays. Loving BF4 on the PS4 though, and definitely plenty of PS3 games left in the backlog, but I love that new stuff too!
post #21 of 71 Old 01-14-2014, 05:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:

I am loving my Xbox One, but have been looking at getting a ps4. So my main question for people that always get two consoles is, how the hell do you guys do it? I owned a 360 for most of the generation and picked up a ps3 2-3 years ago, and even though I had a bunch of exclusives to play, I never felt like I was giving it enough time to justify my purchase. Now fast forward to this gen, and I started with the XB1 with intentions to grab a ps4. I still plan on getting one on my tax returns, but now I am struggling with the idea of doing this all over again. The saving grace for my ps3 purchase was the fact that the online was free and it was my blu-ray player, but that won't be the case anymore.

So how do you guys make it work, the ones that own both? I know that there will be weeks or even months where most of my gaming would be done on one console, so I worry that I am just wasting my money.

At one point I had four 360s. One in each of three rooms at home and one for travel. It was more a matter of convenience. Since it would be a pain to have to carry it from room to room.

But with the XBOne and PS4 that is not the case with me. I do have two XBOnes and one PS4, but the PS4 and my main XBOne are in my main viewing area. And I got an XBOne for my secondary viewing location because of the things, other than games, it can do. If the XBOne was more like the PS4, I would not have picked up a second one.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #22 of 71 Old 01-15-2014, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

Money isn't an issue at all. My problem is getting my money's worth.

This is a great point. I’m an older gamer with family and work commitments. My time is very finite so there is no way I could get the full enjoyment out of two consoles.
post #23 of 71 Old 01-15-2014, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well my plans for a ps4 just got squashed. My son needs glasses, and I think I will buy him two pairs since he is young and might break them by just doing boy stuff. I am also moving in the summer and will be going to school full time, so we will only have one income. With that in mind, I told my wife that I was just going to wait on the ps4 and play the hell out of my Xbox One for the time being. At this point, the only thing I will really miss out on is MLB the show.

post #24 of 71 Old 01-15-2014, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I bought a PS3 3 years after it launched and only for Uncharted. Then I picked up Resistance (some love it some hate but I enjoyed it) for cheap as well Heavy Rain. After playing The Last of Us I thought to myself "now this system just paid for itself 2 times over". UC and Resistance were enjoyable and did make me feel glad that I picked up a PS3 and I would suggest waiting until there are a few more exclusives. Oh yeah Killzone was fun for me as well.
I am not picking up either console until this spring when I feel there are games that will interest me and I should be able to pick up the launch titles cheaper. Also I have a 2 & 4 year old so the house and my life is a busy right now.

Gamertag: Quicksilver1663
PSN: ujustshaturpants
post #25 of 71 Old 01-15-2014, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think that was around the time I grabbed my ps3 too. I played a pretty good amount of games on it, but only when I had nothing else to do on the Xbox. I didn't like the Uncharted games, purely because of the controls. I also wasn't crazy about the last of us. The story was good but the gameplay was a letdown for me personally. With that said, this approach may be the smartest move for me. Let it sit for a year or two, and after the price comes down on the console I can pick one up. By then, a lot of exlusives that I missed will be cheap, and I can take a break from my xbox for a month or two and play all the games I missed.

post #26 of 71 Old 01-15-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 265
I'll tell you how I do it. Learn to love the regret. Also, don't go in expecting to give them the same amount of love (just like with your kids smile.gif)

I always get all of the consoles (WiiU excluded). Then I regret it within a couple of months. I have played nothing on my PS4 that I enjoyed so far that I couldn't have gotten on xb1, though I haven't played killzone yet. My PS4 is collecting dust.

That said, if I didn't pick up every console, I would regret it everytime I missed out on a good exclusive. I rarely played my PS3, but when I did, it was always a great experience. I don't know that I could live with myself if I missed out on The Last of Us, Uncharted, The Show....
tsaville likes this.

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

post #27 of 71 Old 01-15-2014, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That is a good point. Like I said, I will eventually own a ps4. But with all the other things that just keep popping up, it makes more sense to wait. The good news is, since most playstation games are usually single player focused, I won't miss out on being a part of a multiplayer community. I will get it later and run through all the games I missed, and then go on with my usual gaming habit of playing almost everything on my Xbox and picking up the exclusives on the ps4.

post #28 of 71 Old 01-15-2014, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

I think we're all cut from the same cloth. I too play mostly on Xbox, with only exclusives on PS (meaning my PS4 is currently a $400 paperweight). On a related note, I now remember why I generally wait a year (or more) for a new console. This game drought is killing me!
post #29 of 71 Old 01-15-2014, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Last gen I got a 360 on launch and a PS3 in 2009 when the slim models came out. My main reason for getting the PS3 was because I wanted a BD player and to play the exclusives like Uncharted, GoW, TLoU, etc. As far as gaming went though, 99% of that was done on the 360 mainly because of the controller.

This gen was different since I have been saving OT money since this time last year in anticipation of getting both and I am glad I did. I have also never been married and have no kids so I really don't have any other responsibilities except for bills and my nieces and nephews.

Since the new DS4 controller is so sweet and the fact that most PS4 games so far are 1080P native and not 720P like the XB1 , at the moment the PS4 is my main machine and the XB1 is for exclusives...while the PS3 is used for my streaming services and BD's.
post #30 of 71 Old 01-15-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Last gen with the exception of BD movies and a few exclusive titles like Last of Us and Uncharted my PS3 collected dust.

I figure this round will be about the same........I went with the XB1 first and as soon as there is a PS4 exclusive I must play I will pick up a PS4. At the moment there are no PS4 only titles that remotely interest me.

Multi-Platform games so far are a wash from what I have seen.......and while the new PS4 controller is a improvement IMO over the previous ....the XB1 controller is still the best so multi-platform games will be played on my XB1.

In the end having both will be the way to go. Why limit ourselves smile.gif
Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Xbox One Console Standard Edition , Playstation 4 Console

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page