AVS Forum banner

How I got around HDCP 2.2 incompatibility

14K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Deez2 
#1 ·
Folks,

My first post in the Xbox area, though I've been a board member for years and years. I recently decided to grab an Xbox One S to do 4K -- I finally joined Amazon Prime so I could watch The Grand Tour, and I might as well go ahead and start moving to 4K Blu-rays. However, the rest of my system is a bit old -- an older LG 4K TV set that lacks HDR, and an older Yamaha receiver that lacks HDCP 2.2 compatibility.

It took me quite a bit of work to get any kind of 4K working -- mainly because I had the 4K set and three other non-4K sets attached to the receiver. The non-4K sets go through an HDMI splitter, attached to the Yamaha via one of the two HDMI outputs -- the 4K set goes through the other HDMI output. Simple solution was to turn off the second HDMI output, which I can actually do via the remote control. And needless to say, I had to update the Yamaha's firmware before I could get any kind of 4K to work.

So, that got me to 4K video with Amazon Prime, but 4K Blu-rays certainly didn't work. That's when my searching around got me into understanding a bit about HDCP 2.2 compatibility. Which my receiver absolutely didn't have. I confirmed that it all worked if I attached the Xbox One S directly to the TV, but I was a bit hesitant to toss away a $1,500 receiver, just to get 4K Blu-ray playback. But, I wasn't done trying, yet.

Without entirely thinking through the connections, I decided to try a two-way HDMI splitter, finding one that was "HDCP 2.2 compliant." I figured I'd just send one output directly to the TV, and the other to the Yamaha receiver, figuring that I could at least bypass the receiver. However, to my great satisfaction, I discovered that the HDMI splitter apparently reported back to the Xbox One S that I now had a HDCP 2.2-compliant signal path, and indeed, I now can play 4K Blu-rays through the Xbox One S, through the Yamaha receiver, and then the 4K TV set.

I used a KanexPro HDMI splitter -- I imagine plenty of others might work as well. Here's a link to mine:

http://www.kanexpro.com/item/?id=SP-HD20-1X24K

I actually tried replacing my TV set with a new Samsung high-end set in order to get HDR, but I certainly couldn't get HDR to work with anything I tried. And worse than that, for some odd reason, whenever I had the Samsung attached to the Yamaha receiver, the receiver would not output anything through its attached speakers. So, I know when to give up, so I returned that, and I'm otherwise doing fine with everything except HDR. When the TV and the receiver get to the end of their useful lives, then perhaps I'll throw more money at trying to get HDR again.

And I hope this might help anyone else who can't get their Xbox One S consoles to play 4K Blu-rays -- this certainly worked for me!

See less See more
#2 ·
Well Thoots,

Like you, I have a Yamaha receiver...A RX-A740 to be exact.

Although when I purchased the receiver, I only had a 1080P TV, I just had a new 4K with HDR delivered.

Unfortunately, I discovered what you already know, that the not even so old receivers (just 2 years at most) do not support HDR.

Now I am seriously upgrading the receiver so I can watch 4K HDR with my XBOX One S...I hear it's quite a leap from 4K to HDR...moreso than from 1080P to 4K.

#3 ·
#5 ·
I only use one of the outputs on the splitter, I pass audio & video through the AVR, the splitter is used only to strip the HDCP 2.2 (down to 1.4).

In my case my AVR's are both HDMI 2.0 (4K @ 60hz 4:4:4) compatible and my display is 4K but not HDR.

- Jason

#6 ·
Jason I think you should reread the IP's first post. It's about getting 4k video AND lossless hd audio when using a 4k tv, Xbox 1s, and a non 4k /hdcp 2.2/2.0a HDMI receiver. I'm having the same problem and I'm thinking about trying the splitter the op mentioned I just don't understand how it could be working.

#9 ·
Jason I think you should reread the IP's first post. It's about getting 4k video AND lossless hd audio when using a 4k tv, Xbox 1s, and a non 4k /hdcp 2.2/2.0a HDMI receiver. I'm having the same problem and I'm thinking about trying the splitter the op mentioned I just don't understand how it could be working.

What you stated above (now in bold) is exactly what I was doing with the splitter as my AVR at that time was not HDCP 2.2/HDMI 2.0a. ;)

It allowed me to watch UHD BD passed through my HDMI 2.0 (not 2.0a) AVR via the X1S on my non-HDR 4K display (all while getting full audio support, including Dolby Atmos).

The true point of my post was simply to say that I experienced issues with that same KanexPro splitter but had none with the Panlong. It was not to imply that I was doing the same procedure as the OP, sorry that my post was not explained fully. ;)

- Jason

#7 ·
https://emotiva.com/products/pres-and-pros/mc-700

This magnificent component does it all better...albeit more expensive ($499-$599). It is the most amazing upgrades one can make to an older vintage AVR with superior sonics to the newer thin sounding models. It immediately transformed my vintage Harman Kardon AVR 745 into a vastly superior system over any of the new models I auditioned. I send on output directly to the 4K input on my HDTV. I send another directly to my HK AVR for full HT audio purposes only (thus bypassing the older AVR outputs). I also rout the analog outputs directly into the HK AVR and use both Sub ports for a 7.2 sys. The analog system using the HK Logic 7 processing far exceeds most of the newer sonic formats to my ears. Either way, this magic box gives me the best of all worlds. I much prefer older AVRs with big beefy, brute power supplies that can deliver the sonic goods. But they have outmoded video sections. This allows you to buy the best of class vintage models for a song and dance on the used market. And immediately update it to best in class today for a penance.

#8 ·
Well for that money I could buy a new flat sounding Denon to replace my old flat sounding Denon that would do what I want. Is there anything out there for people that don't have a 4k comparable AVR that's cheaper than a new AVR. I'm really thinking not and think I should just start looking and saving for a new AVR.

#10 ·
No problem. I misunderstood what you were trying to say as well, but I don't think 2.0 vs 2.0a is much different at least compared to 2.0/2.0a or b vs 1.4. I want to be able to get 4k @ 60hz with HDR AND the lossless audio and although I still haven't tried it with a splitter I plan to unless someone can confirm that it absolutely will not work. I have a very low end 2016 LG 60uh6030 tv, Xbox 1s, and a Denon 1513 AVR. The AVR can do 3d pass through and I believe 4k @ 30hz with HDMI 1.4 but not 60hz or HDR with 1.4. Would I need a splitter that would down scale the signal going to the AVR to 1.4 and one that is HDCP 2.2/HDMI 2.0a to the tv. I think HD Fury makes a splitter that can do that? With that being said once I can figure out the right splitter then I have to justify the price vs a newer AVR which is seeming more and more like the best, cheapest, and definitely easiest way. If not I think I may go insane errr lol. This has been the most aggravating, stressful s?!t ever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.