What NAS are you using with your XB1? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-25-2015, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What NAS are you using with your XB1?

Hey guys,
With the xb1 now able to easily stream content from a NAS, ive decided that its time for me to get one, instead of going back and forth with a usb hard drive. What NASs are you guys successfully using with your xbox? Im looking to spend a max of $250.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-28-2015, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaa-Yoo View Post
Hey guys,
With the xb1 now able to easily stream content from a NAS, ive decided that its time for me to get one, instead of going back and forth with a usb hard drive. What NASs are you guys successfully using with your xbox? Im looking to spend a max of $250.
Thanks
If you plan on using Plex on your xb1, with your nas, nothing in the $250 range is going to work.
I have a Synology Ds213, it isn't fast enough to transcribe with plex, so I do not use it with my xbox one. I use it with my firetv so I can stream not not have to transcribe.

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV  || Denon AVR-2113CI || Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts) || Polk Monitor 50's (Rears) || Polk CS2 (Center) || Acoustech PL-200

Xbox Live : BoDEAN96 -- Feel free to add me (msg me you are from AVSForums) and we can game.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-28-2015, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaa-Yoo View Post
Hey guys,
Thanks

I have a reverse question, what is XB1 able to stream. I have two Synology NAS. DS413J and 414J. They are loaded with a bunch of MKVs and I use XBMC off a computer. I would like a reason to finally buy and XB1, but if it won't play my MKVs, no reason to.

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #4 of 8 Old 02-28-2015, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post
I have a reverse question, what is XB1 able to stream. I have two Synology NAS. DS413J and 414J. They are loaded with a bunch of MKVs and I use XBMC off a computer. I would like a reason to finally buy and XB1, but if it won't play my MKVs, no reason to.
MKV's are supported. I have played a few of mine, but have not sat down to see which ones play better than others. Or if there are any glitches. I do have Shark installed on my server that houses my rips. Not sure if that helps with the One, but when many said you could not play .mkv to the 360...I was.

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #5 of 8 Old 02-28-2015, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post
MKV's are supported. I have played a few of mine, but have not sat down to see which ones play better than others. Or if there are any glitches. I do have Shark installed on my server that houses my rips. Not sure if that helps with the One, but when many said you could not play .mkv to the 360...I was.
Thanks, Is the XB1 doing the transcoding or is it counting on the NAS?

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #6 of 8 Old 03-01-2015, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 93
That I am unsure of, as I said, I haven't really played with it much. To me, the Media Player app is klunky. It takes way to long to navigate around to the file you want. (especially with music.)

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #7 of 8 Old 03-02-2015, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post
Thanks, Is the XB1 doing the transcoding or is it counting on the NAS?
Its definitely not the Xbox One. That would imply it has a decoder available that is capable of reading the given codec. If that were true it would just be able to play it.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #8 of 8 Old Today, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The xb1 media player app can play many different file types, no transcoding is necessary. I currently play mostly mkv and mp4 files from a usb connected hard drive. There is a known issue where occasionally the app will stop reading the drive and then you'd have to restart your show...which is a nuisance since the app doesn't pick up where it left off, its a very basic player. Anyway, the app will read from a usb drive as well as from a nas so i wanted to get a nas set up for simplicity...no more moving a usb drive back and forth. All i need is a simple nas for storing and accessing media files, im not even very concerned with backup or redundancy. I was eyeing the Synology DS115J with a 2TB drive, maybe that can work for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area