AVS Forum banner

Youtube at 60 fps, will you go back to 720p60 recording?

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  assm0de 
#1 ·
Youtube is not quite at 60 fps playback yet (at least universally). But I was wondering about whether it'd be better to record at 720p to get the 60 fps than recording at 1080p30.

None of the cheap recorders out there can do 1080p60.

I think I like seeing the higher framerate than the higher resolution (besides, Youtube compresses the crap out of 1080p gaming video anyway).

I think this might be the lull before the new generation of recorders. Like when everyone recorded 360 videos at 480P and then the new recorders came out which made the old videos look bad.

#2 ·
I think when the bitrate falls below a certain point, it doesn't matter what framerate or resolution you're at. Low bitrate can destroy images faster than anything. For this reason, I would never, ever look to YouTube as an example of high quality video.

Netflix and Amazon have announced plans to improve bitrates depending on the user's available bandwidth, but there's a lot of potential issues in place (particularly due to Net Neutrality issues). My gut feeling is that it's going to be a long time before we see streaming bitrates even remotely close to that of Blu-ray -- say, 36+mbps.

#3 ·
It seems to me there's two things going on here. Frame rate and bit rate. I think it's possible to have a higher frame rate without having to increase the bit rate, but to do so would impact the quality of the image itself in terms of detail and increase digital artifacts. In most cases, frame rates of 24fps is standard for most movies and of course movie trailers and 30fps is standard for most if not all video productions for NTSC or HDTV. There is however video shot at 24fps for more of a cinematic look.

Now about 60fps. My HDTV and computer monitor both support that frame rate. And, the only source I know that can create 60fps is consumer video equipment. I'm sure there's pro equipment that can record at 60fps, though I believe that frame rate is more appropriate for amateur home video more than anything else.

I think it would be nice if YouTube supported the higher frame rate for video crated at 60fps. However, I believe if they were to do so; it would be at the cost of image quality. Even so, I think in many cases the higher frame rate would look good enough depending on the subject matter.

One example would be pinball. Where everything in the cabinet is still and the only thing moving are flashing lights, flippers and a fast moving ball. In that case, I think it would work out rather well.

#5 ·
Well, Youtube already announced that they're going to allow 60 fps video.

So my internal debate is whether to go back to 720p video recording since all cheap recorders (including my Hauppauge HD PVR 2) only can do 60 fps recording at 720p and not at 1080p.

When Youtube only allowed 30 fps video, it was an easy choice to record at 1080p30 since that was Youtube's limit anyway. But now that they're going to allow 60 fps, it opens up the debate of 1080p versus 720p.

#6 ·
Well, Youtube already announced that they're going to allow 60 fps video.

So my internal debate is whether to go back to 720p video recording since all cheap recorders (including my Hauppauge HD PVR 2) only can do 60 fps recording at 720p and not at 1080p.

When Youtube only allowed 30 fps video, it was an easy choice to record at 1080p30 since that was Youtube's limit anyway. But now that they're going to allow 60 fps, it opens up the debate of 1080p versus 720p.

In your case, the choice seems really simple to continue recording 1080p at 30fps since 30fps handles fast action pretty good. However, if your still not sure; record a clip of you doing something once at 720p 60fps and again doing the same thing at 1080p 30fps and look it over closely on a very capable playback device to see what looks better to you.

#7 ·
I'd actually be happy with a smooth 30fps, as the flash plugin that youtube uses cannot achieve anywhere near that. With SmoothVideo Project or WDTV live its perfectly smooth. Those 60fps webm's don't seem to have (m)any dropped frames, further proving how ridiculous flash player is with its stutter-vision. The HTML5 player is no better either, I wonder what the problem is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.