AVS Forum banner

Xbox One ..Golf Club

4K views 47 replies 13 participants last post by  Myrtledog 
#1 ·
any word on a release date for this ? I'm sure I read spring, It's about the only game i'm looking forward to :(

#2 ·
Thanks for posting this. I am eagerly awaiting this one.

I remember seeing late Spring as well, now they are saying it is a Summer release. Well, it's Summer...

I can't wait to see the user created courses. There are some amazing course creation hobbyists out there from the old Tiger Woods PC days that are just foaming at the mouth for a game like this I'm sure. Who tries to sue who and if Sony and MS will allow it, when the real course replicas get released, should be very interesting. Maybe this is part of the hold up? Let's just go ahead and blame EA for anything that goes wrong. Might as well get that out of the way.

#3 ·
I currently have this game through "Steam" on my PC. It's still in beta testing on Steam, and I was able to purchase it for $29.99 as a early special. There hasn't been any update(s) since June, and we don't when there will be any more sent out. I see Kickstarter just signed-on Greg Norman to help in production of the game, so I'm sure that will delay things even more for a final release date. As far as the game goes, it's a pretty good simulation of golf, but still needs work in the putting area, as you're able to sink way too many putts. Balls always bounce real hard on all the greens, causing them to roll-out all the time, and many users have sent feedback about that. I use my xboxone controller to play, and the swing stick is very sensitive, just like playing the real thing. You have to be on to hit good shots. The way it should be! The game looks real good, and is shaping up. Guess we'll have to wait and see when they're done with it.

#4 ·
The Golf Club partnered with Greg Norman course design. The design co has said they will use the game to show prospective designs to customers.

The devs from the Golf Club have said the partnership will not delay the game at all. At this time, the game has been submitted to the consoles for certification. According to them it is now down to weeks instead of months. They are waiting for the certification process to complete before they announce the release date.

Due to the work on the consoles, there havent been any PC updates.

#6 ·
They just announced that user created courses will be accessible across all platforms.

http://thegolfclubgame.com/2014/07/21/golf-club-will-cross-platform-course-sharing/
And that will be a huge plus for this franchise! There will be more quality courses than you can choose from on release day because of this. There are already dozens of premium quality courses available on the PC version that will be instantly playable on XB1.

I'll be shocked if this game isn't on the market by August 10th. It was submitted to Microsoft for certification on July 11th. I was figuring maybe 3 to 4 weeks for certification.

I'm very curious to see the performance specs on the XB1 version. I'm hoping for 1080p @ 60 fps, but I'm thinking it will probably come in around 45 fps. Even at that, it will still be smooth and the interface should be lively. I know it feels like playing underwater on my lowly PC when I have the settings dialed up such that my frame rate drops below 30 fps. OTOH, it's quite playable between 30 and 35 fps.

Reactions: Jayadub
#7 ·
From the Golf Club devs:

Hi everyone,

While we don't have an official release date yet, we have narrowed it down to a likely two week period.

It is looking like The Golf Club will be released and Xbox One, Playstation 4, and PC the week of August 25th! There is a small possibility that the game will be released the week of August 18th, if Microsoft and Sony are able to push it through but, the more likely scenario is the week of the 25th.

Please understand that this is all predicated on the notion that the second submission goes smoothly, but we are confident that the game is in good shape. That being said, there is a possibility that things could change...though we all hope not!

As soon as we have anything more definitive, we will absolutely let you know.

#10 ·
Golf SIM fans are almost worse than SIM racing fans (PC elitists) so no room for error.
Rightfully so. a lot of guys drop a ton of bread into the immersion factor with sim racing (steering wheels, special seats (or known as racing rigs), triple screen setups, GPU to support those screens. etc.) I wouldn't want to drop that cash only to play a game that runs like Ridge Racer.

#15 ·
More great news today....only a week to go!

Canadian video game developer HB Studios has unveiled that its golf simulation, The Golf Club, will launch on Xbox One through Xbox Live on August 19, 2014 The Golf Club for Windows PC will also arrive on Steam onthe same day.

The PlayStation 4 version will launch later this month pending certification approval.

The Golf Club is a highly realistic game that allows playersto fully customize their golfing experience by creating and playing the course of their dreams with the built-in Greg Norman Course Designer.

http://thegolfclubgame.com/

#16 ·
We have a price as well...only $35.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...golf-club-gets-release-date-for-xbox-one.aspx

Summer is more than halfway over, but it's not too late to enjoy some golf. HB Studios has announced a release date for The Golf Club, giving you the opportunity to spend some time on a nearly unlimited amount of courses.

The game comes out first on Xbox One August 19 – yep, that's next week. On that day the title will also leave the Steam Early Access program and go into full release.

The PS4 version of the title is scheduled for later in August pending certification approval from Sony.

No matter which platform you play on, the game costs $34.99 (unless you're in the Early Access program).

The Golf Club features an extensive course creator allowing you to share your creations with the world (as well as play other people's concoctions), and has been endorsed by golf legend Greg Norman and his course design company. Check out this trailer of some of the possibilities, as well as our hands-on impressions.

#17 ·
I'm reading a few early impressions from a couple of reviewers who got final game code Thursday night. So far the only real complaint out of the box is there is some screen tearing in evidence. One reviewer found that HBS included the ability to enable v-synch in the options menu, and it apparently locks the animation frame rate to 30 fps but also gets rid of the screen tearing.. Here's his comment on it after enabling it:

"Turning on the V-Sync did make a world of difference as it relates to the screen tearing I was noticing. I played three rounds with it on and didn't notice any screen tearing at all and I couldn't tell any difference as far as framerate. It was still smooth and, really, that's all that matters to me."

Sounds to me like they should have made the game default to this setting. I wonder how many XB1 gamers are going to be up in arms over this on release day, not realizing there's an option to change to get rid of it, or see the v-sync enable option and not realize what it does? This isn't a common option on console games.

Anyway, it would seem to me that HBS left the v-sync off by default so the claim could be made that it runs between 30 and 45 fps. In reality I don't think that's going to be all that noticeable in The Golf Club, since it had a control input thread that's locked at 60 fps.

I'm wondering if if the PS4 version will display this same screen tearing tendency at 1080p? HBS claims an animation frame rate of 30 - 40 fps for it, so it's v-sync would be disabled by default also. It will be interesting to see how this goes.

#19 ·
Yeah, I read that... I just hope this doesn't give the game a black eye from the start though. I know they have a number of things already in mind for their first patch and this one will be an easy fix, but one that needs to happen ASAP.

#23 ·
Yes, I've heard that also. This situation is a bit different the way I understand it. The developer says that the control input thread is "locked" at 60 fps for The Golf Club, in both the XB1 and PS4 versions. They're taking advantage of a feature that both consoles have for separate display graphics and control input frame rates. Apparently, a lockable control input frame rate is not possible on PC's? I'm asking because I'm unsure.

#25 · (Edited)
I am really enjoying this game so far but I will say that the graphics, especially without v-sync enabled (night and day difference; thanks for the tip) are disappointing.

There are some very obvious audio and video bugs. Unfortunately, load times & freezing in the menus are a problem as well. Rebooting your X1 after install helps some.

All of that being said, after playing 5 or 6 rounds of golf, and after building and publishing a course, I am quite hooked on this game. I "designed" some golf holes populated by a small army of alligators and others by grizzly bears, another one was a Stonehenge theme. Good times!!!

I can't wait to see all of the crazy and life-like replicas of courses that people come up with; cross-platform no less! The capability is certainly there.

As far as the core golf game, it's very refreshing to have a true SIM like this with no gimmicks and the controls are almost perfect.

This is not a casual pick up and play golf game. Its very demanding - just like the real thing. Just be sure to have a cooler full of ice cold adult beverages on board your golf cart and it's all good, again, just like the real thing. :)

#29 ·
I've played the PC version since the closed beta, so the mechanics of the game are not new to me today.

The first item on my checklist was to see how the 720p resolution was going to compare to the 900p and 1080p resolutions I've been using on the PC version. I was really concerned about how it was going to look on my 55" Toshiba LCD HDTV. I wasn't really sure what to expect, but I wasn't expecting something that looks as blurry and lacking in detail as what I'm seeing. I was hoping for some help with the XB1's ability to use antialiasing, but I'm seeing no evidence of it in my brief run. The green grid lines are alarmingly stepped looking. The shaft of the golf club shows a good bit of jagginess as well. OTOH, the golfer looks pretty well resolved, although there's some obvious "stair-stepping" on the arms. The trees in the distance look a bit like quivering, amorphous blobs in high wind (I was seeing 8 to 10 mph winds at Autumn Ridge G.C.).

The nearby textures looked pretty authentic and the water almost seems to gain a level of realism in the loss of resolution, as they don't look as falsely reflective as they do in the PC version at higher resolutions, AA and AF settings, so a plus there. Overall though, what I've seen so far with this loss of resolution has just strengthened my decision to buy a PS4. I now know for a fact that "resolution-gate" just isn't a figment of my imagination. Since it doesn't appear that the XB1 version of The Golf Club is using any AA (or enough to make a real difference), the 720p resolution's shortcomings give this game a bit of a 'last-gen' appearance on my screen

If a game is not going to be using high levels of antialiasing, it would behoove it to be displayed in a higher resolution. In my experience, a non antialiased game at 1080p still looks sharper than a 720p game at 4x msaa. However, I just did an A/B comparison on the same TV between the XB1 version of TGC and the PC version set to 720p/high graphics detail (which is what the XB1 version is equvalent to), 4x msaa, and 8x AF. Both games were displaying the golfer on the first tee at my favorite course - Autumn Ridge G.C. The PC version looked significantly better with its cleaner lines, thanks to the 4x msaa.

The next item on my checklist was the feel of the swing interface. The XB1 version does feel slightly more fluid and consistent than the PC version, or at least, the way the PC version runs on my system at comparable resolutions and graphics settings. I can adjust my resolution and graphics setting down enough on the PC to make the swing look more fluid (thanks to 50 to 60 fps) and feel as fluid. When I do that, the net effect is the PC version is made to feel more responsive because the animation is doing a better job of reflecting you movement with the input stick. Still, if the PC version is running at 30 fps; it will not feel as lively as the XB1 version, with Vsync enabled. I can tell that the game is responding more proportionally with my stick movements thanks to the 60 fps control thread.

The overall gameplay feels pretty good though. HOGZTheTruth joined my in simultaneous play for my first round at Autumn Ridge G.C. and it went pretty good. I didn't have my headset on at this hour to startle family members, but it still felt pretty "live". I can't say that I wouldn't enjoy this game on the XB1 because of its muted video resolution, but I'm reasonably confident I will be more satisfied with the PS4 version in a week or so, if it delivers at least the same gameplay experience at 1080p. I now wholeheartedly believe that The Golf Club deserves a 1080p canvas!

#30 ·
HB Studios has announced the items to be addressed in the forthcoming patch (about two weeks out now) for the XB1 version of the game. Hopefully, these graphics enhancements will also include some much needed performance improvements. I've got too many quality courses on my "do not play" list due to unplayable frame rates. Here's the list:

Relative to locally occurring issues, let's start with the Xbox One.

The first thing you should know is that we have already been working on the first patch for the Xbox One to fix errors and improve graphics, and we are hoping to have out in the next few weeks (it must go through the Microsoft certification process). In the meantime, there are things you can do to improve your experience right now:

The first is to perform a hard reset of your Xbox One if you are experiencing any of the following issues: not being able to save your courses in the Greg Norman Course Designer, graphical glitches, audio popping, connection issues, crashes, or any other issues you may be having. To perform a hard reset, turn off the console, unplug it for 15 seconds, then plug-in a restart the console. It is as easy as that. Furthermore, we recommend that you do not leave your console in standby mode, as this has caused issues for some users, and can necessitate a hard reset.

Also, if you haven't done so already, turning V-sync on in the Display menu, under Settings, will also improve graphical fidelity.

Now to the specifics for the Xbox One:

Some Achievements Not Unlocking:
We are investigating this issue and should have it resolved with the first patch, or before.

Can't Save Courses in the Greg Norman Course Desgner on the Xbox One:
We are still investigating this and believe it to be a server issue. Hard reset has been know to work for some users.

Terrain Sculpting Block Column:
This is likely a local issue and will be fixed in the first patch.

Missing Courses on the Xbox One:
This seems to be related to a memory leak. A hard reset should get all the courses back
We will have a permanent fix in the first patch

V-Sync Resets Every Time The Game is Closed:
It actually doesn't, the graphic for the button is bugged to look like it does. This will be fixed in the first patch.

Audio Popping:
This will be fixed with the first patch.

HB Studios has also said that their goal now is to get the XB1 version up to 900p, which I think would be a huge step up, as long as the frame rates stay above 30 fps.

#32 ·
Unfortunately there is a glitch sometimes when playing cross platform courses. For people playing on PS4 and PC, it has happened to the last 2 courses I have made Hopefully this will be fixed in the upcoming patch. If you are on XB1, they should be fine.

My created course list, in order of when they were published:

Croasdaile Country Club - My home course here in NC.
HH National Club - Alpine setting, very tree lined course with alot of elevation changes.
Hunter's Marsh - Rural setting that starts in the marshes, climbs into the hills for a few holes and then finishes back down into the marshes.
Royal Carolina Golf Links - Links theme with slow and fair greens. There are some elevation changes as the course plays it's way through the dunes. Water comes into play on a few holes.

#33 ·
The long awaited patch for the XB1 version of The Golf Club will hit tomorrow night (Thursday, October 10th) at ~8:00 PM EDT. It's supposed to fix a lot things that are currently broken in this game and improve the performance by instituting enhancements to improve framerates. There's also said to be some 'graphics fidelity improvements', but no word as to what they are or how they're being achieved.

I've knock the cobwebs off my XB1 version and give it a go after I get home from work Friday morning. I'm expecting to be pleasantly surprised at how much this will improve gameplay. The XB1 version in its current state spends way too much time in the lower 20's and even the upper teens in frame rates.

But the even bigger news for the future of the XB1 version of this game comes on the heels of yesterday's PC version update... the same update that the XB1 version will get about two weeks after this patch, at the latest. The PC update released yesterday has three new swing camera options. I love option 3 for all cameras and putt soooooo much better from that perspective. This will help me out tremendously on the XB1 both with performance and aesthetic pleasure. I'm anxious to spend some quality time with this update installed to see all the more subtle things I haven't had time to digest just yet.

The best news of all, IMO, is the ability to transition between the golfer perspective camera and follow camera at your discretion now. It is (at least for me) a revolutionary step for The Golf Club. I got to see it in action for the first time this morning and it is a pure, visceral eyegasm! I missed seeing how to make it happen at first. If you've got your settings using Golfer cam, you have to press the "A" button (if you're using an XBox controller as I am on the PC) to tell the game when to transition from golfer to follow camera. It works beautifully and transforms the game into the player perspective/in-the-moment experience I've been after!

Reactions: tampabuc
#34 · (Edited)
The Golf Club Update #1 is out and it's a gamechanger!

The XB1 version looks and plays sooooooo much better with this update. The disabling of the Depth of Field works wonders at 720p, in both appearance (the false blurriness we saw post patch is 80% better) and performance. There were probably performance gains elsewhere through other means, but I'd bet we're get two frames per second, on average, with DOF off.

Folks, your first order of businesss should be to go into the Graphics menu, and set Follow Camera to "OFF". Then set your main swing camera to either view 1 or view 3 (I go with 3 because it's a little more intimate with the golfer, plus it gives you a better look at the hole, line, and your putterhead position while putting). And remember when you're playing the game... hit the "A" button to engage your follow camera at your choosing. I swear man... it is pure gaming bliss to have this option! ;D

Oh, I also turned off the aiming reticule and the ball trail. The way they've enhanced the definition of the ball in the PC version, I find that I don't need the ball trail to follow it most of the time.

#35 ·
Note regarding Depth of Field in both the XB1 and PS4 versions: There is a bug in the menu for the DOF setting. It will change itself to "ON", after a round or a restart, even though it shows that it's still OFF in the menu. You have to click on "OFF" again, to actually turn it off. This might be why some of you are not seeing the benefit of it being OFF, it's showing that it's OFF, but it isn't really off.

I'm hoping HBS can apply a hot fix to repair this. Meanwhile, just remember to turn it off via the in-game settings menu every time you start a new round.

#36 ·
2015 Masters Tournament @ theclv24's Magnolia National

I wanted to alert everyone to a wonderful new course that has been unleashed in The Golf Club today. Theclv24 has created what I think might be the best recreation of Augusta National (He calls it Magnolia National so HB Studios can list it among their Suggested Courses without fear of reprisal from AN). It will test your nerves, but it captures the Augusta National experience very well. He used the Boreal theme, but was able to get some of the Countryside theme flowers in there to take the place of azaleas.

Theclv24 created a "Tour" using the Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday versions of Magnolia National on the PC and the PS4. I created one using the same format and settings for the XB1. The Tour name (and make sure you search for it under "Tours") is 2015 Masters Tournament. Be prepared to be astounded... it is an incredible course!

Remember, this is - in essence - a 72 hole Tournament, but because The Golf Club isn't equipped to have multiple pin settings for a course, the creator had to name the course a different name for each pin setting and the only way to use multiple "courses" is to create a tour.

#37 ·
There is a new game update just came out for The Golf Club. There is a new theme called Harvest, which is sort of a re-vamped Autumn theme. In the course designer, there are lots of new toys like retaining walls, brick walls, fences, stairs and some cool new brushes that will create some really funky bunkers.

#38 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.