AVS Forum banner

Gears of War 4 Xbox One

10K views 171 replies 32 participants last post by  spid 
#1 · (Edited)

Gears of War 4!!! Take my money now!!!

This is 1 of 6 currently announced games that support HDR: the others include Forza Horizon 3, Scalebound, NBA 2K17, Battlefield 1, and Resident Evil 7.

Preorder details:

https://gearsofwar.com/en-us/games/gears-of-war-4/order

Gears of War 4 releases October 11th 2016, and pre-orders are now available. Experience the next chapter in the Gears of War saga following JD Fenix, son of Marcus Fenix, as he discovers the source of a monstrous new enemy with close friends Kait and Del.

On top of the Campaign, which supports two player co-op locally or over Xbox Live, fan favorite mode Horde is back and better than ever. Additionally, Versus Multiplayer sports 60 fps, dedicated servers, brand new modes, a new visible ranking system and much more.

Buy Gears 4, Get the Gears Xbox 360 Collection

For a limited time, all purchases of Gears of War 4 include the entire Gears of War Xbox 360 library for free, all playable on Xbox One thanks to Backwards Compatibility! The Gears of War Xbox 360 collection provides you with four incredible games, from the epic saga of the original Gears of War trilogy to the standalone story of Gears of War: Judgment.

Physical copies of the game will come with codes for each of the four titles to download via Xbox Live. For those who purchase digitally, your codes will be sent via Xbox Live message – we’ll be sharing more information on digital distribution closer to launch.

The Standard Edition is the base version of the game, arriving October 11th, 2016.

Gears of War 4: Standard Edition

The Standard Edition is the base version of the game, arriving October 11th, 2016.

Digital purchases of the Standard Edition come with Xbox Play Anywhere, which means Buy Once, Play Anywhere. When you purchase a digital copy of Gears of War 4 is on Xbox or PC, you’ll gain instant access to the game on both platforms at no additional cost. Any progression or content you acquire on one platform, including Season Pass and Gear Pack content, will also be available on both platforms regardless of where you buy.

Pre-order from the Xbox Store to get an exclusive Vintage Del Gear Pack -- featuring a Vintage Del character skin, emblem, two Vintage weapon skins and a special Vintage Del bounty -- as an added bonus for use in Gears of War 4. Pre-ordering digitally also provides instant access to the Gears of War: Ultimate Edition Character Pack for use in Gears of War: Ultimate Edition.

Available Editions: Physical and Digital

Gears of War 4: Ultimate Edition

Gears of War 4: Ultimate Edition comes with the Standard Edition, plus a bunch of extras for fans to sink their teeth into.

EARLY ACCESS:
Gears of War 4: Ultimate Edition is your gateway to Early Access to the game, allowing you to play from Friday, October 7th – four days before the release date. This applies to both Physical and Digital editions of the game.

SEASON PASS:
The Season Pass is your ticket to a bunch of extra perks:

Five exclusive digital items as part of the Vintage VIP Pack,
including the Vintage JD character skin, Vintage Gnasher and Dropshot weapon skins, Vintage JD Emblem and Vintage JD Bounty for extra XP.

Permanent DLC map ownership of over 24 additional maps (two per month for a year) for private play on dedicated servers for all competitive Versus modes and Horde.

Access to an exclusive ‘Developer Playlist’ where new maps, modes and features can be tested prior to broad release.

Six Gear Packs
which unlock special character and weapon skins and XP boosting bounties.

PHYSICAL EXCLUSIVE – STEELBOOK CASE:
Arm your games cabinet with a premium Steelbook Case for Gears of War 4.

DIGITAL EXCLUSIVE – Xbox Play Anywhere: Buy Once, Play Anywhere.
Whether your first digital purchase of Gears of War 4 is on Xbox or PC, you'll gan instant access to the game on both platforms at no additional cost. Any progression or content you acquire on one platform, including Season Pass and Gear Pack content, will also be available on both platforms regardless of where you buy.

XBOX STORE PREORDERS ONLY: An exclusive Vintage Del Gear Pack
-- featuring a Vintage Del character model, emblem, two Vintage weapon skins and a special Vintage Del bounty -- as an added bonus for use in Gears of War 4. Digital pre-orders gain instant access to the Gears of War: Ultimate Edition Character Pack for use in Gears of War: Ultimate Edition.

All pre-orders also come with the Brothers to the End Gear Pack.

Available Editions: Physical and Digital

Pre-Order Bonus: Brothers To The End Elite Gear Pack

The Brothers to the End Elite Gear Pack
is a new pre-order bonus included with Gears of War 4 that pays homage to some of the most beloved characters from the Gears of War universe, and extends the tradition of offering gold weapons to day one players.

The Brothers To The End Elite Gear Pack contains:

“Tomorrow Anya” Character -
Named after her famous words following the end of the Locust War (“Tomorrow Marcus. We finally have a tomorrow.”) Her appearance is based on her look in theGears of War 4television commercial, “Tomorrow,” where she was introduced as the mother of JD Fenix.

“Old Man Marcus" Character -
Featuring an older Marcus Fenix as unveiled in the E3 2016 media briefing demo. Twenty-five years after the Locust War, Marcus and the COG have long since parted ways. His facial hair has grown long and his COG regulation kit has been replaced with by civilian clothes.

“Zombie Dom” Character -
There's no keeping a good solider down, at least in the form of this character skin created as tribute to Marcus’ dearly departed best friend Dominic Santiago.

Gold Wave Lancer and Gnasher Weapon Skins -
Updated versions of the gold weapon skins awarded to the series’ most-dedicated day one players.

The Brothers To The End Elite Gear Pack is included with every edition of Gears of War 4, including the custom Gears of War 4 Limited Edition Xbox One S and our Gears of War 4 Lootcrate.

All new and current pre-order customers will also receive the Vintage Del Pack, which includes the Vintage Del character model and retailer-specific bonus items, including unique weapon skins.

See less See more
1 4
#29 ·
IGN has a 24 min play of horde mode:

Rainbow Six Siege has been scratching my horde itch for the past year. Hopefully Gears 4 brings me back to true horde.

I guess people like classes. I'm mixed on that. Like in Siege, I really only play 2-3 players because I can't stand the others. In previous Gears, I could play any character because they were all the same.

#30 ·
Gears of War 4 specs for PC.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/09...y-really-good-on-windows-10-more-info-shared/

The PC version of Gears of War 4 isn’t just a port, but it’s built ground up for Windows 10, with a development team in Vancouver working exclusively on it, so the developers expect it to be “really really good.”

All the textures in the game were authored in 4k, so they weren’t just uprezzed.

We also hear that, differently from Quantum Break, it wouldn’t be possible to port the game back to DirectX 11, as it’s built from the ground up for DirectX 12. Gears of War 4 is leveraging many of the benefits of the new API, and some of them are part of its core foundations.

The Windows 10 version will also have plenty of graphical options that you can “completely crank up.” The demo showcased at Gamescom had “almost everything “set to Ultra, so it’s possible to make the game look even better than that.

Last, but not least, we get more information on the hardware requirements released a while ago (that you can see below for reference), Minimum Spec is to run the game at 1080p, with single player at 30 FPS and multiplayer at 60. Recommended spec should be able to run the game at 1440p at 60 FPS, and Ideal spec is for 4K resolution.

#32 ·
Polygon has a good article on Gears 4 and even covers HDR:

http://www.polygon.com/2016/9/19/12966496/gears-of-war-4-pre-review

excerpts only regarding the HDR but lots of good stuff for the game in general:

Three weeks out, 14 hours in: pre-review impressions of Gears of War 4

HDR and 4K

Note: I played Gears of War 4’s campaign on both PC and Xbox One S, the former at a native 4K resolution and the latter in a special demo in HDR on a very, very expensive LG OLED television. The number of customization options on PC is, frankly ridiculous. It has everything you’d expect, from framerate settings to anti-aliasing options and ambient occlusion to less conventional options for PC. This includes the ability to enable the same dynamic rendering resolution tricks the Xbox One version uses, which will reduce the game’s rendering resolution when needed in order to maintain a consistent framerate.

Gears of War 4 looks stunning at 4K, especially up close on a computer monitor, but there’s something to be said for running the game on an HDR-capable television on an Xbox One S console. The difference in contrast and brightness in the game with and without is often jaw-dropping. The lightning arcing out of DBs when they’re chainsawed is a brilliant flash, and fire can be a little hard to look directly at for too long. It’s stunning, though I wonder if my eyes will get a little tired by it in practice.

HDR aside, Gears of War 4 still looks fantastic on Xbox One, and it may even set the visual benchmark for the console in the system’s fourth holiday on the market.

#33 ·
some more multiplayer and co-op details:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/...ine-lan-free-matchmaking-dlc-smooth-4k-on-pc/

First up: Gears of War 4 will be the first Xbox One game to support fully offline LAN play.

"Your setup in your basement will be totally fine," Fergusson told Ars Technica.

Additionally, for both online and LAN play, PC and Xbox players will be able to cross their platforms' streams and join up in any "cooperative" mode, which includes the two-player campaign, the "fight increasingly tough enemy waves" mode known as Horde, and battles against practice bots.

Fergusson confirmed that split-screen campaign play is coming to the PC—though we'll have to wait and see how that mode dings performance or whether other modes are restricted to a single player.

Here's how it will work: when new maps and content land in the game, The Coalition will update the default 10 to 12 maps that rotate in default online matchmaking.

If you want to sit down, pick an online mode, and automatically land in versus or co-op modes with other players, you'll never need to buy a DLC pack to be matched with every single other online player. If you want to load a "custom" match with friends and pick options like maps, weapons, and tweaks, on the other hand, you'll have to pay to choose any map other than the ten shipping in the game (which include nine brand-new maps and the longtime fan favorite Gridlock). So long as one player has the paid map, everyone else can join in for free.

#34 ·
anyone still remember Gears 3? I went back to it for a refresher and totally forgot all the strategies. How do I get the silverback in horde mode? Is it merely a matter of saving up enough money? I totally forgot. It's soooo bad how much I forgot the nuances of the game. The basics are there (but it did take a little bit for things like perfect reloading).

#35 ·
My wife and I just played two weeks ago. U have to save your money up so everyone just gives me all their earnings so I can get it after a few levels

#36 · (Edited)
I put in another hour after I wrote that message and it all started coming back. I swear the game runs faster and better on the One than the 360. Especially noticeable when u roadie run now. And those bad guys really run fast now. I had a hard time tracking them.

When I was at my peak in Gears 3, I could solo 20 waves on hardcore. Last night, I was dying at wave 8 on normal! I forgot about saving money and not building things right away. My movement was terrible but starting coming back.

#37 · (Edited)
Xbox One S Gears of War 4 Special Edition 500GB Console Bundle $299

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-one/co...-console-bundle-only-at-gamestop/136010#media

https://www.microsoftstore.com/stor...-S-Gears-of-War-4-Bundle/productID.5065782200

The Xbox One S Gears of War 4 Special Edition Bundle (500GB) includes:

• Xbox One S Deep Blue Special Edition 500GB console
  • Deep Blue Special Edition Xbox Wireless Controller
  • Gears of War 4 Standard Edition
  • 14-day Xbox Live Gold trial
  • HDMI cable
  • Power cable
  • For a limited time, free download of entire Xbox 360 Gears of War collection
Release date: 11/1/2016

#38 ·
http://www.windowscentral.com/gears-war-4-pre-loading-begins-windows-10-update-build-14393222-first

Gears of War 4 Windows 10 pre-loading begins, but you should update to build 14393.222 first

Windows 10 PC gamers who have pre-ordered Gears of War 4 from the Windows Store can now start pre-loading the sci-fi shooter on their hard drives ahead of the game's official launch. However, those gamers should update their Windows 10 version to the current 14393.222 cumulative build first.

Microsoft began rolling out the new build late on Thursday. In a post on the official Gears of War forums, developer The Coalition stated:

All Windows 10 players are strongly encouraged to download the new Windows update (September 29, 2016 – KB3194496) immediately before pre-downloading Gears of War 4. This update fixes an issue which could cause your game download to restart.

Pre-loading for the Windows 10 version of Gears of War will require 80GB of free storage space.

The Ultimate Edition of the game will unlock on October 7, and the regular edition will do the same on October 11. Buying the digital version of the game on Windows 10 will also let users get the Xbox One version for free, via Xbox Play Anywhere.

#39 ·
October 7th?!?! That is right around the corner!!

#41 ·
Downloaded and ready on my PC and Xbox systems for Friday. Damn I should have flexed Friday and Saturday to have a 4 day weekend.

#43 ·
I returned my white X1S for the deep blue Gears bundle and will be waiting until November 1st so I am anxious to hear the general feedback this weekend, especially for the PC version (please no spoilers ;)).
TIA,
- Jason

#45 · (Edited)
I got codes for the four previous Gears games. But I'm pretty sure I already had those games from before.

I see the Operations Gear pack too

I just redeemed it from my PC like I sometimes do, but I don't see anything on my XBOne one for the Operations Gear Pack. Usually something gets installed right away. But I don;t even see any mention of it when I go to managing Gears 4.

#48 ·
Look for it on your Xbox Messages. I received mine yesterday I got the previous Gears games the day before I got the Operator Pack yesterday. Haven't checked if I got it on my computer

Attachments

#47 ·
Isn't Gears 4 supposed to be HDR capable too? is HDR supposed to be available starting Friday when the game is first available to play?

#51 ·
85 on Metacritic so far. The only complaints I've read are about the pacing of the campaign and a lackluster ending. They all seem to love Horde 3.0 and MP, so I'm really looking forward to this. Can't wait to fire it up at 11 pm tonight. I really should have requested PTO for tomorrow...

#55 ·
Out for delivery!! Woo. I have not played GoW since 1 and have many fond memories of late nights playing TDM with some great guys form AVS and AGE. Hope I can find time to get back into the MP portion again and find some good guys to do some Horde and TDM with.

#57 ·
No Gears since 1??? Gears 2 was the best campaign and much more polished. Gears 1 was amazing for its time. But the cover system was really rough. Some things were so sticky. It was sometimes hard to tell whether you could use something for cover or not. And the AI was beyond bad (AI teammates dying meant repeating the level). Gears 3 was especially fantastic for horde mode.

#56 ·
I played through the prologue and the first four chapters of Act I last night. I thought the prologue was a perfect (re)introduction to the series and had some memorable (if brief) moments. Then you start Act I and slog through a generic army of robots. I'm assuming the campaign will pick up the pace soon, but it was a letdown after the prologue had me amped up for the rest of the game.

The game looks fantastic, and the gameplay/controls seem spot on to me. None of my friends list were playing last night, so I didn't try MP or Horde. Overall, I think the franchise is in good hands with the new developer, and I look forward to exploring everything this game has to offer.

#61 ·
Amazon just screwed over everyone who bought the ultimate edition. Reported at Polygon and other places. I just found out my delivery is now set for oct 10. They waited until it shipped before changing my shipping status. It had said to be delivered by 8 pm tonight. If they had told me earlier I would've canceled the order and gone elsewhere.

#62 ·
MONDAY? Yeesh!!!

I had read that earlier today...I was thinking some of you wouldn't get your copies today. That's BS. They would definitely get my copy back, if I was in that group.

The only saving grace, is...it's Amazon. They'll do something to make it up to their customers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.