Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 32 Old 02-07-2014, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 168
The New Way to Rent Games in 2014

So, the Xbox One and PS4 have now been on the market for 3 months. But if you've been to you local RedBox, you've likely noticed that there are no next-get games available for rent. (unless you live in one of the test market areas like parts of Denver) Of course, there is always GameFly right ? Well, most know that GameFly is highly unreliable, and it can almost take a small miracle to get the actual game that you were hoping for. Plus, you're paying a pretty big monthly fee, and if you really think about it, how many of those 30 days do you actually have the game in your house ? How many days is that game in transit ? That's the problem with GameFly. You're lucky if you actually get the game you were hoping for, and even if you do, when you finally send it away you might have to wait a very long time to get the next game that you actually give a damn about.

Even when RedBox does finally start renting XB1 and PS4 games everywhere, you know the selection will be very limited, and you're paying $2 for a night. You want to keep it for week like you used to do with Blockbuster ? You're paying quite a bit.

Here is my new strategy for renting. Bottom line, you gotta wait a little bit, and get games at the first point when they drop 33 percent. For example, a $59.99 game going on sale for $39.99. Or you get it from Ebay for $40 shipped. Or you get it from Craigslist for $40 straight up. Basically, you just have to wait till you can get that nice 33 percent drop. It will come sooner or later. I've seen just about every single XB1 and PS4 game on sale for $39.99 at some location, for a limited time, during the last 3 months. You just had to be there to grab the deals when they were there. I did the Target thing, and got a bunch of games for $41.50 each after tax and everything. I'm perfectly comfortable with dropping that much, on a game with the idea that I'm just renting it.
Basically, buy the games that you would rent, but just make sure to get them on that first big price drop, and then play the game for about 60 to 90 days, and ship it off to the next guy for $30. $10 for a 2 or 3 month rental is a better value than either RedBox or GameFly.
Just the other day, I was able to get a used copy of Knack from Craigslist for 30 bucks. Pretty hard to beat. I'll probably play that game for the next several months, and then I'll sell it off to somebody else for $25. It's a 3 month rental for $5.

Bottom line... This method does require a bunch more cash up front, but ultimately, it's a much cheaper way to go. I bought Madden 25 for PS4 right at launch thru the Target deal for $41.50. I sold it a week before the SuperBowl for $35. I paid $6.50 to rent Madden for 2 1/2 months. Much better than $2 per night at RedBox.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 02-07-2014, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 569
if you rent Redbox in the morning, you basically get a 2 day rental for the price of a 1 day rental since you get to return it the next day 9 pm. so you rent Saturday morning and you get it for all of Saturday and almost all of Sunday.
post #3 of 32 Old 02-08-2014, 12:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Good thinking I just might try this.
post #4 of 32 Old 02-08-2014, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

if you rent Redbox in the morning, you basically get a 2 day rental for the price of a 1 day rental since you get to return it the next day 9 pm. so you rent Saturday morning and you get it for all of Saturday and almost all of Sunday.

That's true, and whenever I do rent a game at Redbox, I always make sure to get it in the morning, to have it for that maximum time period. Still, $2 will add up if you want to keep the game multiple days. For the new Metal Gear Solid game that is coming soon that is only a little 2 hour preview, RedBox would be perfect for that, but if you want to play a 14 hour campaign, I'm not sure it's the best idea, because you'd probably have to rent it 4 or 5 times. That's why I like the idea of buying the game outright at the first big price drop, play it heavily for a while and then send it off to the next guy for a minimal loss. Basically the cost of a weekly rental, except you're getting the game for one month or even multiple months.
post #5 of 32 Old 02-10-2014, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Sometimes you can even eek out a small profit. Especially with DS cartridges.

xbl/gamecenter: leff4
psn/twitter: ileff
my app: video poker clock
post #6 of 32 Old 02-10-2014, 08:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Do you guys clip coupons for your groceries? You'd probably save more doing that than worrying about a couple of dollars on a video game. Gaming is probably the cheapest source of entertainment out there save for maybe a really long book.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #7 of 32 Old 02-10-2014, 08:17 PM

Liked: 44
This is pretty much how I buy games: Purchase the game for no more than $50.00 and sell it when I'm done with it for about $35.00 (unless it's a game like Titanfall where I'll play it for a year). That's only $15.00 for a few months of a rental, I'm able to get the game right away (or almost right away), and don't feel too bad if the game stinks smile.gif
post #8 of 32 Old 02-10-2014, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

Do you guys clip coupons for your groceries? You'd probably save more doing that than worrying about a couple of dollars on a video game. Gaming is probably the cheapest source of entertainment out there save for maybe a really long book.

See, here's my problem, I spend tons of money on the EQUIPMENT that I play games on, and the surrounding EQUIPMENT. A Whole bunch of money on all the home theater stuff that I feel like I have to have. I have to cut corners somewhere. Why not buy the hottest games as soon as I can find them for $30 or $35, and play them for a few months, and sell them off for a 5 bucks loss or less?

5 Bucks for a 60 day rental is definitely a smart way to go if you ask me.

Why pay $2 at RedBox for a 1 nite rental, when you can pay $5 for a 60 day rental (or even 90 day rental), Sure, it costs more money up front, but it's just a smarter way to go. It does take a wee bit of effort compared to just buying a game at the store. (by the way, if you can buy a game at a store for $39.99, and it's still a very hot game, then you can probably play it for a couple of months and it might cost $10 instead of $5 for the two month rental, but it's still a pretty good value. You don't even have to actually meet a human. Just wait till you can find the $39.99 deal on a new game from a store or online, and just know that you'll take a $10 hit, if you sell it in 60 days, but again, $10 for 60 days is better than GameFly.
post #9 of 32 Old 02-10-2014, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 207
I've thought about doing this but there are a lot of variables that work against you. Number one being where you live and the current video game market. I've tried to sell videogames on craigslist and it's not worth the hassle. If you can find a good trade in deal, I'd go for that than going the craigslist/eBay route. The real issue with this system is that you are taking a chance every time you do it (that someone will buy it back from you for just a bit under what you paid). I don't like to rely on other people when it comes to my money.

I understand you're trying to save money and there's nothing wrong with that. Personally, I'd rather spend my time doing other things than trying to flip a videogame.
mboojigga likes this.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #10 of 32 Old 02-10-2014, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post

If you can find a good trade in deal, I'd go for that than going the craigslist/eBay route. The real issue with this system is that you are taking a chance every time you do it (that someone will buy it back from you for just a bit under what you paid). I don't like to rely on other people when it comes to my money.

1. Trade in Deals, very, very, very rarely actually benefit the seller. I'm not sure why people fear Ebay. I'm not a huge fan of Ebay, because they take about 20 percent off the top, but it's extremely easy to sell things on Ebay with minimal effort. Plus, on Ebay, your game will sell for a higher price than you'd ever get on Craigslist, so it kinda makes up for the 20 percent Ebay/Paypal hit that you take.

2. You said, " that someone will buy it back from you for just a bit under what you paid".... Actually, remember, this is a RENTAL. It does cost money to rent something, so you have to assume you're either paying a $5 rental fee, or a $10 rental fee, for your 60 to 90 day rental. Also, I'm sure some 90 day rentals could end up costing you as much as $15 if you pick your games poorly. I don't really advise keeping the Rental for more than 60 days, because then you are taking chances, but if you stick with 60 days, and just know that it's a 60 day rental, and not an actual long-term purchase, then you know what to expect of the transaction.

You just have to get the game during the first big price drop (like when $59.99 goes to $39.99), or find it on Craigslist for $40 or less, (or Ebay, but harder to find real cheap on Ebay). You have to get the game on a pretty nice discount, so the formula will work, and you also have to pick a game that people will still be interested in, 60 days from now. Buying Madden 25 for the Xbox One for $35 or $40 would be a bad idea, because I think you might end up selling it for only 20 bucks in another 60 days. So you have to ask yourself if there will still be relatively decent demand another 60 days from now. If you buy the game low enough, you'll have no problem making the rental work, and as others have said, sometimes you can even make a profit, and basically rent the game for free, and the profit could help pay for other rentals.

Remember folks.... It's all about the FIRST BIG DROP. You gotta buy it at the first big drop, it's got to be a 33 percent drop to be worth it ($59.99 to $39.99), and you have to hold true to the 60 day pattern of selling. If you don't like people, you sell it on Ebay as a BIN, and just set it high enough to make sure you clear your desired amount minus the 5 dollar (or 10 dollar) rental fee , and the Ebay / Paypal fees.
post #11 of 32 Old 02-13-2014, 12:24 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:

I understand you're trying to save money and there's nothing wrong with that. Personally, I'd rather spend my time doing other things than trying to flip a videogame.

I would agree if it was a lot of effort, but it does not need to be. I have been buying games on Amazon then selling back under the Amazon trade-in program. You don't get as much money as eBay, but it is one click and you get a free shipping label from Amazon and you are done. I just traded the Xbox One version Tomb Raider back to Amazon for $27 and it took me a total of about one minute to tape the label in a manilla envelope and ship it off.
post #12 of 32 Old 02-13-2014, 12:31 PM

Liked: 16

I thought when I saw this it was going to say "Buy used games and return them withing 7 days".

mikeloxlong and freemeat like this.
post #13 of 32 Old 02-13-2014, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post

I would agree if it was a lot of effort, but it does not need to be. I have been buying games on Amazon then selling back under the Amazon trade-in program. You don't get as much money as eBay, but it is one click and you get a free shipping label from Amazon and you are done. I just traded the Xbox One version Tomb Raider back to Amazon for $27 and it took me a total of about one minute to tape the label in a manilla envelope and ship it off.

I've traded into Amazon before and it wasn't too bad. However, that's a $33 loss on Tomb Raider (unless there's a promotion). Not exactly a rental if you ask me.

post #14 of 32 Old 02-14-2014, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Tomb Raider is so new, you could have sold it very quickly for $40 on Craigslist. Probably would have had an easy time selling it for $45.
post #15 of 32 Old 02-14-2014, 02:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 169
My cousin just picked up TR:DE for PS4 tonight for $30 (off CL).

* The seller was asking $35 and it had been posted for several days with no buyer.

Jason
post #16 of 32 Old 02-14-2014, 10:47 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:

I've traded into Amazon before and it wasn't too bad. However, that's a $33 loss on Tomb Raider (unless there's a promotion). Not exactly a rental if you ask me.

I was not trying to say it should be compared to a rental. I was simply offering up a hassle free way to sell a used game.
post #17 of 32 Old 02-16-2014, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

My cousin just picked up TR:DE for PS4 tonight for $30 (off CL).

* The seller was asking $35 and it had been posted for several days with no buyer.

Jason

Wow.. In my area, I haven't seen any next-gen Tomb Raiders for sale. I would expect them to be going for $45 on Craigslist if I saw it, primarily because there hasn't been a drop at retail at all yet. Usually, once there is the first retail drop to $39.99, then after that you start seeing the games for $30. But maybe that's just in my particular area.
post #18 of 32 Old 02-16-2014, 01:49 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't live in a big town, so selling something on Craigslist that isn't furniture is very hit or miss. Heck, I tried to get rid of Killzone 2 weeks after launch and pretty much got laughed off of Craigslist for asking $40 for it. I had a couple offers in the $20 range but decided to keep it.

I've pretty much decided, unless there is a killer trade in deal, to not bother trying to sell games this gen. So far I've gone about 50/50 anyway in terms of physical and DD.

post #19 of 32 Old 02-16-2014, 04:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Wow.. In my area, I haven't seen any next-gen Tomb Raiders for sale. I would expect them to be going for $45 on Craigslist if I saw it, primarily because there hasn't been a drop at retail at all yet. Usually, once there is the first retail drop to $39.99, then after that you start seeing the games for $30. But maybe that's just in my particular area.

They pop up in my area all the time for $30 to $40, I think there are a few more on there right now that I already own. I have yet to pay more than $40 and I have about 10 games between ps4/xone (all but 1 were purchased at retail). I got Killzone for $30 about 2 weeks after launch, off CL.

Jason
post #20 of 32 Old 02-16-2014, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

They pop up in my area all the time for $30 to $40, I think there are a few more on there right now that I already own. I have yet to pay more than $40 and I have about 10 games between ps4/xone (all but 1 were purchased at retail). I got Killzone for $30 about 2 weeks after launch, off CL.

Jason

There are a bunch of games I would buy if I could find them for $30. I just bought Knack for $30, that was one that I had wanted. I want to get Ryse for $30, but everybody near me is trying to get $50 for Ryse. When I email them and offer them $30, they respond like they are offended by my offer, lol. I'd grab Tomb Raider for $30 probably, if I could find it.

But yeah, why not buy it at $30, play for a few months, sell it for $20. $10 for a 60 day rental is actually relatively decent if you think about it, and many times you might actually get most of your money back, and it won't even cost $10 to rent it for 60 days. Maybe it only costs you 5 bucks or 3 bucks. Not too shabby at all, but it does take some effort to sell it, and depending on the area you are living in, it might be super easy to sell it, or it may be very difficult. I'd say if it was difficult to sell if your area, then might as well roll with Ebay, because it would be SUPER easy to sell on Ebay, only downside is the 20 percent that Ebay / Paypal takes off the top, so you have to try to overcharge a bit, but it will sell much faster than Craigslist.

Quote:

Heck, I tried to get rid of Killzone 2 weeks after launch and pretty much got laughed off of Craigslist for asking $40 for it. I had a couple offers in the $20 range but decided to keep it.

In your situation, I would sell it on Ebay. If you were selling Killzone Shadowfall on Ebay two weeks after launch, you probably could have gotten about $48 for it, plus another $4 for shipping. Now, of course, Ebay is going to take 20 percent of that, so that would leave you with $38.40 instead of the $48, but still, that's almost double 20 bucks, so you'll always do better with Ebay if your area doesn't have a thriving craigslist community.
post #21 of 32 Old 02-16-2014, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Ebay takes 20% now?! No thanks. I'll use them to buy stuff but that's just stupid.

post #22 of 32 Old 02-16-2014, 01:19 PM

Liked: 19
The Ebay store wants 25% to handle stuff. That's steep.

I remember when products were built to last.
post #23 of 32 Old 02-16-2014, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ebay takes 20% now?! No thanks. I'll use them to buy stuff but that's just stupid.

Ebay + PayPal takes about 20 percent, give or take a few percentiles.

Here's the thing though... Yes, they do take a huge chunk out of the equation, but at the same time, you can sell for a much higher price to cover the 20 percent, so sometimes it can balance out to be basically the same as Craigslist. When I try to sell something on Craigslist, I'm selling to a limited audience of people that happen to be checking my local craigslist, and are willing to drive over to where I'm located. That's a very limited audience. When I put the same game on Ebay, it opens me up to millions of potential customers, and I can charge a higher price and get away with it.

In fact, sometimes when games are really new, they can sell for as much as $55 or even slightly higher. Even with the 20 percent hit that you're taking, you're going to get CONSIDERABLY more than what any trade in place is going to give you. I just think never dealing with Ebay is throwing the baby out with the bath water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaFan63 View Post

The Ebay store wants 25% to handle stuff. That's steep.

Yeah, but it doesn't really make sense to set up a store unless you're going to be selling TONS of items.
post #24 of 32 Old 02-20-2014, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I use gamefly. When I did the math it is $200 / year, But issues started with mass effect 3 with the online codes. Then Battlefield 3. the whole online pass thing sucks. However, when you get those 3 or 4 crap games. I remember when I played that ice game where you fight the orange monsters (forget the name) it was SO bad I was SO happy to send it back the next day. The way I think about it as long as I play 4 games per year that I otherwise would have bought and been sad about it is a win win for me. It is also great for the short games. Those games you blow through in a weekend.

+ my time is worth something, dont have time to be selling games myself

------------------------------------
post #25 of 32 Old 02-21-2014, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I would use GameFly, but every time that I've used them in the past, it's ultimately turned into a lackluster experience from the value standpoint. Ok, so you have the monthly fee that you have to pay of course. I believe it's $23 per month, to have 2 games out at at time. My biggest problem with the concept, is that during a 30 day period, I usually would only have a game that I was actually interested in having, about 15 days out of the 30 days, if that. You could say that you're paying $11.50 per game, per 30 day period. But the reality for me, is that I was paying about $11.50 per month, for actually having a game about 15 out of the 30 days. This wouldn't be so bad if I was able to actually get the games that I most wanted to get. Unfortunately, I usually ended up with my 7th most wanted game, or my 8th most wanted game. So, I would get this game that I was "kinda" interested in, but only for about half a month, for about $11.50 per month, and I had to have two games at a time, for a total of $23 per month.

It sounds really good in concept, but ultimately it failed in execution for me.

By the way, I know that there is a game, within the game, in terms of trying to leave your queue completely empty for multiple weeks to ensure that you get the specific game that you're trying to get, but again, if you do that, then how many days of the month are you paying for something, and yet you have nothing whatsoever to show for it ? Yes, I know that if you just do it for a week or two, and time it the right way, you can get the exact game that you want, but again, you're kinda screwing yourself, because you're paying this monthly fee yet so many of the days in the month you don't actually have what you want.

I think a better idea is my rental idea of buying the game at the first major price drop, and then playing it for a number of months and selling it off to somebody else for a 5 dollar or 10 dollar loss. The $5 or $10 that you loose turns into your rental fee for the period of time that you had it. This idea works better for me, because I can get the specific game that I'm interested in, hold it for exactly the amount of time that I need it, and then sell it off to somebody else for a minimal loss (rental fee). The only downside to my plan is that you have to have a wee bit of patience to wait for that first price drop.

Take a game like Tomb Raider, The Definitive Edition for example. This new Tomb Raider released for the XB1 and PS4 on January 28th. The regular price was $59.99. Just this last week, it went on sale for $39.99 a couple of places. So basically, you had to wait about 2 or 3 weeks after release to get it at the first price drop. On Craigslist, most peeps are trying to get about $40 or $45 for it. You can offer a guy $35 for it, and maybe get it at that price. Play it for a few months and sell it for $30 or $25. Seems like a good way to go, I don't mind waiting 2 1/2 weeks to a month for the first big price drop.
post #26 of 32 Old 02-21-2014, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 251
The key to gamefly is to have a clear queue (or have games that aren't yet released) and only have 1 title that has been released that you want.

For example, I just sent back a game and I want Thief. I have a few games in my queue, including Thief, but none of them have been released. As soon as Thief is released I'll likely have the game sent to me with their first batch of Thief mailings. Now, If I had Thief in there, even if I placed it #1 but had older stuff like NBA2k14 and Ryse, then I'd likely get those games instead of Thief.

This method has worked very reliable for years. I've also used gamefly to purchase games because I get an immediate 10% off, but I don't buy many games.

The only downside to Gamefly is that they can't seem to speed up their infrastructure for receiving returns. It literally takes the same today as it did about 3-4 years ago with no improvement. I seem to remember that Netflix has some sort of tie-in with USPS so that when USPS scans the return at some point Netflix registers it. I can't remember exactly, but such options ended up not being available for other by-mail services like Gamefly. Maybe Netflix no longer has it, I don't know, as I quit using their mail service option back when the untethered it from streaming.

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
post #27 of 32 Old 02-21-2014, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaadams View Post

+ my time is worth something, dont have time to be selling games myself

Pretty much sums it up, that's why I stick with Gamefly. With this system Anthony is proposing, there are simply too many variables in play to guarantee that you won't get shafted in the long run. Great that it works for him, but I'd simply rather not take the chance.

post #28 of 32 Old 02-23-2014, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So, I just sold Forza 5 for $44, and I sold Dead Rising 3 for $43. I bought both of those games for $39.99 on special, via Target, and paid $41.50 out the door for both of them. I made a $1.50 profit on DR3 and a $2.50 profit on Forza. Yeah, it's only 4 bucks profit, but it shows you that you can have these games for a very long time, and still end up selling them for MORE than you paid, which is pretty cool.

Now, it wasn't my strategy to try to buy these games for $41.50 each and sell them for slightly more, but it just worked out that way. I put those puppies up for sale at $44 and $43, and I could command that much for them, because there weren't any other copies floating around for cheaper at that time. This one dude wanted both of them, and didn't care that he was paying that much. He told me he just bought a brand new Xbox One with a brand new copy of Ghosts for $400 straight up, which I found slightly hard to believe, but anythings possible. He didn't mind paying a bit more for Forza and DR3 because he just wanted some hot games to play on his new system.

I had those games since launch day. I've had them in my possession for 93 days. I got my value out of them, and I moved on. Normally, I would have expected to take a $5, $10 or even $15 loss on my long term rental, but once in awhile you break even, or actually come out slightly ahead. I would probably buy back Forza and DR3 if I saw them somewhere for like $20. Maybe even $25. But for now, I'm happy to move on. New games are coming that are going to dominate my play time anyways (Titanfall & Infamous)
tampabuc and Weaselboy like this.
post #29 of 32 Old 02-24-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 40
While I think getting the game during the 1st dip is the most economical time to pick up a game, there is something that cannot be measured by the excitement and anticipation of getting the game at launch. Now not all games may evoke a positive emotion, but games like Halo, Gears of War and COD do this for many. At the same time, waiting a few months and having them patch fixes also has some value.

That being said, many games are discounted when pre-ordered. During the peak of Xbox 360, most places would offer $15 if not $20 off MRSP if pre-ordered (many times in a form of credit). Thus if you pre-order the game and get it for a net cost of $39.99 at the time of launch, and then sold it within the 1st 2 months or so, you would frequently get all your money back, and perhaps make a profit, especially if you sell the game before that '1st dip'. Even during the launch of the Xbox One, there were many buy 2 get 1 free deals that would make the cost of each game $40.

Currently, for what ever reason, most of these discounts have been reduced to $10 (I think that is the current discount for Titanfall). I think that with more digital distribution, the discounts at launch will continue to be less, and the price dips will also be less as it can be controlled by Microsoft based on the DD price. This may be a positive for the used game market, as it keeps the price of the game high.

Xbox and PS3 Gamertag = Xerostomia
Wii = I'm too lazy to get the number
post #30 of 32 Old 02-24-2014, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, every once in a blue moon, I'll buy a game on the actual launch day. I mean, I got 3 PS4 and 3 Xbox One games on launch day through that Target B2G1 deal. I actually didn't pay full price for those, but if I had to pay full price, I would have. Of course, I probably would have only bought one game for each system. NBA 2K14 for the PS4 and Forza 5 for the XB1.

However, I would have bought the games at Target, and used my 5 percent off Target card, and I would also have 90 days to match prices with anybody, so if the games dropped in the first 90 days, I could match the price. I feel like that's a decent deal for a game that I just have to have right away. Titanfall is going to be that game for me on March 11. Honestly, I'm not that hardcore into the multiplayer games, but it's the game my kids have been waiting for. They played it during the beta, and they are the ones hyped to get it on March 11th. I'm buying it at Target. Already pre-ordered it from Target, which gets me a 5 dollar gift card. Plus, I'll of course pay with my Target red card for another 5 percent off.

Still, I'm hoping that Titanfall is temporarily on sale at Amazon for $39.99 in the middle of May, and I can get my difference, so I end up getting Titanfall for $39.99. Certainly, there is a good chance that Titanfall doesn't have that 33 percent dip that most games have, at least not in the first 90 days. Maybe it will have a $10 dip or $15 dip. Whatever, if it has a dip, I'll get the difference, so I'm cool with buying it at Target. I think I could do the same thing with Costco, but Costco doesn't get their games that fast. Sometimes the game will come out days after it's already hit GameStop.

I'm also planning on buying Infamous for PS4, and that game is more for me to play (I'm more a single player guy), but I'm not sure that I'm going to run out and immediately buy it for $59.99, even at Target. I think I might try to just wait for the $39.99 dip, or wait for Craigslist. Unless the game is getting amazing reviews across the board. I've already listened to a Joystiq podcast where one of the guys on the show played it for a number of hours, and he came away a bit negative on the preview. If the reviews are even remotely in question, I'll wait for that first drop before buying.
Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page