AVS Forum banner

Halo 5: Guardians

13K views 331 replies 64 participants last post by  sjchmura 
#1 · (Edited)
Quote: Halo 5: Guardians, the next major entry in the Halo franchise and the next chapter in Master Chief's journey, will be released on Xbox One in fall 2015, developer 343 Industries confirmed this week.

"In the tradition of every Halo game since its debut in 2001, it is a massive and exciting project," said 343 Industries general manager Bonnie Ross in an official announcement. "Halo 5: Guardians is a bigger effort than Halo 4. That applies to the content and scope of the game, as well as the technology in what's now a brand new and more powerful engine. Certainly there are some core elements carried over from prior games, but we've invested a huge effort in retooling our tech to take full advantage of the Xbox One's hardware and ecosystem to create worlds and experiences worthy of next-gen."

Ross said Halo 5 will "incorporate the things we learned from Halo 4 about technology, aesthetics, performance and scale — and perhaps more importantly, understanding and embracing a community of gamers who love what lies at the heart of this game, and the limitless potential of the Halo universe."

http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/16/5721032/halo-5-guardians-release-date-xbox-one

Halo Journey

http://news.xbox.com/2014/05/games-halo-journey-announcement

Release update 10/27/15

See less See more
#4 ·
This is the game that will sell the system IMO. I'll join the Xbox One fray in 2015 just to buy this game and pick up Halo 2 Anniversary on the cheap. By that time there will be a decent inventory of Xbox One games. And MS should be much farther down the promising path they are now on with Windows ecosystem integration. Plus Mass Effect and Half Life 3 will be hitting the market around the same time. Even though I will most likely buy those for PC. But this is great news on Halo. And I look forward to picking it up in 2015.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly  /t/1531981/halo-5-guardians#post_24724979

This is the game that will sell the system IMO. I'll join the Xbox One fray in 2015 just to buy this game and pick up Halo 2 Anniversary on the cheap. By that time there will be a decent inventory of Xbox One games. And MS should be much farther down the promising path they are now on with Windows ecosystem integration. Plus Mass Effect and Half Life 3 will be hitting the market around the same time. Even though I will most likely buy those for PC. But this is great news on Halo. And I look forward to picking it up in 2015.
Ah ****, now look I have to agree
Did I just feel the earth tilt a bit

Looking forward to a new Halo.......is it 2015 yet? Hoping we get a Halo 2 re-do, 343's first effort with Anniversary was excellent.

Reactions: barrelbelly
#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsaber  /t/1531981/halo-5-guardians#post_24724871

They must really have a lot of GREAT stuff to announce @ E3 if they are putting Halo 5 info out now.

They are trying to dribble out "good news" to combat bad sales numbers. It started with the $399 SKU, then the Netflix paywall change and now this. All three were bracketing NPD news. If things were going well they would save it all for E3.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable  /t/1531981/halo-5-guardians#post_24725450

They are trying to dribble out "good news" to combat bad sales numbers. It started with the $399 SKU, then the Netflix paywall change and now this. All three were bracketing NPD news. If things were going well they would save it all for E3.

Why would they put out all the good news now and then have a lackluster E3. That would be the dumbest thing they could do. Everyone knows that this E3 is huge for them.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctiq21  /t/1531981/halo-5-guardians#post_24725593

Why would they put out all the good news now and then have a lackluster E3. That would be the dumbest thing they could do. Everyone knows that this E3 is huge for them.
You have to excuse tgable, he/she has an agenda to trash MS any chance he/she gets.

#11 ·
That's a new Spartan on top and Chief on the bottom. I guess one of the 343 guys says you will play as both during Halo 5 on twitter.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner  /t/1531981/halo-5-guardians#post_24727195

That's a new Spartan on top and Chief on the bottom. I guess one of the 343 guys says you will play as both during Halo 5 on twitter.

Yeah...but remember how Cortana disappeared or transitioned to somewhere else in that same shimmering blue that's in the visor at the top? It would be cool if she could take physical form in the next one. Like Edi in Mass Effect. That top image is definitely feminine IMO. And a tease to boot.

#14 ·
They have already stated it isn't Cortsna & and not a female.

Halo franchise Senior PR Manager Rob Semsey denied on Twitter the possibility that the Spartan could be Cortana.

Franchise Development Director Frank O’Connor also added on NeoGAF that “it’s not Palmer and it is not a girl.”

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner  /t/1531981/halo-5-guardians#post_24725643

You have to excuse tgable, he/she has an agenda to trash MS any chance he/she gets.

Did I say something false are are you just going to sling mud because you have nothing of substance to say? They released the info early to change the conversation. It is Marketing 101.

#18 ·
Unfortunately the game is still a very long ways off. By the time Halo 5 is released I would expect them to have a new XBOne with a Die Shrink that uses less power. Since it will be around two years since the launch. Or at least a major price drop.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner  /t/1531981/halo-5-guardians#post_24727195

Really??? Like when you played as both the Master Chief and the Arbiter in Halo 3??? Sigh...if this is true I'm lowering my expectations for this campaign quite a bit. Unfortunate as good as Halo 4 was...hopefully the multiplayer will redefine the online FPS experience like Halo 2 did when it first hit Xbox Live.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyderulz  /t/1531981/halo-5-guardians#post_24740400

Really??? Like when you played as both the Master Chief and the Arbiter in Halo 3??? Sigh...if this is true I'm lowering my expectations for this campaign quite a bit. Unfortunate as good as Halo 4 was...hopefully the multiplayer will redefine the online FPS experience like Halo 2 did when it first hit Xbox Live.
Looks like I was wrong, this is his direct quote from twitter: "For everyone speculating about the mysterious Spartan in Halo 5: Guardians, he’s not Palmer (or Cortana!). He’s a NEW character.
”. So it may not be an actual playable character, but someone new to the storyline.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner  /t/1531981/halo-5-guardians#post_24740852

Looks like I was wrong, this is his direct quote from twitter: "For everyone speculating about the mysterious Spartan in Halo 5: Guardians, he’s not Palmer (or Cortana!). He’s a NEW character.
”. So it may not be an actual playable character, but someone new to the storyline.

For the record. I am really looking forward to release of this game. And if it's not playable on my Windows 8 PC. It will be a XB1 console seller for me. But It's interesting they clarified the new character is a "he". Because that image sure says "she". From the armorized thong depicted in the art, to the armorized bra...that image says "he" must have spent a lot of time in a "Brute" POW prison. MS may want to tidy the art up a bit on Halo 5 before this potential gender ambiguity issue goes much farther. They don't need an artistic distraction like this with a franchise as important as Halo.

#22 ·
Armorized thong and armorized Bra?
Was I looking at the same picture?

#23 ·
#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly  /t/1531981/halo-5-guardians#post_24741489

For the record. I am really looking forward to release of this game. And if it's not playable on my Windows 8 PC. It will be a XB1 console seller for me. But It's interesting they clarified the new character is a "he". Because that image sure says "she". From the armorized thong depicted in the art, to the armorized bra...that image says "he" must have spent a lot of time in a "Brute" POW prison. MS may want to tidy the art up a bit on Halo 5 before this potential gender ambiguity issue goes much farther. They don't need an artistic distraction like this with a franchise as important as Halo.
That could be the case. It could also be a woman and they are trying hard to not let that cat out of the bag so they can announce it at E3 or something.

#25 ·
Release date announced: 10-27-2015:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/30/halo-5-release-date-announced

In a new live-action Halo 5: Guardians TV ad airing during The Walking Dead tonight, Microsoft announced that Master Chief's first native Xbox One outing will release on October 27, 2015.

At the conclusion of the commercial, a still of which previously leaked, Agent Locke walks through a human city reduced to rubble, towards a statue of Master Chief. It appears that Locke is addressing the statue, but as he approaches, we see Master Chief, with a massive hole in the upper left shoulder of his armor, sitting wounded at the base of the statue. Locke angrily blames Chief for the destruction around them, saying he was humanity's savior and now betrayer. He switches to his pistol and the commercial ends as Locke draws on Chief, and then we see a Halo 5 logo screen and a release date: 10.27.15.

A second ad then aired one hour later, showing the same events from Master Chief's perspective with the roles reversed: Chief was walking towards a wounded Locke, asking him if "it was all worth it." The commercial ends with Chief drawing his weapon on Locke. Look for a full analysis of these two trailers in the IGN Rewind Theater very soon.
Halo 5 : Guardians - Hunt The Truth teaser

As many assumed Halo 5: Guardians would release in November, as most Halos have, this now leaves Microsoft without a confirmed first-party Xbox One release for November. Will Forza Motorsport 6 release in September, and does this mean that Rise of the Tomb Raider will be Microsoft's November game? Discuss in the comments below!

#26 ·
Thanks. I didn't realize there were two commercials. I stopped the TiVo and watched the first one, but when there was another Halo 5 commercial I scanned passed it thinking it was the same thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.