Xbox One Backwards Compatibility Xbox 360 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 42Likes

post #1 of 155 Old 11-14-2015, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 844 Post(s)
Liked: 1410
Xbox One Backwards Compatibility Xbox 360, Original Generation Xbox

• I thought it'd be better to have a thread than bury it in the general discussion.
Information regarding backward compatibility:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/b...-compatibility

Total Available Games list:
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/b...vailable-games

Major Nelson's Backward Compatibility list:
http://majornelson.com/blog/xbox-one...compatibility/

Complete List (ongoing updates)

Spoiler!

Titles for the initial release (will be updated):
Spoiler!

Titles Added After Initial Release

Spoiler!
Spoiler!

http://news.xbox.com/2016/01/21/xbox...ility-january/

January 21, 2016

Starting today, we’ll release titles as they become available, rather than a set monthly launch date. What this means for you is that you won’t have to wait to find out the latest titles; we’ll release whatever is available, when they’re available, once each title has received the engineering and publisher stamp of approval.

Also, we’ll be creating a dedicated page for Xbox One Backward Compatibility on Xbox Wire – http://news.xbox.com/BackwardCompatibility. Here, you’ll find content such as roundups of Xbox One Backward Compatibility titles recently released, as well as spotlight stories on popular titles added to the program. You’ll also still be able to find the full list of titles in our catalog at Xbox.com/BackCompat and MajorNelson.com.

We hope these changes give you even more opportunity to relive some of your favorite Xbox 360 titles on Xbox One. As always, we look forward to hearing your feedback.

A game we’re really excited about is CD Projekt RED’s critically acclaimed title, The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings. Players assume the identity of Geralt of Rivia, a professional monster slayer, or witcher, as he becomes entangled within the political turmoil that has engulfed Temeria while hunting down a treacherous assassin. Featuring an intense and emotionally charged, non-linear story and using your skills with the sword and magical abilities, experience the complex and expansive adventure that leads up to the events of 2015’s award winning The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. And that’s not all.

Xbox One and Xbox 360 owners in select regions** can download the title for free on Xbox.com anytime between now and February 5.

Don’t see one of your favorite Xbox 360 titles that you want to play on Xbox One? Keep voting at Xbox Feedback. We’re continuing to work with our publishing partners to grow our library of Xbox One Backward Compatibility titles. Stay tuned for more.

*Games and availability subject to change. Title availability varies by region.

**Free download of The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is available in the U.S., Canada, United Kingdom, France and Germany. The giveaway is from January 21 (6 a.m. PST) through February 5 (12 a.m. UTC).

Xbox 360 games from the disc

Backwards compatibility runs on a Xbox 360 software emulator. When you insert a compatible Xbox 360 disc, an icon for the game will appear in the Xbox One recent apps list, below the main tile. The game will then install to your hard drive, using the disc for license verification. Once complete, you can boot up the game as you would normally either via the recent apps list on the dashboard or your installed games list - found at the bottom of the main dashboard menu.

Digital Xbox 360 games

To access games you've purchased digitally, they'll appear in your games list on the far right under "Ready to Install". The only way to get to this area is to scroll all the way across to the right. Select a title by hitting the A button, you'll then be prompted to confirm installation. Once installed, it'll appear in your games list ready to play.

Purchasing new Xbox 360 games for backwards compatibility

As of writing, there's sadly no way to purchase backwards compatible Xbox 360 games via the Xbox One itself. They won't appear in Xbox One search results, and there's no section dedicated to it on the store. If you want to pick up any of the games on the list you don't already own digitally, your best bet is to head to the Xbox Store and do a quick search. Alternatively, you can always purchase the discs from retailers.

Using the Xbox 360 emulator

The Xbox 360 emulator on the Xbox One functions a little differently to the 360 itself. Naturally, you can't access the 360 dashboard - the emulator behaves as if you're running a game.
Pressing both the View and Menu buttons (perhaps more commonly known as Start and Select) on the Xbox One controller will open up the Xbox 360 guide when you're inside a backwards compatible game. You can access some basic settings using the guide, including online status and notifications. You can also configure your cloud saves by going to the storage option.

If you want to bring your Xbox 360 save files over to your Xbox One some of you might want to continue playing saves stored on your 360. If you have an Xbox Live subscription, you can upload the your save files to your personal cloud via your Xbox 360's storage menu, they should then appear as part of the save files when running the game in the Xbox One emulator. Note that cloud saves only upload once you've exited a game, so give it a little while. You can check the sync status using the storage menu, found in the Xbox 360 guide.

While in the emulator, you can use most Xbox One system functions, such as game DVR, Twitch streaming, screenshots and Xbox One party chat. Xbox 360 games on Xbox One behave almost exactly like regular Xbox One games, so be sure to start sharing those clips!

The Future

As mentioned, Mike Ybarra from the Xbox platform team stated they hope to have a monthly release cadence for new backwards compatible titles. It'll ultimately depend on publishers and IP holders whether or not those games get included, but you can make your requests heard on the official Xbox One UserVoice page. Microsoft is also working to solve issues with games that are spread across multiple discs, such as Lost Odyssey and Mass Effects 2 and 3.

http://www.xboxachievements.com/news...x-360-Too.html

Your Xbox One is Now a Region-Free Xbox 360 Too

Hello achievement friends! I have some good news for you. With the recent "New Xbox One Experience" and "Backward Compatibility" updates that launched on Thursday, something extra magical has happened: Xbox One has now become a region-free Xbox 360 for the applicable backcompat titles. This means that if a game on the backcompat program has more than one achievement list due to a regional "stack," you can now import the other version(s) and use them on your Xbox One without issue. Previously, you'd be required to purchase an entirely new console that matched the game's region (NTSC, PAL, or NTSC-J) to play games outside of your home region. No longer! What's more: you only have to buy any DLC once. If you own the Borderlands DLC on your home account, it will work with any version of the game.

Currently there are five games of the initial 104 that have "stackable" achievement lists. You can play Japanese versions of Borderlands, Gears of War 2, and Just Cause 2, the German version of Rainbow Six Vegas 2, and the European version of Wolfenstein 3D. As more games are added to the backcompat program, likely more stackable versions will be playable as well.

Xbox One has now added backwards compatibility for games for the original generation Xbox. Xbox boss Phil Spencer took to the stage during Microsoft's E3 2017 media briefing to announce Crimson Skies as the first OG Xbox game to come to Xbox One. Spencer said OG Xbox games will run better on Xbox One, as you'd expect. The service rolls out later in 2017. More details to come...

Not every game will work — Microsoft has to add specific support for each game and the list of titles will be limited at first — but getting access to the supported games sounds pretty easy. Those Xbox discs you have? You can play them. Those games you purchased via Xbox Live back in the day? They will work. You will be able to link three generations of Xbox systems, and that’s pretty wild.

And most impressively, you’ll be able to play local multiplayer for old Xbox titles through system link, which will support all three generations of Microsoft’s consoles. That’s right, you’ll be able to to play supported games at a LAN party by wiring up an Xbox to an Xbox 360 to an Xbox One.

Go to 10:12 mark for details on OG Xbox (original generation) compatibility.
DaverJ and Cndctrdj like this.

Last edited by onlysublime; 08-09-2017 at 10:20 PM. Reason: additional content
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 155 Old 11-14-2015, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

So far, from my games list, Fable II, Lode Runner, and Hexic HD are not showing up as "ready to install" even though I own them digitally on the 360. If anyone has tips on what to do, I'll listen.
post #3 of 155 Old 11-14-2015, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post
So far, from my games list, Fable II, Lode Runner, and Hexic HD are not showing up as "ready to install" even though I own them digitally on the 360. If anyone has tips on what to do, I'll listen.
Was Hexic HD pre-installed on the 360 when you got it? I know mine was (launch day), and it doesn't show up on my "ready to install" list. Maybe try going to your purchase history on XBOX.com and adding them to your 360 download queue.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo

post #4 of 155 Old 11-14-2015, 09:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1295 Post(s)
Liked: 3690
Quote:
Those three show as "Already purchased" on Xbox.com's Marketplace under the downloads section?

So far I haven't found any game I own digitally that isn't showing up

-
"My advice: don't spend money on therapy. Spend it in a record store." – Wim Wenders
post #5 of 155 Old 11-14-2015, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, when I browse to the game on Xbox.com, it shows purchased and if I want to redownload it to the 360.

I tried with Lode Runner to redownload it (click on it on Xbox.com). On the One, still won't show up as ready to install.
post #6 of 155 Old 11-15-2015, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1295 Post(s)
Liked: 3690
Quote:
I tried with Lode Runner to redownload it (click on it on Xbox.com). On the One, still won't show up as ready to install.
That's strange. Apologies for a basic theory, but have you done a hard reboot? While the console is on, hold the lit Xbox button on the front of the console for 5 seconds.

Doubt it would work, but at least rules an update out. btw, that Lode Runner game looks pretty cool. I hope that becomes a freebie soon.
onlysublime likes this.

-
"My advice: don't spend money on therapy. Spend it in a record store." – Wim Wenders
post #7 of 155 Old 11-15-2015, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Had to do a hard reboot when I got the "pressing A doesn't work" problem. Has happened a few times with the windows 10 dashboard since the beginning (am a preview member). That problem still hasn't been fixed. Lode Runner is awesome! Nobody to play it with though (it does have puzzles that are co-op only). You can wait forever and never seen anyone in the lobby.
post #8 of 155 Old 11-15-2015, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I had a few titles that did not show up either. Fire up your 360, go into Games, then on each title select Game Details. From that screen, you should see an option to Play on Xbox One. After I did that, the games showed up on my One under Ready to Install.
DaverJ and onlysublime like this.

Last edited by Rage Guy; 11-15-2015 at 11:13 AM.
post #9 of 155 Old 11-15-2015, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rage Guy View Post
I had a few titles that did not show up either. Fire up your 360, go into Games, then on each title select Game Details. From that screen, you should see an option to Play on Xbox One. After I did that, the games showed up on my One under Ready to Install.
No dice. Still won't show up. I'll try it again next weekend. Time to get some actual gaming in...

Hmm.. I just thought of this. I actually disconnected the One to hook up the 360 (too lazy to run another HDMI cable to the back of the TV). I should've tried this with both the 360 and the One on at the same time.
post #10 of 155 Old 11-17-2015, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

http://www.xboxachievements.com/news...x-360-Too.html

Your Xbox One is Now a Region-Free Xbox 360 Too

excerpts:

With the recent "New Xbox One Experience" and "Backward Compatibility" updates that launched on Thursday, something extra magical has happened: Xbox One has now become a region-free Xbox 360 for the applicable backcompat titles. This means that if a game on the backcompat program has more than one achievement list due to a regional "stack," you can now import the other version(s) and use them on your Xbox One without issue. Previously, you'd be required to purchase an entirely new console that matched the game's region (NTSC, PAL, or NTSC-J) to play games outside of your home region. No longer! What's more: you only have to buy any DLC once. If you own the Borderlands DLC on your home account, it will work with any version of the game.
post #11 of 155 Old 11-17-2015, 04:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 262
And this means what?

Is it region free or not region free? Who cares that a handful of games that have separate achievement lists by region yet are still the same game, apparently work out of region and presumably allow the achievement fanatics to earn the same things all over again? Does it go past that?

The interesting possibility here are titles that were never released in North America that are region locked and titles that had retail releases overseas but were digital exclusives here in North America. Yet that article makes it sound like so called "stackable" titles are all that apparently works.

Given this article, I presume the latter at the very least works. But I'd love to hear if I could insert a BC disc from overseas that didn't even get a digital release in North America and still download it off their North American servers if it ever joined the BC list in another region.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 01-25-2016 at 02:23 AM.
post #12 of 155 Old 12-17-2015, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 835
The next list of backward compatible titles were released.

Braid
DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION
Doritos Crash Course
Fable III
Halo: Reach
Hydro Thunder
Iron Brigade
Kane & Lynch 2
Motocross Madness
MS.PAC-MAN
Peggle
Portal: Still Alive
Spelunky
Splosion Man
Ticket to Ride™
Zuma’s Revenge!

http://majornelson.com/2015/12/17/he...inkId=19664493
DaverJ and Poolshark69 like this.
post #13 of 155 Old 12-17-2015, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 248
I wish they'd make COD4 backwards compatible.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #14 of 155 Old 12-17-2015, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Gotta get Alan wake on there
robklem likes this.
post #15 of 155 Old 01-21-2016, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Titles added on January 21 2016:

• The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
  • Sam & Max Save the World
  • Aegis Wing
  • Counter-Strike: GO
  • Age of Booty
  • Space Giraffe
  • Soulcalibur
  • Skullgirls
  • Jeremy McGrath’s Offroad
  • Small Arms

http://news.xbox.com/2016/01/21/xbox...ility-january/

January 21, 2016

Starting today, we’ll release titles as they become available, rather than a set monthly launch date. What this means for you is that you won’t have to wait to find out the latest titles; we’ll release whatever is available, when they’re available, once each title has received the engineering and publisher stamp of approval.

Also, we’ll be creating a dedicated page for Xbox One Backward Compatibility on Xbox Wire – http://news.xbox.com/BackwardCompatibility. Here, you’ll find content such as roundups of Xbox One Backward Compatibility titles recently released, as well as spotlight stories on popular titles added to the program. You’ll also still be able to find the full list of titles in our catalog at Xbox.com/BackCompat and MajorNelson.com.

We hope these changes give you even more opportunity to relive some of your favorite Xbox 360 titles on Xbox One. As always, we look forward to hearing your feedback.

A game we’re really excited about is CD Projekt RED’s critically acclaimed title, The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings. Players assume the identity of Geralt of Rivia, a professional monster slayer, or witcher, as he becomes entangled within the political turmoil that has engulfed Temeria while hunting down a treacherous assassin. Featuring an intense and emotionally charged, non-linear story and using your skills with the sword and magical abilities, experience the complex and expansive adventure that leads up to the events of 2015’s award winning The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. And that’s not all.

Xbox One and Xbox 360 owners in select regions** can download the title for free on Xbox.com anytime between now and February 5.

Don’t see one of your favorite Xbox 360 titles that you want to play on Xbox One? Keep voting at Xbox Feedback. We’re continuing to work with our publishing partners to grow our library of Xbox One Backward Compatibility titles. Stay tuned for more.

*Games and availability subject to change. Title availability varies by region.

**Free download of The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is available in the U.S., Canada, United Kingdom, France and Germany. The giveaway is from January 21 (6 a.m. PST) through February 5 (12 a.m. UTC).
DaverJ likes this.
post #16 of 155 Old 01-21-2016, 10:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Does anyone know if you can get the free gold 360 games "pushed" to your Xbox One through the use of the Smartglass app?

I tried and the app connected to my machine but there was no purchase option available. The store is available through the app, but I couldn't get the game in my ready to be installed queue until I went through the Microsoft website, which is kind of a pain in the ass.
post #17 of 155 Old 01-22-2016, 01:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 262
That latest list is a bit of a dud. Some good games, but nothing in most people's top tier of 360 classics.

And compared to some past lists where it seemed like I owned 1/3 of the titles or more, only 2 of these are on my 360 (The underrated but barebones Aegis Wing that was a 360 freebie and Jeff Minter's Space Giraffe).
post #18 of 155 Old 01-27-2016, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Left 4 Dead 2!!! Go get it!!!

http://www.winbeta.org/news/left-4-d...-compatibility

Valve’s hit game Left 4 Dead 2 has been one of the most-wanted Backward Compatible titles ever since compatibility for Xbox 360 titles on the Xbox One was first announced at E3 last year. At one point receiving over 64,000 votes on the Xbox Feedback webpage, the game is now finally officially available for some to download onto Xbox One consoles.

There has not been any official announcements for the release just yet, and I myself have not been able to download the game, but many on Twitter have already downloaded the game to their Xbox One systems. If an official annoucment does come soon, however, it will not be a surprise. Earlier this week Microsoft announced that they would be rolling out Backward Compatible games as they become available rather than releasing a monthly catalogue.

andy A and sage11x like this.
post #19 of 155 Old 01-27-2016, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
That latest list is a bit of a dud. Some good games, but nothing in most people's top tier of 360 classics.

and Jeff Minter's Space Giraffe).
Yeah Space Giraffe was a turd. T2K was so much better. T3K was a step backward from T2K as well.

Never tried TxK.

still play Typhoon 2001.
post #20 of 155 Old 02-14-2016, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Titles added on February 12, 2016
(note: games will be released as soon as ready in the future rather than in batches):
  • Alan Wake’s American Nightmare Arcade Microsoft Studios
  • LEGO Batman Games On Demand Warner Bros. Interactive
  • Sam & Max Beyond Time & Space Arcade Microsoft Studios
  • Trials HD Arcade Microsoft Studios
DaverJ likes this.
post #21 of 155 Old 02-15-2016, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Galaga was added today. CELEBRATE WOO HOO.
DaverJ likes this.

Come join our adult gaming community at www.syndicatedgaming.com

XBL, PSN, and Steam: diehardcubfn
post #22 of 155 Old 02-26-2016, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Carcassonne and Geometry Wars were added to the backwards compatible list

https://twitter.com/majornelson/stat...09812013076481

https://twitter.com/majornelson/stat...46532430127104
pjb16 likes this.
post #23 of 155 Old 02-26-2016, 10:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post
Carcassonne and Geometry Wars were added to the backwards compatible list

https://twitter.com/majornelson/stat...09812013076481

https://twitter.com/majornelson/stat...46532430127104
Oh yea!

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #24 of 155 Old 03-17-2016, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Alan Wake, Pac Man, and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night are all backward compatible now.

http://majornelson.com/blog/xbox-one...compatibility/
DaverJ likes this.
post #25 of 155 Old 03-17-2016, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you are in the Preview Halo Wars will be playable.

https://twitter.com/majornelson/stat...09410125594624
post #26 of 155 Old 03-21-2016, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Assassin Creed, Grid 2 and Dark Void have been added to the backward compatible list.

http://majornelson.com/blog/xbox-one...inkId=22511226
DaverJ likes this.
post #27 of 155 Old 03-23-2016, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Dark Souls and Tekken Tag 2 were added to the list.

https://twitter.com/majornelson/stat...70248609120256
DaverJ likes this.
post #28 of 155 Old 03-28-2016, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Halo Wars, Soul Calibur II HD, and The King of the Fighters '98 Ultimate Match have now been added to the list.

https://twitter.com/majornelson/stat...82195465957377
DaverJ likes this.
post #29 of 155 Old 03-29-2016, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Left 4 Dead 2 was added today as well
DaverJ likes this.
post #30 of 155 Old 03-30-2016, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Dead Space added to the back compatible list.

https://twitter.com/majornelson/stat...06964393984001
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page