AVS Forum banner

PGA Tour

1K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  OnlookerDelay 
#1 ·
Nothing against Rory but this game was originally targeted for a March launch, June is far too late to release a golf game-period!, it must happen prior to Augusta and now he's on the cover?

Wow...out of all the recent gaming fails, this just might be the most egregious of them all.

Hopefully this becomes a distant memory (in a few more long torturous months :D) and we can all eventually enjoy the game.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
WARNING:
Augusta National/The Masters Not Included in This Year's PGA Tour Game but it could be released as DLC later on, EA Sports says.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/augusta-national-the-masters-not-included-in-this-/1100-6426448/

One of professional golf's most iconic tournaments, The Masters, will not be featured in this year's re-launch of the PGA Tour series from EA Sports. The publisher has confirmed that Augusta National, as well as the tournament it hosts--The Masters--won't be included with Rory McIlroy PGA Tour. "Unfortunately, our license with Augusta National has expired," EA Sports said on Twitter.

Damn.

#4 ·
This game has been delayed so many times it's hard to keep track... but only 2 weeks to go now. Release date (7/14).

I'm still really looking forward to it...I think...

We're already up to the British Open, sad, damn, wow, etc., but the game was designed for current gen only. There will be no 360/Ps3 version. That can't be said for Madden, NHL, etc.

If you have EA Access, it was confirmed today that you get to play 5 days early with a full purchase or everyone can demo it for 10 hours (just like prior EA Access perks).

Finally, the the EA Access digital preorder discount price is $54 right now in the Xbox store. Tough one. More expensive than other options but I can see this one being in rotation for a long time. I really hope this game is good but not quite willing to make that commitment just yet.

#6 ·
6 Minute Gameplay video shows some promise

EA Sports posted a 6+ minute gameplay video, highlighting their quick play option. http://www.operationsports.com/videos/2645/rory-mcilroy-pga-tour-quick-rounds-gameplay/. The golfer picks up play on like the 12th hole at Bay Hill GC and plays five or six holes. I thought it looked pretty impressive, although I wondered how much the presentation was cut back for the "quick play" aspect of it. There was no gallery or players in view on adjacent holes, as had been hinted at earlier.

Keep in mind that the action you're seeing transpire is "Arcade" gameplay, with post shot spin, power boosting, putt-preview, etc.. Additionally, it's all Follow Cam presentation (there's a new "Pro" camera option in this game that will be like Tru-Aim camera was in Tiger 12 and 13, and then it will snap to the landing view, just before the ball lands so you can follow the ball to the finish), so you won't be seeing the new Pro presentation option.

One thing I'm finding a bit troubling is I can't find any official resolution or frame rate information about either version of this game. I had assumed it would be 1080p, at 30 FPS, or more. The fact that I can't get any official information on this, nor a response from EA Sports makes me wonder if they're not particularly proud of the resolution and/or frame rate?

#8 ·
Yeah, it's on EA Access at 12:01 EDT, Thursday July 9th. I'll be giving it a thorough going over, as I'll be trying to decide between the XB1 and PS4 versions. If the XB1 version of RMPGAT suffers from the same lower resolution, slower frame rate, and more limited detail draw distances as the XB1 version of The Golf Club, compared to the PS4 version, I'll go with the PS4 version. I'd rather have it on the XB1 because I have a larger group of golf game playing friends on the XB1. I just have a hard time settling for a next-gen golf game that's still be rendered in 720p... we'll see how this goes.

I'm looking forward to playing the Early Access version no matter what though. I'm curious to see how they've upped the ante with tempo as a component in the Tour Pro difficulty level, and how the new "Pro" camera mode works out. I'm follow-cammed out:eek:

#10 ·
Yeah, they're not doing Kinect nor Move/Move 2 with this one out of the gate. I'm not sure where the market is going with motion controllers at this point. It almost seems like motion controls and virtual reality headsets are going to become inextricably linked.

I think we're probably at least a year out from seeing motion controls reintroduced to golf games, in whatever form they will be a year from now.

#12 ·
Waiting to try this out with the EA Access preview on Thursday! Tiger Woods games used to be a buy every year for me but I have to try it first. I've been playing The Golf Club but it just hasn't pulled me in like the EA Golf games have in the past.

#13 ·
So this was available yesterday as part of the EA Access. I didn't play it whole lot but not sure I like what I am seeing. Feels very stripped down like NHL 15 and the putting mechanic doesn't feel right. Graphically I think it looks pretty good and the new presentation stuff is not bad but I'll have to give it some more time before deciding to buy.

#14 ·
I haven't tried the night golf or fantasy courses yet but I should get some time in this weekend! Nice to hear you are feeling better about it, I still hate the putting but maybe that will change. I do wish there were the Country Clubs feature like TW14. I would think they will bring that back as a future update and the fact that they are saying this wont be a yearly release does excite me!

Me and some friends use to like to play alternate shot games against other players online and from what I can tell that is not in the game either. Hopefully they will add this in the future!

#15 ·
I am resisting pulling the trigger on this for now, especially this late in the year, if it came out in May I would have probably bought it but I buy a lot of games and I have the Golf Club to satisfy my itch. Eventually when they add more to this game I will buy in but I still have the Witcher 3 which I barely played, Batman (about 25% complete) and Destiny is always taking my time from the others. Not to mention I picked up Ori, Slender the Arrival and Geometry Wars on sale last week!

Hopefully they do support the game with free updates as they are indicating and hope you enjoy it!

#19 ·
I can't recommend the game at this point. It needs some tuning and refinement. The developers know this on they've already solicited feedback in a couple of forums, including the official one. I usually buy the latest EA Sports golf game day one, but after seeing the condition of this game during my 10 hour trial period with Early Access, I'm sitting on the sidelines until this one gets proper treatment.

My biggest gripe about RMPGAT is its lack of feel and its reliance on a power meter that can't be disabled, even in Custom Tour Pro difficulty settings. The swing mostly requires a twitchy flick (which the game calls "tempo"... AS IF!?) of the stick for maximum clubhead speed. As for the power meter (it's a sphere below your golfer's feet), it winds up being a distraction to me because I find that I do better with getting consistent clubhead speed by ignoring it, and just watching the golfer animation. It's just enough in my perifpheral vision to be an annoyance though.

I'm pretty sure they're going to give players an option to disable it in the first update, which the devs area already testing. They're also adding a tweak to the swing interface that will make it more difficult to stripe every shot to your intended target, directionally. The way more people miss their intended target now is by fast or slow "tempo" and coming up long or short, respectively.

#20 ·
I got back home last night after a week away from my XB1, and 20 minutes of remaining Early Access time with RMPGAT. I had all sorts of things to try in that remaining time to make the gameplay more challenging the proportional control dependent. I saw a few glimmers of hope for it here and there, but nothing to make me want to play the game any more in its present state... it just doesn't have that magic X factor that says "play me" right now, for my tastes anyway.

I will defend The Wetlands as being a viable course. It doesn't look like a PGA Tour course, but I don't think it strives to be. I love the rustic look of the course as it looks like some of the courses I've played in lower South Carolina, that I would consider high, B "grade" courses. It will get play from me once the game's game play gets some adjustments to bring it up to what I think it's capable of.

One thing that stood glaringly out to me in my remaining 20 minutes was just how grainy the graphics are, at least on the XB1 version. I saw the freaking stair-stepped outline of my golfer's hairline in the evening conditions at Chambers Bay that looked so bad, I had to check my TV's settings to make sure I was still on "Game" settings. Then I saw the sparkling, grainy glistening of the fairway textures and it looked like the game had gone overboard with X-Treme gausian blur, vignette effects. IMO, it's just not a good look at the 900p resolution at which the XB1 version appears to be running.

Those of you playing the game on the PS4, are you seeing what you would consider to be an annoying level of graininess in this game?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.