AVS Forum banner

Duffer Question about X-box One S

925 views 37 replies 9 participants last post by  Alanlee 
#1 · (Edited)
It seems the X-box One S will dominate my family's Christmas this year as all four of my grandchildren will either be receiving a One S or related equipment which could leave my wife and I out of the loop with our out-of-date Wii. Consequently I have ordered a One S and a couple of controllers. Beyond the grandchildren, I would like to do something more than watch 4-K videos on this player.

I have tried to review the games that can be played. Most are about killing people and/or things, which is not of interest to me, since I had enough of that in Vietnam. My wife and I like to play golf and bowling on the Wii, and I have found a couple of those kinds of games for the One S. The grandkids play Minecraft on their "devices." I am hoping that game will keep them busy on the One S. The murder, mayhem, zombie games they can play under their parents supervision.

Two of the grandchildren will soon turn 12. This week my wife and I watched Romeo and Juliet with them ( Franco Zeffirelli ). We had a nice discussion during and after the performance, however Murdock Mysteries, Shakespeare, history documentaries, oral recitations and maybe even opera cannot be a steady diet if we want to maintain our relationship with our grandchildren.

So I am wondering if someone would like to recommend some games that challenge the mind or body. Have you tried the golf, bowling or race car games? Are there other suggestions? Am I underestimating what is out there?

See less See more
Reactions: lightandsound
#2 ·
I assume XBox One games, will work on the ONE S? They had a bin full of XBox One games on sale, so purchased 4 to give with the XBox One S for the wife for Christmas.

# 1 Mine Craft # 2 Rayman Legends # 3 Final Fantasy Type-0 # 4 Lego Jurassic World

Wife likes the cartoon like games. Me personally, prefer doing my games, on my computer.

Unit will also now give us a 4K player on her downstairs system

#4 ·
It may be that I am in the wrong forum for this question, because I would like to know about games on the X-box One S however........... It seems the X-box One S will dominate my family's Christmas this year as all four of my grandchildren will either be receiving a One S or related equipment which could leave my wife and I out of the loop with our out-of-date Wii. Consequently I have ordered a One S and a couple of controllers. Beyond the grandchildren, I would like to do something more than watch 4-K videos on this player.

I have tried to review the games that can be played. Most are about killing people and/or things, which is not of interest to me, since I had enough of that in Vietnam. My wife and I like to play golf and bowling on the Wii, and I have found a couple of those kinds of games for the One S. The grandkids play Minecraft on their "devices." I am hoping that game will keep them busy on the One S. The murder, mayhem, zombie games they can play under their parents supervision.

Two of the grandchildren will soon turn 12. This week my wife and I watched Romeo and Juliet with them ( Franco Zeffirelli ). We had a nice discussion during and after the performance, however Murdock Mysteries, Shakespeare, history documentaries, oral recitations and maybe even opera cannot be a steady diet if we want to maintain our relationship with our grandchildren.

So I am wondering if someone would like to recommend some games that challenge the mind or body. Have you tried the golf, bowling or race car games? Are there other suggestions? Am I underestimating what is out there?

Unravel and Ori and the Blind Forest would be perfect for you.
I have both and love them.
Unravel was on sale in the Xbox Store for $5 and Ori was $10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 · (Edited)
Thank you Elisha - I will look for these programs. I looked up Ori and the blind forest on wikipedia. It sounds like a great program for my eight year old grand daughter. She is a bit of a free spirit.

#5 ·
If you pick up a Kinect, you can get Kinect Sports Rivals and play bowling and other Wii-like games.

The Kinect will let you be very active. There are dancing games, exercise stuff, etc.

Besides, the Kinect, there are lots of family friendly games. Some of the ones above were already mentioned like Unravel (on sale)

#6 ·
some family friendly games:

Castle Crashers
Child of Light
Costume Quest 2
Crimson Dragon
Forza Horizon, Forza Horizon 2, Forza Horizon 3
gems of war
geometry wars 3
goat simulator
guacamelee
happy wars (free to play)
lara croft temple of osiris
lego games (too many to list, e.g., lego marvel super heroes)
limbo
max curse of brotherhood
minecraft story mode (different from minecraft game)
monkey island
monopoly collection
need for speed games
neverwinter (free to play)
Halo Master Chief Collection, Halo 4, Halo 5
nba 2k17
Onigiri (free to play)
ori and the blind forest
pac man championship edition 2
peggle 2
powerstar golf
plants vs zombies garden warfare
plants vs zombies garden warfare 2
Rare Replay (really great compilation too)
rayman legends
risk
rocket league
screamride
shadow complex
smite (free to play)
so many me
star trek online (free to play)
strider
strike suit zero
sunset overdrive
super dungeon bros
super mega baseball
super time force
tetris ultimate
the jackbox party pack (this one is soooooo good for a group or party)
the legend of korra
3 threes
trackmania
trials fusion
valiant hearts
worms battlegrounds

Disney Infinity 3.0 (discontinued so it's getting really cheap to buy). compatible with Disney Infinity 2.0 and older stuff.
Cuphead

Some Xbox 360 titles known to work on Xbox One:
Battleblock Theater
Bomberman Live Battlerid 2
fest
Crash Course
Dirt Showdown
Dirt 3
Dragon's Lair
Fable III
hexic
joust
lode runner
motocross madness
ms. splosion man
nba jam
outland
pac man championship dx+
plants vs zombies
reflex mx atv
rtype dimensions
shadow complex
splosion man
the maw
the pinball arcade
south park stick of truth
toy soldiers cold war
trials hd
tron evolution

Kinect games:
Angry Birds Star Wars
Beatsplosion
Boom Ball for Kinect
Dance Central Spotlight
Fantasia: Music Evolved
Fighter Within
FRU
Fruit Ninja Kinect 2
just dance 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
kung fu kinect
rabbids invasion
shape up
slice zombies
zoo tycoon
zumba

#13 ·
I received the X-box yesterday, and installed Minecraft today. I do not know what I am doing, but the grandkids will be here later in the week. They will help me. I need to buy some more programs: ones for duffers.

#12 ·
I like Sherlock Holmes. Whoa "The Devils Daughter." Maybe I can be his Watson. I would never presume to be Holmes himself. Thanks

#14 ·
did you try watching any of the tutorial videos?

there is a Help app. from the main screen (called the dashboard), there is a "My games & apps" in the upper right corner. Once you have the tile highlighted, hit the A button. On the far left of the screen is Games, Apps, Ready to install, Updates, and Queue. If you go to Apps, it will show all your installed apps on the right side. There should be a Help app. That should increase your knowledge about the Xbox One S.

#17 ·
Yeah you are right. I will watch the tutorial videos today. I guess I can't just rattle around until I get it right. I had trouble downloading Minecraft; my eight year old grandson came over and had it loading in about 30 secs. He was very proud of himself.

#15 ·
Just a note, if you want to pick up the Kinect for the One S, you need to also buy the Kinect Adapter for the One S. The Kinect has a proprietary plug on it that they left off the One S for whatever reason, so you'll have to pick up the adapter while you're at it.

That being said, I love my Kinect, it's way way better than the Wii stuff.

#23 ·
I would also recommend any of the Lego games. They are all fun and full of puzzles to solve plus you can play 2 player co-op. I played several of them with my son and we loved them. They have Lego game versions of Indiana Jones, Harry Potter, Batman, Star Wars, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Jurassic World.

#24 ·
I would also recommend any of the Lego games. They are all fun and full of puzzles to solve plus you can play 2 player co-op. I played several of them with my son and we loved them. They have Lego game versions of Indiana Jones, Harry Potter, Batman, Star Wars, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Jurassic World.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaVbiSBdNDo
I will ask my 9-year old grandson if he would want to play Lego games with me - thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.