AVS Forum banner

Xbox One S not playing hdr on Samsung ks9500

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Gracjan Lxl 
#1 ·
I got 5 HDR movies and it wont go into HDR mode like Netflix does....any ideas?

#2 ·
Make sure UHD colour is on. I get it so something is wrong on your end.

#4 ·
OK. So I bought Mad Max: Fury Road, which is 4K and HDR. Works fine on the KS9500.
Sometimes the XBOX doesn't auto update with the latest update. You might want to check if there's an update available.

Still don't get how HDR works with Netflix on your devices, but not mine.
Have you set your console to run at 1080P or 4k? "When you set your console resolution to 4K UHD, everything on the console—Home, games, and apps—will display at 4K. 4K content is displayed in its native 4K resolution, and other content (like 1080p content) is upscaled to 4K."

#5 ·
It could be the HDMI cable you have.

#6 ·
To set your resolution to a lower resolution but switch to 4K when 4K content is played:

1. Open the guide and go to Settings > All settings > Display & sound > Video output and then make sure TV resolution is set to 720p or 1080p.
  2. Select Advanced video settings and make sure Allow 4K is checked.
If your system should support 4K and HDR but it isn't working (for example, you can't select the 4K UHD resolution, 4K features aren't supported in the 4K TV details screen, 4K content won't play, or you're seeing video quality problems), here are some things to try:

• Make sure the console is automatically detecting your TV. Double-tap the Xbox button to open the guide and choose Settings > All settings. Select Display & sound > Advanced video settings and choose Auto-detect. 4K isn't available when HDMI or DVI is manually selected.
  • For HDR, make sure your TV supports the HDR10 media profile. Check your TV manual to verify. Some manufacturers may not mention HDR10—look for support of BT2020 and HDR, or some of the names in the previous list. (Also, there are two HDR formats: Dolby Vision and HDR10. Your TV can support both, but it must at least support HDR10.)
  • Make sure your HDMI cable is plugged into the correct port on your TV. Some 4K TVs only support their full set of 4K features on specific HDMI ports. Refer to your TV manual to see if there are special 4K HDMI ports, or try the different ports on your TV.
  • Check your TV's settings menu. Your TV might have a special mode that turns on 4K or HDR. Refer to your TV manual to see if you must change your TV's settings. Again, your TV manufacturer may use different names for HDR—see the previous list.
  • If some content won't play, make sure your TV supports HDCP 2.2 and that it's turned on in your TV's settings.
  • Make sure you're using the HDMI cable that was included with the Xbox One S.
  • Try a different HDMI cable. Your cables must be HDMI High Speed or HDMI Premium certified.
  • If a device is plugged in between your TV and console, remove it and plug your TV directly into your console with the HDMI cable that was included with the Xbox One S. Some AV receivers or other video equipment may interfere with the data passed between console and TV—your device must support the same capabilities as your TV, either directly or as pass-through. Also, you must use HDMI High Speed or HDMI Premium certified cables between both the console and receiver, and the receiver and TV.
  • Make sure your TV and AV receiver firmware are up to date. Many newer TVs and devices can take updates—if you find that it doesn't support some 4K or HDR features, a TV or receiver firmware update may resolve the problem. Check your TV or device manual to see how to update the firmware.
  • If you're seeing a blank screen or errors while trying to play 4K content and you've tried all of the previous steps, turn native 4K playback off to try to play the content in a lower resolution. In Settings > Display & sound > Advanced video settings, clear Allow 4K.
  • If you receive an error message when you choose 4K UHD in your display settings, see Error when selecting the 4K UHD resolution on Xbox One S.
  • If you're seeing strange colors while playing HDR content and you've tried all of the previous steps, you can turn HDR off. In Settings > Display & sound > Advanced video settings, clear Allow HDR.

This last one solved it for me (I have a 2016 Vizio P series TV):

When Vizio’s M- and P-Series TVs are connected to the Internet the display will automatically search for the HDR10 firmware update and download it. The process to enable HDR playback is as follows: Open the SmartCast remote control app, tap “Settings,” press “Inputs” and then "HDMI Color Subsampling.” The final step is to enable subsampling for the HDMI port to which the HDR-enabled UHD Blu-ray player is connected. Supported HDR-enabled players include models from Vizio, Samsung’s UHD-K8500, and the Philips BDP7501/F7. Vizio said it will expand support to additional players as they become available.

#8 ·
This is happening with my Xbone S when I try to route it through my newly acquired Anthem MRX 720 on my Samsung JS8500. When attempting to play a UHD disc, i get the "this Blu-Ray disc will look better on a 4K enabled player" message indicating that it will be outputting 1080P instead of the 4K stream. Yes the HDMI port on is set to UHD colorspace.

If I directly connect it to another UHD enabled HDMI port on the Samsung, everything 4K related is supported and there's no error message. Of course that means I'm stuck with ARC or optical out for sound and not the lossless audio that I paid for when buying the movie.

#13 ·
I have JS8580 65"and xbox one 2. Connected the new XBox One S with all the correct 4K auto connect, etc. When I turn on "UHD Color" on the HDMI 1,2,3,4 (whatever its doesnt matter) ports for the Samsung TV it would automatically reboot and then...nothing. No signal. It would tell me there is no connection. I tried going only with the Xbox, I tried with the Xbox and the cable box, etc. I tried unplugging cords then doing it, doing it and then iu unplugging.
For some reason, once I switch to UHD color, I lose the connection. Which I go turn it off in the menu, it comes back on.
What am I doing wrong?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.