Hauppauge Digital TV Tuner for Xbox One and overscanning - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By henrockit

post #1 of 4 Old 11-09-2015, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Unhappy Hauppauge Digital TV Tuner for Xbox One and overscanning

Hi, I just purchased the "Hauppauge Digital TV Tuner for Xbox One" and it's generally working but the picture is cropped.

I live in Vancouver, Canada and get seven OTA Digital channels here crystal clear. I have a Terk FDTV2A powered digital antenna. When I connect this antenna directly to my TV (Toshiba 50" 2012 model: 50L2200U) via the coax connection terminal on the back of the TV then everything works perfectly and there's no overscanning or picture cropping.

When I connect this antenna to the Hauppauge Digital TV Tuner for Xbox One and watch through my Xbox HDMI Out on my TV then the edges of the video image are cropped. I can only see part of the TV station logo at the bottom left or right corners of the screen. When I watch hockey games then the box score in the top left corner is completely off the screen! So, this really sucks.

I've tried playing with the the TV's picture format settings, like switching to 4:3 ratio or various Theater modes but all result in less image than with the default Native mode. And, according to my TV's manual, no overscanning occurs with Native mode so that would mean that the Xbox One must be passing through a scaled image from the Hauppauge tuner to the TV via HDMI.

Probably unrelated but, I also have a Windows 7 Media PC connected to the Xbox One HDMI-IN which is passed through the Xbox to my TV perfectly... no cropping on that 1080p signal at all. Occasionally, when I switch from Hauppage Tuner TV channels to the HDMI pass through from the media PC (using the Xbox One Guide), then I'll see the image overscanned for a moment but then resize to become fully displayed. So clearly something is working properly there.

Has anyone else got their Hauppauge Xbox One tuner working perfectly with no cropping?

Is there any solution to my problem? Does anyone even know what my problem is?

Thanks for any advice! I'm stumped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-10-2015, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Thumbs up image cropped solved via Xbox One TV menu!

I just got a response from Hauppauge technical support that solved my problem!

The issue was with the Xbox One TV / pass-through app modifying the picture. But you can change how the Xbox One handles the picture pass-through by pressing the menu button on the Xbox controller (small button with three horizontal lines) while you're watching TV.

That will bring up an Xbox One TV overlay menu on top of the picture with a series of menu options (Settings, OneGuide, Display Mode, and Help).

Select "Display Mode" and change it to "Native" (as opposed to "Stretch" or "Zoom"). Then, voila! It shows the full 1080p video picture!

Hope someone else find this useful. I have no idea how my TV setting got off Native.
onlysublime and moej like this.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-10-2015, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Good tip!

I'm surprised the Xbox Support page doesn't have that tip (though I never thought of looking for something like this so it might be there and buried).
post #4 of 4 Old 06-25-2016, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Okay, just got the Hauppauge Xbox TV tuner and it says NTSC / ATSC / QAM HD TV on the external casing. Does that mean you can feed a Clear QAM cable and get basic cable to it? I thought the device was OTA only. I cut the cable so it doesn't really matter to me but some friends were asking and I don't know what to say. Would be terrible to recommend it and then it doesn't work for them.
Anyway, it's working great! Much much better integration with OneGuide and faster also (than my old Homeworx device). OneGuide has come a long way from when the One first came out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Tags
xbox hauppauge overscanning digital tuner

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page