Planned to go Digital ONLY, learned to compromise - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 99 Old 02-03-2014, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I had every intention of only buying DD games. Then TrU had the buy three items and get a $50 GC and I ended up with a disk based title. (Picked up Ryse for me, NBA for son and got a controller). Now I have not purchased another disk based game but I have played Dead Rising 3 which I borrowed and am now playing AC4 which I borrowed. Now my go to games (Or go to for a while) were CoD and Forza and I LOVED not having to go change disks. So for now my plan is to go DD with titles I am sure to keep playing for a while (Titanfall is next) and grab disks when there is a decent financial incentive or I know friends will want to borrow them.

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 99 Old 02-03-2014, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 172
I really do want to go DD also but the thing that bothers me the most is the little perks that the brick and mortars and online etailers put in effect. Titanfall is the game that I want to DD because after playing the Alpha I have NO intention of trading that in. When I do it'll be worth five cents by then. lol

AT HAMMOND ROBOTICS WE'RE BRINGING THE FUTURE ... HOME
post #3 of 99 Old 02-03-2014, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I think this will be the case for most gamers. I have a blend currently of DD and disks. In the short-term, I think retailers will continue to offer discounts on disks which will make us think twice about the DDs. My hope is that they find a way to allow us to truly install a game from the disk so that the disk is no longer needed after install. A one time usable code would do the trick.
post #4 of 99 Old 02-03-2014, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda1169 View Post

I think this will be the case for most gamers. I have a blend currently of DD and disks. In the short-term, I think retailers will continue to offer discounts on disks which will make us think twice about the DDs. My hope is that they find a way to allow us to truly install a game from the disk so that the disk is no longer needed after install. A one time usable code would do the trick.

Microsoft's original plan was to tie games to your Live account, so that you could install games from the disk and never need the disk again. This is what caused all the backlash over used games, so they abandoned it. Personally, I would have preferred this. I rarely trade in or buy used games, and the convenience of it would have been great. Providing a "one time code" would create the same issues with used games, so I think we're stuck using the disk unless we buy DD.

I've been buying more DD games than I expected, primarily so that I can share them with my kids' Xbox One.
post #5 of 99 Old 02-03-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Digital only is much more expensive for me the way it currently is. As it is now I can buy games cheaper on retail disc in most cases and then sell them or trade them when I'm done with them. If the DD prices come at a significant discount to offset the amount I would get when selling on craiglist or trading them in then that changes things. As of now, most of the time the Physical games offer a huge advantage on consoles for my lifestyle.
post #6 of 99 Old 02-03-2014, 10:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 671
I can't go back to discs. Even though there are some exceptional deals, I can't force myself to do it. Since using discs will completely change the experience. I will just end up buying fewer games because of DD being more expensive.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #7 of 99 Old 02-03-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I only buy digital if it is an incredible deal (Steam) or if I want that game on my HD for quick play for the rest of the generation. I bought the DD of Injustice for this reason, a great fighter game is always good to have around. A story game? Ya, no need. I got a deal on the DD of BF4 and thought the MP would be worth it, now I regret it. Love having Warframe on the drive, free and fun MP.
barrelbelly likes this.

Now playing: TLoU PS4
Recently Finished: Watch Dogs, Southpark: Stick of Truth, Infamous: SS
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
post #8 of 99 Old 02-03-2014, 01:01 PM

Inevitably DD prices will come down. Also the ease of DD use with the XBONE is very seamless and smooth. I prefer DD with my XONE but their pricing irks me. By contrast, using disks with the XONE seems clunky and outdated.
post #9 of 99 Old 02-03-2014, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 84
I will only buy digital this generation ...even it means I buy less titles than I would with them being 'cheaper' on disc. Physical media for me is not next-gen.
post #10 of 99 Old 02-03-2014, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I would prefer DD but for the big titles it has only been discs for me. I doubt there will be steam-like prices until years after the game has been released. I have bought 6 discs so far and have paid full price for one. 3 were on sale and 2 I picked up with credits from the local game store (not Gamestop). Though not really, I consider them free. Plus I have enough credits there to get 6 or 7 One titles as soon as they are traded in. So I don't want everyone to go DD until I get my money's worth. smile.gif I will probably download whatever PGA golf game comes out as I play those all the time and know that my time would be heavily split between that and whatever else I might fancy at the time. There was so many times on the 360 where someone wanted to play golf and I was doing something else. The convenience of doing an almost instant switch is too tempting to ignore.
tampabuc likes this.
post #11 of 99 Old 02-03-2014, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 287
I would love to get certain games digital, like titanfall. But our DSL is only 5 Mbps here, so I would have to wait a day or two to play the game.
tampabuc likes this.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #12 of 99 Old 02-03-2014, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Don't do it Frank!

Lots of really smart people and great arguments here for the contrary but I haven't paid full price for a game in years.

I pay an average of $40 for brand new games, on release day, with a little work and/or potential follow-up later, not counting resale valve. I don't see that changing anytime soon but would love to see that change in the future. In the mean time, I really enjoy seeing my game, cd, Blu-ray, etc. collection on a shelf and more importantly, as an asset that I can trade for food when the zombie apocalypse finally arrives. In the mean time, I can get off my a-ss and change the disk out.
post #13 of 99 Old 02-03-2014, 06:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

The last thing I want to see is a disc on a shelf. Most of my BDs and HD DVDs are in storage. I rip them and never have to touch them again. At least ideally. All my CDs from 1985 to 2008 have been in storage for years. I hate dealing with discs, but it is a necessary evil sometimes.

LED DLP

post #14 of 99 Old 02-04-2014, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

The last thing I want to see is a disc on a shelf. Most of my BDs and HD DVDs are in storage. I rip them and never have to touch them again. At least ideally. All my CDs from 1985 to 2008 have been in storage for years. I hate dealing with discs, but it is a necessary evil sometimes.

I couldn't tell you were my cd's are. There here somewhere probably next to my vinyl (ruined by now). But, for music at least, it has been downloads since before iTunes. Possibly not legal at first wink.gif but since I developed a conscience, they have been. The music industry seemed to have gotten it a lot faster than movie and especially console gaming has. I have ripped certain movies (classics mostly) that I watch over and over and keep them on my server. Those discs go into a box never to see the light of day. While tempting to sell, my cd remark stands in the way. I also use the ultraviolet service on occasion. While my original plan was to do what you did. I envy your Raid setup. If I was a younger man, I would do just that. And would probably be even more ready to go totally digital with everything. It is the future even if it means some people will be left behind. Slow internet be damned. They will find a way to service those customers.
post #15 of 99 Old 02-04-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 333
I refuse to buy another disc for any reason. I dont care if the disc version is half the price, I simply dont want to store or maintain it it.

Simply put. Digital download for me. Or Redbox rental for BR movies & short games.

Xbox Live & PSN gamertag- Daekwan
www.facebook.com/Daekwan
post #16 of 99 Old 02-04-2014, 01:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:

What method do you use to rip BRs? I would love to start doing that.

Xbox Live & PSN gamertag- Daekwan
www.facebook.com/Daekwan
post #17 of 99 Old 02-04-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

For BD titles I just rip them to an ISO. For the HD DVDs I've converted many of them to MKVs. Many people convert the BDs to MKVs also. But I just prefer to rip it to an ISO and not have to deal with anyting else.

LED DLP

post #18 of 99 Old 02-04-2014, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For BD titles I just rip them to an ISO. For the HD DVDs I've converted many of them to MKVs. Many people convert the BDs to MKVs also. But I just prefer to rip it to an ISO and not have to deal with anyting else.
Dude I need your help. I still have a nice library of HD-DVD's (you know when the firesale was going down wink.gif ) and still have my old 360 HD-DVD player which is working. BUT I want to move all that to digital before the drive fails one day. Help a brother out with a concise solution. I can do it on Mac or PC so whatever solution you come up with.

post #19 of 99 Old 02-04-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalownership View Post

Dude I need your help. I still have a nice library of HD-DVD's (you know when the firesale was going down wink.gif ) and still have my old 360 HD-DVD player which is working. BUT I want to move all that to digital before the drive fails one day. Help a brother out with a concise solution. I can do it on Mac or PC so whatever solution you come up with.

Just connect that 360 HD DVd player up to a PC and rip them to an ISO first with IMGBurn. Then get MakeMKV to convert the movie to MKV . It doesn't work on all HD DVds though. It's been awhile, I think it's the VC-1 titles that cause issues.

LED DLP

post #20 of 99 Old 02-04-2014, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

I believe you need anydvdhd to rip them to iso's. Then play them with powerdvd or other software players. There may be other ways, but this is pretty easy. Not the place for this discussion but I am sure it is here somewhere.
post #21 of 99 Old 02-04-2014, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just connect that 360 HD DVd player up to a PC and rip them to an ISO first with IMGBurn. Then get MakeMKV to convert the movie to MKV . It doesn't work on all HD DVds though. It's been awhile, I think it's the VC-1 titles that cause issues.
Ok cool, thanks man. I gotta get on that very soon before the drive dies on me. It's not showing any symptoms but you know how it goes. My friend bought his after mine and his died years ago.

post #22 of 99 Old 02-04-2014, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks aaronwt. I also want digital only copies of all my media as back-ups with "instant & immediate access on all devices."

Who doesn't but a perfect lossless copy is key (no exceptions!). This is a good start in the right direction but it's still a pain in the a-ss to achieve that plus no shiny disks to look at and all value is lost frown.gif. I'll be calling on you for help to archive properly when I find the time. Not to mention that there is still a generation+ out there that think Netflix streaming & iTunes of everything is a perfectly acceptable form of media. It works but they are really missing out sadly.

Back to gaming....I just don't get it, sorry. Regardless of my many hobbies & collectables over the years, hunting down the best possible price was always a huge factor and part of the fun. Why pay $60 for a new game when you absolutely don't have to with a short drive to the evil big box store?

I guess I'm just old school. Plus, I love to pull out the old Beatles, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Bob Marley, Sublime, etc. box sets & albums for the "physical and artistic value" on a regular basis. The asset is never lost and always immediately available for home, car, sharing, etc. I have something tangible and that means a lot to me.
post #23 of 99 Old 02-04-2014, 05:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbe View Post

I believe you need anydvdhd to rip them to iso's. Then play them with powerdvd or other software players. There may be other ways, but this is pretty easy. Not the place for this discussion but I am sure it is here somewhere.

Yes I use AnyDVdHD for my BD titles but I think you can get by without it for the HD DVD titles. Its been awhile for me though.
tampabuc likes this.

LED DLP

post #24 of 99 Old 02-04-2014, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 116
I will never support Digital Only. I can't trade it, can't sell it, can't swap or borrow/loan it, it is always more expensive to buy vs a Disc. DD ends up being several times more $$$. it is strictly another money grab and I can't believe people are falling for it.
Leo_Ames and freemeat like this.
post #25 of 99 Old 02-04-2014, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post

I will never support Digital Only. I can't trade it, can't sell it, can't swap or borrow/loan it, it is always more expensive to buy vs a Disc. DD ends up being several times more $$$. it is strictly another money grab and I can't believe people are falling for it.

Very well said. There is a very profound, pre-defined path, & important reason for the significant push to 100% DD. Consumer benefit and ease of access is not a factor. It's a long-term strategic corporate initiative. We're all just along for the ride unless we vote with our wallets (wishful thanking). Plus, as much as I despise GameStop, I don't want to see their employees lose their jobs or lose the ability to help grandmas on black Friday find that "must have" brand new Just Dance game for the 2006 original Wii. That **** still sells like its going out of style.
freemeat likes this.
post #26 of 99 Old 02-04-2014, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:

Some people are willing to pay way more money for the convenience of it all.

I agree with you. When you convert to DD you do gain convenience, but you lose so much more in the process. Like you said, you can't do anything with the thing after purchasing it, so it's hard to really consider that ownership. In fact, I really don't think it is ownership. It's more like a long-term lease, for as long as you own a console and are using that Xbox Live Gamertag. You have no other rights.

There is one other advantage with DD however. If you own two systems, you can buy it once, and essentially have it working on two different consoles simultaneously.
post #27 of 99 Old 02-04-2014, 09:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampabuc View Post

Very well said. There is a very profound, pre-defined path, & important reason for the significant push to 100% DD. Consumer benefit and ease of access is not a factor. It's a long-term strategic corporate initiative. We're all just along for the ride unless we vote with our wallets (wishful thanking). Plus, as much as I despise GameStop, I don't want to see their employees lose their jobs or lose the ability to help grandmas on black Friday find that "must have" brand new Just Dance game for the 2006 original Wii. That **** still sells like its going out of style.

If I go by my purchases with the XBOx 360, I bought all my major games on disc. many dozens of them since launch in 2005. Most of the games I still have. And the 15 or 20 that i eventually traded in, I only got a few cents to a few dollars. Not worth the effort at all. (Although I did get $40 for GTAV, but I sold that a few weeks after getting it and only playing it for a little while. Which was not the norm for me.) So DD are really no different for me except that I don't have to deal with any discs.
Quote:

There is nothing to fall for. It much easier to deal with and I can quickly change between titles without messing around with stupid discs. I don't want to deal with selling it. Trading it after several years is not worth it either. I have no desire to swap it and it would be rare for me to loan it to someone. That's what rentals are for.

LED DLP

post #28 of 99 Old 02-05-2014, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

One of the benefits for me for buying discs is that I can hand them down to my kids. Plus a brother and sister. That has always worked in the past. I am still a little fuzzy on this sharing of downloads between family since I only own the one device. I recently traded in a bunch of games along with some dvd's and a few blu-rays and ended up with about $500 of credit. It was mostly dvd's actually. Since I had watched the dvd's and my kids were done with the game disc's, I decided to try that route. It averaged about $5 a disc. I thought it was pretty good for what it was. It is not worth it to me to ebay the disc's but trading them en mass was rather painless. Of course, selling like that is heavily based on what you get from your local shop. I did not use GameStop as I had gotten little the one time I tried them.
post #29 of 99 Old 02-05-2014, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 435
I stopped buying BR movies a couple of years back. Just didn't see the point for the extra cost. I am digital everything except my game consoles and that is soon to change because I don't let go of games I enjoy to trade in so no point getting a couple of bucks from Gamestop. Every since Steam came out I stopped buying disc for my gaming PCs. The family likes logging into the 360 and Xbox One without needing to find a disc to play a game. Along with watching all the Apps and tv available we just don't see the point buying disc for movies. Just going to the movies has beern a rarity because only a certain type of movie is worth going to spend the money to watch. Going to see the Lego movie with my kids. That is a must see.

The 5.0 is here
post #30 of 99 Old 02-05-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:

Like it or not DD is the future. It may take 10-20 years to get everyone on board and to fully sort out DRM but its coming. Believe me, in 10 years, if not sooner, we'll all look back and laugh at archaic physical media.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page