XBOX One or PS4? new to gaming.... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 13Likes
  • 1 Post By onlysublime
  • 1 Post By totalownership
  • 1 Post By ApexAZ
  • 1 Post By totalownership
  • 4 Post By newfmp3
  • 1 Post By Marafice Eye
  • 2 Post By tsaville
  • 1 Post By blake18
  • 1 Post By TonyDP

post #1 of 13 Old 12-14-2015, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Smile XBOX One or PS4? new to gaming....

66 years old and never owned a console. My Son says xbox. What console should I buy to get me up and going. Like the racing games and Golf. I have Pioneer Elite receiver and Pioneer 60 inch Elite tv. Do they come with 2 controllers, headsets, etc. Help!!! Do I need the 500gb?

Thanks, Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-14-2015, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 936
Racing, get Xbox One. Forza Motorsport 6 or Forza Horizon 2.

Golf is basically Electronic Arts PGA Tour or The Golf Club or Powerstar Golf.
smokozuna likes this.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-14-2015, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerdawg View Post
66 years old and never owned a console. My Son says xbox. What console should I buy to get me up and going. Like the racing games and Golf. I have Pioneer Elite receiver and Pioneer 60 inch Elite tv. Do they come with 2 controllers, headsets, etc. Help!!! Do I need the 500gb?

Thanks, Brad
Ok, I have both and from my experience I would go with the Xbox as it stands right now. If you really , REALLY like the racing experience I'd probably go with a PC. So much more racing options on PC than these consoles and much better if you're into realistic (sim) racing.

If you're into the best graphics possible then PC is your choice. If a PC is out of reach for whatever reason then the PS4 has the better graphics over Xbox. Depends on the game how much better. Some games you'll notice no difference whatsoever some games you'll notice the difference more. The few games I've played so far I haven't notice any difference between Xbox and PS4 to write home about.

Now I'll also add if you don't plan to use all the features the Xbox has then you probably want to go with the PS4. The PS4 is really all about the games whereas the Xbox is also all about the games BUT is a very capable and convenient home entertainment device (with voice control, ability to control your cable box, power on TV and receiver etc.). To fully realize this though you'll have to get the Xbox model with the Kinect. With the Xbox you can enter your room, watch all your entertainment selections finish the night turning off all your devices and never have to touch any of your remotes the whole time.

Xbox also has a snap feature where you came play games and have entertainment going on at the same time on-screen. I personally used that feature religiously while gaming when I had my cable boxes. I've since got rid of the cable boxes so I don't use the feature as much but I do with SlingTV to watch some ESPN while gaming. (SlingTV on the Xbox however is another story. It needs a lot of work)

So you got some researching ahead of you.
smokozuna likes this.

AT HAMMOND ROBOTICS WE'RE BRINGING THE FUTURE ... HOME
post #4 of 13 Old 12-14-2015, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 45
XBOX One for Forza.

You can also look into getting a racing playseat with a wheel and pedals. It's so fun

Although overall I'm partial to Playstation. But agree Forza is the best racing game out there and you can tweak it to make it either arcade style racing, or very realistic. It's a blast.
smokozuna likes this.
post #5 of 13 Old 12-14-2015, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAZ View Post
You can also look into getting a racing playseat with a wheel and pedals. It's so fun
See this is also a problem for Xbox vs PS4. If you currently have no wheel or pedals then either console is an option however if you budget is tight the PS4 is the better option simply because it supports more wheels. My current Fanatec setup is a no-go on the Xbox One but on PS4 it works. I wish I could say it's completely flawless on PS4 but I can't say that. The Xbox One supported wheels are fewer and generally more expensive, from what I've seen. I'm still researching the wheel situation however. I've read to many posts of issues with wheels on PS4, I haven't so much on Xbox since I have no intention of upgrading mine.
ApexAZ likes this.

AT HAMMOND ROBOTICS WE'RE BRINGING THE FUTURE ... HOME
post #6 of 13 Old 12-23-2015, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 238
The last time I turned on my PS4 was this time last year for a game I got on sale LOTR and and just got frustrated with the crappy controller and never looked back.

Xbox One all the way...and I'm very picky with graphics but the PS4's stick is a Piece of uncomfortable @#$$ that falls apart every time you look at it and the batteries last 5 hrs.

Granted I have a good PC for my obsession with nice graphics. But Xbox + Forza horizon or Forza 6 = win win win. The PS4 has NOTHING in terms of racing games that even come close to Forza....NOTHING.

Plus the xbox is dead silent,runs cool. The ps4 is like a hair dryer. I am amazed that the PS4 sells so well, it is easily one of the most disappointing consoles I've had in my life and I'm in my 40's and have had ALL the consoles over the years.
post #7 of 13 Old 12-23-2015, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post
The last time I turned on my PS4 was this time last year for a game I got on sale LOTR and and just got frustrated with the crappy controller and never looked back.

Xbox One all the way...and I'm very picky with graphics but the PS4's stick is a Piece of uncomfortable @#$$ that falls apart every time you look at it and the batteries last 5 hrs.

Granted I have a good PC for my obsession with nice graphics. But Xbox + Forza horizon or Forza 6 = win win win. The PS4 has NOTHING in terms of racing games that even come close to Forza....NOTHING.

Plus the xbox is dead silent,runs cool. The ps4 is like a hair dryer. I am amazed that the PS4 sells so well, it is easily one of the most disappointing consoles I've had in my life and I'm in my 40's and have had ALL the consoles over the years.

I got a PS4 in November this year and I definitely agree with the controller. I use it as little as possible and thankfully I have an adapter and I can use my Xbox One controller.

However, my PS4 runs dead silent, and with the updates and changes, Driveclub is a fantastic racing game. It doesn't have the customization of Forza or the track selection, but it's a very good game and very cheap right now.

All that being said, I would still say go for the XBO, but just putting it out there that the PS4 isn't THAT bad :P
blake18 likes this.

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
__________________________________________________ _
Plan9Reloaded Co-host
Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast
https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link
http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website
post #8 of 13 Old 12-23-2015, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 289
As I get older (the big 4-0 is right around the corner), the controller really is a huge factor for me. I'm a software developer, so I spend all day at the computer (I'm sure carpal tunnel can't be too far away). The last thing I need is a game controller to add to the stress. With that said, I can use the X1 controller for hours without any discomfort in my hands/wrists. I start cramping up after about an hour with the PS4 controller.

I also love the hairdryer analogy that was mentioned. I was thinking jet engine, but hairdryer is perfect. Maybe it was just an issue with the early batches (bought my PS4 on day one), but man that thing gets loud.

The bottom line is that I use my X1 pretty much on a daily basis, and my PS4 hasn't been turned on in over a year. I'm definitely looking forward to Uncharted 4, but up to this point the game lineup has been much better on X1.

Good luck and welcome to the old gamers club!
DaverJ and blake18 like this.
post #9 of 13 Old 12-23-2015, 11:52 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Huh, the PS4 controller is one of the most comfortable controllers I've ever used. I like it better than the dual shock 3 and I had no issues with that, not sure what all the complaints are about.

And he didn't say what kind of racing games he likes. Not everyone wants a realistic simulation style game, I much prefer simple pick up and play arcade style.
post #10 of 13 Old 12-24-2015, 02:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WheelsWillTravel View Post
Not everyone wants a realistic simulation style game, I much prefer simple pick up and play arcade style.
And that would be Forza Horizon 2...
post #11 of 13 Old 12-24-2015, 02:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 116
I went with Xbox, much more regular release schedule of exclusives and I would say a better controller. Also, you just can't beat Rise of the Tomb Raider.
DaverJ likes this.

Lumenlab "Community driven video lab".
post #12 of 13 Old 12-24-2015, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 136
I own both consoles and would also recommend the Xbox One.

The gear you have sounds fine, just make sure you have a free HDMI port on the TV. Also, make sure you have a sufficiently fast internet connection as both consoles make extensive use of the internet for installing games and updates.

Every Xbox One and PS4 comes with at least a 500GB hard drive; some have larger ones. All games are installed onto the drive so the more space the better. Its important to note that with Xbox One, you can just plug in an external hard drive into one of its USB ports and instantly have more storage; with PS4 you need to physically replace the hard drive (not hard but still a bit of a chore) to get more space.

The base consoles come with just one controller and a plain vanilla headset (in in the case of the PS4 a cheap earbud and mic); various bundles can include higher quality 3rd party headsets and extra controllers or you can purchase them separately; shop around for the deal that is best for you.

If your son owns an Xbox One and you purchase one as well, you can play certain games together - cooperatively or competitively - as long as you both subscribe to Xbox Live and have the same game. That may be a factor.

As others have said, the Xbox One controller is very comfortable to use; the offset placement of the joysticks pretty much eliminates any hand cramping or discomfort and the thumbs remain in a natural position; I cannot say the same for the PS4 controller.

In terms of graphics the PS4 does have a slight edge but honestly you have to stand right up to your TV to really notice for 90% of the games available on both systems. Once you get into playing a game and are focusing on the action, any slight difference in resolution or frames per second is quickly tuned out.

Lastly, I would suggest doing some reading on the games that are exclusive to each console (and maybe talk to your son about what he plays) and see what interests you more.

You can't go wrong with either console but, I (and most other people around here as this is an Xbox forum) would definitely choose the Xbox One over the PS4.
DaverJ likes this.

Xbox Live: XboxPhantom
PSN: TonyDP

Last edited by TonyDP; 12-24-2015 at 12:45 PM.
post #13 of 13 Old 12-25-2015, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 83
buy an xbox one, any xbox one and forza 6. buy forza 5 if you are on a budget. golf i cant help you with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area