Xbox One surround sound issue - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 11-15-2014, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Xbox One surround sound issue

I am not sure how long I have had my current problem, but I began realizing that my center speaker in my surround sound system is outputting no sound at all when hooked up to my Xbox one. The Xbox is connected with HDMI to the receiver and the receiver is connected to a projector, but I have also tried connecting with a fiber optic cable and have experienced the same problem. My blu-ray player connected to the same receiver by HDMI has no issues with the center speaker not working, so I believe it to be either an Xbox issue or a configuration I may have overlooked. My receiver is a Sony STR-DH520 and the speakers are all Onkyo. I can get the center speaker to have audio from the Xbox one, but only when the output is set to stereo, which obviously destroys the point of surround sound. Even when configuring the Kinect with the surround sound it doesn't play the musical tone to test the speaker level from the center speaker. I am happy to try anything that might fix the issue. I entertained the idea that there might be a problem with the cables themselves, but found it unlikely that both the HDMI and optical cable would have the exact same issue.

This is the link to my receiver's manual. Currently the display shows LPCM 48 kHz when connected via HDMI audio, regardless of my chosen surround sound field.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-15-2014, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Criswell View Post
I am not sure how long I have had my current problem, but I began realizing that my center speaker in my surround sound system is outputting no sound at all when hooked up to my Xbox one. The Xbox is connected with HDMI to the receiver and the receiver is connected to a projector, but I have also tried connecting with a fiber optic cable and have experienced the same problem. My blu-ray player connected to the same receiver by HDMI has no issues with the center speaker not working, so I believe it to be either an Xbox issue or a configuration I may have overlooked. My receiver is a Sony STR-DH520 and the speakers are all Onkyo. I can get the center speaker to have audio from the Xbox one, but only when the output is set to stereo, which obviously destroys the point of surround sound. Even when configuring the Kinect with the surround sound it doesn't play the musical tone to test the speaker level from the center speaker. I am happy to try anything that might fix the issue. I entertained the idea that there might be a problem with the cables themselves, but found it unlikely that both the HDMI and optical cable would have the exact same issue.

This is the link to my receiver's manual. Currently the display shows LPCM 48 kHz when connected via HDMI audio, regardless of my chosen surround sound field.
The problem is with the xbox. It does not process 2.0 sources correctly. 5.1 sources work fine
post #3 of 15 Old 11-15-2014, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott View Post
The problem is with the xbox. It does not process 2.0 sources correctly. 5.1 sources work fine
I have tried setting the audio output to 5.1 uncompressed on the xbox with both HDMI and optical output, but still wasn't able to get the center speaker working correctly. Is there any configuration that needs to change on the receiver?
post #4 of 15 Old 11-15-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
I have tried setting the audio output to 5.1 uncompressed on the xbox with both HDMI and optical output, but still wasn't able to get the center speaker working correctly. Is there any configuration that needs to change on the receiver?
Try a 5.1 source like espn
post #5 of 15 Old 11-16-2014, 06:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
The problem is how XBox One deals with source, not how it is outputted. For example, is your receiver supports 7.1, Xbox One will always output 7.1 LPCM regardless of source channels. So, a 2.0 source will only have L and R channel with rest of the channels silent. Your receiver won't be able to tell a difference and can't apply any processing to create the center channel.

You can try re-encoding on XBOne, which is confusingly called bitstream which converts all into DD or DTS 5.1 lossy format. You lost some audio quality but I'm not sure if XBone can correctly pack it into 2.0 instead of 5.1 stream.
post #6 of 15 Old 11-16-2014, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 35
For those sound issues, make sure you post on the xbox one feedback, so this continues to get addressed and fixed!

https://xbox.uservoice.com/

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV  || Denon AVR-2113CI || Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts) || Polk Monitor 50's (Rears) || Polk CS2 (Center) || Acoustech PL-200

Xbox Live : BoDEAN96 -- Feel free to add me (msg me you are from AVSForums) and we can game.
post #7 of 15 Old 11-19-2014, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
For those sound issues, make sure you post on the xbox one feedback, so this continues to get addressed and fixed!

https://xbox.uservoice.com/
Personally I don't think there is any chance Microsoft will fix all the broken audio issues with the XB1, especially the totally mis-labeled and fraudulent implementation of bitstream. They have managed to fool users into thinking there's nothing wrong with broken audio for a year now, so I for one am no longer going to naively think they'll ever fix the multiple audio issues, no matter how many times it's reported. They are more interested in rolling out silly, often worthless, gimmicky, trivial, etc. updates to the 9-14 year old demographic. And that's fine since that is their primary market; kids playing games that like to show clips of a killshot to a classmate - whatever. For us audio purest, who enjoy HD lossless audio from source material, it's best to stick to a dedicated stand-alone blu-ray player. Any $50 unit can properly bitstream HD audio, and properly channel map 5.1/7.1 source material from blu-rays and apps. The XB1 is just a cluster-mess. For those where it's their only option, I guess the lesser of all its evils would be LPCM Uncompressed 5.1.

Last edited by MWD1001; 11-19-2014 at 10:05 PM.
post #8 of 15 Old 11-30-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
The problem is how XBox One deals with source, not how it is outputted. For example, is your receiver supports 7.1, Xbox One will always output 7.1 LPCM regardless of source channels. So, a 2.0 source will only have L and R channel with rest of the channels silent. Your receiver won't be able to tell a difference and can't apply any processing to create the center channel.

You can try re-encoding on XBOne, which is confusingly called bitstream which converts all into DD or DTS 5.1 lossy format. You lost some audio quality but I'm not sure if XBone can correctly pack it into 2.0 instead of 5.1 stream.
He's exactly right. There is also no activity in the surrounds either. I have the one set to 7.1 pcm and I get no activity in the surrounds, even watching a movie in 7.1 dolby digital plus on vudu. There will be output in the rear surrounds but not the surrounds. I then stresmedcthe same movie through on vudu, namely riddick, through my ps3 and there's sound output through all channels at different times, so even on a 7.1 channel native source all the channels will still not be encoded properly. This is a serious issue since partvofcthe lure of the x box was supposed to be making it the center of your entertainment hub. Thiscisnt prsctical without proper audio decoding. Its the same problem watching tv through it from an incoming 5.1 dd signal on hd channels, no activity in the surrounds. Hell the problem even exists on 5.1 and 7.1 encoded blu ray discs, everything is up front or ambient sounds that should go to surrounds go to rear surrounds or just nothing in the back four channels at all. That makes the one basically good for gaming only unless you just use your tv audio only, which is just lame. The ps4 internally decodes but it doesn't have this issue; my favorite blu rays and vudu streams sound just like their supposed to sound. By the way my setup is onkyo txnr626, jbl studio 235 c center channel with dual 6.5 in drivers, four onkyo skf 4800 two way towers with dual 6.5 in drivers for the left and right front and left and right surround channels, klipsch rb51 2's references for the rear surrounds and two klipsch sw112 subs on opposite sides of the room with a 70 in vizio a70ia3 led display

Last edited by dareelest1; 11-30-2014 at 05:55 PM.
post #9 of 15 Old 12-01-2014, 05:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The surround channels in streaming apps (Netflix etc.) being sent to back surround instead of side surrounds is a well documented issue from day one. If MS didn't fix it for so long, it probably won't be fixed ever. Only a fool will use XBOne as an all-in-one entertainment system. Along with many surround sound issues, it also missed a very important component that existed on previous model, Xbox 360, called WMC Extender which is very useful for watching live TVs without cable boxes.

BTW, the BD player on the console do output 5.1 surround sound correctly.

I only use my Xbox One for occasional gaming. Rest of the time, I use Xbox 360s daily for TV and BD player for rest of the streaming.
post #10 of 15 Old 12-01-2014, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Only a fool will use XBOne as an all-in-one entertainment system.
And since most people are easily fooled, this is exactly what Microsoft is counting on and why the audio issues on this unit will never get fixed. Because the majority of users (who are probably aged 8-15 years old) won't know any better or care. The audiophile represents a very, very small minority. Those folks will keep their dedicated blu-ray player hooked up for proper HD audio.
post #11 of 15 Old 12-01-2014, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
The surround channels in streaming apps (Netflix etc.) being sent to back surround instead of side surrounds is a well documented issue from day one. If MS didn't fix it for so long, it probably won't be fixed ever. Only a fool will use XBOne as an all-in-one entertainment system. Along with many surround sound issues, it also missed a very important component that existed on previous model, Xbox 360, called WMC Extender which is very useful for watching live TVs without cable boxes.

I only use my Xbox One for occasional gaming. Rest of the time, I use Xbox 360s daily for TV and BD player for rest of the streaming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWD1001 View Post
And since most people are easily fooled, this is exactly what Microsoft is counting on and why the audio issues on this unit will never get fixed. Because the majority of users (who are probably aged 8-15 years old) won't know any better or care. The audiophile represents a very, very small minority. Those folks will keep their dedicated blu-ray player hooked up for proper HD audio.
So which one of you guys is right? If the BD portion of the X1 does it correctly, why would I keep a dedicated BD player?
post #12 of 15 Old 12-01-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsaber View Post
So which one of you guys is right? If the BD portion of the X1 does it correctly, why would I keep a dedicated BD player?
We both are right. It is a barely functional BD player with no bitstream HD audio support (you must use Multi-ch PCM output). A regular BD player will be cheaper and more functional.
post #13 of 15 Old 12-01-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:

Very astute points, very astute. I'm experimenting with something right now I said I wouldn't do, and that's change the audio output to bitstream dolby digital 5.1. I feel like thats going backwards to last generation compressed audio but sure enough it sounds better than the 7.1 uncompressed setting with the incorrectly steered audio channels. Then at least the receiver can do something with an incoming dolby or dts signal. I know pl II is matrixing the rear surrounds but I wasn't getting true 7.1 anyway, so I'll try it for a min
post #14 of 15 Old 12-01-2014, 05:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dareelest1 View Post
Very astute points, very astute. I'm experimenting with something right now I said I wouldn't do, and that's change the audio output to bitstream dolby digital 5.1. I feel like thats going backwards to last generation compressed audio but sure enough it sounds better than the 7.1 uncompressed setting with the incorrectly steered audio channels. Then at least the receiver can do something with an incoming dolby or dts signal. I know pl II is matrixing the rear surrounds but I wasn't getting true 7.1 anyway, so I'll try it for a min

It is quite common for ppl feel the bitstreamed audio sounds better than LPCM decoded audio, in this case, a re-compressed lossy audio, not really bitstream. The reason is quite simple: a typical receiver will give a few dbs lower volume on LPCM input than bitstreamed of identical track. When you match the volume, you won't notice much difference.
post #15 of 15 Old 12-02-2014, 07:23 AM

Liked: 22
Quote:
It is quite common for ppl feel the bitstreamed audio sounds better than LPCM decoded audio, in this case, a re-compressed lossy audio, not really bitstream. The reason is quite simple: a typical receiver will give a few dbs lower volume on LPCM input than bitstreamed of identical track. When you match the volume, you won't notice much difference.
True but most A/V receiver don't apply audio processing in a similar fashion with LPCM than Bistream. I love my xbox one but I have to agree here. It's a mediocre blu-ray play at best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area
Gear in this thread