AVS Forum banner

Ori and the Blind Forest

2K views 53 replies 17 participants last post by  hockeynut 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Day one buy for sure, barring any major last minute issues.
Looks as much or more than polished than the Raymond series of games which were must haves for X360, X1, WiiU, 3DS, iPAD, etc..

Could be wrong but I think this is a $15-20 game, and it would take a year+ before any thought of free for gold. Sold!

#6 ·
Day one buy for sure, barring any major last minute issues.
Looks as much or more than polished than the Raymond series of games which were must haves for X360, X1, WiiU, 3DS, iPAD, etc..

Could be wrong but I think this is a $15-20 game, and it would take a year+ before any thought of free for gold. Sold!
Agreed, Day One buy for me also! I really like the art style in this one.

$19.99, available 3/11

#5 ·
Looks great but won't sell well.

Indie games don't do as well on X1 as they do on that other console.

#10 ·
Yep, all reviews have been 8/10 or better. Only the chumps over at "Digital Chumps" gave it a 7/10.

As a guy who grew up on Metroidvania style games, I'm really looking forward to playing this one.

#20 ·
Holy Crap I did it! Loving this game!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pbh3Y--u_M
I bought this on Steam PC and have been playing with an xbox 360 controller. I got the powerup that lets you aim and propell Ori using enemy bullets. I can make it as far as the tree. But I do not have the skills needed to redirect a bullet up the right side of the ginso tree to blow up a wall. I can't do it. Game will not allow for a single mistake or aim.
Seeing your video just makes me cry Uncle for whats ahead.
I've played lots of games this generation and this one is by FAR the most difficult game out there currently.
I fear there will never be a sequel because it's too hard. I'm about to throw in the towel before I throw my controller.

#22 ·
Maybe it's because I'm also playing Hotline Miami 2 at the same time, but I don't find Ori to as difficult as people are saying. Yes, you'll die a ton (I think I'm at around 150 respawns and I'm at something like 62% through the game), but the respawn mechanic that it uses is really smart, so it's never all that frustrating. When you're immediately able to try again right from where you were, then it doesn't feel that bad.

And I mean, it's not like Super Meat Boy level platforming difficulty or anything.

#25 ·
How does this game sound?

I've found that the vast majority of downloadable indies have horrifically bad audio (high compression, low reference levels, 2.0 stereo with no surround or LFE, lossy audio codecs, etc.).

So how is Ori's audio quality? Does it use full 5.1 with noticeable LFE and surround activity? Can you make out fine audio details (i.e., like whispers, string instruments, wind blowing, etc.)? Does it use uncompressed PCM audio?

#28 ·
I have found the audio quality to be very good. I haven't played it in a day (back to work), but I'll give it a try and see what I can make out. I do know the music is excellent though.

#32 ·
I was stuck in a spot on Ori but just found out what I was doing wrong, looking forward to getting home and continuing this awesome game tonight. Haven't had this much fun with a DLC "indie" game since Shadow Complex.

Reactions: Arutha_conDoin
#39 ·
The amount of money developers are leaving on the table due to difficulty is probably astounding. I understand there is a place for difficult games but having HARD as your ONLY mode leaves out younger gamers and older gamers.

I watched my 21yr old nephew scream at Ori for a few hours. It made me decide to not even play it. (I had played the first 10 min at that point). I simply do not have the free time to dedicate to building the twitch skills up for this.

My 12yr old daughter tried his copy for about 30 min... she then had zero interest in me buying her a copy.

#36 ·
ok, I checked out some stats on this game on the game hub on the Xbox one. So far I have put in 7 hours and 57 minutes. I have respawned 357 times! I am 58% through the game. If I was counting Kills to minutes I am at 1 death for every 2 minutes! I'd take that any day

#37 ·
Anyone else lose their saved game progress recently? Was probably at close to 70% complete on Friday night, played the next day and my progress was near 40% and I was way back at an old save point.

Saw some other instances online of people complaining about this too (one guy was at 98% and went all the way back to 20% :eek:). I have instant-on enabled, and noticed that twice after playing Ori the next day the resume function wouldn't work...the Xbox actually was totally off and needed a complete cold-boot startup.

Not sure what is going on, but I will probably wait for a patch before playing again. At the very least, I would suggest making multiple copies to the extra saved game slots to be safe. Frustrating to say the least.

#40 ·
Sad to hear about the difficulty of this game. I was looking forward to checking it out. I have not been into many Xbox One games yet so I was hoping this would be the first exclusive that I really loved. But, I don't have the time to dedicate to dying over and over. I want to put in some time and then be rewarded after working on my skills. Just good balancing by the game designers. But some people love crushing difficulty and those guys are probably way better gamers than me! Plus I bet they don't they don't have as many demands on them such as work, family, church, kids, other hobbies.

But, I still see myself trying this one out. It just looks too good not to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.