Xbox getting the shaft on FPS - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-12-2014, 09:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked: 828
While the PS4 is $100 less than the XBOne I still wouldn't say the console is cheap. $400 is still a big chunk of change.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 78
All this hardware talk is just pure blah when XB1 fails at, what I think is the most important aspect of these next generation consoles, network services or, in MS's case, da cloud. It is an inferior service compared to PS+, with weekly maintenance schedule and horrible network speeds. You could probably count the number of servers dedicated for XBL on the palm of your hand and they most likely run on a surface tablets. I, as an ex 360 user with a fast cable internet connection, have experienced many dropouts during multiplayer gameplay, XBL maintenance which sometimes lasted for days and extremely unhelpful customer support. It may not be crucial to people who don't play online, but with this kind of service and attitude towards their customers, XB1 hardware means nothing to me.

For kids and teenagers XB1 is the best console out there right now. It's large, black and shiny, they have hard waving motion games meant for their age, you do have to buy the camera which doesn't even do anything anyway and the online experience is something they'll take for granted and simply won't care for. Like someone here said in another thread, PS4 is meant for mature audience who care about the features, technology and effort that the company put in creating this product. It's the experience that matters and PS+ will certainly not disappoint in that department.
William Mapstone and Artman22 like this.

Now playing: Destiny, Madden, Diablo 3, PvZ: GW
Recently Finished: Infamous: First Light, Watch Dogs
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
Old 02-12-2014, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 591
LOL
Old 02-12-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

While the PS4 is $100 less than the XBOne I still wouldn't say the console is cheap. $400 is still a big chunk of change.
it seems reasonable for what it is compared to the launch of the PS3.

Builds: Maelstrom 21 Ottoman Build, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, SEOS-12/TD12M x 5. 
Old 02-12-2014, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
It's been my experience that the average age of PSN's users tracks older, at least going by those that use mics and PTFO.

Although a lot of tweens seem to have made the jump into this gen from other systems.

I do have to chuckle at the 6th gen (PS2) view on PSN. There practically no difference between the networks now, and some even put PSN higher for the simple fact that they give away some really great games with their network charge to lighten the pay model burden.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 203
The criticisms of PSN are hardly limited to the PS2 era. Remember that 24 day outage in 2011? Credit card breach? Re-hacked 6 months later?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Network_outage

Some free games was the least they could do! wink.gif
tsaville likes this.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.kingsley View Post

The criticisms of PSN are hardly limited to the PS2 era. Remember that 24 day outage in 2011? Credit card breach? Re-hacked 6 months later?

I was fortunate that I never tied a credit card to my PSN account (and still haven't to this day). I'm kind of amazed that people were willing to forgive and forget after such a major outage/breach.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwalsh View Post

it seems reasonable for what it is compared to the launch of the PS3.

For me the PS3 was a BD player that cost half as much as the stand alone players at the time. So even though it was $500, it was alot less than paying $1k for a stand alone BD player.

LED DLP
Old 02-12-2014, 02:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 169
This bickering back and forth is just mind numbing and not becoming of AVS, it serves ZERO purpose other than making all of us look immature, which is how the general population has stereotyped gamers (is it any wonder why).

Jason
Old 02-12-2014, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 View Post

Excellent reading comprehension there bud. Wish I could give hundreds of thumb-ups.

Youre right, and I deleted my post. I realized I took him out of context, but to be fair, that's the context he usually means so it's not completely irrational that I jumped to that conclusion. One Love!
freemeat likes this.

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
Old 02-12-2014, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post

Youre right, and I deleted my post. I realized I took him out of context, but to be fair, that's the context he usually means so it's not completely irrational that I jumped to that conclusion. One Love!

"One Love!" I think MS should go with that on their next set of commercials. A lot of different scenarios can apply, boy choosing his Xbox over his partner biggrin.gif
Old 02-12-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaville View Post

I was fortunate that I never tied a credit card to my PSN account (and still haven't to this day). I'm kind of amazed that people were willing to forgive and forget after such a major outage/breach.

Well, personally at least, I think that's going to be a major issue moving forward as this digital age is still be laid out. Every service get's attacked all day every day. Most of time, hell maybe even 99.9% of the time, as end users we never know about it, but it's happening. Whether or not the attacks succeed or result in acquiring sensitive data is unknown. I promise you, that as I type this, someone is trying to get into your financial institution, amazon, XBL, ebay, PSN, your health insurance and so on. So while it's fair to harp on Sony for their failures 3 years ago, it's an ongoing issue and no company we do business with is going to be immune from it (Here's looking at you Target).

The best approach really, would be to have some sort of Identify Theft insurance.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post

"One Love!" I think MS should go with that on their next set of commercials A lot of different scenarios can apply, boy choosing his Xbox over his partner biggrin.gif

Jesus H Christ, I legitimately had the song in mind and was not thinking of the one in Xbox One at all.

Just a montage of xbox games and the song = success!!
freemeat likes this.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well, personally at least, I think that's going to be a major issue moving forward as this digital age is still be laid out. Every service get's attacked all day every day. Most of time, hell maybe even 99.9% of the time, as end users we never know about it, but it's happening. Whether or not the attacks succeed or result in acquiring sensitive data is unknown. I promise you, that as I type this, someone is trying to get into your financial institution, amazon, XBL, ebay, PSN, your health insurance and so on. So while it's fair to harp on Sony for their failures 3 years ago, it's an ongoing issue and no company we do business with is going to be immune from it (Here's looking at you Target).

The best approach really, would be to have some sort of Identify Theft insurance.

Having gone through identity theft myself (and before it was so popular, no less!), I can assure you that I am not ignorant to the realities of the digital age. However, I think it's reasonable to conclude that some companies are better at thwarting these attacks than others.

**prepares for XBL breach to be announced tomorrow** biggrin.gif
Old 02-12-2014, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jesus H Christ, I legitimately had the song in mind and was not thinking of the one in Xbox One at all.

Just a montage of xbox games and the song = success!!

I wasn't even thinking about the song :0 Our ideas combined needs to happen.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Quote:

Having gone through identity theft myself (and before it was so popular, no less!), I can assure you that I am not ignorant to the realities of the digital age. However, I think it's reasonable to conclude that some companies are better at thwarting these attacks than others.

**prepares for XBL breach to be announced tomorrow** biggrin.gif

Technically both services are breached daily. There is an aftermarket for selling stolen accounts, especially for Live. Then there are the Fifa hacks, and all the incursions we never hear about. It was a shock that Sony actually admitted they were hacked, most companies just say it was for maintinence when hacked if the service goes down at all.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Technically both services are breached daily. There is an aftermarket for selling stolen accounts, especially for Live. Then there are the Fifa hacks, and all the incursions we never hear about. It was a shock that Sony actually admitted they were hacked, most companies just say it was for maintinence when hacked if the service goes down at all.

It's sad that this is the world we live in now. I try to keep my online footprint as small as possible (no Facebook/Twitter/etc for me), but I know it's mostly futile.
Leo_Ames likes this.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's sad that this is the world we live in now. I try to keep my online footprint as small as possible (no Facebook/Twitter/etc for me), but I know it's mostly futile.

I had a fraud charge on my credit card last year. No clue how they got it. It seemed like a simple mistake (it was for a monthly phone bill with MetroPCS, I use at&t) but still, it got my attention. I really limit what I trust with my info now.

Heck, if you apply for a job anywhere, they want it done online and always ask for a social, THAT really bugs me, they basically ask for everything needed to steal your identity.
centking likes this.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Old 02-12-2014, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 203
Quote:

I had a fraud charge on my credit card last year. No clue how they got it. It seemed like a simple mistake (it was for a monthly phone bill with MetroPCS, I use at&t) but still, it got my attention. I really limit what I trust with my info now.

Heck, if you apply for a job anywhere, they want it done online and always ask for a social, THAT really bugs me, they basically ask for everything needed to steal your identity.
The most likely place for credit card fraud is a restaurant. They walk away with your card out of your sight and it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to scrape the numbers with a pen and write down the 3 or 4 digit security code and then use that for online purchases. The fact is that most hacks are decidedly low-tech social engineering operations and require little or no technical expertise.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.kingsley View Post

I just joined PSN+ because of the PS4 following Microsofts pay to play lead. The free games that I received now have nothing to do with the credit card breach. I just joined and I have Borderlands 2, Devil May Cry and BioShock Infinite downloaded on my PS3 waiting for me to play when I find time. Those are just the ones that interest me, and I have no idea how many I missed over the years. Of coarse I'll probably play Outlast for free on the PS4 first.

And then theres the free games for the Vita....

PSN: UndeadREDD

My Racing Seat

Old 02-12-2014, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Mapstone View Post

I just joined PSN+ because of the PS4 following Microsofts pay to play lead. The free games that I received now have nothing to do with the credit card breach. I just joined and I have Borderlands 2, Devil May Cry and BioShock Infinite downloaded on my PS3 waiting for me to play when I find time. Those are just the ones that interest me, and I have no idea how many I missed over the years. Of coarse I'll probably play Outlast for free on the PS4 first.

And then theres the free games for the Vita....

You missed at least 200 games since it started. I joined about a year in and missed a bunch of PS1 titles. (I joined when Spyro 3 was a free option, I think SotN was as well) Once they kicked in the instant game collection the service truly exploded. Add in some Steam level sales and I have been more than impressed with Plus.

The downside is that now that Plus is required to play online, the incentive to keep offering killer deals has been reduced. Add in that the subscription number has gone through the roof since the PS4 launch, and I fear for the future of Plus freebies and sales.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Old 02-13-2014, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 78

freemeat likes this.

Now playing: Destiny, Madden, Diablo 3, PvZ: GW
Recently Finished: Infamous: First Light, Watch Dogs
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
Old 02-13-2014, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Is this the PlayStation area? Oh, wait...
totalownership likes this.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 66
It is on topic of this thread. Maybe this thread should be moved to the general gaming area.
freemeat likes this.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

What is Ground Zeroes?

LED DLP
Old 02-13-2014, 11:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 1468
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectronicTonic View Post

It is on topic of this thread. Maybe this thread should be moved to the general gaming area.

That'd be like sending it to its grave.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
Old 02-13-2014, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

What is Ground Zeroes?

A $40 Metal Gear Solid cross gen 2 hour prologue for MGS5. It could also be considered a tech demo for the Fox Engine.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Old 02-13-2014, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

That'd be like sending it to its grave.

I do wish we had a general gaming area that was active. It would be great for all the multiplatform games so you wouldn't have to post info at both sides or all three sides (Wii U version included).
Old 02-13-2014, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A $40 Metal Gear Solid cross gen 2 hour prologue for MGS5. It could also be considered a tech demo for the Fox Engine.

The Fox Engine is horrible on PES 2014 on the PS3 (PES4 is a big downgrade from PES 2013, it is uglier and the controls are a lot less responsive), hopefully it fairs much better on the current gen systems. It probably isn't fair to blame the FOX engine alone but they really screwed up on its first use of the engine.

From what they have shown Ground Zeroes does look good but no way in hell would I pay that kind of cash for such a short experience. MGS4 was severely lacking on gameplay time as well.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 76
PS4 January sales double XBOX ONE.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/02/sony-ps4-nearly-doubles-xbox-ones-us-sales-in-january/

Builds: Maelstrom 21 Ottoman Build, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, SEOS-12/TD12M x 5.