Madden 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #1 of 67 Old 08-07-2014, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Madden 15

Obviously a lot of this is just the yearly hype train and probably won't live up to everything, but I'm actually optimistic about a lot of the changes I'm reading about this year's Madden.

The defensive camera and new mechanics for pass rush alone should make a huge improvement.

What I'm personally most excited about though is that they're tweaking Connected Franchise, making statements like:
Quote:
Game Prep is not designed to be a grind. If players choose to ignore Game Prep on any given week, we’ll use the same logic that CPU teams use to automatically reward a player with XP or Confidence. It’s up to you when you want to jump in and control how players are developing.
I hate the switch to an XP based system for progression, but it sounds a lot like they're tweaking this in the right direction.

Anyway, there's a bunch of articles they've posted about the game's new features: http://www.easports.com/madden-nfl/n...dates-gameplay

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 Old 08-07-2014, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
Obviously a lot of this is just the yearly hype train and probably won't live up to everything, but I'm actually optimistic about a lot of the changes I'm reading about this year's Madden.

The defensive camera and new mechanics for pass rush alone should make a huge improvement.

What I'm personally most excited about though is that they're tweaking Connected Franchise, making statements like:

I hate the switch to an XP based system for progression, but it sounds a lot like they're tweaking this in the right direction.

Anyway, there's a bunch of articles they've posted about the game's new features: http://www.easports.com/madden-nfl/n...dates-gameplay
CFM Twitch stream at 5pm et http://www.twitch.tv/easports
post #3 of 67 Old 08-08-2014, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm thinking this is going to be the one game I keep getting on disc (until it hits EA Access):

Basically I'd get Madden 15 for $25 (And that's if I don't sign up for Best Buy's rewards thing). And since Madden 25 is on EA Access anyway, if I wanted to play it for any reason, I still have it.
tampabuc likes this.

post #4 of 67 Old 08-08-2014, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Thanks man. Another reason that this gen and its users should not think digital only...

Only $25 here, $40 there, or ALWAYS pay $60 for EVERY single game with ZERO resale or sharing opportunities.

Makes no sense to me but I'm old, I'm in my 30's.
post #5 of 67 Old 08-08-2014, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, most of the time I greatly prefer the convenience of digital even if it means a little more money, but a yearly sports game like this is something entirely different, I think. I almost never sell games back so that isn't a factor. Though again, Madden is generally the exception to that.

post #6 of 67 Old 08-08-2014, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Try transporting disks from the downstairs to upstairs X1's like I do on a regular basis. Its somewhat of a hassle but at a minimum of $20 savings per game, plus resell value later (sooner rather than later normally), it is more than worth it to me.

I can't imagine having only one X1 and changing out disks to be a problem but I do love the convenience of digital.
post #7 of 67 Old 08-19-2014, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 212
I will be dragged kicking and screaming into the digital era.

It baffles me how so many are willing to give away all their consumer rights just for the sake of convenience. As long as I can get the physical disk, I will continue to do so, because with a physical disk, I actually have ownership (yeah, yeah, I know it's only a license blah, blah, blah).

You can say whatever you want about the legality of it all, but I know that I can take my physical disk and put it on Ebay. Or sell it locally on Craigslist. Or give it to a younger brother. Let my nephew borrow it, etc, etc. If there is ever a time, where you actually have all those rights with digital games, then I'll be all aboard. Either that, or each game should cost about 5 bucks. I've bought about 30 different PC games over the last 4 years for 6 bucks or less on various steam sales. Sure, I don't own those games either, it's more of a long term lease, but I only paid 5 or 6 bucks, which is like a rental fee, so I'm cool with it. Either give me full ownership rights, or price it so damn cheaply that I don't even care if I actually own it or not.
centking likes this.
post #8 of 67 Old 08-19-2014, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Madden 15

Looks like madden received a nice graphical upgrade, but the gameplay doesn't look much improved from the videos I've seen so far. Still zero penalties being called and animations still look stiff. This is what happens when there's no competition. The sad thing is I love football and there's no other choice, and that's the only reason why I buy it and to play with some friends. I wish 2k was still making nfl2k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
centking likes this.

PSN: Artman22
Xbox live: Artman22
post #9 of 67 Old 08-19-2014, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

The problem is, the game is basically running on essentially the same backbone as some of their first Xbox 360 Madden's. The game engine hasn't been built from the ground up since like 2007. It's basically the same game engine, with a bunch of crap thrown on top of it, to try to make it seem much better.

I think they are actually scared to try to make a new engine. They are afraid it would be even worse. It would be so nice to get a really amazing Madden at some point in the near future, but it seems we could be years away, but I guess we'll know more in a couple of days.
post #10 of 67 Old 08-20-2014, 12:38 AM

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
The problem is, the game is basically running on essentially the same backbone as some of their first Xbox 360 Madden's. The game engine hasn't been built from the ground up since like 2007. It's basically the same game engine, with a bunch of crap thrown on top of it, to try to make it seem much better.

I think they are actually scared to try to make a new engine. They are afraid it would be even worse. It would be so nice to get a really amazing Madden at some point in the near future, but it seems we could be years away, but I guess we'll know more in a couple of days.

That's most likely it. The last time they came with the new engine it was for 06 for the 360 and the game was atrocious. Madden wasn't playable IMO until 2010. It's so sad cause at this point this game should be amazing and it's not. I honestly feel tiburon lacks the skills to make a good football sim. They cater to the teens that don't care about sim. The thing that makes it even more sad is that it seems like EA and the nfl will never stop the exclusivity. One more day and we get to try the game out.

PSN: Artman22
Xbox live: Artman22
post #11 of 67 Old 08-20-2014, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman22 View Post
Looks like madden received a nice graphical upgrade, but the gameplay doesn't look much improved from the videos I've seen so far. Still zero penalties being called and animations still look stiff. This is what happens when there's no competition. The sad thing is I love football and there's no other choice, and that's the only reason why I buy it and to play with some friends. I wish 2k was still making nfl2k.

Yeah I was telling a friend the same thing when the first vids of gameplay came out. He was so drawn in by the graphics that he was basically calling me a hater but he has changed his tune as of late and started to see what I saw.

These guys really don't care about sim players at all. It really comes down to that. A simple setting/lobby/whatever is all that is needed for true sim players yet they wont do it. It's targeted strictly to those who aren't completely into a sim experience.

AT HAMMOND ROBOTICS WE'RE BRINGING THE FUTURE ... HOME
post #12 of 67 Old 08-20-2014, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
You guys seem like pros so I have some questions. I really want to get better at Madden and I have always struggled with the shear volume of available plays and controlling defensive backs.

How do y'all manage play selection and how are you able to choose a play in the allotted time?

Any tips or tricks for controlling defensive backs?

post #13 of 67 Old 08-20-2014, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I've sucked in my the Madden hype far too many time, so I hope I'm immune. About every five years it gets me and I waste sixty bucks, but so far not this year.
Janibrewski likes this.
post #14 of 67 Old 08-20-2014, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 41
That's why I went with EA access. I can never get myself to buy Madden but I like football and would get NCAA one or twice a generation and just play that. With no NCAA I still can't bring myself to get madden so I figured for $30 I could play a little madden and get my football fix, try FIFA, try Battlefield and anything else they add. Then get my 10% dicount on digital NHL (unless the demo stinks then I can just save that money).
post #15 of 67 Old 08-21-2014, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'll be getting Madden this year for the first time since 2010. I just can't decide between Xbox One or PS4 versions. I can't really find good comparison info online either. Anyone have any ideas or heard anything about differences between the two?
-Evangelo2
post #16 of 67 Old 08-21-2014, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

They're going to be pretty similar, I'm sure. Even the previously Xbox One-specific "CoachGlass" feature is going to be on both versions this year (and I'm surprised that Microsoft was okay with them keeping the name for it the same, considering how derivative it is of SmartGlass).

Safest bet is probably just get whichever version more of your friends will have.

post #17 of 67 Old 08-21-2014, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Down loading free trial of madden 15 hwile playing madden 25. should give me a good comparison of the two.
post #18 of 67 Old 08-21-2014, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

The EA Early Access "access" issues should be resolved now. Just got in, over 4 hours later.

Game looks a lot better than last year so far.

Last edited by tampabuc; 08-21-2014 at 04:22 PM.
post #19 of 67 Old 08-21-2014, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampabuc View Post
The EA Early Access "access" issues should be resolved now. Just got in, over 4 hours later.

Game looks a lot better than last year so far.
Damn it does look a lot better than last years. My immediate favorite feature so far is the coach stick seeing the advantage/disadvantage of the players on the field.

The 5.0 is here
post #20 of 67 Old 08-21-2014, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I am thinking that EA access may actually help improve Madden. Every year when they release the game people will now be able to immediately compare the new game to the old (and instant switch between them) and determine if the changes are big enough to warrant a new purchase (assuming they continue what they did this year). So far there are a few things I will miss when I go back to playing Madden 25 but is it enough to get me to drop $60?
post #21 of 67 Old 08-21-2014, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 272
My favorite part so far was having Cam beat the Seahawks Graphics are pretty damn nice and going to be a huge selling point I think. Gameplay feels alright so far, but I have not been a "hardcore" madden player in years so I'm probably not one to compare it to. Hell I miss the Madden of old!

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #22 of 67 Old 08-22-2014, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Having played last year's a bunch, everything feels off for me. Most of the improvements are great though. Love that quarterbacks are more inaccurate (I can't, for example, place the ball exactly where I want it with Geno Smith like in years past). Love CoachStick. Love the new defensive angle and pass rush stuff. Hate the new playcalling screen with a passion, and they changed most of my presnap adjustment buttons as well (previously I used the dpad). Skills trainer is pretty good, especially when you get to the concepts stuff. Gauntlet is fun but a little too slow (should almost be WarioWare-paced). I'm sure I'll find things to pick apart the more I play the game but I'm pretty impressed at the moment.
Janibrewski and chmorgan like this.

post #23 of 67 Old 08-22-2014, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
This years graphics are a huge step up. Only played one franchise game last night but really liked what I saw. New play calling didn't bother me so much and forgot to try the coachstick. It appears they may be finally headed in the right direction!

Gamertag: x klem x
post #24 of 67 Old 08-22-2014, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, the graphics and presentation definitely have been improved drastically.

post #25 of 67 Old 08-22-2014, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Agreed, the graphics and presentation are a nice step up. I'm also thrown off with the new play calling menu. The Coaches Suggestion, or whatever it is called, is an improvement over Gameflow. Just gotta get used to the layout.

Just have one game in so far and totally missed the Coachstick. That's something that sounds pretty cool.
post #26 of 67 Old 08-22-2014, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I wonder if they will ever get a players eyes right. They're just so creepy looking.

One guy got clocked and was later sitting on the bench, while the trainer was doing the old follow my finger with your eye's deal. His eyes wouldn't move left or right, but did move up and down, almost rolling into his head.

There's just no life in those eyes. Just basically a dead stare. Creeeeepy.

XBL: octavarium1/PSN:octavarium1970
post #27 of 67 Old 08-23-2014, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Another of my favorite changes... so happy that they tweaked the auto-recording so that it doesn't record every single touchdown.

post #28 of 67 Old 08-23-2014, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok, so the presentation has improved dramatically, I think we call all agree on that. But.... before we start celebrating that we finally have a decent Madden, I think there are still a ton of problems with this game:

1. The Default camera angle is "too" close to the action. It's a zoomed in camera angle, that might make the game seem a little more next-gen, a little better graphically, but that camera angle is too close from a gameplay standpoint.

"So, why don't you just go into the options and change the camera to a more backed out viewpoint ? "

Well, actually, that is exactly what I did. I changed the camera to a more backed away view, the classic view, but then it seems that you're "too" far away from the action now. Even farther than normal. This might just be a case of having played it with the zoomed in camera too long, that the normal camera seems abnormally far away. I'm not sure yet (only been playing for 2 hours).

2. They keep playing the same damn jingles over and over in the background, just like last year. This would slowly but surely drive me insane last year. The play by play would repeat too often, causing me to turn off the play by play, but that would just mean that the stadium jingles that they would play, would become even more obvious and tiresome. How many times will they play the same intro of a AC/DC song, or Ozzy Osborne's Crazy Train, or whatever. I mean, look.... I know they play these jingles at the real stadium, but when you hear the same 7 jingles over and over and over, it can literally drive you insane. I haven't checked yet to see if there is way to turn off the jingles without turning off the PA announcer at the stadium. They could be linked to the same sound channel.

3. I played a couple of different games, and a number of various players scored touchdowns, but not once was the PLAYERS NAME MENTIONED AFTER HE JUST SCORED A FREAKING TOUCHDOWN!!!! What the F is up with this ? I don't understand this at all. You know when you are watching a real NFL game, and Frank Gore rips off a 25 yard run for a Touchdown, the announcers will say something like "Frank Gore rumbles his way to a 25 yard touchdown!!! How about that Frank Gore, he still has it after all these years!! " .... while it goes to a commercial break, showing a closeup of Frank Gore hugging his offensive linemen after the score, and Kaepernick running up to him and patting his helmet.

Come on.... When people score an NFL touchdown, it's a big deal, and you should hear the players name REPEATEDLY after a touchdown. Watch any regular season NFL game, and see if a player scores a touchdown, and there is no mention whatsoever of the player that just scored the freaking touchdown. I just don't understand this. Does anybody remember Tecmo Super Bowl from the late 80's ? They had the NFL players license in that game, and they took full and total advantage of it:

How many freaking years ago was this ? I think it came out in like 1989 if I'm not mistaken. This is the year 2014, 25 years later, and yet Tiburon doesn't know how to fully take advantage of their NFL players license ? Does this make any sense to anybody ? I'm serious, I watched like 5 or 6 different touchdowns, and not one time was the players name mentioned at all, just absolutely bizarre and a total waste of the NFL license.

4. As for the actual gameplay of the game, I've only been playing for 2 hours, and I'm not ready to make a judgement yet, but it doesn't seem like the gameplay is improved all that much from last year. I need to play more to see how I feel about the gameplay.

Also, it might seem like all I have to say about the game is negative, but I will admit that the presentation has improved by leaps and bounds. At least they finally improved that a wee bit.

Last edited by Anthony1; 08-23-2014 at 10:47 AM.
post #29 of 67 Old 08-23-2014, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
1. The Default camera angle is "too" close to the action. It's a zoomed in camera angle, that might make the game seem a little more next-gen, a little better graphically, but that camera angle is too close from a gameplay standpoint.

"So, why don't you just go into the options and change the camera to a more backed out viewpoint ? "

Well, actually, that is exactly what I did. I changed the camera to a more backed away view, the classic view, but then it seems that you're "too" far away from the action now. Even farther than normal. This might just be a case of having played it with the zoomed in camera too long, that the normal camera seems abnormally far away. I'm not sure yet (only been playing for 2 hours).

For what it's worth, with this one, you can change this on the fly in-game with the d-pad up and down.

post #30 of 67 Old 08-23-2014, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Graphically it's improved from 25. Not anything mind blowing but definitely improved. The AA issues have been improved a great deal from last year in particularly. Nice to see that for those who are anal about it.

For me though it's about gameplay, I still see the "WTF IS GOING ON" moments and the few games I've played online has me scratching my head about what's to come. Played a friend last night and I knew exactly what was coming. Picked the perfect defense for it and yet he was able to scramble with Vick for a last minute game winning touchdown. After all the work I put in the last drive all of a sudden my guys were just doing whatever they wanted. It was like the plays I picked were suggestions and they were doing what they wanted. So my friend is over there popping corks pouring champagne on himself and booking suites at the club when he kicks it off to me, with 7 seconds left. What do I do? Run it back for a last second game winning touchdown. Of course now I'm popping corks while his guys are going home wet smelling like booze with their heads down. LOL. Now don't get me wrong, that's "exciting" in it's on way but what's being sacrificed in terms of gameplay to make these moments happen?

I don't know. It would be fine if I never played 2K's game but the way it is now I know better can be done.
All in all it's entertaining enough.
Artman22 likes this.

AT HAMMOND ROBOTICS WE'RE BRINGING THE FUTURE ... HOME
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page