Front height setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 05-03-2014, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I added front heights to my 5.2 setup ...so now 7.2.

Should I change the Xbox setttings to 7.1 uncompressed now instead of 5.1?

I've done that now my avr shows 7.1 input but 5.1 output. How can I get multichannel 7.1 output?

Onkyo TX nr809
Xbox one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-03-2014, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Well if its anything like my denon leave the Xbox to 5.1 because the heights are post processed and an option in the menu of the receiver.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 Old 05-03-2014, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

This is what I get ...I have the onkyo set to straight decode so its not applying anything but its taking 7.1 and outputting 5.1
post #4 of 11 Old 05-04-2014, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 49
That is exactly what you are getting. 7.1 (or .2) is not adding heights... it is adding additional rear channels. If you were outputting 7.1 to your heights, you would have rear surround information going to your front soundstage. Xbox already has a problem sending the correct surround information to the correct sound channels, you don't need additional issues.
For PLIIzx "Height", the Onkyo is modifying the 5.1 info and adding the phantom height info to the height channels. When you see "Multich" on the Onkyo, that is a straight decode of the information that the One is sending.

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #5 of 11 Old 05-04-2014, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Got it. thanks.

So what is preferred between front heights vs. rear surrounds?

And if i stick with front heights....what's the consensus between PLIIz vs DSX
post #6 of 11 Old 05-05-2014, 12:00 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The confusing part is there is more than one type of configuration for 7.1 (or .2 if the A/V processor supports additional subwoofers). The number only refers to how many speakers there are, not where they're placed.

Almost all source material is in stereo, 5.1 or 7.1 format. 5.1 is the front left, front right, center, side left, side right, and subwoofer speakers. 7.1 adds the right rear and left rear speakers. The side and rear speakers are your surround speakers. This is what is referred to when you see these numbers on the DVD or Blu-ray disks.

In addition to these configurations, you can add two front high speakers and/or two front wide speakers. This is called 7.1 (5.1 plus additional front speakers), 9.1 (5.1 or 7.1 plus additional front speakers) or 11.1, which incorporates all the configurations. The front channel content is usually derived from the source material using the audio processor formats like PLIIz, and Audyssey DSX. There is some source material in newer releases that directly supports those extra front channels using DTS Neo:X format.

There really is no "best", only what sounds good to you. It depends on your budget, the room size, the room acoustics, the quality of the speakers, how discerning your ear is, and how patient you are in setting this all up and testing out different configurations.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-05-2014, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisismyname123 View Post

Got it. thanks.

As balboa dave suggests...nobody can tell you what is your preference. That said, I run heights with traditional 5.1. I have the ability to run 7.1, but chose heights instead. I do not have the ability to run wides, as there is an opening to the room directly to the right of my mains. I have read many people absolutely love the wides added to their system. I use the heights for movies, (PLIIz) and leave it on Multich for games.

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #8 of 11 Old 05-05-2014, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Got it. thanks.

My personal opinion is that you will get more out of rear surrounds than you will height channels. I ran heights for about 9 months and really didn't notice much of a difference. I mean it's there but eh it's not worth it to me. I switched to rear surrounds and am much happier with the results.

If you do stick with heights though I'm not sure since I stuck with DSX and didn't really try PLIIz.

post #9 of 11 Old 05-05-2014, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

My personal opinion is that you will get more out of rear surrounds than you will height channels. I ran heights for about 9 months and really didn't notice much of a difference. I mean it's there but eh it's not worth it to me. I switched to rear surrounds and am much happier with the results.

If you do stick with heights though I'm not sure since I stuck with DSX and didn't really try PLIIz.

I was thinking about grabbing some small satellites and running the rear and the front heights together. I dont have anywhere to put front wides in my room....don't really have a place for rears but i'll give it a shot.

I was flipping back and forth between DSX and PLIIz and couldn't grasp much of a difference from the material i had running. I'll have to try some other stuff later.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-05-2014, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post

As balboa dave suggests...nobody can tell you what is your preference. That said, I run heights with traditional 5.1. I have the ability to run 7.1, but chose heights instead. I do not have the ability to run wides, as there is an opening to the room directly to the right of my mains. I have read many people absolutely love the wides added to their system. I use the heights for movies, (PLIIz) and leave it on Multich for games.

I totally agree with figuring out what I like best....but I was asking others what their preference is
post #11 of 11 Old 05-05-2014, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was thinking about grabbing some small satellites and running the rear and the front heights together. I dont have anywhere to put front wides in my room....don't really have a place for rears but i'll give it a shot.

I was flipping back and forth between DSX and PLIIz and couldn't grasp much of a difference from the material i had running. I'll have to try some other stuff later.

Yeah if I could run wides I'd try it. Like you I can't though but I can do rear surrounds which is why I did. If you have a high roof line id say heights would be worth it. If you do end up running both let me know what you think.

Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page