AVS Forum banner

New X1 Media Player app doesn't play my MKVs?

1K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  headcase151 
#1 ·
Microsoft today released the September update and the Media Player app. I was planning to rip my recently bought Region A Blu-rays of Transformers Prime (which are never being released on Blu-ray in Region B according to the publisher) using MakeMKV so I could play them on my X1 instead of importing a Region A Blu-ray player just for them. But I made some test files in MakeMKV out of some old DVDs and tried them out on the new X1 update and app and found it doesn't play them. I assumed since the X1 can play Blu-rays and DVDs it would have no issue playing MKVs containing a bit for bit copy of a disk.

Anyone know what MKV codecs will actually play in the app?

#3 ·
They say MKV, which is nothing more than a file container, will be supported, but they don't say what will be supported within the MKV container. Given Microsoft's poor history of codec support, not to mention that the One can't even properly bitstream blu-ray audio or map 5.1/7.1 channels correctly to speakers on apps and HDMI-in feeds, I doubt it's gonna be anything close to high quality codecs like AVC/H.264 and lossless DTS or Dolby True HD audio. So make sure you dumb down your MKV content with low quality codecs and settings.

#6 ·
Any idea how I can allow this media player app to access my NAS on my wireless network?

#10 ·
The thing is, the BD playback from the XBOne is fine. Of course it decodes the audio and sends it as PCM. But that is also what I have my PS4 setup to do too. It's the streaming apps, media player and HDMI input with the audio issues. And you would think they would at least fix it for the HDMI input since that is an important feature of the XBOne. I would like to use my XBOne more but because of the audio problem I don't. Since there is a huge difference between a device putting the surround audio in the proper channels and the XBOne putting the surround audio erroneously in the rear surrounds.

#12 ·
Was anyone aware that you can stream video to you Xbox One now? I thought you had to have a hard drive or flash drive attached to your Xbox One to view video. I have some .mp4 and some .m4v files that I was messing around with on my laptop and I right clicked one and I had option to "play to Xbox one" and tried it and it works. Was this in the latest update and I just missed it?

#14 ·
That's actually been a feature from the start.
Yep. You missed it kanemoto. lol
I've been using Skifta to stream to the One since the beginning. Infact no matter what they implement in the future I'll probably just keep using that. The only way I can see the Xbox One doing it better is IF the app eventually gets to a point where it catalogs your server automatically and Kinect-ize it for something like "Xbox Stream Vacation 2014" or something like that. Of course that would mean I'd have to be careful about naming my content. Right now I just use my cellphone and a couple of presses and my content is playing.

#19 ·
I knew it didn't support MKV.The Xbox One won`t play 3D blurays,in my set up.My Pioneer VSX-84,has HDMI 1.2.My HTPC can pass it to my projector.So will the Xbox One,will when using USB.I just tried Play to,from a PC.I was able to watch a 3D mp4,on my projector. I just got my Xbox One.So I`m trying to figure this out.Looks good so far.I`m not in the Xbox One preview program.Does anyone have an extra invite I could use.I would like to get this working from my server.I don`t want get another receiver,just to pass 3D.Thanks in advance.Dennis

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.