Good receiver for Xbox One - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 06-19-2014, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Good receiver for Xbox One

I posted this in the AV Receiver forum but didn't get any response, so I thought it would be good to post it here. I think you kind of need to know the ins and outs (no pun intended) of the Xbox One to give advice:

I am looking to buy a receiver to use with an Xbox One. I have an old Xbox 360 as well that only supports component output that I would like to keep hooked up, preferably through my Xbox One so I can overlay its features (snapping, skype, etc). So I would like a receiver that can convert and upscale the component to HDMI. Other than that, my needs are pretty minimal. I think the main feature I need is good dynamic range control. I never turn up TV or music very loud, and I am always adjusting volume when watching movies to keep from getting to loud and to hear it when it gets too soft. This is even worst now with Blu-ray. The final feature would be usb and headphone jack someone on the unit to make headset hookup easy.

I also heard that the ARC feature on hdmi can be helpful when using an Xbox one to reduce lag, but I am still now sure how I will hook things up so not sure how important that is. It would be good to have some new features to future-proof it, but at this point I am more concerned about cost as long as it has the basic features I need.

Sorry, but I am a pretty new to this so not sure if I got all the terminology correct. I know there is an Xbox sub-forum but I figured it would be better to hear from the folks who best know about receivers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 06-19-2014, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 230
A couple of questions...

What's your budget?
What speakers are you hooking up to it (and how many)?
post #3 of 20 Old 06-20-2014, 01:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 643
It's best to have the device output go to the receiver, which decodes the audio and then sends the video to the TV. I know personally I've never had any lag issues. I've been connecting my game sytems and other devices this way since I got my first surround receiver in 1991.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #4 of 20 Old 06-22-2014, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I would look at Denon receivers with Audyssey Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume.
post #5 of 20 Old 06-22-2014, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

I am trying to stay under $300 or even $200 if possible. I don't really care if it is 5.1 or 7.1 because I am starting out with only 2 speakers. What I am noticing is that most of the receivers I am finding that upconvert the component/composite to hdmi are out of this price range. I have been looking at Yamaha. The RX-673 and up look nice. I am seeing some of the RX-673 used or refurbished within the budget, but now that I am looking there is feature creep and I am considering increasing my budget.

How does the Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume on Denon Receivers compare to Yamaha?

aaronwt, you say you have never experienced lag. Do you think this will be true regardless of receiver? Which one do you have? I have heard of people having problems with this when playing games.

Thanks everyone for your responses.
post #6 of 20 Old 06-22-2014, 04:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

If the TV has a game mode then make sure you use that while playing a game. It will decrease the amount of video processing.

LED DLP

post #7 of 20 Old 07-02-2014, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by avs_n00b View Post
I am trying to stay under $300 or even $200 if possible. I don't really care if it is 5.1 or 7.1 because I am starting out with only 2 speakers. What I am noticing is that most of the receivers I am finding that upconvert the component/composite to hdmi are out of this price range. I have been looking at Yamaha. The RX-673 and up look nice. I am seeing some of the RX-673 used or refurbished within the budget, but now that I am looking there is feature creep and I am considering increasing my budget.

How does the Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume on Denon Receivers compare to Yamaha?

aaronwt, you say you have never experienced lag. Do you think this will be true regardless of receiver? Which one do you have? I have heard of people having problems with this when playing games.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I've recently switched from Yamaha to Denon (x4000) and I have been very happy with the decision. Denon's take on Dynamic EQ / Volume seems more effective. Keep in mind that I went from an older (5 years) RXV to a brand new Denon x4000 so it should better.

Honestly, having owned both, you can't go wrong with either brand. Get the features you want, find the price you are looking for, get it.
post #8 of 20 Old 07-02-2014, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I have been extremely pleased with my XBOX ONE + H/K 1710. While the HK is not as flashy or feature rich as many of the others out there........I think its sound quality w/ my speakers is 2nd to none....I had tried a Denon x1000 but ended up liking the HK more even though the Denon had some nice features. Having 2 HDMI outs on the HK has actually been useful in integrating the XB1 into my system since I can setup up a separate HDMI input on my TV how I want for games (i.e game mode, turn off stuff, color) and still have primary HDMI input on TV setup how I want for movies.

I have had no issues using headphones with the HK. With nice headphones the sound is really good with H/Ks headphone mode or whatever they call it.
post #9 of 20 Old 07-11-2014, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Let me just say that not only does a display often have a "Game Mode" but so do receivers so make sure Game mode is turned on through the video chain for your Xbox input. Also your Xbox should be set to output at the native resolution of your display and your receiver should be set to the same or a pure passthrough if there's such an option. This will eliminate as much video processing as you can and this is the main source of lag.

Display:    Panasonic 65" VT60

AVR:        Marantz 6005

Speakers: Kef Q towers/rears Kef Reference center

HTPC:       Win 7 Pro with XBMC

Xbox Live: Arbitrage XXL

post #10 of 20 Old 07-13-2014, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
At Denon's website you can purcahse a refurb E400 for $279 with free shipping. I just purchased one although I am not home to test quality at this time, my wife sent me pictures and it looks brand new. Hope that helps?
post #11 of 20 Old 07-15-2014, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I would say that if you play multiplayer FPS where your connection counts and adding anything to the lag stack is detrimental, don't run the video through the receiver.

XBL-Steelhouse1

"No one wants to fight the naked guy."
post #12 of 20 Old 07-15-2014, 07:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubdenno View Post
I would say that if you play multiplayer FPS where your connection counts and adding anything to the lag stack is detrimental, don't run the video through the receiver.
No lag issues here with FPS multiplayer games. I run through a DVDO video processor(in game mode), through a Denon 4520 receiver, and then through a Darbee Darblet before going to my DLP display.

LED DLP

post #13 of 20 Old 07-16-2014, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Yes, please go anywhere that you can A/B compare a similarly priced Yamaha versus a Denon or Onkyo and I don't think you'll be walking away with the Yamaha.
post #14 of 20 Old 07-16-2014, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
No lag issues here with FPS multiplayer games. I run through a DVDO video processor(in game mode), through a Denon 4520 receiver, and then through a Darbee Darblet before going to my DLP display.

I would say you are lucky then. There is a noticeable difference in play for myself and wife going through receivers. Even in game mode. Had to even change displays for my wife due to the large amount of input lag from her TV. I would be interested in finding out what amount of lag is induced by your signal chain. You have a lot going on there.

XBL-Steelhouse1

"No one wants to fight the naked guy."
post #15 of 20 Old 07-16-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubdenno View Post
I would say you are lucky then. There is a noticeable difference in play for myself and wife going through receivers. Even in game mode. Had to even change displays for my wife due to the large amount of input lag from her TV. I would be interested in finding out what amount of lag is induced by your signal chain. You have a lot going on there.
I have no issues either in my secondary setup. The XBOne goes through a Sony 2.1 speaker bar and then through the Darbee Darblet before going to an LCD set.

My receivers in both setups are not doing any processing to the video signal.

LED DLP

post #16 of 20 Old 07-20-2014, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for everyone's replies. I ended up going with a Denon AVR-X2000. Accessories4Less has refurbished on right now for only $270, so I pulled the trigger finally. After seeing these comments and some other forums, it seems the consensus is the Denon sounds better and their dynamic range compression (Audyssey) is better than the competition, and this is really important for me. Hopefully lag won't be an issue. I passed up a really good deal on a H/K although a lesser model than RafaelSmith suggested, but I have also heard that they have excellent sound.
post #17 of 20 Old 07-20-2014, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I would keep dynamic volume OFF with your denon.

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV 
Denon AVR-2113CI
Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts)
Polk Monitor 50's (Rears)
Polk CS2 (Center)
Acoustech PL-200
post #18 of 20 Old 07-20-2014, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
I would keep dynamic volume OFF with your denon.
Why do you say leave OFF dynamic volume? That is one of the main reasons I went with this model. I can't make too much noise in the evening and without this I would miss half the voice tracks and have to depend on subtitles for the quiet parts.
post #19 of 20 Old 07-20-2014, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Why do you say leave OFF dynamic volume? That is one of the main reasons I went with this model. I can't make too much noise in the evening and without this I would miss half the voice tracks and have to depend on subtitles for the quiet parts.
In the case, leave it on at night. Daily TV viewing / gaming I leave it off. I don't want to boost or add effects to the sound. I want a natural sound, how it is suppose to be heard, hence I leave it off

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV 
Denon AVR-2113CI
Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts)
Polk Monitor 50's (Rears)
Polk CS2 (Center)
Acoustech PL-200
post #20 of 20 Old 07-22-2014, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
I posted this in the AV Receiver forum but didn't get any response, so I thought it would be good to post it here. I think you kind of need to know the ins and outs (no pun intended) of the Xbox One to give advice:

I am looking to buy a receiver to use with an Xbox One. I have an old Xbox 360 as well that only supports component output that I would like to keep hooked up, preferably through my Xbox One so I can overlay its features (snapping, skype, etc). So I would like a receiver that can convert and upscale the component to HDMI. Other than that, my needs are pretty minimal. I think the main feature I need is good dynamic range control. I never turn up TV or music very loud, and I am always adjusting volume when watching movies to keep from getting to loud and to hear it when it gets too soft. This is even worst now with Blu-ray. The final feature would be usb and headphone jack someone on the unit to make headset hookup easy.

I also heard that the ARC feature on hdmi can be helpful when using an Xbox one to reduce lag, but I am still now sure how I will hook things up so not sure how important that is. It would be good to have some new features to future-proof it, but at this point I am more concerned about cost as long as it has the basic features I need.

Sorry, but I am a pretty new to this so not sure if I got all the terminology correct. I know there is an Xbox sub-forum but I figured it would be better to hear from the folks who best know about receivers.
I got a 10 year old 5.1 receiver off ebay for $60 total. The important thing is that it's an Integra so it has the installer friendly IR input/outputs on the back which integrates nicely with the XB1 with it's rear IR output.

It's not HDMI, but I don't care, since I just hook up my XB1 direct to the TV and the Dish receiver plugs into the XB1. The receiver gets audio from the XB1 via TOSLink and I use DTS for everything.

Great setup. "Xbox On" turns it all on and it's all hidden away in a wiring closet.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page