AVS Forum banner

Elite Dangerous!

4K views 122 replies 13 participants last post by  srw1000 
#1 ·
Welcome to the Xbox One Elite Dangerous Thread CMDRS. I'm starting this so that fellows AVS members can have a centralized thread where we can help each other out. There is a PC related Thread that can be found here.

While this game is an Xbox title I am also posting the link for the Elite Dangerous Xbox One forum for more information. There should be some good info here and I know I don't know everything about this deep game.
Elite Dangerous Xbox One Forum

Reactions: srw1000
#2 · (Edited)
Tried the preview - honestly, I think No Man's Sky offers everything does plus much more. The default controls needed serious tweaking and there were a few controls I could not find in the menu. The in-game tutorials were pretty bad with minimal instruction.

I miss Descent back on PS1 - you could custom map every single control in the game and there were multiple HOTAS sticks you could use with the system. The ship also moved like it was in space, where you could drift while facing another direction, and not like a plane in atmosphere.

#4 ·
I think No Man's Sky is a different game all together with it being more of a fantasy based. Elite Dangerous has more realistic with the focus on just the Milky way Galaxy. I am hoping that when X1 gets the Win 10 upgrade that my Saitek sticks will be use able :). I am planning on getting No Man's Sky on PS4 since that is one I have been wanting since I first saw it. I have loved Elite Dangerous on the PC as well, and liking it on the X1 since now my son can play and have is own profile.

#3 ·
I tried the preview as well and I liked it. The controls did take a bit of getting used to but by the end of the trial period I was already pretty comfortable with them. I don't know how closely it will play to No Man's Sky but seeing as that game is still a ways off I'm leaning towards picking this up.

#8 ·
If the game follows the PC version which it should and I believe it does. The ship (sidewinder) you start out with is 100% covered with insurance. If you buy a new ship (I recommend keeping the sidewinder always) you will need to make sure you have enough funds afterwards to cover insurance costs if you lose it somehow. The only thing I am not liking on the game is managing multiple ships. I have one ship I use for hauling right now(16 cargo) which makes me some money and then my sidewinder. It's in a starport some 60-80 Light Years back from where I am at. I can only use it if I take my current ship back to that port. It would be nice if we could teleport our CMDRs for a small fee to the starports from ship to ship if we want to do multiple roles. Some ships are designed for dogfighting, cargo hauling and exploring.

#9 ·
I'm a bit pissed with my Xbox One. I had a good screen shot I took of the game when I was in the debug mode where my ship was in 3rd person. I had it where I was flying through a port ring and the planet for the back drop. For some reason I was able to set it for my background, but I have yet been able to find it where I can share it. I was going to post it on here, but no such luck :(

#15 ·
#16 ·
So is this a beta game on the Xbox One? IF so how do you access it?

#19 ·
Two things I wish this version would do for Xbox One. Allow Kinect voice and support the ASTRA Voice attack as seen in this perfect video usage below. I love the guys Accent as well. This would show how good Kinnect can be done with a game I believe.

Reactions: kevin g.
#27 ·
There is an already established story and the game is set far in the future, wars are raging between factions and sometime's you will happen upon a battle from what I understand. The manual does a better job generally explaining what's happening than the game does initially.

But yeah, there are no cut scenes to walk you along a pre-set path but that does not mean there are no goals. You are dropped into an already living environment that is literally the largest sandbox game ever, explore it :D

#38 ·
Really looking forward to that DLC.

I've only JUST finished my first mission, which was totally crazy due to my terrible flying skills. Nothing like getting chased out of a space station since I "loitered" due to my inability to first find the pad and then line up and land on it!

I'm trying out some mining and have a question - when I look to the right in my cockpit and see the raw materials I've picked up, there is what looks like an up arrow icon with a line below (almost like eject). Is this what I select to refine the materials?

Thanks,

-JR

#39 ·
I believe if you have a refiner on your ship once you pick up your materials it will start doing it for you. Not sure though since I have not tried it yet since not one of my ships are set for mining. Might try and set that up with my first ship though.

#47 ·
I've been having a blast playing this game, and so glad that I didn't judge it on the hour spent on the free preview. It does take some time to get used to the controls, but I'm docking in no time at all now, and have even taken up some bounty hunting tasks. The profit amounts really start to build up once you've raised your ranks. It's so tempting to trade slaves, but I continue to resist.

The Horizons expansion looks incredible, and will add so many more possibilities to the game. Really looking forward to that coming out on the One. Once that's available, I see this as being what I had hoped Destiny would have morphed into.

See you guys in space,

Scott

#48 ·
Alright, I faced my first ethical dilemma in the game. As mentioned above, I can't bring myself to trade slaves, even though that's where all the money is at. (Yes, I know some may consider moral trepidations about trading slaves to be absurd in a game, but it's just not something I want to dabble with.)

Anyway, I'm attacked by a pirate out in some system, so I blow his ship away. He leave some cargo behind, which I quickly scoop up. Well, among those cargo containers is one containing slaves. So, what does one do? I couldn't just let them float around in space, but I also don't want to trade slaves. Looking this up online, it appears that there isn't any way to free them once you've obtained them. I would consider this a flaw in the game, but it has gone unaddressed.

I ended up picking them up, docking at the nearest station, and then just releasing the cargo. I'm going to think that some kind station person released them from stasis, and they're now free to seek their fortune.

Yeah, I know, it's only a game.

But an involving one at that.

Scott

Reactions: Arutha_conDoin
#49 ·
Here are a few tips I picked up while playing the game:

• Ancient artifacts/experimental chemicals/black boxes/etc. can be obtained from anywhere, not just the origin given on a mission. This is very useful in stacking salvaged goods. I'll hunt for one type, and pick up anything I can find. Then I just stash them in the cargo hold until a mission to find them pops up, select it, and immediately turn it in. Sometimes that means and immediate 100K+ payout
  • Be careful using heat sinks when docking at a station. I'm still having a hard time with changing the weapon sets. A couple of nights ago, I approached a station while carrying illicit goods, hit the A button to cycle through to the heat sink, and fired one off. Something wasn't right though, and I ended up firing on the station. The result was almost instant destruction, and a dormant bounty that I can't do anything with for a week. I've seen some others mention this, so it may be a control issue that needs to be worked out before next month's final release
  • Don't nod off while fuel scooping. The game can be very relaxing. I've nodded off more than once next to a sun. Sure, it drops you out of super cruise, but it causes damage to the ship, and it takes forever to get enough distance from the sun to get back to super cruise
  • Outpost platforms are safe from authority scans, right? Not so fast. While the stations with internal docks almost always scan you during entry and exit, the platforms usually don't. That's not always the case, though. I was docked at one outpost a couple of days ago, and someone or something scanned me while docked. It may have been a passing authority ship. I don't really know, but it did cost me a fine of over 40K credits. Not fun
  • Pirates will bait you. Sometimes while you're hunting for salvage, you'll come across some gold or other cargo just floating there. It's a trap. You go to scoop it up and are swarmed on by pirates. You may be able to defeat them, but I've also found another option is just to float around, outside of their fire range, while deploying your weapons. Sometimes this is enough to discourage them, and they'll just fly off

Hope this may help some of you, and I'll post more if I think of any.

Great game,

Scott

#50 ·
Nice tips Scott. I knew the pirates will bait you. I also will not trade slaves.

I'm just a simple hauler dealing in whatever cheap runs I can do and occasional explorer.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

#53 ·
Man I don't care. I am on the PC version and I do those slave shipments and get to a port and boost my butt right into and wait at the very last moment to request docking.

#51 ·
Just a heads up that there's a new update available. I skimmed through the massive release notes, and it looks like there are a lot of corrections: sound, play, video, etc. It's a little over four gigs.

Major changes: A few new federal ships, rumble is now active for the controller, and the frame rate has been improved. Early word is that with the improved frame rate, there is now noticeable tearing. The developers are aware of this.

I'm still downloading the update, so can't offer an personal insight.

#52 ·
The rumble in the the controller is crazy! Love it. For some reason I never noticed planets revolving until after the update, was that always there?

I'd also never had a Federal ship tail me...part of the patch or just gameplay I hadn't experienced?

Great tips too...I found out about the bait the hard way. :(

-JR

#57 ·
In case anyone hasn't been keeping up, the official release is out now.

One very important change: when coming out of hyperspace or superspace, your ship will start accelerating. Evidently, this is how the PC version worked, and it was just a bug in the preview that put your ship at a stand still. It was quite a surprise the first time playing after the update to seem my cobra racing toward a quickly-growing star!

There were some other initial bugs, such as the mission payouts being miserably low, but most of that has been fixed now. One other remaining issue is the lights on the orbital stations not being correctly lit.

Scott

#58 ·
If you go to the graphics settings, then gamma setting, slide it a click either way, then back. Then hit apply and the lights will be back on. Temporary fix that I believe you have to do on each boot up. I have only played once since full release and it does work.

#62 ·
Which AI are you talking about @JuiceRocket? I have not tried Wing and COOP yet on PC. I usually just do solo mode and Haul or explore. I am thinking of just setting up my Xbox One as a Explore game and keeping my PC as hauler/trader account. This way I get two different play styles. Plus with a 60" screen I can see a bit more as a Explorer :) Now to figure out which ship I want to go with and start getting things setup.

#63 ·
I was under the impression the AI was the voice chatting with you in this video? Although a voice speaks to you in the Xbox One version, I wasn't aware that it would respond to voice commands - like throttling up - raising turning the engine on - etc. Does that work on the XBox One version as well?

I started off mining, but found it just a tad bit slow for me. I've moved over to more of a...smuggler...so I'm still pretty awful at combat. I like to think I'm a big like Hans Solo, a smuggler with a conscience!

-JR

#64 ·
#70 ·
When you start this game, do you always start in the same place/sector/station? I have a friend who's buying it and we want to play together at the start (coop). I looked around but couldn't tell where people begin the game. If it's far from where I currently am, I'll want to start working my way back to that location. Just don't know where the location is! :)

-JR

#71 ·
Yea, you will start where you leave off. I have never tried to leave the game on a long jump where I'm still flying. I always go to a spaceport and call it quits.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

#72 ·
Shoot - I meant when you start the game do you start in the same place or is it random placement? As in, do all new players start the game at Station X for example?

On a side note, I received the patch late last night (11:30pm PST or so), but the Frontier servers where down and I couldn't play. I'm at work and can't check if they're up, did anyone else have an issue yesterday - any idea if they're back up?

-JR

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.