Wolfenstein: The New Order - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 36 Old 05-20-2014, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 274
I didn't see a thread for this, so figured I'd start one.

It's getting good reviews so far:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/wolfenstein-the-new-order

After reading some of the reviews, I'm shocked to learn there is no multiplayer. The last Wolfenstein I played was RTCW on PC many years ago, and I had a blast with the multiplayer in that game. I was looking forward to more of the same, but I guess they went in a different direction.

I can't justify $60 for a 10 hour campaign, so I think I'll wait for the inevitable price drop in a couple of months.

Has anybody played this yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 05-20-2014, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 321
I'm picking it up after work (PS4 version though). I can't wait to play it. From the Twitch streams I've watched, it looks like good, old-fashioned FPS fun. Anxious to see how it looks on both consoles as well. Hopefully they both look excellent.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #3 of 36 Old 05-20-2014, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post

I'm picking it up after work (PS4 version though). I can't wait to play it. From the Twitch streams I've watched, it looks like good, old-fashioned FPS fun. Anxious to see how it looks on both consoles as well. Hopefully they both look excellent.

They were targeting 1080p/60 on both consoles. I'm sure we'll get the eurogamer full analysis at some point to see if they met those goals.
post #4 of 36 Old 05-20-2014, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 76
I cannot imagine playing a shooter with a PS4 controller when I have the option of a One controller. I would expect something will be superior about the graphics on the PS4 version but the controller is how you interact with a game and that trumps all. Looks great from the reviews, I wish I had not allowed my backlog to grow! Regarding multiplayer... not every game needs it or should have it. Its better to spend the time and money on what the game does best and not tack on another mode. (Multiplayer or single player)
rdethloff likes this.

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #5 of 36 Old 05-20-2014, 04:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1663 Post(s)
Liked: 1012
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJ.Cone View Post

I cannot imagine playing a shooter with a PS4 controller when I have the option of a One controller. I would expect something will be superior about the graphics on the PS4 version but the controller is how you interact with a game and that trumps all. Looks great from the reviews, I wish I had not allowed my backlog to grow! Regarding multiplayer... not every game needs it or should have it. Its better to spend the time and money on what the game does best and not tack on another mode. (Multiplayer or single player)

I hated the PS3 controller because it really made my hands ache badly. But the PS4 controller works well for me and my hands. Once I got use to the left stick and D-pad placement it was actually fine. I still prefer the XBOne controllers. But I don't mind using the PS4 controllers either. Although I'm not a fan of that touchpad since I will accidentally press it.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #6 of 36 Old 05-21-2014, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaville View Post

They were targeting 1080p/60 on both consoles. I'm sure we'll get the eurogamer full analysis at some point to see if they met those goals.

I'm guessing if we haven't heard anything by now they are both running same resolution and frame rates. Otherwise, there would be mocking from the Sony side.
post #7 of 36 Old 05-21-2014, 05:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

I thought they already had comparisons? I know I read about it on one site. They also had a video of the PS4 and XBOne versions side by side. They looked pretty much the same.

LED DLP
post #8 of 36 Old 05-21-2014, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

That's the nice thing about having an engine that was built to scale like id Tech 5, which is what they used for Wolfenstein The New Order. Of the few comparisons I've seen, it seems the One has less anti-aliasing applied, resulting in more jagged edges than the PS4. But that's it. I'm sure there are minor differences here and there but I don't think you can go wrong with either version.

post #9 of 36 Old 05-21-2014, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Wolfenstein: The New Order PS4 vs Xbox One GIF/Screenshot Comparison Shows Sharper Xbox One Version

Wolfenstein: The New Order is finally available for North American and European players across current and next gen platforms. Bethesda has confirmed in the past that both versions run at a 1080p resolution and 60 frames per second.

Of course, it's never so simple. If you look closely, the Xbox One version seems to be slightly sharper [specially the weapons]

Read more at http://gamingbolt.com/wolfenstein-the-new-order-ps4-vs-xbox-one-gifscreenshot-comparison-shows-sharper-x1-version/comment-page-1
post #10 of 36 Old 05-21-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsimm2 View Post

Wolfenstein: The New Order PS4 vs Xbox One GIF/Screenshot Comparison Shows Sharper Xbox One Version

Wolfenstein: The New Order is finally available for North American and European players across current and next gen platforms. Bethesda has confirmed in the past that both versions run at a 1080p resolution and 60 frames per second.

Of course, it's never so simple. If you look closely, the Xbox One version seems to be slightly sharper [specially the weapons]

Read more at http://gamingbolt.com/wolfenstein-the-new-order-ps4-vs-xbox-one-gifscreenshot-comparison-shows-sharper-x1-version/comment-page-1

In other words they are essentially the same.

LED DLP
post #11 of 36 Old 05-21-2014, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsimm2 View Post

Considering the size of the pictures/gifs it's hard to tell anything in terms of sharpness and resolution. What is apparent is the difference in gamma between the two. The XBOX One looks contrast boosted compared to the PS4 version, but the PS4 version could be washed out. I'd be interested to see how each measures up to the PC version.

I wonder why websites will put up comparisons but use pictures and gifs that aren't even 720p?

post #12 of 36 Old 05-21-2014, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Did you get a chance to play it yet? Any first impressions you'd like to share? I remembered I have some Best Buy credits that are expiring soon, so I'm trying to convince myself to go ahead and get it.
post #13 of 36 Old 05-21-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 170
The thing that bothers me with this game is the movement. It has a very old school feel but the quick jerky movements feel awkward, it's like playing as a hummingbird.

I'm sure the movement is intentional to take us back to the feel of the original games but after years of more realism it only serves to pull me out of the game (atmosphere). redface.gif

Jason
post #14 of 36 Old 05-21-2014, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaville View Post

Did you get a chance to play it yet? Any first impressions you'd like to share? I remembered I have some Best Buy credits that are expiring soon, so I'm trying to convince myself to go ahead and get it.

I got a chance to play for a few hours last night and a couple this morning. Here's a quick overview (from the PS4 version as I stated before):

Story - Surprisingly involving. The first 15-20 minutes are kind of a drag, but then things pick up quickly.
Gameplay - The gunplay and combat are as polished as any shooter currently out there. No problem here with jerky movement here. Everything is silky smooth. Certain aspects are very antiquated (reliance on health packs, having to press a button to pick up ammo/armor/health packs). Those are my only real gripes about the gameplay. If you've played RAGE, Wolfenstein matches that in terms of it's fluidity and controls.
Graphics - Really nice and detailed, so long as you keep your distance from certain things. As with most id Tech 5 games I've played (even on PC), as soon as you get close to something, the textures just fall apart. I'm probably nit-picking here but I'd thought I'd mention it. During the heat of battle, it's not at all noticeable.
Sound - Great but I feel the guns could use a bit more oomph (another characteristic this game shares with RAGE). Overall the sound design and music are top notch, though I've noted a few "compression" related sounds during some of the music and sound effects (think low-bitrate MP3).

Is this worth $60? If you enjoy a single player experience with decent gunplay and gameplay length, I'd say so. If you have something else to play though, there's no reason to rush out and get this. Wait for a sale.

I meant to post an impression earlier, but I was too busy trying to find a Target that accepted game trade-in's (and that had their network up and running). Most of them were down but I got lucky and finally found one. Worth it as I walked away with $116 on a Target giftcard for trading in three PS4 games I paid $120 total for back in November.
tsaville likes this.

post #15 of 36 Old 05-21-2014, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I got a chance to play for a few hours last night and a couple this morning. Here's a quick overview (from the PS4 version as I stated before):

Story - Surprisingly involving. The first 15-20 minutes are kind of a drag, but then things pick up quickly.
Gameplay - The gunplay and combat are as polished as any shooter currently out there. No problem here with jerky movement here. Everything is silky smooth. Certain aspects are very antiquated (reliance on health packs, having to press a button to pick up ammo/armor/health packs). Those are my only real gripes about the gameplay. If you've played RAGE, Wolfenstein matches that in terms of it's fluidity and controls.
Graphics - Really nice and detailed, so long as you keep your distance from certain things. As with most id Tech 5 games I've played (even on PC), as soon as you get close to something, the textures just fall apart. I'm probably nit-picking here but I'd thought I'd mention it. During the heat of battle, it's not at all noticeable.
Sound - Great but I feel the guns could use a bit more oomph (another characteristic this game shares with RAGE). Overall the sound design and music are top notch, though I've noted a few "compression" related sounds during some of the music and sound effects (think low-bitrate MP3).

Is this worth $60? If you enjoy a single player experience with decent gunplay and gameplay length, I'd say so. If you have something else to play though, there's no reason to rush out and get this. Wait for a sale.

I meant to post an impression earlier, but I was too busy trying to find a Target that accepted game trade-in's (and that had their network up and running). Most of them were down but I got lucky and finally found one. Worth it as I walked away with $116 on a Target giftcard for trading in three PS4 games I paid $120 total for back in November.

Thanks for the detailed response. It sounds like a pretty good game, and I could probably use a good story-driven campaign after two straight months of Titanfall MP. I have $20 in Reward Zone certs, so I could get the game for $40.
post #16 of 36 Old 05-21-2014, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I had pre-ordered from Best Buy as they were giving $20 in RZ certificates if you pre-ordered and picked up within 7 days. Basically brings it down to $40 in the long run.

post #17 of 36 Old 05-21-2014, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Great Game !
post #18 of 36 Old 05-22-2014, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The tech analysis has come in. Looks like both are 1080p with a rock solid 60 FPS (no dips at all on either console). Pretty impressive stuff for a new developer!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-wolfenstein-new-order-performance-analysis
post #19 of 36 Old 05-22-2014, 01:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 170
^ Not shocking when the game does not really impress from a graphics standpoint.

I admit that I have not played the console versions but even on pc it's just not that impressive.

Jason
post #20 of 36 Old 05-24-2014, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 52
This game is a masterpiece - the concept - the writing and the gunplay ....

No fps boasts the smoothness of guns like Wolfenstein & the sound that goes with them.

A touch of the old school didn't hurt here either. ..

This is a must own
post #21 of 36 Old 05-24-2014, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

^ Not shocking when the game does not really impress from a graphics standpoint.

I admit that I have not played the console versions but even on pc it's just not that impressive.

Jason

It's using the old Rage engine, so anybody who saw Rage on the pc will not be impressed. Still an awesome game though, just wish the graphics were a tad more advanced.
post #22 of 36 Old 05-25-2014, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 41
This is one game for the "next-gen" console that has made me feel good about my console purchase. The graphics seem fine to me...I am too busy killing nazi's too care about textures. Fantastic and fun so far.

Gamertag: Quicksilver1663
PSN: ujustshaturpants
post #23 of 36 Old 05-26-2014, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 109
I bought Wolfenstein: New Order on Saturday and have been working my way thru the campaign. While I think the resolution of the graphics is fine, some of the environments are a little on the bland side and the selection of weapons could be a little more interesting.

In spite of those minor gripes, I'm having quite a bit of fun with the game because the levels have a lot of memorable setpieces to them - the varied locations like an underwater sub and a collapsing bridge make for some interesting and tense firefights and, unlike some other next-gen shooters, it holds your attention and makes you want to keep playing.

Xbox Live: XboxPhantom
PSN: TonyDP
post #24 of 36 Old 05-26-2014, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Yes I am really enjoying this game. Not the biggest graphics guy so that doesn't matter so much to me. I love the gun controls so far. Very glad I picked this up. MP games are fun but a great single player game I enjoy more.

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: TheRealMaxPower

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

Theater- Benq W1070    Elite 120" projection...

post #25 of 36 Old 05-29-2014, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I finished the game last night. Overall I enjoyed it but there were a few letdowns:

The last third of the game pretty much threw out any options for stealth and forced you to run and gun against an onslaught of overpowered enemies. I was really enjoying the more open-ended gameplay (by Id standards at least) earlier on and wished that freedom could have carried on for more of the game.

The boss encounters were, as with most games, somewhat disappointing as they just ground the story to a halt and forced you to go more into brute mode and just power your way thru them. The final boss encounter was particularly annoying.

The ending, as is the case with almost every Id game, was a bit of a letdown as it all ended abruptly and really didn't bring the story to any kind of a satisfying conclusion. Maybe some future DLC will tie up some of the loose ends.

Still,, I did have fun with the game and will hold onto it for a while longer to revisit some of the levels and encounters.

post #26 of 36 Old 05-29-2014, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Too bad about the stealth because I'm really liking the stealth in it. I think I'm halfway through, but so far its been awesome.
post #27 of 36 Old 05-30-2014, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Since it looks like Watch Dogs isn't my type of game, I decided to go ahead and download Wolfenstein last night. I played for an hour or so, and I'm enjoying it so far.

Aside from occasional texture streaming issues, I think the graphics look good. I'm not sure why some people are complaining about them. After playing TF for so long, it's nice to play a game that doesn't have screen tearing. biggrin.gif

The audio for the game is a mixed bag. There are some mixing issues where the sound effects completely drown out the voices (not all the time, but in certain scenes), and the guns sound more like cap guns than real guns. There are some good surround effects, however.

In terms of gameplay, I've found that running in with dual guns blazing has been the most effective for me. I've tried to be stealthy at times, but it seems like I usually get spotted. If anyone has any tips on avoiding detection, please let me know. It's also rather tedious to be constantly looking for ammo/health packs, but I knew that would be the case after reading the reviews.
post #28 of 36 Old 05-30-2014, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

There is an element of trial and error to playing stealthily but I find that crouching, moving slowly, using the map to get your bearings and looking from cover (use the left bumper to peek around corners, pillars and other objects) usually works pretty well.

post #29 of 36 Old 06-01-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Picked this up, finished it over the weekend. Didn't care for it that much. It got a little better when the laser gun got upgraded with a sight that if you use it locks on to all enemies and one trigger pulls kills them or have them all on mini-bosses and it vaporizes them with one trigger pull. The over use of stealth was getting to me until I got to the must kill everything near the end and I realized I think I preferred the stealth over that. I am glad I played it but also more glad I was able to get so much for it on the trade in so I really ended up not paying that much for the game.

post #30 of 36 Old 06-06-2014, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Anyone else have an issue with the collectibles not showing up in Chapter 14?

If I start the mission fresh, the collectibles are there...if I die or restart from a checkpoint, they are not. :-(

EDIT: Apparently, turning the Xbox One completely off and then back on fixed the issue.

Mathematics is the reason for the season.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page