Xbox getting the shaft on FPS - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 647 Old 01-22-2014, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have been an xbox user since my dear original Xbox one day one. And have been a live subscriber for 12 great years. I just can't for the life of me figure out why the xbox one has been getting the shaft in terms of frames per second. I have heard that the tomb raider port for the next gen is only 30 FPS on xbox and 60 FPS on ps4. How come a port that runs 60 FPS on the 360 can't on the one. It seems ludacris. I'm hoping it's the fact the no one has had enough time with the hardware/software yet. It just seems weird being that the hardware between the two isn't really all that more different. You can't tell me a few more MHZ are making that big of a difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 647 Old 01-22-2014, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 493
not sure where you're getting your info...

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2014/01/lara_croft_will_not_lament_lost_frames_in_ps4s_tomb_raider_definitive_edition

While the developer has been more secretive than James Whitman over the enhanced re-release’s framerate in recent weeks, it’s finally confirmed as part of an interview with Eurogamer.net that Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition will run in 1080p at 30 frames-per-second on Sony’s new super machine.

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/tomb_raider_definitive_edition/news/tomb_raider_definitive_edition_runs_at_30fps.html

The Xbox One and PlayStation 4 ports of Tomb Raider will both run at 30 frames per second, executive producer Scot Amos has confirmed.

Confirmation follows comments from Crystal Dynamics last month, which said that it was "still optimizing the game for both platforms and will be doing so until we release to manufacturing so that we get the highest performance possible," leading some to believe that the game could render at 60FPS.

But that isn't the case, Amos told Eurogamer, confirming that the game will run at 1080p/30FPS on both platforms.

http://segmentnext.com/2014/01/20/tomb-raider-definitive-edition-confirms-run-30-fps/

In an interview to Eurogamer, the Executive Producer; Scott Amos has confirmed that the re-release of the game will run at 30 Frames Per Second on both next-gen consoles.

It is certainly a huge let down since the most fans believed that it will run at 60 Frames Per Second. As for resolution, both consoles will run it at 1080p.
post #3 of 647 Old 01-22-2014, 10:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 155
I think he was considering the recent TR video that claimed 60 fps.

Jason
post #4 of 647 Old 01-22-2014, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

http://www.twitch.tv/gamesradar/b/497373767

at 50:30 it mentions the ps4 running at 60 fps
post #5 of 647 Old 01-22-2014, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

It doesn't really matter anyway. My epson 3010 has so much input lag who cares about FPS lol
post #6 of 647 Old 01-23-2014, 12:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Get use to it, the power difference will show up somewhere
post #7 of 647 Old 01-23-2014, 04:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfamousGamer View Post

http://www.twitch.tv/gamesradar/b/497373767

at 50:30 it mentions the ps4 running at 60 fps

I get the feeling that the guy that says 60 fps in that video could simply be wrong since it was stated to be 30 fps (by a different dev team member) and there is no way they would say 30 if it was indeed 60.

As long as it does not dip below 30 it will still play well but here's to hoping it runs at 60 and never drops below 30 (I say that because I doubt it is a locked 60 fps).

Jason
post #8 of 647 Old 01-23-2014, 04:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 1376
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

I get the feeling that the guy that says 60 fps in that video could simply be wrong since it was stated to be 30 fps (by a different dev team member) and there is no way they would say 30 if it was indeed 60.

As long as it does not dip below 30 it will still play well but here's to hoping it runs at 60 and never drops below 30 (I say that because I doubt it is a locked 60 fps).

Jason

Whether it's locked or not, the whole definitive edition spiel is pointless if it's not 60fps. More like half assed edition.

If both these new consoles can't even run last gen games at 1080p/60...
DaverJ likes this.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #9 of 647 Old 01-23-2014, 04:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Oh it's likely that both new consoles could run the last gen versions of this game at native 1080p 60, but this is not entirely the last gen version, this is more akin to the pc version and even surpasses it in certain areas (which is honestly what I am waiting to see compared).

Jason
post #10 of 647 Old 01-23-2014, 04:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Oh it's likely that both new consoles could run the last gen versions of this game at native 1080p 60, but this is not the last gen version, this is more akin to the pc version and even surpasses it in certain areas (which is honestly what I am waiting to see compared).

Jason

Even still, the PC version wasn't exactly pushing any limits. It had nice hair, other than that it was nothing special. It's still a last gen game.

post #11 of 647 Old 01-23-2014, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
The PC version at 1080p running TressFX, on a powerful rig still only averaged around 45fps. So that is quite an achievement by these consoles.
post #12 of 647 Old 01-23-2014, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I'm still picking it up. I didn't play it on the 360 or PC, so this will be a new game to me.
darthrsg likes this.
post #13 of 647 Old 01-23-2014, 05:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zBuff View Post

The PC version at 1080p running TressFX, on a powerful rig still only averaged around 45fps. So that is quite an achievement by these consoles.

I always thought tressFX was intentionally poorly optimized in order to sell high end video cards.  It has a bigger performance drop that 2X SSAA (doubling your resolution).  

So if they're running the same full blown unoptimized TressFX as PC is, they're basically trading half the frame rate for it.  *facepalm* 

post #14 of 647 Old 01-23-2014, 05:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Well I think the pc version of TR looks pretty good, sure there are games with more eye candy but those too are now last gen (Crysis3, Metro LL, Witcher 2, etc.).

I'll be honest and say that Killzone SF & RYSE are very next gen for consoles regarding graphics and they honestly best most pc games in that area (this coming from an avid pc gamer). redface.gif

If you are trying to talk yourself out of the new consoles in favor of pc I can appreciate where that comes from but I think it would be a mistake to discount what they can do based solely upon what we have seen thus far (especially considering the two examples I gave above).

PC will remain superior on all counts but it also costs more to remain cutting edge with PC gaming, we have gpu's alone that cost more than either of these consoles (heck a Titan was more than both of these consoles combined).

smile.gif
Jason
post #15 of 647 Old 01-23-2014, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 32
A moderator from Neogaf have also said their is a big frame rate difference.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=756518

Rather or not that's true, is another matter. I guess we'll have to wait until the game nears release to really find out what both versions will be.
post #16 of 647 Old 01-23-2014, 05:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Well I think the pc version of TR looks pretty good, sure there are games with more eye candy but those too are now last gen (Crysis3, Metro LL, Witcher 2, etc.).

I'll be honest and say that Killzone SF & RYSE are very next gen for consoles regarding graphics and they honestly best most pc games in that area (this coming from an avid pc gamer). redface.gif

If you are trying to talk yourself out of the new consoles in favor of pc I can appreciate where that comes from but I think it would be a mistake to discount what they can do based solely upon what we have seen thus far (especially considering the two examples I gave above).

PC will remain superior on all counts but it also costs more to remain cutting edge with PC gaming, we have gpu's alone that cost more than either of these consoles (heck a Titan was more than both of these consoles combined).

smile.gif
Jason

Nah, I think it just sounds like a lazy port. I do wonder whether anyone but first parties will put in the time to optimize anything for these consoles anymore though. If console gamers seem to be fine with low resolution or frame rate, why even bother? Seems easier just to port the PC version and fiddle with the settings until it runs fine, and call it a day.

post #17 of 647 Old 01-23-2014, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:

Both Killzone Shadow Fall and Ryse are running at or around 30fps, and in addition, Ryse is 720p.

The games both look and, for the most part, play great - I'm not trying to take that away from them. But even a 3 year-old gaming PC should be able to play these both at 1080p 60fps with no problems, if optimized correctly.

I know gameplay is the #1 priority, but sub-1080p 60fps is not the "next-gen" from consoles I was hoping for. Hopefully it's just a starting point for devs to raise it to the next level. With the 60fps rumor for the PS4 Tomb Raider, at least that console is currently showing a little more potential.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #18 of 647 Old 01-23-2014, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Both Killzone Shadow Fall and Ryse are running at or around 30fps, and in addition, Ryse is 720p.

The games both look and, for the most part, play great - I'm not trying to take that away from them. But even a 3 year-old gaming PC should be able to play these both at 1080p 60fps with no problems, if optimized correctly.

I know gameplay is the #1 priority, but sub-1080p 60fps is not the "next-gen" from consoles I was hoping for. Hopefully it's just a starting point for devs to raise it to the next level. With the 60fps rumor for the PS4 Tomb Raider, at least that console is currently showing a little more potential.

I'm not sure how the title of this thread, Xbox getting the shaft, is accurate. Have you looked at the spec difference between the 2 systems, ps4 has 32 rops compared to 16, has a 40% more powerful gpu, and from all accounts either the cpu is more efficient, or running at a greater speed, that doesnt even account for the spped difference in memory. Plus the Ps4 is not having to snap, or reserve horsepower for Kinect. I thought it was common knowledge that the ps4 is a decent amount more powerful.

Daver, Shadow fall is 1080p , 60fps for multiplayer, and 30 fps campaign, Ryse is 900p/ 30. I do agree that both consoles should run this game at 1080p 60, really makes me wonder how much resources are tied up in the OS of the Xbox one.
DaverJ and freemeat like this.

Xbox Live- bucknuts07

PSN-bucknuts07

post #19 of 647 Old 01-23-2014, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknuts07 View Post

I'm not sure how the title of this thread, Xbox getting the shaft, is accurate. Have you looked at the spec difference between the 2 systems, ps4 has 32 rops compared to 16, has a 40% more powerful gpu, and from all accounts either the cpu is more efficient, or running at a greater speed, that doesnt even account for the spped difference in memory. Plus the Ps4 is not having to snap, or reserve horsepower for Kinect. I thought it was common knowledge that the ps4 is a decent amount more powerful.

Daver, Shadow fall is 1080p , 60fps for multiplayer, and 30 fps campaign, Ryse is 900p/ 30. I do agree that both consoles should run this game at 1080p 60, really makes me wonder how much resources are tied up in the OS of the Xbox one.

I understand it's more powerful. I just can't comprehend why on these ports the FPS is having such a problem, ghosts was brought down in resolution to sustain 60 FPS and I have some pretty large frame rate drops in that game with little to no action on screen. If these problems continue to occur. It makes me wonder the viability of this consoles generation over the long term.
post #20 of 647 Old 01-23-2014, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfamousGamer View Post

I understand it's more powerful. I just can't comprehend why on these ports the FPS is having such a problem, ghosts was brought down in resolution to sustain 60 FPS and I have some pretty large frame rate drops in that game with little to no action on screen. If these problems continue to occur. It makes me wonder the viability of this consoles generation over the long term.

Ghost was a rushed port, but was 1080p and actually above 60 on ps4, on Xbone 720p 60.

Xbox Live- bucknuts07

PSN-bucknuts07

post #21 of 647 Old 01-23-2014, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the correction, duly noted. I don't play multiplayer, so I never saw Killzone @ 60fps.

I should say that Ryse at 900p has a noticeable softness on my 1080p TV. It looks closer to 720 than 1080.

post #22 of 647 Old 01-23-2014, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah I heard that. I do also agree with the hardware resource loss on the OS side. Half of the OS doesn't work. It will be like the 360 was for the first part of the year.
post #23 of 647 Old 01-23-2014, 07:32 AM

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsaber View Post

I'm still picking it up. I didn't play it on the 360 or PC, so this will be a new game to me.

I finished it earlier this week. If you like Uncharted-type games you'll love it. Looks fantastic on the 360 - I can only imagine how it will look on next gen smile.gif
post #24 of 647 Old 01-23-2014, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Wasn't there a rumor that MS imposed a mandate that said "in order for a multiplatform game to be released on Xbox One, it had to have comparable features and graphical performance as the competition"? confused.gif

Probably not true, but now I'm wondering if I even heard that.

post #25 of 647 Old 01-23-2014, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Wasn't there a rumor that MS imposed a mandate that said "in order for a multiplatform game to be released on Xbox One, it had to have comparable features and graphical performance as the competition"? confused.gif

I heard that as well
post #26 of 647 Old 01-23-2014, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:

Perhaps, but "comparable" and "identical" are not the same thing. If you played a 2 minute clip of COD on PS4 and X1 to the average gamer, I doubt they would notice a difference. To me, that satisfies "comparable."
post #27 of 647 Old 01-23-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 287
Quote:

The only thing I have ever heard was in regards to indie games, and I don't remember hearing anything about graphics, just that it had to release at the same time.
DaverJ likes this.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #28 of 647 Old 01-23-2014, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaville View Post

Perhaps, but "comparable" and "identical" are not the same thing. If you played a 2 minute clip of COD on PS4 and X1 to the average gamer, I doubt they would notice a difference. To me, that satisfies "comparable."

Yeah, I think COD satisfies that. But 30fps vs. 60fps is a different story IMO: side by side, I would bet the average gamer and non-gamers would notice a difference.

But Gunner is probably right, might be thinking of release dates and/or indie games.

post #29 of 647 Old 01-23-2014, 09:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yeah, I think COD satisfies that. But 30fps vs. 60fps is a different story IMO: side by side, I would bet the average gamer and non-gamers would notice a difference.

But Gunner is probably right, might be thinking of release dates and/or indie games.

Yeah, that's definitely a thing. If you want to be part of their indie program, you need to release the x1 version at the same time as at least the PS4, not sure it that applies to PC though. I wonder how that's working out for them.

Back at gamescom Sony brought out this whole string of indie games that were "coming first to console on PS4", and I don't think any of them have been announced for the Xbox one.

post #30 of 647 Old 01-23-2014, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Quote:

Excellent post. PS4 (pure gaming power), Xbox One (Kinect), Wii U (gamepad) all have different strengths and focuses.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page