Xbox One Auto Dimmer Control - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 05-12-2014, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Is there anyway to turn off the XB1 auto dimmer feature? I like to run a pixel flipper on via the XB1 bluray player but it auto dims after about ten minutes so essentially it defeats the purpose of the pixel flipper. The auto dimming feature works whether or not Kinect is turn on. I've searched through settings and have not found a viable option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-12-2014, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda1169 View Post

Is there anyway to turn off the XB1 auto dimmer feature? I like to run a pixel flipper on via the XB1 bluray player but it auto dims after about ten minutes so essentially it defeats the purpose of the pixel flipper. The auto dimming feature works whether or not Kinect is turn on. I've searched through settings and have not found a viable option.

What auto-dimmer? You sure it isn't a setting in your tv for that specific input? Like Dynamic contrast or motion lighting?

The 5.0 is here
post #3 of 14 Old 05-12-2014, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

What auto-dimmer? You sure it isn't a setting in your tv for that specific input? Like Dynamic contrast or motion lighting?

Thanks, of course this is one of the first things I considered, however panel is only a year old and I have run the Disney WoW pixel flipper from day one with no issues. In fact before the XB1 March update it worked great with the Xbox One as well. I'm sure the XB1 auto dimming is great feature for people who fear their console will accidentally be left on too long. In my case, I have a dedicated theater room with full control over who uses my panel, console, avr etc.

I didn't think there was an option for Auto Dimming control but I hope they add one. Currently I am just using an older Blu Ray player when I run the pixel flipper as that player does not time our or Auto Dim.
post #4 of 14 Old 05-12-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

If you leave your Xbox One on and don't touch it...eventually the Xbox darkens the screen a bit.
Cuda1169 likes this.

Mathematics is the reason for the season.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 14 Old 05-13-2014, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickff View Post

If you leave your Xbox One on and don't touch it...eventually the Xbox darkens the screen a bit.

Exactly which is a great feature for IR and burn-in prevention.
post #6 of 14 Old 05-14-2014, 05:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickff View Post

I dislike it when devices do that. I only use DLP and LCD sets so I don't have to worry about any burn in or image retention. I would rather the screen stay at normal brightness.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #7 of 14 Old 05-18-2014, 07:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It also saves power, since your set uses less power for the dimmed screen. If you care about that.
post #8 of 14 Old 05-19-2014, 07:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogbuehi View Post

It also saves power, since your set uses less power for the dimmed screen. If you care about that.

I do care about less power, but in the scope of things, 70 to 120 watts for the XBOne, up to 100 watts for the LCD, and 200+ watts for my DLP, the power savings are extremely minor when dimming the screen.

If I'm not using the XBOne long enough where I get to the point that the screen dims, I should just put it in standby and turn everything off if I really want to save some electricity.

post #9 of 14 Old 05-19-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Electricity is a bit more expensive here, so that extra 70-200W would be noticed.
post #10 of 14 Old 05-19-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Ppl who choose Plasma over LCD are choosing PQ over everything else. Dimming a screen not only prevents IR or burn-in for those ppl, but also reduces power usage on Plasma TVs significantly (they can easily reach 500 to 600 watts on full brightness). Just because you don't use Plasma TV, doesn't mean this feature is not useful but I do agree there should be an option to turn it off. I suspect MS (like many other big companies) simply don't want the liability that some idiots with a $10k TV get burn in when he disabled the auto dimming option that he has no clue about.
post #11 of 14 Old 05-19-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
So people that use plasma are power users looking to squeeze out every ounce of picture quality but are too dumb to figure out they might burn in their screens and there is a feature that might prevent it?
post #12 of 14 Old 05-19-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyM View Post

So people that use plasma are power users looking to squeeze out every ounce of picture quality but are too dumb to figure out they might burn in their screens and there is a feature that might prevent it?

yes, it is true biggrin.gif

Anyways, new LED LCD sets have better blacks and without the image retention problems based on this thread. I'm still keep my plasma but nice to see the tech continually improving and whenever it croaks I'll be able to have a better picture without image retention as well (My main gripe with my plasma).

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1532039/panasonic-beats-plasma-picture-quality-with-tc-ax800u-series
post #13 of 14 Old 05-19-2014, 05:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post

yes, it is true biggrin.gif

Anyways, new LED LCD sets have better blacks and without the image retention problems based on this thread. I'm still keep my plasma but nice to see the tech continually improving and whenever it croaks I'll be able to have a better picture without image retention as well (My main gripe with my plasma).

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1532039/panasonic-beats-plasma-picture-quality-with-tc-ax800u-series

Wow!! that thread exploded. I read the first page a few days ago but now it is many pages long.

post #14 of 14 Old 05-19-2014, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Glad to know when my Kuro Elites go belly up there's actually some good tech out there to replace them with.

AT HAMMOND ROBOTICS WE'RE BRINGING THE FUTURE ... HOME
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page