XBO controller signal - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By newfmp3
  • 1 Post By tampabuc
  • 1 Post By newfmp3
  • 1 Post By tampabuc

post #1 of 17 Old 04-27-2015, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
XBO controller signal

Over the weekend, my modest tv/sports/gaming room got a major upgrade which involved relocation of all components to a rack which sits on the other side of a brick wall with all signals being passed through HDMI, trigger cables or the ilk. Everything works great....except the Xbox one. I have to stand about 7 ft away from my primary seat (essentially in a hallway with my head peeking around the corner) to use the Xbox. I got a new controller, updated software and replaced batteries...no improvement. When I say controller, I mean the standard gamepad controller, not a remote control.

Any suggestions?

If I were to run a kinect into my viewing room, could the gamepad work through the kinect?

I'm at a bit of a loss here...

Last edited by DeviledTiger; 04-27-2015 at 10:52 AM. Reason: grammar and speeling...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-27-2015, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeviledTiger View Post
Over the weekend, my modest tv/sports/gaming room got a major upgrade which involved relocation of all components to a rack which sits on the other side of a brick wall with all signals being passed through HDMI, trigger cables or the ilk. Everything works great....except the Xbox one. I have to stand about 7 ft away from my primary seat (essentially in a hallway with my head peeking around the corner) to use the Xbox. I got a new controller, updated software and replaced batteries...no improvement. When I say controller, I mean the standard gamepad controller, not a remote control.

Any suggestions?

If I were to run a kinect into my viewing room, could the gamepad work through the kinect?

I'm at a bit of a loss here...
Good Luck. There are multiple discussions on the serious lack of controller support MS offered this generation. They range from what you are experiencing, to complete loss of any kind of control whatsoever...even within Microsoft's suggested playing range. You will not see any defined answers. The Kinect could be an answer, but alas, Microsoft has left their community hanging out on that front as well. There is no perfect, or branded solution to extending the Kinect.

So much for our "all in one" entertainment device...

Some research here, and here...

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

Last edited by kevin g.; 04-27-2015 at 12:11 PM.
post #3 of 17 Old 04-27-2015, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 528
Sorry but this has absolutely nothing to do with MS support about controllers. KEYWORD in the post was "brick wall". Someone should have researched and told you this would be the worst thing to do for any entertainment room. Your trying to pass a wireless signal through brick which is what is causing your issue.

The 5.0 is here
post #4 of 17 Old 04-27-2015, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe this will help with some issue and have a better understanding about wireless interference. Your Xbox controllers are wireless and fall under the same issues routers, cell phones and Bluetooth have to deal with.

The 5.0 is here
post #5 of 17 Old 04-27-2015, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 217
regardless, what kevin says is true. Brick wall or not. My xbone is like 8' away now and I still get disconnects.
kevin g. likes this.
post #6 of 17 Old 04-27-2015, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post
regardless, what kevin says is true. Brick wall or not. My xbone is like 8' away now and I still get disconnects.
What Kevin says has nothing to do with the OPs issue or yours. It is a brick wall. That was what he clearly pointed out in his recently renovated theater. Just because Kevin or yourself are two or 8 feet away doesn't change the rules about wireless interference. Here is an idea, sit closer. Routers, cell towers and controllers work in the same way. The further you are away the weaker your connection is. But I know this can't just be because you are sitting 8 feet away because this isn't an everybody problem. Something unknown to you in your home or area is causing this problem.

His Xbox One might literally be sitting behind brick wall and by the time the signal gets through that wall may look as if he is sitting 15 feet away from the system because of how much he signal he is losing for the controllers to the system.

MS can't fix your home, neighborhood or your neighbors large fish tank. They fall under the same rules with these devices that use these wireless protocols.

The 5.0 is here
post #7 of 17 Old 04-27-2015, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Not disagreeing, just say'n, the xbox has issues. btw, one of my jobs is a wireless network admin.
post #8 of 17 Old 04-27-2015, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 247
I love my giant fish tank, sorry neighbor, its a hobby!

I love the idea of all of my components hidden away behind a wall, especially brick (very manly), but in a real world application, how would you ever comfortably change a disk (constant, daily activity - games or otherwise), interact with Kinect, issue voice commands that control all of your A/V gear with a simple "hello," connect a Skylanders portal, etc. ??? I just don't get it I guess.
mboojigga likes this.

Last edited by tampabuc; 04-27-2015 at 05:52 PM.
post #9 of 17 Old 04-27-2015, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Not disagreeing, just say'n, the xbox has issues. btw, one of my jobs is a wireless network admin.
So does every known man made device in the world. Still has nothing to do with the OP issue about losing his controller connections with the now added brick wall that his Xbox is sitting behind.

The 5.0 is here
post #10 of 17 Old 04-27-2015, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

mboojigga
I get that you're onboard with MS's stance on interference, (You've counter-posted enough of my posts...) And I respect your opinion, as you are obviously a professional, while I am only an enthusiast in networking. I just don't buy it as the do all/end all reason for the disconnects. There are many documented posts at the support forums that also concur with my points. I could be wrong...but I doubt it. Microsoft has too long of a history of deflecting and hiding facts.

If the OP (like most of us...) had played, or maybe is playing other game systems in the same area/circumstances, why would he not expect the same or better of this gen?

You would be able to pinpoint an interference issue at some point. I would even buy it, if it was a random intermittent thing. But some of the disconnects that are documented are within a few feet of the console/Kinect device. There is no reasonable excuse that this gen controller should have these problems....when last gen clearly did not.

The signal/wireless spec chosen by MS for this gen (God knows why...) to improve connectivity...I assume. It's no leap to think that there should have been more testing in a real environment. You have asked me before what they should have tested for...I say real world application. They're a multi-billion dollar think tank...nobody said "hey, people aren't playing in our sterile rooms...guys, take this home and test it out..."??? It is supposed to be an improvement, not a setback.

Last edited by kevin g.; 04-27-2015 at 07:57 PM.
post #11 of 17 Old 04-27-2015, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Don't know what the dropout issue could be but the overall strength of signal from these controllers seems to be very good.

Sometimes I grab a controller that is already synced from a central charging hub for use upstairs or downstairs. The total distance between both consoles is easily 40-50 feet, on a different floor, concrete block construction, lots of angles...whatever

Any one of the controllers can turn on the wrong console. Happens all the time.

Pisses me off too because my good displays are plasmas and I don't want to leave them unattended, ever!
post #12 of 17 Old 04-28-2015, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry that my original post didn't make it clear that I'm not a complete novice (aka "Brick walls impact wireless signals????? Why didn't someone tell me this?!??"). In hopes of clarifying:

1) I know the difference between a wired signal and a wireless one. It's why almost nothing in my system is wireless.

2) The brick wall isn't from a remodel that I've done. It surrounds a fireplace.

3) Other wireless signals make it thru/around the brick just fine, including the xbox360.

4) prior to moving the Xbone it randomly disconnected when 6ft away with no obstacles.

5) I have temp seating about 4 ft back and 2 ft to the right (behind and toward the rack -- closer to a hall). The Xbone controller connects when sitting there...for 30 mins...then I can't get it to connect...but if I move 1 ft it connects. I ruled out this being battery driven.

6). I'm looking for work-arounds, not accusing M$FT of poor engineering. There's a difference.
post #13 of 17 Old 04-29-2015, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampabuc View Post
Don't know what the dropout issue could be but the overall strength of signal from these controllers seems to be very good.

Sometimes I grab a controller that is already synced from a central charging hub for use upstairs or downstairs. The total distance between both consoles is easily 40-50 feet, on a different floor, concrete block construction, lots of angles...whatever

Any one of the controllers can turn on the wrong console. Happens all the time.

Pisses me off too because my good displays are plasmas and I don't want to leave them unattended, ever!

This just puzzles me completely. 20 feet away and my controllers will not power on the system. If they do, its sporadic and just luck. Do you have any other wireless stuff in your house at all?
kevin g. likes this.
post #14 of 17 Old 04-29-2015, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
This just puzzles me completely. 20 feet away and my controllers will not power on the system. If they do, its sporadic and just luck. Do you have any other wireless stuff in your house at all?
Agreed...this shocked the hell out of me as well. I don't know what to think anymore.

post #15 of 17 Old 04-30-2015, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd like to know how old his system is too. Mine is a launch unit.
post #16 of 17 Old 05-01-2015, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

My experience was shaky connection with 10ft and clear line-of-sight....but I've got a near-launch unit.
post #17 of 17 Old 05-04-2015, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Day 1 Edition Xbox One, same one where the Kinect was DOA out of the box...thankfully I bought a back up console in store on launch day. Just in case the UPS truck was hijacked.

As far as connections and possible interference goes, I have dozens of wireless connections gong at any one time. Printers, laptops, desktops, tablets, phones, astro headset, consoles, you name it. Everything from the lowly Bluetooth crap to 6.0 wireless landlines sitting right next to all the consoles...

I always hard wire my main Smart TV and consoles including Xboxes, WiiU, PS. That probably helps some but that's just a matter of convenience due to the close proximity of the router.
kevin g. likes this.

Last edited by tampabuc; 05-04-2015 at 10:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area