• 1 Post By Kurtiebird
  • 1 Post By jhoff80

post #1 of 9 Old 11-18-2014, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Xbox One Party Games

There's a lot of talk about the popular game franchises, like Halo, GTA, Call of Duty, etc, and rightly so... But I always enjoy a good party game, so I thought I'd start a thread to discuss

We bought Fibbage the other day, by the makers of You Don't Know Jack, which I've always liked. Very enjoyable game; it's pretty similar to YDKJ - presented as a game show, even has the same host (Cookie Masterson). You can play up to 8 players, as long as everyone has a cell phone or tablet (who doesn't?) - and you only need a controller to get the game started. For each question, you're given a "fill in the blank" style clue, and everyone uses their phone/tablet to type in a guess. Then the guesses + the real answer are presented multiple choice (much like the board game Balderdash). For our game, it was just my wife and I, but they threw in an extra fake answer, so you'll never have less than 4 choices. You get points for guessing right, and if people choose your fake answer. Here's a screen shot:

I'm also planning on buying Rabbids Invasion for our 4 yo daughter, though I couldn't find any reviews or even game videos online. That game comes out today; I'll report back once we've tried it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-18-2014, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 738 Post(s)
Liked: 1181
Fibbage is terrific. but it needs more questions. needs regularly released expansions.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-18-2014, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Funny you should bring this up. The "Jackbox Party Pack" came out today.

Includes both the original and an expansion to Fibbage, You Don't Know Jack 2015, a pictionary game, a true/false guessing game, and a word association game.

Worth it ($25) in my opinion for just Fibbage and YDKJ.

Edit: Oh, and all of the games use the smartphone/tablet setup for multiplayer. The True/False game in particular can host up to 100 players.

In case you were wondering: 50 episodes of You Don't Know Jack and all of the original Fibbage content plus "50% more questions".

Apparently it's also coming to Steam soon. To be honest, I'll probably end up double dipping on this, because it's far easier to bring a Surface to a party or to visit family for Thanksgiving next week (just as an example), than it is to bring an Xbox.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80

Last edited by jhoff80; 11-18-2014 at 07:51 PM.
post #4 of 9 Old 11-18-2014, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
Funny you should bring this up. The "Jackbox Party Pack" came out today.

Includes both the original and an expansion to Fibbage, You Don't Know Jack 2015, a pictionary game, a true/false guessing game, and a word association game.

Worth it ($25) in my opinion for just Fibbage and YDKJ.

Edit: Oh, and all of the games use the smartphone/tablet setup for multiplayer. The True/False game in particular can host up to 100 players.

In case you were wondering: 50 episodes of You Don't Know Jack and all of the original Fibbage content plus "50% more questions".

Apparently it's also coming to Steam soon. To be honest, I'll probably end up double dipping on this, because it's far easier to bring a Surface to a party or to visit family for Thanksgiving next week (just as an example), than it is to bring an Xbox.
Aw man... I wish I had known about the party pack before I bought Fibbage. Oh well, I'm buying this on top of my recent Fibbage purchase (which wasn't too expensive anyway). I can't wait to play YDKJ 2015, and try the other games as well. Plus there is added Fibbage content, so there's that.

As I noted in my original post, my daughter and I played Rabbids Invasion for awhile. It was kind of fun, but I think she's still a bit young (4 years old) to get it. As an example, there's a bit where you're watching a scene with the Rabbids, and an image of an object pops up at the top of the screen - you're supposed to point at the screen when that particular object appears in the scene. Well, many times, the object appears, but you have less than a second to point before it's too late. My daughter couldn't do it at all unless I told her when to point, and even then it was often too late.

IMO, they geared this game toward young children, but they need to make things like the pointing game more accessible to those same children, i.e. giving you several seconds to point something out. The pointing is competitive anyway - the first person to respond gets rewarded.

One other annoyance - my wife was in the room, sitting and playing with her tablet. The game saw her and added her as a player, and there didn't seem to be any way to remove her. As a funny side note, for some reason it also picked up our book case as a 4th player, and it apparently couldn't decide if Mr. Bookcase was a real player or not, as it kept popping in and out on the screen, which was very distracting.

We did only play it a short while, and there were certain mini-games that my daughter really liked and wanted to play again and again, and thankfully you can select individual mini-games once they've been unlocked. Overall, though, I think the game as a whole needs some tweaking.
onlysublime likes this.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-19-2014, 01:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 738 Post(s)
Liked: 1181
yeah, Double Fine really needs to release a next-gen version of Kinect Party and Double Fine Happy Action Theater. Those are the most kid-friendly Kinect games ever and just lets the kid play around without any game constraints.

Upgrading to 1080p visuals instead of the VGA 480P would make a huge difference especially with the snapshots.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-19-2014, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtiebird View Post
Aw man... I wish I had known about the party pack before I bought Fibbage.
Yeah, the release kind of came out of nowhere for me as well. I only read about it last night on Joystiq saying that it was out. I kind of feel like they should've given people who bought Fibbage a discount of like $5 or something, but I guess they felt with all the additional content added that it would still be worth it to people.

post #7 of 9 Old 11-24-2014, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

I saw mention of Fruit Ninja Kinect 2 in another thread, but I can't find any release info for it. Does anyone know when this game is supposed to come out? My daughter loved the original, so this is on my instant buy wish list.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-29-2014, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtiebird View Post
Aw man... I wish I had known about the party pack before I bought Fibbage. Oh well, I'm buying this on top of my recent Fibbage purchase (which wasn't too expensive anyway). I can't wait to play YDKJ 2015, and try the other games as well. Plus there is added Fibbage content, so there's that.

As I noted in my original post, my daughter and I played Rabbids Invasion for awhile. It was kind of fun, but I think she's still a bit young (4 years old) to get it. As an example, there's a bit where you're watching a scene with the Rabbids, and an image of an object pops up at the top of the screen - you're supposed to point at the screen when that particular object appears in the scene. Well, many times, the object appears, but you have less than a second to point before it's too late. My daughter couldn't do it at all unless I told her when to point, and even then it was often too late.

IMO, they geared this game toward young children, but they need to make things like the pointing game more accessible to those same children, i.e. giving you several seconds to point something out. The pointing is competitive anyway - the first person to respond gets rewarded.

One other annoyance - my wife was in the room, sitting and playing with her tablet. The game saw her and added her as a player, and there didn't seem to be any way to remove her. As a funny side note, for some reason it also picked up our book case as a 4th player, and it apparently couldn't decide if Mr. Bookcase was a real player or not, as it kept popping in and out on the screen, which was very distracting.

We did only play it a short while, and there were certain mini-games that my daughter really liked and wanted to play again and again, and thankfully you can select individual mini-games once they've been unlocked. Overall, though, I think the game as a whole needs some tweaking.

I'll be picking this up soon too, the phone controller thing sounds great.

Xbox Live: IamVertigo
PSN: IamVertigo
post #9 of 9 Old 11-29-2014, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Played the Jackbox Party Pack over Thanksgiving for like 10 hours total (PC/Steam version on my Surface). Fibbage was definitely the biggest hit. Most people complained that Drawful was a little too slow (and nobody's drawings made any sense). Lie Swatter was mostly a filler while everyone was waiting for others to congregate for Fibbage. YDKJ was enjoyable for me, but most others weren't into it (and the 4 player limit hurt this one too). Didn't even bother with Word Spud, nobody thought the concept was worth the time. Still, Fibbage alone was a ton of fun.
tampabuc likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page