Surface 3 (not Pro) $500 Tablet - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By onlysublime
  • 1 Post By jhoff80
  • 1 Post By newfmp3

post #1 of 15 Old 03-31-2015, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 235
2015 Surface 3 "Lite" $500 Tablet

This post is somewhat off topic but this might be the best way to play upcoming Xbox One "remote play" games with full controller support and no dependency on a TV or other PC in the house.

It's not a 2015+ Surface Pro 4, still to be announced, but the starting price is $500. iPad killer range and not Windows RT based (finally).

I still think that the SP3 is the best computing device ever developed up to this point. Looking forward to Windows 10 devices that are even smaller, cheaper, faster, etc...good start here.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/...rface-3-tablet

Microsoft revealed the newest addition to its tablet family, and it brings familiar features to a smaller package.
The Surface 3 –– not to be confused with the larger Surface Pro 3 –– runs full Windows and desktop applications, and can run apps from the Windows Store, Steam and GOG. At 8.7mm thick, and weighing 1.37 lbs., the Surface 3 is the thinnest and lightest device in the Surface lineup.

Last edited by tampabuc; 03-31-2015 at 05:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-31-2015, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 685
If I didn't already have a couple of Surface Pro 2 machines and a Surface 2, I would be interested. Looks like a great machine.

Can't wait for a Surface Pro 4 or whatever machine comes with Skylake. I'm totally skipping the Broadwell. Broadwell was delayed long enough to run into the Skylake debut. Everyone knows that Skylake is the tock in Intel's tick-tock cycle. Skylake is where the big improvements will be.
tampabuc likes this.
post #3 of 15 Old 04-01-2015, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post
If I didn't already have a couple of Surface Pro 2 machines and a Surface 2, I would be interested. Looks like a great machine.

Can't wait for a Surface Pro 4 or whatever machine comes with Skylake. I'm totally skipping the Broadwell. Broadwell was delayed long enough to run into the Skylake debut. Everyone knows that Skylake is the tock in Intel's tick-tock cycle. Skylake is where the big improvements will be.
I'm going to be traveling for work more and this has me interested. Still a little expensive I think for what it is.
post #4 of 15 Old 04-01-2015, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, for an Atom machine... running such a high-res display as well.

The build quality of Surface machines are fantastic. But an Atom is an Atom. I know they're comparing them up against the iPad machines which are actually more expensive when comparing likes but still...

I don't think any modern PC should run on 2 GB. I know that Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 are designed to be lighter than previous generations of Windows but still 2 GB is too low.
post #5 of 15 Old 04-01-2015, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 140
I was about to buy a SP3 but wasn't really looking forward to spending ~ $800-$1000. This is half the price and all I need for "working" at home or on the go

Sony HW40es Projector / 106" Silver Ticket screen
Sony 70" W830B LED TV
PS4 GT: Ringo619
Xbox One GT: JonnyRingo619
post #6 of 15 Old 04-01-2015, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 241
I love the 10.6" screen size of my Pro 2. It's the biggest reason I never had any interest in a Pro 3. With the Surface 3 being similar dimensions to the Pro 2, it's way more interesting to me. I just wish smaller devices such as this weren't always given low-end internals. Core M isn't perfect, but I'd have far more interest in a Core M version of this. And it's a mistake using microUSB for charging instead of USB Type C. The latter is the future. Let's get our devices on it as soon as possible (and preferably at least two of them, with one on each side like Google is doing with the Chromebook Pixel).

Still though, it looks like a good option for many... just not for me. I just am not looking to replace my Pro 2 right now, and even if I was, this wouldn't be the device to be able to do that.
tampabuc likes this.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #7 of 15 Old 04-01-2015, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Typing on Surface Pro 3 256gig model now. I would not give it up for anything. Microsoft is on a roll with these things. I work at a computer dept at a major university. We are getting requests in droves for these things. We can't keep up with it. People Tossing their iPad's and Macbooks aside in frustration with how many hurdles you gotta jump through for them things to be productive.

RT was MS's biggest mistake with these. Only caused mass confusion. Good riddance!
tampabuc likes this.
post #8 of 15 Old 04-02-2015, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 76
I use a SP3 64G unit. I went with the cheapest one (Skipped Sp2) knowing I would want a SP4. Atom is fine for web and light apps. Pricing seems high for an Atom and 2G though...

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #9 of 15 Old 04-04-2015, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If you have a BestBuy nearby, they should have these out to demo already.

Got to mess around with one in person today, very nice machine. Very lightweight but not as thin as I expected.

Now I'm on a mission to see if I can sell off an old iPad and iPad mini to get this this thing with close to nothing out of pocket by the time it's released. A month to go...

Last edited by tampabuc; 04-04-2015 at 02:25 PM.
post #10 of 15 Old 04-04-2015, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I think the limit is due to the full-sized USB 3.0 port. You can't get around that.
post #11 of 15 Old 05-05-2015, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Anyone get one of these today? No go for me yet.

Can't even give away the old Apple stuff. Pennies on the dollar at this point. Times have changed. Too late.
post #12 of 15 Old 05-06-2015, 12:25 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm interested in trading in my Surface 2 to get the new Surface 3. It says I'll get $150 credit.

But what I'm wondering is if someone was able to combine it with the 10% off education deal. Because the 4GB/128GB model is $540 with the 10% off and then if I had the $150 credit, the machine would be $390 which would be fantastic.
post #13 of 15 Old 05-06-2015, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampabuc View Post
Anyone get one of these today? No go for me yet.
I'm going to pick one up, probably end of the month or next month. I'd like one today, but distribution has no stock yet and I kind of want to wait for the second production line for them to work the kinks out of this first run.

And LOL about Apple/pennies on the dollar.

Sony HW40es Projector / 106" Silver Ticket screen
Sony 70" W830B LED TV
PS4 GT: Ringo619
Xbox One GT: JonnyRingo619
post #14 of 15 Old 05-06-2015, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post
I'm interested in trading in my Surface 2 to get the new Surface 3. It says I'll get $150 credit.

But what I'm wondering is if someone was able to combine it with the 10% off education deal. Because the 4GB/128GB model is $540 with the 10% off and then if I had the $150 credit, the machine would be $390 which would be fantastic.

You should have no problem combining the trade in credit and the education credit. I did that just last year to cut the price of a SP3 in half.

Glad you mentioned this, thanks, because I expect MS Stores to start accepting old Android & Apple gear for trade-ins at very attractive prices. Especially for the back to school season. There may be hope yet!
post #15 of 15 Old Yesterday, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone looking to pick up a keyboard or a spare, all the Type Cover 2 keyboards are on major sale at Amazon!

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Surf...s=type+cover+2

They're all Prime eligible as well. The purple is $60, the magenta is $61.50, and the cyan is $63. Make sure you choose the appropriate store to get the right price and Prime eligibility.

I pick up spares for my Surface Pro 2 and my Surface 3.

Yes, the keyboard layout is slightly different from the Type Cover 3. And the dimensions are a little off (the cover comes up to just underneath the front camera on the S3), but it works great and it's not noticeable when the keyboard is on your lap or desk and being used. The Type Cover 3 touchpad is slightly better as well (but that doesn't matter to me because I use touchscreen with a trackball).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page