AVS Forum banner

Thief

1K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  TonyDP 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Anyone know if this game will be available for digital download?

#4 ·
I thought all new games are made available for digital download now?

#6 ·
I remember hearing that all games would be available for digital download, but I wasnt sure if that was announced prior to their digital distribution chaos or not. Wasnt sure if it still applied.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaville  /t/1519615/thief#post_24408417

I went ahead and bought this. I'll post my thoughts later when I get a chance to play it (they really need to fix the long install times with a future patch).
[

This was high on my list so am very interested in your review. Gameplay and puzzle aspect mostly. Tech review not so much except if there are problems with pop in, tearing, voice acting. Those things that take away from the interest of playing. Basically is it fun to play and will hold your interest to play it for more than a day or two. Thanks for any info in those areas.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbe  /t/1519615/thief#post_24410034

[

This was high on my list so am very interested in your review. Gameplay and puzzle aspect mostly. Tech review not so much except if there are problems with pop in, tearing, voice acting. Those things that take away from the interest of playing. Basically is it fun to play and will hold your interest to play it for more than a day or two. Thanks for any info in those areas.

I played it for about an hour last night (got through the prologue and chapter 1). I will preface this by saying that I have never played a Thief game before, so this is an all new experience for me.

Regarding the gameplay, it has basically boiled down to sneaking around in the shadows, occasionally stealth killing people, picking locks, and stealing stuff. Aside from figuring out how to sneak past some of the guards (snuffing out a flame with a "water arrow" for example), there really hasn't been any puzzle solving so far. I'm very early in the game, so I'm hoping there is some additional variety/complexity later on. Your character is ill-equipped for hand to hand combat (and the controls for it are rather clunky), so the game definitely encourages you to do silent kills or avoid people all together.

On the technical side, it's nothing special. There are some high quality textures mixed in with some really blurry ones, so it can be jarring at times. The character models and animations are also rather stiff (nothing like the fluid, life-like characters from Ryse). The game is built on UE3 (not 4), and overall it feels more like a polished PS3/360 game than a "next gen" title.

The audio is generally good, with a solid musical score and some good surround effects. The voice acting is ok (not great).

Overall, the game has held my interest well enough to make me want to keep playing, which should be good enough to tide me over until Titanfall.

#10 ·
Have you gotten a sense of the AI in the game. I have avoided looking up reviews as they always seem to be all over the place especially for this type of game where gunplay is not the most important factor.

The controls worry me a bit. If you don't mine, give me an update a couple more hours in the game. I have some other games to keep me busy and even though like most, Titanfall will be taking a chunk of my time, I still will need a break from time to time

and was hoping this would fit the bill.

#11 ·
From my limited encounters with guards, the AI seems pretty basic. If they're looking right at you and you're in a lighted area, they will spot you. With their back turned, you're pretty much invisible to them. Once they spot you, they will look for you for a minute or so and then give up. Dead bodies in the middle of the street only seem to bother them for a brief moment.

I'll post another update after I'm further into the game. Should have some time to play it tomorrow.

#14 ·
Out of the box, the black crush on this game is pretty bad. However, I was able to tweak my TV settings to get rid of it.

I played it for a couple more hours last night, and I'm enjoying it. I'm finding that the game is very linear if you don't care about hunting down all the loot. As someone who isn't generally a fan of "open world" games, I don't mind it, but it could be a deterrent for some.

#15 ·
I had high hopes for this game but just can't pull the trigger. It seems like my kind of game but the price is holding me back. In other words, it one of those titles I don't mind waiting for down the line when it dips in price. Would be even better if they got it where I trade in my games and I can just pick it up with credit I all ready have. I usually do the side missions if I find a game interesting.

Looks like IGN needs to calibrate their system to each game because none of those comparisons looked that good. They must think it is a fair test if you use one setup for all of them. Or that is what it looks like to me. Maybe they did.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad  /t/1519615/thief#post_24417897

Microsoft still needs to do something about their contrast filter. There were parts in that video where detail was obviously lost.
When I look at these comparisons I can't help but think that they don't have their capture rig setup properly. I have an ISF calibrated TV and I do not experience the lack of shadow detail that shows up in these comparison videos. I loaded up AVS HD 709 after I installed the XB1 and although I don't have a meter to be certain, what I'm seeing output appears the same between the XB1 and my old HTPC. Perhaps the game output is incorrect but it seems rather suspicious. Overall I think the game looks pretty awful on every platform, even the PC. It's a definite pass for me.

#17 ·
I have been watching a few Twitch streams of Thief since I read its going on sale this Friday for $29.99. I really like the atmosphere of the city and it looks worth $30 to me.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJ.Cone  /t/1519615/thief#post_24534016

I have been watching a few Twitch streams of Thief since I read its going on sale this Friday for $29.99. I really like the atmosphere of the city and it looks worth $30 to me.

I haven't played this game (or anything else really) since Titanfall launched, but I'd say it's definitely worth a look at $30.

#19 ·

Quote:

Thanks for the heads up on this - for $30 I'll have to grab it. I've been on the fence about this, I have a ton of nostalgia for the original Thief on the PC, but for some reason wasn't sold on this version. For $30 I'll give it a shot!

-JR

#20 ·

Quote:

Time to buy for me also. I need a break from Titanfall and been waiting for this to drop.

#22 ·
Although I'm only just wrapping up the intro/prologue, so far I'm glad I bought this game for the sale price. I was a huge original PC Thief fan, and so far this one feels like it's trying to recreate the original game, but just missing the mark. I'm hoping that as I get deeper into the game it'll ramp up a notch.

#23 ·
I don't think I have went back and forth on a game so many times. Price is not usually the tipping point, but this time I decided to go with it. Will probably give it a try this evening and play the opening mission or 2. If I don't like it I am blaming everyone in this thread.

#25 ·
The disk version of Thief for Xbox One was on sale for $28 on Amazon a couple of weeks ago and I decided to give it a try. Having now beaten the game, I would give the experience a modest thumbs up.

On the plus side, the control, stealth mechanics and ambiance in the game are all great. There is a really strong gothic vibe to the city you explore and the various levels all have a creepy, atmospheric feel to them. In addition to the main questline there are also lots of sidequests that open up after a few missions and lots of options to upgrade your character. I really enjoy a game that lets me take my time, take things slowly, and encourages exploration and experimentation and Thief definitely delivers on all those qualities.

Graphically, the game really follows the middle of the road; it looks OK with some nice building designs but doesn't particularly scream next-gen in any particular way. I only experienced a few minor graphical glitches (mainly clipping) thru my playtime. The game also never crashed on my system.

In terms of negatives, my biggest gripes are that it is a chore to replay missions (desireable for getting 100% completion on each mission). Rather than simply letting you select completed missions from a menu, the game forces you to physically go to where the missions began in order to select them again. A fast travel mechanism for moving about the city would have been nice as well. Lastly, the ending of the main game was pretty disappointing and really didn't feel all that satisfying.

The game world stays open once you beat the main quest. There are also some challenge maps which I really haven't tried as I like to take my time with games like this and the challenges are more about going thru the levels as fast as you can.

Given what I paid, I feel like I got my money's worth and I'm glad I got to play it thru to the end.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.