AVS Forum banner

Silicon Dust (tv tuner maker) is developing for the Xbox One

1K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  spid 
#1 ·
http://www.thedigitalmediazone.com/2015/01/08/silicondust-to-update-products-and-expand-apps/

Today we met with SiliconDust, maker of the much-loved HDHomeRun TV tuners. They weren’t actually showing off new products, but they did discuss their product roadmap with us. While they were hesitant to give dates on anything, there was a lot of good news.

...For Microsoft fans, they told us that Windows Media Center users are still their biggest base of users. Perhaps more importantly though, when we asked them about Xbox One support they provided us with a very intriguing answer. They have an Xbox One development kit, so they are obviously having conversations with Microsoft about bringing support to the game console. We weren’t provided with any details about development, or how those discussions were going with Microsoft, but it sounds as if Microsoft also tends to dictate the timeline for the release of apps on Xbox. So even if SiliconDust has completed the app, they could face a significant delay before it’s even made available.
I've been hoping for Microsoft to natively build in tuner support and DVR capabilities into the Xbox One. They own one thing Silicon Dust doesnt - a Cablelabs approved DRM scheme.

#3 ·
If this would actually occur - live TV on XB1 including encrypted channels (HDHR Prime), this would get me off the fence. The fact they abandoned extender abilities made the XBOX One a no-buy for me. The XB1 could have been a really fast, really powerful extender. Directly supporting live TV and DVR capabilities would be even better. With Plex coming for both XBOX and PS3/PS4, the multimedia abilities for all systems are improving. Only thing is, it's becoming easier to perform these functions on very small devices that use very little power. Like you said though, the big difference will be direct playback of DRM channels. Not sure how they will handle playback on multiple devices though without acting as an extender, that "copy once" garbage has been impossible to get around other than when played through an extender.

#4 ·
Actually, current HDHR Prime is able to playback DRM/copy-once channels on DLNA devices that supports DrTCP. The only one that I know of that supports (and works) such encryption is PS3. But the usability is still a lot to be desired because DLNA client UI are not the same as TV watching UI. But if they can integrate with the existing X1 TV app, this is workable. DRM isn't that big of issue if no DVR is involved.

#5 ·
I thought this group would be interested in this. Silicon Dust has a Kickstarter to support the creation of their on DVR application.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1275320038/hdhomerun-dvr-the-dvr-re-imagined

They have already met their original goal, but here is stretch goal that matters to most here.

$250,000 stretch goal - expanded client support:
If we hit $250,000 the additional money will go into staff focused on supporting a wider range of clients. The top clients we have been getting asked about are Roku, iOS, Chromcast, XBox One, and Samsung TVs. Each of these present different challenges and will need the right resources for research and possible implementation
Given what Microsoft announced at Build I was thinking Xbox One support is almost guaranteed if they hit this mark or not.

#6 ·
My train of thought goes like this:

If the client definitely works on Windows 10, and the Xbox One is getting Windows 10 with a goal of app convergence, wouldn't that possibly work?

#12 ·
Loving the app and the record service. Finally will be able to detach myself from WMC and running a windows 7 VM

#14 ·
I only have the extended, so because nothing is broadcast greater than 1080i that isn't an issue for me.

#15 ·
The next step toward full dvr support.

After a crazy amount of work we now have live TV protected channel support on XBox One!
This is a major milestone for us on the way to full DVR support.
Some Windows 10 systems will also play protected channels with this release. Quick test - check you are running the latest HDHomeRun app release from the app store (1.1.162.x) and try tuning a protected channel. If you get sound but no video then it can be made to work by installing the Windows DVD Player app from the Windows store ($15 paid app). If you get an 'unable to play channel' error then you will need to wait for our next app update for protected channels to work.
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...gined/posts/1798177?ref=backer_project_update

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.