AVS Forum banner

Gears of War Xbox One

5K views 216 replies 39 participants last post by  miker104 
#1 ·
This has got me psyched! Gears was my all-time favorite series (sorry, Halo, Mass Effect, etc.). I spent countless hours playing horde mode. Heck, I still remember playing with Mboojigga and his wife and kids. :p

http://www.polygon.com/2015/4/24/8490745/gears-of-war-xbox-one-anniversary-remake

Microsoft and Black Tusk Studios are developing a remastered version of the original Gears of War for Xbox One, sources tell Polygon.

The re-release of Gears of War for Xbox One will include updated visuals and reworked cutscenes, courtesy of animation studio Plastic Wax, according to a source. Stills of Gears of War's remade opening cinematic were shown to Polygon, offering a new look at the Locust invasion with updated visuals.

Update: According to another source, Brink and Dirty Bomb developer Splash Damage is working on the Xbox One remaster of Gears of War. The U.K.-based studio has several job listings that say it's working on a "very well known and highly popular AAA title with next gen technology." We've reached out to Splash Damage for comment.

Update 2: We've seen some multiplayer screenshots of the Gears of War remaster, and it appears that the Xbox One game features improved lighting and increased texture quality. We're told that the multiplayer runs at 60 frames per second.

http://kotaku.com/report-gears-of-war-remaster-coming-to-xbox-one-1700059889

Today, a number of people across the country obtained access to a test build for “Gears of War” on the Xbox One, as shown in the screenshot above. Although we suspected it might be part of an as-of-yet-unannounced Gears collection including a number of games in the series, this may in fact just be a remaster of the first Gears of War game, if a new Polygon report is accurate.

We hear this Gears test build will go live tonight around 9pm Eastern, so we should know more then. Microsoft has yet to respond to Kotaku’s requests for comment.

UPDATE (9:10pm): It’s real. Three different people playing tonight’s test build tell us that it’s just the first Gears of War. This test build is multiplayer-only, featuring the following modes: Team Deathmatch; King of the Hill; 1 Life 1V1 Shotgun TDM; 1v1 Sudden Death Gnashers Only; 4v4 TDM Single Round; and 4v4 KOTH Single Round.

See less See more
#2 ·
Man we still play on the the 360 lol. Now on to the Xbox One and record those sessions lol.

#3 ·
I'm hoping it's not JUST the first one because the first one was so raw in terms of gameplay and very barebones as well. Lots of problems like knowing what you could stick to and what you couldn't stick to. In fact, some things were way too sticky and hard to disengage.

In terms of gameplay, I liked Gears of War 2 the most. Gears 3 was terrific with a lot of additions but some of my friends thought it was too much. Like there were only so many things you could do in a Gears 2 horde map and they liked that limitation. Figure out your initial strategy and stick to it. In Gears 3, with all the additions, gameplay was more complicated and you couldn't just wash, rinse, and repeat.

A trilogy would have me saying...

#4 ·
Gears is my absolute favorite all time franchise. The original gears is what got me hooked on online game play and I loved playing every release. I would buy this in a heartbeat.

#5 ·
I loved Gears 1 as much as everyone here but I'm not sure I'd buy this again just for the updated visuals but it was one great game.

#6 ·
Yeah, but you never played in on your JTR 215s...it will be a whole new experience :p

#7 ·
I've been playing gears for a long time. I still play a lot of Gears 3 online TDM. With that said, I absolutely hated Judgement. Such a waste of money buying that game. They tried to do way too much with that game. They moved away from what Gears is all about and tried to make it too much like Halo and COD.

#8 ·
I played all the Gears games but the series never grabbed my attention like other franchises. I never particularly took to the characters, art style and very bland color palette. With each game, once I finished it, I felt very little desire to revisit it. A remaster of only one game would hold zero interest for me; a Master Chief Collection style compilation of all the games would be a little more interesting.

#9 ·
Gears of Wars 2 was what got me into console gaming. I was a PC gamer previously.

I did get the OG Xbox (and didn't get one until the 360 gen actually already started) but only because it was so hackable with readily obtainable images. In fact, you could buy an OG Xbox with controller for $30-50. Then mod it and install a huge HDD. My main OG Xbox had a 500GB drive. My secondary OG Xbox had a 320GB HDD. I also had a PS2 for the same reason. Got my fat PS2 modded and burned a zillion games to discs.

But once I play Gears 2, I just had to have the 360. The way the controller rumbled while slamming bullets into the Locust. The brutality of the sounds, the ferocity of the Locust. If you look back at the time of the first couple of Gears games, no other shooting game had quite the same intensity. The Halo series was fantastic. But the guns and gameplay felt kind of sterile. Most shooters were like that. When I got my first headshot in Gears, I had a real OMG moment. When you get pounded by weaponry in most games, you just kind of die and that's it. Some vibration, the screen might turn red, etc. But you don't really felt the punishment of death like in Gears. Even games like COD, when you die, you just go "oh well" and hop right back into the fight. Sometimes you just get destroyed in Gears and it's as if you can feel the death.

#17 ·
Ya, GoW got me back into console gaming too. Mostly it was Xbox live and the ease of getting in a party with friends, it was a million years ahead of PC in that regard.

Now I'm fully back on PC, and with the way gears plays it wouldn't really be an issue mixing m/kb and controller players, so I think it's a pretty good candidate for cross-play.

#10 ·
Completely agree with the above sentiments. I have also been a "Gears head" since the first one came out. We had a group of about 20 people that played it non-stop for almost two years. We rarely ventured in to public, but had regular battles amongst each other, and forged friendships that have, and will last the rest of my life. I will be disappointed if this is just a re-make of Gears 1, and would rather see a compilation, such as MCC. Especially if they try to do a cash-grab and price point it at 60 for the one title...

#18 ·
Totally agree, I gamed with the same few friends over he series. It would be nice to have a compilation to go back and revisit on the Xbox One. It might get a few of the stragglers in the group to move to the next gen so we can look at retiring the 360. I am hoping the next Halo installment will get them to finally move to the next gen.

#11 ·
I'm not sure I'd pay full price for this (unless it was a collection of all the games), but I'd pick it up for $20. The original Gears of War is what made me run out to buy a 360 and really got me back into gaming after a lull at the end of the previous gen. My wife was out of town at the time, and I went to see a movie by myself. They had a trailer for Gears before the movie, and I was blown away. When my wife got back in town, she said "I thought the Xbox was black?" I was busted. :D

#12 · (Edited)
I had a similar experience with Halo 2 and the original Xbox. Saw a trailer for it before a movie and thought, "Wow, games have come a long way." I didn't game at all throughout the 90's after growing up with Colecovision, Nintendo, and the Sega Master System in the 80's. But I ran out and got the Xbox and Halo 2 after that movie. It was a big adjustment trying to figure out the movement process (two thumbsticks?!?!) and all the extra buttons/triggers/bumpers. I haven't looked back since. :D

EDIT: Oh wait, I don't think the original Xbox controller had bumpers, did it? Still a lot of extra buttons and whatnot compared to game controllers from the 80's.

Reactions: tsaville
#20 ·
I played Gears of War on the PC way back when. looked fantastic (though playing on a 23" monitor probably helped with that). It was weird with KBM though. Almost surreal how fast the game ran and how quickly you could whip around.

as for ripoffs, it depends on what they do. My opinions of remakes/remasters have changed because of Halo: The Master Chief Collection. That is what remakes/remasters should be. This should be the benchmark. Not only was it 4 games (and soon to be 5 with the free Halo 3 ODST DLC), it was all the DLC, redone cutscenes, online MP that never existed before (the original Halo never had online MP), upgraded graphics, etc. The overhaul in Halo 2 is far more extensive than the typical upgrade. All for a good price.

I look at the remasters out there that are almost phoned in. You look at Borderlands 2 with exactly the same cutscenes which look bad now. You look at Tomb Raider which is only one game with some graphical upgrades (though still amazing and beautiful) for the same $60. The Last of Us is basically the same. God of War too. Not saying these remasters were bad. But to get me to spend money again for it, you have to bring more to the table.

#21 ·
I played Gears of War on the PC way back when. looked fantastic (though playing on a 23" monitor probably helped with that). It was weird with KBM though. Almost surreal how fast the game ran and how quickly you could whip around.
Yeah, maybe the only place where they might have an issue with the balancing is the sniper rifle. That might be a little too powerful with a mouse. But beyond that even though you can whip around quicker, gears has never been twitchy or reliant on dexterity to play well.

as for ripoffs, it depends on what they do. My opinions of remakes/remasters have changed because of Halo: The Master Chief Collection. That is what remakes/remasters should be. This should be the benchmark. Not only was it 4 games (and soon to be 5 with the free Halo 3 ODST DLC), it was all the DLC, redone cutscenes, online MP that never existed before (the original Halo never had online MP), upgraded graphics, etc. The overhaul in Halo 2 is far more extensive than the typical upgrade. All for a good price.

I look at the remasters out there that are almost phoned in. You look at Borderlands 2 with exactly the same cutscenes which look bad now. You look at Tomb Raider which is only one game with some graphical upgrades (though still amazing and beautiful) for the same $60. The Last of Us is basically the same. God of War too. Not saying these remasters were bad. But to get me to spend money again for it, you have to bring more to the table.
To be fair there's a lot more distance between the halo games and gears 1 vs other titles you mentioned. I'm def not paying $60 for just gears 1 no matter how much they upgrade it though. I'm hoping for a full blown DX12/UE4 remake though...if they're just dressing up the PC version I'm going to be disappointed.

#22 ·
Yip. Ripoff. I'll stand by it. Matter of fact, when it came out many felt the same way and there was even a thread here about it. Did it look great and play great? yes. But the campaign was a freaking joke it was so short. It was the game that made me rethink buying anything on day one without knowing how long the campaign was. As a huge fan of Epic over the years, I was shocked at the time. The PC version at least had an extra level to it.

Some of us could care less about multiplayer. So take that away, there wasn't much left.

#24 ·
This game was one of the best multiplayer games i've played on the 360 and was one of the first games to truly feel next gen at the time. No one really bought this game for single player. That's like buying COD or battlefield just for the campaign :rolleyes:

#25 · (Edited)
Oh...I don't know...that may be true now...but it wasn't for me in late 06. It was my launch game for my first 360. I had not discovered online MP yet, nor how addicting it can be. And, if my wife hadn't purchased an "online bundle" for my birthday, with a 13 month subscription...it's likely it would have taken me a while to delve in to it.

#27 ·
I never had a 360 or a One till just recently.

I am really looking forward to this!

By the way, put me down as another that buys just for the campaign. I'm not into online multiplayer.

#32 ·
I will happily buy GOW Collection or whatever it ends up being called on XBO. In fact, it gives me another reason apart from Halo MCC, to get an XBO. What I do not want is for them to make the mistake that was made with Halo and have two engines running at once. Halo MCC should have been the remastered versions and nothing more, as we all know that running two versions of the game at once obviously bogged down the performance in the end.

#33 ·
IGN talked about this in their podcast about Halo MCC. Originally it was supposed to be only about Halo 2 Anniversary and that's it. But somewhere down the pipeline they decided to put all the games. But McCaffrey said he would've preferred ONLY a fully updated halo 2 with all halo 2 maps given the modern update rather than the current one where it's all the games but only the most popular h2 maps were updated while the rest of the h2 maps were left as-is

#36 ·
I'm all for Halo because it had 4 games. But it was unprecedented. They went above and beyond. Most of the remasters were 1 game and only upgraded with minor texture upgrades, higher resolution, higher framerate, and DLC.

It was shocking how much effort was put into the Halo one.

#37 ·
I'm in the beta!!! Woohoo! Can't wait to check it out.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/15/gears-of-war-ultimate-edition/

'Gears of War: Ultimate Edition' lands August 25th, beta starts today

Microsoft and The Coalition have taken the wraps off Gears of War: Ultimate Edition, a remastered version of the original Gears of War for the Xbox One. The cover-based shooter is getting the obligatory visual upgrade, including 60-frames-per-second graphics -- important when you're ambushing an unsuspecting multiplayer rival. Ultimate Edition launches on August 25th, but a free public beta is starting today.

#49 ·
Does your buddy still need the codes, or did he get in? Just let me know, and I can send you mine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.