Forum Jump: 
 40Likes

post #1 of 152 Old 05-08-2014, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 593
I was surprised to not see a thread on this. Looks like a lot of fun! Love that massive explosion "BOOM" biggrin.gif

Gameplay:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XzF7l6Jddk&feature=youtu.be

edit:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/08/sunset-overdrive-open-world-adventures-in-the-awesomepocalypse?abthid=536b800b70fa794759000002

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/sunset_overdrive/b/xboxone/archive/2014/05/08/insomniac-s-colorful-open-world-theme-park-of-violence.aspx
Quote:
Sunset Overdrive
Insomniac’s Colorful, Open-World Theme Park Of Violence

sunsetoverdrive1-1055-610.jpg

Insomniac built a legacy on Spyro the Dragon’s colorful words, Ratchet & Clank’s creative weapons, and later on blasting aliens in the Resistance franchise. The studios latest IP, Sunset Overdrive, blends all these fun components into a big, beautiful open world. Insomniac recently invited me to its studio in Burbank, CA for an extended hands-on session with the third-person open-world title. My time grinding across the vivid environment and experimenting with goofy artillery like exploding teddy bears left me hopeful for Insomniac’s first foray into open-world game design.

Sunset Overdrive abandons the gritty, desperate tone of most post-apocalyptic games including Insomniac’s own Resistance series. Insomniac calls their catastrophe an “awesomepocalypse”, emphasizing the fun of free reign during end times. The protagonist is working a dead end job when a tragic energy drink launch party turns citizens into soda-infused mutants. With the city quarantined and the government abandoned, aesthetically customizable protagonists can run amuck blasting mutants and exploring the colorful world with the goal of eventual escape.

What makes Insomniac’s open-world game different from new-gen titles like Infamous Second Son and Watch Dogs lies in the tone and traversal elements. Sunset Overdrive includes snarky commentary on big businesses’ stranglehold on society complete with irreverent fourth wall-busting humor (Deadpool writer Gerry Duggen join’s Insomniac’s Jon Paquette on writing). Over Charge: Delirium XT soda is literally coursing through enemies’ veins, a poke at how deeply affected we are by the types of advertising plastered across Sunset City.

Speaking of the city, the most fun I had in my hands-on time stemmed from creatively traversing across the rooftops. Players can grind across rails, hook onto power lines with a crowbar, and bounce off car roofs and awnings to keep the momentum going. Chaining lofty jumps into grinds on high balconies is tricky at first, but things clicked once I tapped into my long-dormant Tony Hawk skills. Successfully linking together flashy, risky movement stunts together reminds me of the satisfying feeling that comes from nailing a tough trick in the classic skateboarding games. Series like Infamous and Crackdown elevated open-world traversal with empowering new abilities, but Sunset Overdrive adds finesse and skill to traversal in ways I haven’t seen in the genre.

Not only is expertly navigating the city fun, it’s integral to the gameplay. Linking together traversal techniques builds up your Style Meter. Touching the ground causes your level to gradually lower. Special weapon and ability augments, called Amps, activate as your Style Level increases. For example, some amps bestow your roll dodge with a force field, another sends out a shockwave when you hit the ground, and a very powerful amp has a chance of turning a regular bullet into a nuclear explosion. Unlocking these powerful augments requires players to skillfully blast enemies while zipping through the environment – a challenging and fun dynamic. New amps can be earned by completing missions and eventually crafted, though Insomniac isn’t offering specifics yet.

Experimenting with the quirky variety of weapons is also important for building your Style Meter. The standard AK-FU is a reliable all-purpose machine gun, but Insomniac’s tradition of unique weaponry continues here. TNTeddy turns stuffed bears into explosive grenade rounds. A harpoon causes mutants to ooze their soda blood, which lures groups of enemies attracted by the drink. One gun launches a drunken salvo of fireworks into the sky. Another rapidly launches vinyl records into enemies. This is just a taste of the weaponry available, but Insomniac says the overall selection will be on par with the biggest Ratchet & Clank arsenals. Similar to the Ratchet & Clank series, Insomniac says each weapon will also level up as you use them to encourage experimentation.

sunsetoverdrive2-a.jpg

A weapon wheel filled with powerful guns comes in handy when embarking on one of the various missions. One main story mission took us high above the city to destroy a massive communications antennae array. Destroying the complex structure causes the dishes to collapse into conveniently placed, bouncy platforms which can be used to access new heights. This sequence concludes with a face-off with a huge inflatable Over Charge mascot named Fizzie. The tremendous talking balloon launches missiles and other payloads while you dodge the volleys by grinding along rails and bouncing on radars. Chaining a few successive jumps across the radars sends out a stunning shockwave, leaving Fizzie vulnerable. The battle ends dramatically with flames pouring out of Fizzie eyes as he explodes. Along with main missions like this, side-missions like reclaiming comic books and smashing TVs are examples of fun distractions.

My hands-on time with Sunset Overdrive answered a lot of questions, but a few still remain. Insomniac says multiplayer will be integrated (hinted at in the trailer), but isn’t going into details regarding any cooperative or competitive modes. It’s also unclear exactly how large Sunset City will be, though Insomniac says several sections of the world will open up as you play. Finally, the open-world genre is oversaturated with scavenger hunts and time trials – boring pitfalls that Insomniac will need to avoid to entice players to explore its world.

Sunset Overdrive is a bold, gorgeous step in a new direction for Insomniac. Open-world games are leading the charge into the newest generation of consoles, and this Xbox One offering is among the most promising of the bunch. The colorful, goofy style gels well with the unique open-world layout, creating a promising combination of classic Insomniac sensibilities and modern game design. Xbox One owners only have to wait until this fall to check it out.

For more on Sunset Overdrive and Insomniac, read our interview with president and CEO Ted Price. Check out Sunset Overdrive gameplay in action here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 152 Old 05-08-2014, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 561
I just watched the gameplay, looks like Insomniac's take on Crackdown or infamous in many ways. Maybe toss in some Jet Set Radio... Hopefully it is better than their last batch of games.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #3 of 152 Old 05-08-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Official trailer is up, day one for me:
Weaselboy and freemeat like this.

XBOX Live ID: HONDEboyMAN
PSN ID: ahartig
post #4 of 152 Old 05-08-2014, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I just hope that the controls aren't overly complicated and that pulling off the jumps, grinds, and whatnot are easy to do and blend into the gameplay nicely.

Outtie

I don't have alot of posts since I joined AVS Forums in 2004. I mainly read the information in threads as a source of research material. - quoted from The Outcast in April 2007.
post #5 of 152 Old 05-08-2014, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Damn finally happy to see this trailer. Game looks fun.

The 5.0 is here
post #6 of 152 Old 05-08-2014, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I planned on going PlayStation again this gen but if games like this keep coming to the xbone I would consider getting one. Looks like a ton of fun.

PSN ID: javant86

post #7 of 152 Old 05-08-2014, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hopefully it turns out to be good. I need a reason to pick up an Xbox. Fanboys on both sides are already calling it a failure or a killer game after only a trailer. Insomniacs last game turned out to be pretty bad, so expectations should be probably be kept low.
post #8 of 152 Old 05-09-2014, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Have they released any possible specs yet?
post #9 of 152 Old 05-09-2014, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by SvtFoci View Post

Hopefully it turns out to be good. I need a reason to pick up an Xbox. Fanboys on both sides are already calling it a failure or a killer game after only a trailer. Insomniacs last game turned out to be pretty bad, so expectations should be probably be kept low.

The appeal to me is that it reminds me of Borderlands or Saint's Row in that it doesn't take itself seriously. I don't need a gripping story line, just something to have fun with when I'm finally able to set aside some time to play. Like The Outcast said I hope the controls/mechanics of the game work well. If it can pull that off I doubt it will be a bad game. Definitely with you on keeping expectations in check though.
ahartig likes this.

PSN ID: javant86

post #10 of 152 Old 05-09-2014, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Insomniac has made some great games and this looks to be up with their with their more creative games, very intrigued!
post #11 of 152 Old 05-09-2014, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Looks like it will be fun for those who like this type of game. For myself I don't think I can get into this. Not calling it wack or anything just isn't my type of game. I don't know, I haven't seen anything game wise except Titanfall on either console that really has me hyped to play. I'm enjoying Forza but love Titanfall but everything else is not doing it for me. And what I'm seeing upcoming for both consoles don't have me very excited to be honest. I'm guarded about Watchdogs, sports is dead to me on these consoles, zombie action is meh, a dude with a glowing hand no matter how nice the graphics are wont sell me into buying a console, a linear roman story no matter how nice the graphics are is not compelling me to shell out bucks for it. I'm not asking "where are the games?!?!?!" but just where are the games I like frown.gif

AT HAMMOND ROBOTICS WE'RE BRINGING THE FUTURE ... HOME
post #12 of 152 Old 05-09-2014, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalownership View Post

Looks like it will be fun for those who like this type of game. For myself I don't think I can get into this. Not calling it wack or anything just isn't my type of game. I don't know, I haven't seen anything game wise except Titanfall on either console that really has me hyped to play. I'm enjoying Forza but love Titanfall but everything else is not doing it for me. And what I'm seeing upcoming for both consoles don't have me very excited to be honest. I'm guarded about Watchdogs, sports is dead to me on these consoles, zombie action is meh, a dude with a glowing hand no matter how nice the graphics are wont sell me into buying a console, a linear roman story no matter how nice the graphics are is not compelling me to shell out bucks for it. I'm not asking "where are the games?!?!?!" but just where are the games I like frown.gif
I think sports games will continue to get better this gen. I also agree with you on this one. Not for me. Looks weird and in a way kiddy.
centking likes this.

PSN: Artman22
Xbox live: Artman22
post #13 of 152 Old 05-10-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Its way too early to tell, but I might be more apt to buy an Xbox One for this game rather than Titanfall.

PSN: UndeadREDD

My Racing Seat

post #14 of 152 Old 05-10-2014, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Mapstone View Post

Its way too early to tell, but I might be more apt to buy an Xbox One for this game rather than Titanfall.

for me quantum break is the big game i am waiting for.. i loved alan wake..
post #15 of 152 Old 05-10-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hopefully it is closer in quality to A crack in Time rather than Fuse... Insomniac has been all over the place these last few years.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #16 of 152 Old 05-10-2014, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman22 View Post

I think sports games will continue to get better this gen. I also agree with you on this one. Not for me. Looks weird and in a way kiddy.
I don't have any faith in sport games anymore. What they consider sim and what I consider sim are two different things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

for me quantum break is the big game i am waiting for.. i loved alan wake..
I did forget about Quantum Break when I posted above. I'm guardedly optimistic about that one. The mixing between live video , from what I understand, and the game itself is very interesting. I'm curious to see how it turns out.

AT HAMMOND ROBOTICS WE'RE BRINGING THE FUTURE ... HOME
post #17 of 152 Old 05-10-2014, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

I just watched the gameplay, looks like Insomniac's take on Crackdown or infamous in many ways. Maybe toss in some Jet Set Radio... Hopefully it is better than their last batch of games.

I also got a Jet Set Radio vibe with this game.

The game looks like it's going to be a lot of fun, and I think it's actually going to make it out this year, which is saying something, with games being delayed into 2015 left and right.

One concern that I have though, is that I don't think this game can singlehandedly carry the XB1 in the 4th quarter of this year. Quantum Break will likely not make a 2014 release, and I don't think the Halo 2 remake will be enough either. Hopefully MS has some big surprises in store for e3.
post #18 of 152 Old 05-11-2014, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Insomniac has been all over the place these last few years.

yeah, the Resistance series was awful. hopefully Sunset is closer to their older games.
post #19 of 152 Old 05-11-2014, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

yeah, the Resistance series was awful. hopefully Sunset is closer to their older games.

I liked the very first Resistance, and the first Ratchet and Clank on PS3. I think there was another Ratchet that was really good, but a couple of them sucked, and the other two Resistance games were pretty lame.
post #20 of 152 Old 05-11-2014, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

I liked the very first Resistance, and the first Ratchet and Clank on PS3. I think there was another Ratchet that was really good, but a couple of them sucked, and the other two Resistance games were pretty lame.

The two Future games were great. Tools of Destruction was solid and A crack in Time was amazing. Haven't played the two smaller main entries (Into the Nexus and the one right after ToD) the spin off titles sucked.

Resistance 1 was solid but nothing special, Resistance 2 had an interesting plot but average gameplay. Resistance 3... no.

Fuse was butchered when they changed it from colorful cast to bland shooter #361857.

Expect this game to target 30fps since Insomniac gave up on 60fps after Crack in Time.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #21 of 152 Old 05-12-2014, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 52
The 8 player co-op missions where great fun in Resistance 2.

I am optimistic that Insomniac will deliverer for xbox one owners. Though I liked most of there games, unlike some in this thread.

PSN: UndeadREDD

My Racing Seat

post #22 of 152 Old 05-15-2014, 12:18 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

The 8 player co-op missions where great fun in Resistance 2. .

This is what I want!!! I played so much 8 player Resistance co-op split screen with my wife, we've been looking for something similar ever since.
post #23 of 152 Old 05-15-2014, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 287
I finally got a chance to watch the video on Sunset Overdrive and it looks like a lot of fun. I'll keep an eye on this one moving forward for sure.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #24 of 152 Old 05-15-2014, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Honestly, I'd have to say that this is my most wanted game, of all the games confirmed for 2014 so far. I'm not counting things that I know have no shot at 2014 (Uncharted, Quantum Break, etc, etc). I have this higher on my wanted list than just about any other game I know is coming in 2014, that I've already seen in motion. (NBA 2K15 is coming of course, but haven't seen it yet) . Tons of games people think are coming aren't going to make it this year and will be delayed, leaving Sunset Overdrive as the Belle of the Ball.
post #25 of 152 Old 05-16-2014, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Definitely has a Jet Grind Radio vibe, which unfortunately means I'll never play it as I didn't care for that game. Looks cool but utterly pointless at the same time.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #26 of 152 Old 05-19-2014, 08:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 830
Is there an official release date yet? I just went to the web site and didn't see anything. Even Amazon, BestBuy, and Gamestop don't have release dates listed yet for their pre-orders of the game.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #27 of 152 Old 05-22-2014, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 464

The 5.0 is here
post #28 of 152 Old 05-30-2014, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Should get tons of game play footage from this event as they've dedicated 3 hours to Sunset Overdrive.

http://news.xbox.com/2014/05/xbox-heres-how-to-join-xbox-at-e3-2014
Quote:
Sunset Overdrive Event at Century City Microsoft Store hosted by Major Nelson (Wednesday, June 11 from 6 – 9pm)

Insomniac Games is taking the Sunset Overdrive E3 show floor experience outside of the LA Convention Center for one night only! Join us at the Century City Microsoft store to be among the first gamers to go hands on with this upcoming Xbox One exclusive. Attendees will also have the chance to meet the Insomniacs that make Sunset Overdrive and Xbox Live’s Major Nelson. Ice cold Overcharge Delirium XT awaits! (Yes, seriously)
post #29 of 152 Old 06-10-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 417
New Gameplay trailer.
freemeat likes this.
post #30 of 152 Old 07-02-2014, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member