Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Xbox One - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
1 2  3  ... Last
Xbox Area > Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Xbox One
onlysublime's Avatar onlysublime 01:34 PM 06-16-2015
Xbox Elite Wireless Controller

Pro-level customization for a competitive edge.

We set out to create a performance-class controller to meet the needs of today’s competitive gamers. Designed in collaboration with pro-level players, the Xbox Elite Wireless Controller unlocks your full potential and adapts to your unique style of play. Experience game-changing accuracy, faster speed, and a tailored feel unlike anything before.

Available October 2015
ERP: $149.99
plus tax where applicable
Retail prices may vary

You Tube

http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/16/878...ite-controller

The Xbox One Elite controller is a $150 piece of next-gen tech designed to outlast and outperform the standard controller.

The controller includes an array of magnetized thumbsticks, directional pads and paddles that can be instantly attached, detached and rearranged to create the sort of controller that feels designed for your hand and your specific needs. The idea was to create something that could stand up to the grueling gaming habits of the hardest of hardcore gamers, and also deliver the level of customization they've grown accustom to with specialized, third-party controllers.

"We designed this from the ground up," said David Prien, programming manager of the Elite Xbox One controller. "The first couple of months we didn't even start hardware, we went to people's houses. We went to pros, top leaderboard players and interviewed them, watched them play eight hours a day, asked them what that level of gaming needed.

What came out of that was a controller with three sets of thumbsticks, two types of directional pads and six paddles for the back of the controller, all of which are magnetized allowing for quick, tool-less assembly and reassembly.

The controller includes a standard directional pad and a multifaceted control pad which is a rounded, slightly curved pad designed to help players find the flow in special moves, like, say, delivering a dragon uppercut in Street Fighter.

"People seem to really like it," said Prien. "They like to roll with it."

The three thumbsticks include a standard one, a domed pair of thumbsticks and two tall thumbsticks designed for extreme precision control. On the back of the controller are four small holes that can each hold paddles. The paddles can be programmed to work for any input on the controller. The controller also has switches for both triggers, allowing you to turn the triggers into "hair triggers," or triggers with half the range of motion.

The new customization options for the controller don't end with hardware, it will also include an app that can run on the Xbox One and Windows 10, which adds a slew of customization options for the controller. The software will allow players to adjust the button functionality and sensitivity of the thumbsticks.

"The software allows you to change the sensitivity; horizontal and vertical, left and right sensitivity," he said. "You can do curves, by changing the sensitivity to be slight at the beginning and harder at the top. Imagine you're sniping, you can have it really sensitive when you're aiming in the distance, but when you hear someone behind you, you can peg the stick and it will turn around at regular speed."

You can also adjust the sensitivity of the triggers in both its regular and hair-trigger modes.
The controller has a new switch on the front of it that allows you to change between two programmed profiles, allowing for on-the-fly switching. The profiles are both saved in the controller's memory, Prien said, to eliminate any potential lag.

While the new controller offers a lot of ways to customize your experience, it doesn't give players using it an unfair advantage, Prien said.

The most obvious changes coming with the Xbox One Elite controller are the customizable buttons, paddles and triggers, but the team also put a lot of work into improving the overall quality of the controller too.

"There are a lot of quality improvements," he said. "The grips are a textured injected material, they're not glued on, they're formed on there. Most people wear out their thumbsticks. These thumbsticks have a second insert, a high density plastic, that won't wear. You take a steel part and put it on a low-friction resin and it won't wear out.

"The top pros, the biggest complaint they have is that they have to buy a new controller every four months because the thumbsticks wear out. First you won't need to do that because these won't and second, if they do the thumbsticks are replaceable."

The controller will come in a case with all of the parts placed in a formed piece of silicon, a USB cable and, perhaps a bit surprisingly, regular double A batteries, not a recharge kit.
Prien said they ship the controller with standard double A batteries to allow people to choose how that want to power the controller.

"Choices," he said when I asked. "People want choices."

The controller will support the charge kit from Microsoft, but not all third-party rechargeer kits will work with it, he said.

The controller isn't set for a launch until October but, Prien said, they wanted to start talking about it now because they feel like they have a lot of customer education to do.

onlysublime's Avatar onlysublime 01:48 PM 06-16-2015
You Tube

really good video:
Watch someone strip down and reassemble Xbox One's Elite Controller
http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/16/878...bWtZW75uklUf9B

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/0...-weve-held-it/

What has changed? A lot, and much more than the updated standard controller. For starters, this controller has four "paddle" buttons on the back, which replicate other normal buttons. They're reachable by middle and ring fingers—meaning Microsoft has finally replicated third-party offerings that let players keep their thumbs on the joysticks at all times.

The paddles are also removable and replaceable, as are the controller's d-pad and twin joysticks—meaning players can switch between concave and convex joystick tops to suit their preferences. The Elite controller will ship with a total of three joystick-head options, along with two lengths of paddle and two types of d-pad—and they'll all come in a handsome carrying case, which will also include a "high-speed" USB cable. Like the updated standard controller, the Elite controller also includes a 3.5 mm headset jack. It will also be compatible with Windows 10.

The heavier controller benefits from a soft-touch plastic paint top-coat—whose "two-shot process" of manufacturing supposedly means that none of its materials will fade in color—along with a new steel construction that, combined with a low-friction resin, guarantees a "zero wear" joystick. Microsoft engineers who spoke to Ars bragged that the "zero wear" claim was actually vetted by the company's legal brass.

The other major hardware difference is a "hair-trigger" dial that lets players adjust how far they must press on the two trigger buttons before the system recognizes the presses as full. But this little tweak is only the beginning of the Elite controller's crazy sensitivity options.

The Elite controller will launch with an app that players will use to make all kinds of controller adjustments, all of which will be saved to the controller's firmware. The most basic option is the ability to reassign controller buttons wherever a user desires—and because this change exists on the controller itself as opposed to within the console's settings, Microsoft engineers insist that this will reduce any lag issues caused by button reassignments. (If you're concerned about cheating, rest assured that the new controllers will not support any "macro" or button-combo options.)

This feature will probably be most useful with the new paddle buttons, as players may want to have different paddle-control options for various games—and the new Xbox controller app will support up to 255 custom button setups. Players can assign exactly two of those setups to their controller on the fly, which means they can toggle between those two during an active game session.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to test the new controller in any Xbox One games, but I did get to hold it for a while and pantomime gameplay. The added weight was enough to make the controller feel substantial, not uncomfortable, while the no-slip grip fit so nicely in my hands that I kinda wish Microsoft changed the default exterior for all of its controllers. I wasn't all that into the "dial" d-pad option, nor did I really want to switch from the current Xbox One pad's concave joystick tops, but those paddles, man—they sure feel cozy, and we can imagine getting at least the slightest bit better at a console FPS with one of those puppies at our disposal.
tampabuc 04:43 PM 06-16-2015
No logical reason for it, obviously geared towards PC gamers, but I simply must have one.

Reminds me of the Apple watch. How long before a gold-plated edition is available?
onlysublime's Avatar onlysublime 05:33 PM 06-16-2015
the ability to remap all the buttons sells this on me. templates drive me crazy.

one of the huge things going for Warframe is its PC heritage where it lets you map any button you want to any setting you want. Like for Halo, there were a couple templates that were good but just off a bit for me. I wished I could just adjust them a little bit to fit me better.
ch1sox's Avatar ch1sox 05:45 PM 06-16-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampabuc View Post
No logical reason for it, obviously geared towards PC gamers, but I simply must have one.

Reminds me of the Apple watch. How long before a gold-plated edition is available?
There's a very good logical reason for it. Lots of players already buy third party scuf controllers for first person shooters which is essentially what this is, and it's about the same price.
tampabuc 06:00 PM 06-16-2015
Yeah, don't get me wrong...

This is a must have, especially if you are in the market for a replacement or extra controllers anyway.

A gaming controller is something you will use almost everyday, for many years to come. Get the good one (at this price). Plus, this one will work on every console and PC in the house very soon. I just wish they would throw in the wireless Windows 10 adapter. Maybe they will surprise us by October.

I still just can't believe that the option for a "premium" console controller is even there at all, period. Totally unexpected, great surprise.
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt 12:11 PM 06-18-2015
To many options for me. I don't want that many options when deciding how to use a controller.
mboojigga's Avatar mboojigga 06:08 PM 06-18-2015
It should be clear this controller isn't for the everyday gamer. It was built for the professional tournament gamers. No regular gamer needs this controller. I don't need the controller, but I am getting one .
onlysublime's Avatar onlysublime 06:53 PM 06-18-2015
I'm getting it. Hate button templates. Miss the days of mapping all the buttons to my taste.

I also like the idea of restricting the hair triggers so the throw is short (Gears hammerburst, I'm looking at you!).

I don't know if I'll use the other features. I think the Xbox One controller is perfect. Except for the bumpers which are inconsistent from one controller to the next. I have 3 controllers and the bumper behavior is slightly different on each. My Day One controller is stiffer overall (buttons, sticks, etc.) than my Titanfall controller for example.

The optional triggers underneath sound cool (that you don't have to take your thumbs off the triggers), but I think I'll just end up hitting them by accident. That's what happens with my gaming mice that have 10+ buttons. I end up hitting buttons by accident.
Doug O's Avatar Doug O 07:02 PM 06-18-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampabuc View Post

Maybe this place will produce one for millionaire gamers:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/aliciaad...d-apple-watch/

I can see pro gamers and league gamers wanting something better than the regular controllers. Heck, I want one for precision movement on my PC and with these being Win 10 compatible, it's a no brainer. Gotta have one...
srw1000's Avatar srw1000 07:58 PM 06-18-2015
Man, I really like this controller. The price point is bit hard to swallow, though. I could see going up to $80, but this is nearly double that.

The design look well-thought out. I've been using the Avenger add-on products for years, and this shares some of those same types of features. The Avenger Reflex for the one was a real step backwards for me. The original product on the 360 controller was more flexible, and a better overall product. The redesign scrapped a lot of that, and feels like a cheap imitation.

That makes this product look all the more attractive. I think it'll be worth a gamble to me if the right sale comes along.

At the same time, I'll probably take a hard look at an extended warranty. I haven't had much luck with Xbox controller reliability.

Scott
clodhopper01's Avatar clodhopper01 12:37 PM 06-19-2015
This controller looks amazing. I usually like to cover mine in rubber silicone skins I get off Amazon. You can't do that with this one but it does have a grip surface on the handles. I'm thinking of changing my pre order of Black Ops III from PS4 to Xbox One just for this controller. As that's really the only game I play.
barrelbelly's Avatar barrelbelly 12:44 PM 06-19-2015
Wow! There is nothing about that controller I don't like. I haven't touched it yet. But When I finally buy my XB1 in August...I'm definitely getting this with it. Heck, I'd even buy that one alone just for my Windows 10 PC gaming. That controller with a Surface or Windows 10 phone has the potential to blow Shield out of the water with the integration moves they made with Xbox. I wonder do they plan to put a docking port on it for a phone. Or even put a small OLED screen on that cool case to give it Shield like features?
KLUNKDM's Avatar KLUNKDM 02:34 PM 06-19-2015
I love this controller. Very cool looking and lots of options. Now I don't really see why it would be beneficial for me to have it, but something in the back of my mind says "Buy It". I think it will just make me feel like I'm a Pro Gamer (Getting older and I need to think I'm still good). Also when my kid's older cousins come over, they will think I'm the coolest. But then we are back to fighting over who gets to use the controller.
Nabs17's Avatar Nabs17 05:09 PM 06-19-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post
It should be clear this controller isn't for the everyday gamer. It was built for the professional tournament gamers. No regular gamer needs this controller. I don't need the controller, but I am getting one .
This is so true...I'm a casual gamer...love to play just don't do it as much as I want. Have no idea why I want one of these but dammit...I'm getting one.
metalsaber's Avatar metalsaber 05:35 AM 06-20-2015
I may get one as well. I'm getting intrigued.
JudgeSmails's Avatar JudgeSmails 07:18 AM 06-23-2015
I'm getting one...and I am telling my kids to NEVER TOUCH IT. Little buggers are always dropping my controllers!
onlysublime's Avatar onlysublime 01:25 PM 06-23-2015
new video!

You Tube

The video shows Microsoft's David Prien talking about how the Elite controller is heavier than the standard Xbox One gamepad, due to the company adding steel parts to the Elite version. It also has a low-friction material place inside the top housing, so that the controller's analog sticks don't wear out as quickly in the hands of hardcore gamers.

The video also shows the Xbox Elite Wireless Controller's application for the Xbox One, which will allow owners to remap any button, trigger, bumper and gamepad. The controller can also save two different button profiles so gamers can switch from one to another for different game situations.

The video also shows the removable thumbsticks and D-pads on the controller so that gamers can have even more choices when it comes to customizing their controller layout.
tampabuc 11:48 PM 06-23-2015
I just preordered one of premium controllers from BestBuy. Should save about $10 with rewards points. Can't wait!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/microsof...&skuId=9529009

If interested, I saw the new and improved Spec Ops controllers in-store today as well ($65).
shepP's Avatar shepP 05:36 AM 06-25-2015
I wish they made a titanfall version. I like that game so much I'm about to buy my first theme peripheral every because of it.
kevin g.'s Avatar kevin g. 09:56 AM 06-25-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepP View Post
I wish they made a titanfall version. I like that game so much I'm about to buy my first theme peripheral every because of it.
You mean the Elite version? Because there was a limited edition Titanfall Controller...

I also loved that game. I just wish more people were still playing.
totalownership's Avatar totalownership 10:30 AM 06-25-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post
You mean the Elite version? Because there was a limited edition Titanfall Controller...

I also loved that game. I just wish more people were still playing.
How has the lobbies been? I haven't played it since Destiny to be honest but I really miss that game alot. I keep wanting to go back but dreading getting my butt handed to me during the inevitable re-adjustment period.
kevin g.'s Avatar kevin g. 02:08 PM 06-25-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalownership View Post
How has the lobbies been? I haven't played it since Destiny to be honest but I really miss that game alot. I keep wanting to go back but dreading getting my butt handed to me during the inevitable re-adjustment period.
Yeah, there's that...plus the only people that are playing are the "die-hards" that are completely levelled, etc...(same as if you went back to Gears 3 or BLOPS 2...getting drilled over and over ain't fun)

I go back every now and then just for a change of pace, and I can kinda hold my own, but I imagine any newbies are scared off after a few matches...
newfmp3's Avatar newfmp3 05:21 PM 06-28-2015
So, will this one actually work? as in past 15 feet? It'll be interesting to see if this one has the same range issues as the rest.
kevin g.'s Avatar kevin g. 06:56 AM 06-29-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post
So, will this one actually work? as in past 15 feet? It'll be interesting to see if this one has the same range issues as the rest.
This is a great question. I have the same concerns about the new 3.5 audio jack model. Are the insides different somehow? Most of what I have researched shows the issue is caused by the separate controller wifi card in the console. If that is indeed the case, the controller doesn't bring much to the party....
JudgeSmails's Avatar JudgeSmails 06:34 AM 06-30-2015
If you get a chance listen to the most recent Major Nelson podcast. He has a long interview with the creator of the controller and they go over many of the features. It really is impressive to hear how they built this and what it can do.
sirjonsnow's Avatar sirjonsnow 01:49 PM 06-30-2015
Titanfall has had a TON of 1st gen pilots on lately. Think it's a combo of the cheap price, end of school, and that EA thing.
Big Brad's Avatar Big Brad 02:55 PM 06-30-2015
So for the price of nearly three new games I can get this? No thanks. I don't have an issue with the normal controllers.

Now if they can gaurantee that this controller will last the life of the console without developing stick drift, then I would consider it. Chances are, stick drift will happen, it might just take a little longer.
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt 04:18 PM 06-30-2015
So what is stick drift? I don't recall ever having an issue with my 360 controllers. And I know I haven't had any problems with my XBOne 2013 controllers yet.
Big Brad's Avatar Big Brad 06:22 PM 06-30-2015
This is a perfect example of what stick drift is:
You Tube
. Now imagine trying to navigate an in game map with that going on (which I did in Fallout 3).

A lot of depends on how much you game, the types of games you play and how hard you are on your controllers. I'm not talking about getting mad and throwing them or putting them away by chucking them in a drawer but how hard you press those analog sticks when moving. I have a wired controller that I bought a week after the 360 launch in 2005 and it is basically unusable at this point. I went through 7-8 360 controllers in the lifetime of that console due to stick drift. I used to buy new parts and fix them, but I just got tired of doing that every 4-5 months, so I'd just buy a new one or pick up a few on sale.
1 2  3  ... Last

Up