post #631 of 647 Old 03-06-2014, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

Of course you wouldn't see the issue of talking nonstop about a sony exclusive game over here. I just don't see the need to discuss on and on about a game that cannot and will not be found on the console that this thread is about and the fact that it's free. Everyone here can find the sony section pretty easily, and the killzone thread stays near the top, so it shouldn't be hard to find either.

Read the thread title. What do you suggest we talk about in this thread?

Yes, Xbox gets the shaft. The end. Thread closed. Can't point out examples.
freemeat likes this.

"The Scuba Tank" thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 647 Old 03-06-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 1393
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post

Read the thread title. What do you suggest we talk about in this thread?

Yes, Xbox gets the shaft. The end. Thread closed. Can't point out examples.

Stop taking the bait. smile.gif
freemeat likes this.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #633 of 647 Old 03-06-2014, 10:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 1393
http://www.killzone.com/en_US/blog/news/2014-03-06_regarding-killzone-shadow-fall-and-1080p.html

So as I figured, it's basically motion adaptive deinterlacing. First time I've ever heard of a game using it, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot more games using it moving forward. If the algorithm isn't too taxing, I could see it being one of the primary ways they cut corners on the x1, with much less of a perceived quality drop than going down to 720p/900p vs the PS4s 1080p.

Here's what the technique looks like in a still taken from video, the rightmost image:

There's some artifacting and loss of sharpness, but it's pretty damn hard to tell it's not a full frame, especially at 60fps.
freemeat likes this.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #634 of 647 Old 03-06-2014, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post

Nah, they don't get a pass from me. That doesn't mean it's unique method can't be dissected. For some reason they did this instead of dropping the resolution to 900p or 720p.

Microsoft gets chastised because it's pretty consistently the inferior performer at a higher price point. Not all unlike last generation, except the performance delta is much bigger, all the more adding to the controversy.

haha console arguments are the best.

Sony got dominated for the first 3-5 yrs. Their ps3 drove their sales and video game division into the ground mostly because nobody could port anything to the ridiculous Cell architecture let alone make something amazing from scratch on budget. One ... maybe 2 obvious developers and nearly untouchable market share from the ps2 saved that console from ruin IMO. I don't think MS could have engineered worse PR than Sony generated for themselves. Yes they still outsold, but when you look at what actually happened to their market share...

Having said that, I agree with the rest smile.gif For $500, mass produced and engineered in house I would expect 1080P resolutions early on... however I still expect it will reach them frequently and easily within a few years.

It's too bad the xbone still reeks like a software company who's trying to sell hardware still. They had some time to get it right and be both.

post #635 of 647 Old 03-07-2014, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtank View Post

haha console arguments are the best.

Sony got dominated for the first 3-5 yrs. Their ps3 drove their sales and video game division into the ground mostly because nobody could port anything to the ridiculous Cell architecture let alone make something amazing from scratch on budget. One ... maybe 2 obvious developers and nearly untouchable market share from the ps2 saved that console from ruin IMO. I don't think MS could have engineered worse PR than Sony generated for themselves. Yes they still outsold, but when you look at what actually happened to their market share...

Having said that, I agree with the rest smile.gif For $500, mass produced and engineered in house I would expect 1080P resolutions early on... however I still expect it will reach them frequently and easily within a few years.

It's too bad the xbone still reeks like a software company who's trying to sell hardware still. They had some time to get it right and be both.

Indeed it's interesting to see that we're 12 or so years into MS making a games console and we're still having issues like this. Looking back the Xbox was such a major leap ahead in terms of what it offered and then MS tried to get cute with the 360 and luckily has Sony give them a hand by screwing their PS3 strategy up so much that it gave them a few years to get established. MS had the chance again to get back to what made the platform so appealing to some people (high performance with great software and bleeding edge features) and what we end up getting is a frankenstein of sorts. I love the multi-tasking features and the 3 OS arrangement but feel they definitely missed an opportunity to remind us of what made the platform great by letting Sony take the performance crown again. Yes the goal is to make money but the gamer in me wishes we got the same sort of devotion to game performance that we got with the other stuff (Kinect, multitask, etc.). For five hundred bucks I think they could have done more. Still it's past the point of hand wringing with that stuff and some of what I've played so far is inspiring (suround sound in Forza is amazing) so here's hoping they make the best of what they've put out there.
The Outcast likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #636 of 647 Old 03-07-2014, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Some of the best games I have ever played were low res games. Resolution means nothing to me if the system does not work trying to get that high resolution. This is why I quit playing pc games and switched to consoles. The console just works. It is an appliance. I put the disk in and bam! I do like the UI on the Xbox One. I like the voice control as well. I think I could get used to talking to my Xbox. I had a chance to play Fifa 14 at a Microsoft store and the video and audio were epic. They had this little sound system hooked up and it made you feel like you were in the stadium watching the game. The video was razor sharp, even on a crappy LCD display. If it looked that good on that tv then it will look 10x better on my pro - calibrated Panasonic 65VT30 plasma. Coming from a PS3, I felt that the Xbox One was polished and would give me years of fun play over the Network.
highd3f likes this.

X-Box Live name: OGgamer1974

If you want to be friends on through xbox network, just send me a request through X-Box Live and mention AVS in the request.

Cheers
post #637 of 647 Old 03-07-2014, 09:52 AM

Liked: 79
Zork had the best graphics ever!

Warning: I make a lot of mistakes but occasionally I learn from them!
post #638 of 647 Old 03-07-2014, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Looks like the Xbox One has the upper hand in framerate compared to the Wii U version.
post #639 of 647 Old 03-07-2014, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
It is also 900p vs 720p

The Wii U is only about 20% stronger than the 360, it isn't a proper comparison.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #640 of 647 Old 03-07-2014, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 233
What game are you guys talking about? I can't see the video.
post #641 of 647 Old 03-07-2014, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

It is also 900p vs 720p

The Wii U is only about 20% stronger than the 360, it isn't a proper comparison.
It's also slowed down. I'm not sure what insight we're supposed to glean from a frame rate comparison at half speed? Neither game looks like that in action and the WiiU should never be compared with either xbox or ps4. I think freemeat is just having fun at others' expense. wink.gif
post #642 of 647 Old 03-07-2014, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.kingsley View Post

It's also slowed down. I'm not sure what insight we're supposed to glean from a frame rate comparison at half speed? Neither game looks like that in action and the WiiU should never be compared with either xbox or ps4. I think freemeat is just having fun at others' expense. wink.gif

I think the Wii U looks fairly good in the video, definitely not intending to mock it. It is youtube though and I imagine the differences are a bit more at home as they usually are for graphical fidelity. Of course I would choose the higher framerate(and better graphics) Xbox One version out of the two every single time.

The slow down helps show the frame rate differences. Konami did a good job with the Metal Gear comparison videos doing something similar.

60fps on this game would make the ocean water look really cool when sailing but not surprisingly none of them hit that due to open style of the game.
post #643 of 647 Old 03-07-2014, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Xbox One DirectX12 support confirmed?

Tweet: @DirectX12
Quote:
Game on #XboxOne? So do we. Find out more at #GDC. #DirectX12 - http://aka.ms/directx12

Source: https://twitter.com/DirectX12/status/442011932011134976

Sure sounds like it to me!!! biggrin.gif

"Live to Win!"
XBL: RandomNinjaAtk

- Personal Blog

- Domain Names, Web Hosting, Email Hosting and more
post #644 of 647 Old 03-07-2014, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
That would be a first, the 360's DirectX feature set never increased post release, but with the Xbox One running their OS' the way they are, it is possible...

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #645 of 647 Old 03-07-2014, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

There's nothing stopping them from releasing updates to DX on the One outside of future releasing requiring hardware the One doesn't have. I'm definitely interested in seeing what they announce.

post #646 of 647 Old 03-07-2014, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 116
I also noticed on the DirectX12 page that they added the Xbox One logo, page: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/directx/p/directx12.aspx

The other day or so, when it was announced that they would be discussing it at GDC, I don't recall them having the Xbox One logo on the page.

"Live to Win!"
XBL: RandomNinjaAtk

- Personal Blog

- Domain Names, Web Hosting, Email Hosting and more
post #647 of 647 Old 03-07-2014, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah it looks new, I don't remember the Xbox logo being there. It could be selective memory though. Still that means GDC just became more interesting.

Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page