Xbox One 5.1 Uncompressed Sound Loss - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By tsaville

post #1 of 23 Old 07-22-2015, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Xbox One 5.1 Uncompressed Sound Loss

Hey everyone, I just purchased a Vizio 5.1 system from best buy, model #SB3851-C0M, for use with my xbox one gaming/blu-ray/Netflix watching. The sound bar has HDMI inputs so I connected an hdmi from the xbox directly to the sound bar, and another hdmi from the sound bar to the tv to pass on the video signal (my tv doesn't support ARC). I read ahead of time that using hdmi and 5.1 uncompressed was the best possible audio for the xbox one (excluding 7.1). So, I selected 5.1 uncompressed under hdmi audio output, and noticed immediately that at the home screen, switching tiles would sometimes miss playing the sound altogether or sound like it lagged behind. Next, I went to run the kinect audio set up test, and noticed that the last three sections where it plays sounds to recognize were completely silent... I switched the output to bitstream and DTS and it fixed both of these problems immediately. I also think playing Tomb Raider sounded better through my system with DTS than 5.1 uncompressed, but I haven't had much time to test it out. Just looking for any possible solutions or to see if anyone is having similar problems. Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 07-22-2015, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

Update: I tested 5.1 vs DTS by watching an interstellar trailer off of the blu ray disc, and 5.1 uncompressed is playing no voice at all, while DTS plays everything fine
post #3 of 23 Old 07-22-2015, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Does the soundbar have some kind of "info" or "display" button that can report what kind of audio it is actually receiving?

That kind of sounds to me like the Xbox One is actually set to 2 channel uncompressed, or that your soundbar can't accept a multichannel PCM signal.

My basement media room and bar
Epson 2030, Onkyo TX-NR626, and Kodi based system

Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #4 of 23 Old 07-22-2015, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

The vizio sound bar has a LED that lights up orange when it receives a DTS signal or white when it receives Dolby Digital, both work fine. However, when I tell the xbox to send 5.1 uncompressed the sound bar LED doesn't light up either color.
post #5 of 23 Old 07-22-2015, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post
Does the soundbar have some kind of "info" or "display" button that can report what kind of audio it is actually receiving?

That kind of sounds to me like the Xbox One is actually set to 2 channel uncompressed, or that your soundbar can't accept a multichannel PCM signal.
The vizio sound bar has a LED that lights up orange when it receives a DTS signal or white when it receives Dolby Digital, both work fine. However, when I tell the xbox to send 5.1 uncompressed the sound bar LED doesn't light up either color.
post #6 of 23 Old 07-22-2015, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Check this thread started at this post - it looks like the sound bar doenst actually support multi channel LPCM:

Vizio SB3851-C0 38-Inch 5.1

post #7 of 23 Old 07-22-2015, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 277
I think it's pretty uncommon for any soundbar in this price range to support lossless audio formats. Given the quality of the gear, I doubt you'd hear any meaningful difference between lossy/lossless anyway. If it sounds good to you with bitstream/DTS, just enjoy it.
pittsoccer33 likes this.
post #8 of 23 Old 07-22-2015, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

I see what u mean. That is the older model though, I just got the updated 38 inch bar with HDMI in/out, so I didn't think it would have any problems handling 5.1 uncompressed as they flaunt this update as allowing the highest possible audio quality. Just wondering if its something with my xbox or if the two just don't get along or that the sound bar just can't handle 5.1 uncompressed.
post #9 of 23 Old 07-22-2015, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaville View Post
I think it's pretty uncommon for any soundbar in this price range to support lossless audio formats. Given the quality of the gear, I doubt you'd hear any meaningful difference between lossy/lossless anyway. If it sounds good to you with bitstream/DTS, just enjoy it.
Just wondering, how can you tell if a soundbar supports lossless audio? I thought HDMI in/out meant lossless was supported. Is there a specific symbol to look for, etc? Sorry I'm new to home theater.
post #10 of 23 Old 07-23-2015, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Having HDMI connects doesnt necessarily mean anything. Sony has released receivers where hdmi couldnt even carry audio, then they released models that couldnt decode hd audio.

I looked through the manual for that on the Vizio site and it doesnt list any supported audio formats. But normally for equipment like this that would be on a spec list.

post #11 of 23 Old 07-24-2015, 02:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked: 1096
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaville View Post
My Sony soundbar from 2008 around that price handled up to 96Khz, 24bit 7.1 PCM. I'm still amazed that in 2015 it's still not common for soundbars to accept this. Sony Sound Bars have always seemed to be way ahead of the other manufacturers.

And The one I got several years ago, in the $200's, even decodes all of the adavnced audio codecs. Along with still having three HDMI inputs like my 2008 Sony Soundbar has.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #12 of 23 Old 07-25-2015, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter

Oddly enough, I think it may support 5.1 PCM but the xbox or sound bar don't like each other or have a current bug. Everytime I set the xbox one to 5.1 uncompressed, unplug the hdmi running from the xbox into the sound bar, and plug it back in, it seems that 5.1 uncompressed works fine as I hear all speakers playing sound and the center playing voice, but as soon as I restart the xbox or change the settings to bitstream then back, 5.1 no longer works correctly. Very odd, for the time being I'll stick with bitstream DTS as I have no problems with it. Question, if xbox one was to update and support DTS HD or Dolby HD over bitstream, would that would as a form of flawless audio for me?
post #13 of 23 Old 07-25-2015, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Ciasullo View Post
Oddly enough, I think it may support 5.1 PCM but the xbox or sound bar don't like each other or have a current bug. Everytime I set the xbox one to 5.1 uncompressed, unplug the hdmi running from the xbox into the sound bar, and plug it back in, it seems that 5.1 uncompressed works fine as I hear all speakers playing sound and the center playing voice, but as soon as I restart the xbox or change the settings to bitstream then back, 5.1 no longer works correctly. Very odd, for the time being I'll stick with bitstream DTS as I have no problems with it. Question, if xbox one was to update and support DTS HD or Dolby HD over bitstream, would that would as a form of flawless audio for me?
Do you have another Blu Ray player, that you can eliminate the One, and test HD codecs to the sound bar?

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #14 of 23 Old 07-25-2015, 08:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

It should be flawless with 7.1 pcm
post #15 of 23 Old 08-01-2015, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

why 7.1 pcm if i have a 5.1 system?
post #16 of 23 Old 08-01-2015, 05:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Ciasullo View Post
why 7.1 pcm if i have a 5.1 system?
Flawless with 5.1 pcm then

LED DLP
post #17 of 23 Old 08-05-2015, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

I just spoke with Vizio support and they said that the sound bar model I have "SB3851-C0M" supports 5.1 uncompressed audio, so I'm worried that the problem is either with my xbox, it's software, or maybe with the sound bar itself. Are they any ways I can test this and find out which part is the problem? I have another blu ray player I can connect to the sound bar but how will I know what type of signal its sending and if its playing correctly? Thanks guys!
post #18 of 23 Old 08-05-2015, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

In your bluray player audio settings there is probably an option to choose between bitstreaming vs decoding to LPCM.

post #19 of 23 Old 08-05-2015, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
In your bluray player audio settings there is probably an option to choose between bitstreaming vs decoding to LPCM.
Ok I hooked up a blu ray player and set it to PCM 5.1 and the sounder seemed to play everything fine. I switched back to my xbox and it sounded normal too, but I realize as soon as I turn the sound bar off and then back on, the 5.1 uncompressed loses voice and other sounds until I unplug and replug in the HDMI, but this process happens every time I turn off the sound bar....
post #20 of 23 Old 08-05-2015, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

go into your xbox settings and go to the display section.

is your tv connection set to hdmi (auto-detect) or hdmi?

i bet if you dont use auto-detect and force select hdmi you will have more luck. i had a similar problem forcing the xbox to spit out audio it didnt think the rest of my system could support.

post #21 of 23 Old 08-06-2015, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
go into your xbox settings and go to the display section.

is your tv connection set to hdmi (auto-detect) or hdmi?

i bet if you dont use auto-detect and force select hdmi you will have more luck. i had a similar problem forcing the xbox to spit out audio it didnt think the rest of my system could support.
Yeah I actually read something about that earlier and made sure to turn off auto and just select HDMI 1080p but that doesn't seem to make a difference. Was there any other settings I should be aware of that could effect this type of thing? Becoming such a pain to worry about that I may just be satisfied with bitstream DTS, it still sounds damn good coming from tv speakers to 5.1, not to mention for a 300 dollar system I'm not sure I would really hear a difference between uncompressed and not. Lmk what u guys think. I appreciate the help!
post #22 of 23 Old 08-06-2015, 08:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Since it's only 5.1 and if that's the only way you can get it to work properly then you might as wll do it. I only know with my Sony soundbars I've never had an issue. But with those I feed them 7.1 PCM. And they are always on when anything is being watched on the TVs.

LED DLP
post #23 of 23 Old 08-14-2015, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I have a bose cinemate 130 soundbar.
I use 5.1 for my sound setting. When ever I watch / stream MLB games with MLB.TV app, i get no sound at all.
If I choose bitstream, I get sound. This only happens with this damn app. I'm thinking maybe I should just use bitstream for everything seeing how many don't hear a difference. It is definitely annoying having to always switch in order for me to hear a baseball game.

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV  || Denon AVR-2113CI || Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts) || Polk Monitor 50's (Rears) || Polk CS2 (Center) || Acoustech PL-200

Xbox Live : BoDEAN96 -- Feel free to add me (msg me you are from AVSForums) and we can game.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page