The Official Xbox One X thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 924Likes

post #901 of 1171 Old 08-30-2017, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetGod View Post
Wow!
I am absolutely shocked at just much clearer/better the XB1X looks than the PS4 Pro!

Same here. If this is indication of what devs can do by pushing the consoles specs, we are going to get some amazing looking games.

It's good for gaming period since it's going to push the limits. Now to figure out how to get my TV upgraded to 4k before I get my Scorpio. I saw a decent deal on a Vizio 55" with HDR for $549 that I'm really considering since I'm not trying to break my wallet to bad

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
aaronwt and NetGod like this.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1171 Old 08-30-2017, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by geophilips View Post
Anyone here who has preordered and has a 2017 LG OLED and a current Xbox One S?

I have preordered the One X but also want to use it as a UHD player and I would very much like to avoid switching between the ISF and Cinema modes to Game mode.

Just wondering what the compromises are (I know input lag is not an issue but more about things like juddering in BD playback due to no real cinema, etc.)
I have the One X preordered and one of my One S consoles is connected to a 2016 LG OLED. I have only watched a couple 4K Blu-rays on it but have not had any issues with juddering. So obviously I can't comment on the 2017 models but that has been my experience.
post #903 of 1171 Old 08-30-2017, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked: 1482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post
Same here. If this is indication of what devs can do by pushing the consoles specs, we are going to get some amazing looking games.

It's good for gaming period since it's going to push the limits. Now to figure out how to get my TV upgraded to 4k before I get my Scorpio. I saw a decent deal on a Vizio 55" with HDR for $549 that I'm really considering since I'm not trying to break my wallet to bad

I have the Vizio P-series 2016 P50-C1 model. The 2017 model improves it by giving a real remote rather than a tablet remote. But otherwise it's the same. And I wouldn't recommend it for HDR gaming.

Shop carefully. On the Vizio P-series, the added latency for HDR gaming is just enough to be barely usable. It's not unplayable but I did notice enough of a difference where I thought about it during gaming. If I had to do it all over again, I would've gotten the Samsung KS8000. The Vizio defenders focused on how much better the Vizio was for movies and TV. But I bought it for HDR gaming on my One S (and now my One X).

post #904 of 1171 Old 08-30-2017, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post

Try the TCL 55P607 or 55P605 (same TV, slightly different remote). It's basically the best 4K HDR TV you can get at its price point, which is $600-$650. It has some compromises but you're really not going to find anything better at that price unless you find a really good deal on a used TV.
rolltide1017 and steven_j05 like this.
post #905 of 1171 Old 08-30-2017, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboomr View Post
Try the TCL 55P607 or 55P605 (same TV, slightly different remote). It's basically the best 4K HDR TV you can get at its price point, which is $600-$650. It has some compromises but you're really not going to find anything better at that price unless you find a really good deal on a used TV.
Yea, the TCL is on my watch list. The $549 is hard to beat since it allows me to get another game

theboomr likes this.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #906 of 1171 Old 08-30-2017, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
I have the One X preordered and one of my One S consoles is connected to a 2016 LG OLED. I have only watched a couple 4K Blu-rays on it but have not had any issues with juddering. So obviously I can't comment on the 2017 models but that has been my experience.
Sorry. I forgot to mention that I wanted to use the LG in PC mode, which is supposed to give all picture modes the same low input lag but removes certain features like Real Cinema which is supposedly needed for judder free 24p
post #907 of 1171 Old 08-30-2017, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Sorry. I forgot to mention that I wanted to use the LG in PC mode, which is supposed to give all picture modes the same low input lag but removes certain features like Real Cinema which is supposedly needed for judder free 24p
Ah OK, I can't comment then since I prefer to change to the appropriate mode based on the source I am feeding mine to avoid any compromises.

If I get a chance this weekend, I could test it out for you though.
post #908 of 1171 Old 08-30-2017, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Ah OK, I can't comment then since I prefer to change to the appropriate mode based on the source I am feeding mine to avoid any compromises.

If I get a chance this weekend, I could test it out for you though.
Appreciate the help.

That would be my fallback option too. However, if I could get my Harmony remote to trigger a picture mode change with a simple button press, that could become my main option but I am still researching if that's possible.
post #909 of 1171 Old 08-30-2017, 11:37 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 6399 Post(s)
Liked: 3957
Quote:

I have preordered the One X but also want to use it as a UHD player and I would very much like to avoid switching between the ISF and Cinema modes to Game mode.

Just wondering what the compromises are (I know input lag is not an issue but more about things like juddering in BD playback due to no real cinema, etc.)
You shouldn't be getting any juddering from BD playback in any mode. Since BD playback will typically be at 24FPS. At least as long as your TV has a refresh rate of 120hz or 240hz. Although if you have a 60hz TV then you would have juddering issues.

I found with my Sony UHD TV, that I don't need to use game mode. I used to when I used the ARC with my games systems. But when I got an Atmos receiver and started just using the one ARC input with everything. And started running my XB1S and PS4 pro through it, I found that Game mode made no difference for me. I could use quick reflex games just as well.

And I guess that really depends on the TV. Since some TVs have atrocious lag numbers outside of game mode. But with my Sony UHD TV, with a 4K input, the lag time is supposed to be close to the same whether in Game mode or not. And my experience with it seems to bear that out.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Sony UBP-X800--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 08-30-2017 at 11:42 AM. Reason: spelling...doH!! changed bare to bear.
post #910 of 1171 Old 08-30-2017, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I had asked this at E3 from both XBOX and Sony and neither gave me a straight answer.

I am a huge Star wars Fan and had SW Battle Front the day it came out on my Sony PS4. ( don't have the Pro)

I am definitely getting the new SW Battlefront II day of release. Which system would have the best graphics and online game play on a 4K system: Xbox One X or Sony PS4 Pro?

I am using it on a 150' screen, so every detail or lack there of shows.

Thanks

Epson 5040UBE | DENON X6400H | XBOX ONE S\PS4 | EMOTIVA XPA-7 GEN 2 |EMOTIVA XPA 3 GEN 3 | ELITE SCREEN 150" ZEREO EDGE W/LED KIT
KLIPSCH L&R RF-7II | CENTER RC64II | HEIGHTS RB-81II | 4 SURROUNDS RS-62II | 2 CDT-5800 | SUBS R112SW, R12SW & 2 x R115SW
VEFXI 3D-BEE DIAMOND (2D TO 3D CONVERTER) | DARBE VISION DVP-500S | LOGITECH HARMONY 800
post #911 of 1171 Old 08-30-2017, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:

I'll second this, I love my TCL 55P605. It has an amazing picture and very good HDR/DV performance. Input lag is very low, even with game mode off I don't notice much lag (I'm coming from an LG that had around 40ms lag). It's not a perfect TV, don't expect any budget TV to be, but the pros definitely out weight the cons by a wide margin IMO.
theboomr likes this.

PSN ID: CrimsonNagus
XBL GT: Crimson Nagus (returning to XBL with Xbox One X)
post #912 of 1171 Old 08-30-2017, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post
I'll second this, I love my TCL 55P605. It has an amazing picture and very good HDR/DV performance. Input lag is very low, even with game mode off I don't notice much lag (I'm coming from an LG that had around 40ms lag). It's not a perfect TV, don't expect any budget TV to be, but the pros definitely out weight the cons by a wide margin IMO.
So I looked up the TCL P Series 2017 P607 at rtings.com...

And here's what I see...

4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 + 8 bit HDR: 14.2 ms
1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 + HDR: 14.0 ms

So I'm not sure what the implications of "8 bit HDR". So is the HDR image going to be reduced from 10-bit HDR10 to some 8-bit variant?

And the regular "HDR" tag only applies to 1080P.

In any case, the input lag looks excellent (if only it didn't say 8 bit HDR).

Compare that to my TV which costs almost twice as much:
4k @ 60Hz + HDR: 43.8 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 + 8 bit HDR: 43.8 ms
post #913 of 1171 Old 08-30-2017, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post
So I'm not sure what the implications of "8 bit HDR". So is the HDR image going to be reduced from 10-bit HDR10 to some 8-bit variant?
It is because that panel is an 8-bit panel so it downsamples content higher than that.
post #914 of 1171 Old 08-30-2017, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It is because that panel is an 8-bit panel so it downsamples content higher than that.
I don't know if that has an 8-bit panel. I'm not shopping so I didn't look that closely.

But I looked at a few TVs on that site and some of them say 8-bit HDR which I have no idea what that means practically. If the HDR is downgraded.

Mine says

4k @ 60Hz + HDR : 43.8 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 + 8 bit HDR : 43.8 ms

And I know mine has a 10-bit panel.
post #915 of 1171 Old 08-30-2017, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I don't know if that has an 8-bit panel. I'm not shopping so I didn't look that closely.

But I looked at a few TVs on that site and some of them say 8-bit HDR which I have no idea what that means practically. If the HDR is downgraded.

Mine says

4k @ 60Hz + HDR : 43.8 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 + 8 bit HDR : 43.8 ms

And I know mine has a 10-bit panel.
Look in the "Gradient" section (as well as the questions section) of that Rtings page you were on, it is an 8-bit panel but handles the dithering well eliminating most banding due to FRC.
theboomr likes this.
post #916 of 1171 Old 08-30-2017, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I noticed a few folks, early in the thread, complaining about no BitStream on Xbox One. That was the case for a long time. I just found this the other day myself and confirmed it works.

https://www.windowscentral.com/blu-r...x-one-consoles
post #917 of 1171 Old 08-30-2017, 08:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 522
Quote:
I have the Vizio P-series 2016 P50-C1 model. The 2017 model improves it by giving a real remote rather than a tablet remote. But otherwise it's the same. And I wouldn't recommend it for HDR gaming.

Shop carefully. On the Vizio P-series, the added latency for HDR gaming is just enough to be barely usable. It's not unplayable but I did notice enough of a difference where I thought about it during gaming. If I had to do it all over again, I would've gotten the Samsung KS8000. The Vizio defenders focused on how much better the Vizio was for movies and TV. But I bought it for HDR gaming on my One S (and now my One X).

I wouldn't say it's barely usable. It's perfectly fine for most games in HDR, but I don't play competitive multiplayer. Then again, I came from a plasma with 60ms of lag (the Vizio P has around 43ms in HDR mode). It also remains to be seen how many games support HDR on the One X, especially at launch. I would never recommend the KS8000 personally, unless you can get a killer deal on it.

Personally, I hope to see games using WCG as well, which for me is one of the huge benefits that works in tandem with HDR.
DaverJ likes this.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
post #918 of 1171 Old 08-30-2017, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post
I wouldn't say it's barely usable. It's perfectly fine for most games in HDR, but I don't play competitive multiplayer. Then again, I came from a plasma with 60ms of lag (the Vizio P has around 43ms in HDR mode). It also remains to be seen how many games support HDR on the One X, especially at launch. I would never recommend the KS8000 personally, unless you can get a killer deal on it.

Personally, I hope to see games using WCG as well, which for me is one of the huge benefits that works in tandem with HDR.
For single player stuff, I do leave the HDR enabled. It hurts me a little bit but not enough to really negate the visual improvements, and I'm okay with it because it looks so nice.

In multiplayer stuff or co-op stuff, if I leave it on, I basically take a secondary role in the group. I no longer lead because I feel I'm a liability. In whatever group I play, I usually am one of the attackers because I feel pretty good with my skill. But with HDR on, I'm more a support character. Maybe I'm the sniper. The medic. Occasional kills here and there. But the bulk of the work, I leave to the aggro. Whenever I feel my group is weak, I make sure I turn it off so I can take a stronger role on the team. I started noticing performance drop-off when I had HDR enabled. And it does feel like I'm on skates when it's on.

Overall, I'm happy with my TV and I have to live with my choice. I don't plan on upgrading anytime soon. My "hobby" priorities lie elsewhere. I just dropped $4K on camera and drone equipment.
post #919 of 1171 Old 08-30-2017, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:

I replied to you in the oled thread. It only takes 3 button presses to switch from game mode to cinema mode and vice versa. Actually the oled does it on its own. When I fire up the Xbox and start a game the tv switches to game mode on its own. I'm pretty sure that when I watch a UHD the tv switches to cinema mode on its own too and then back to game mode when I start up a game but it literally takes 2 seconds to switch it manually. now my Samsung tv takes like 30 button presses to switch from game mode to a non game mode video so count your blessings with the LG. It's actually one of the easiest tvs to put into and out of game mode. It's not even an issue. I have two video modes calibrated for HDR movies that I use, one for night time and one for daytime and switching between them takes seconds.
post #920 of 1171 Old 08-31-2017, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post
I would never recommend the KS8000 personally, unless you can get a killer deal on it.

I own the KS8000.
What about it, do you not like?

Also, just checked all the sites.
All XB1X edition preorders are sold out on:
Amazon
Best Buy
Gamestop
Walmart
and Target

3 Hometheaters
1 Samsung 65" UHDTV (UN65KS8000)
1 Sony 49" UHDTV (XBR49X800D) For PC display.
6 HDTV's 32" to 60"
1 Desktop PC, 1 XB, 2 XB360, & 1 XB1
2 iTouch, 1 iPad Air, and 80+ total video games

Last edited by NetGod; 08-31-2017 at 07:01 AM.
post #921 of 1171 Old 08-31-2017, 06:09 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromPlasma2LCD View Post
I replied to you in the oled thread. It only takes 3 button presses to switch from game mode to cinema mode and vice versa. Actually the oled does it on its own. When I fire up the Xbox and start a game the tv switches to game mode on its own. I'm pretty sure that when I watch a UHD the tv switches to cinema mode on its own too and then back to game mode when I start up a game but it literally takes 2 seconds to switch it manually. now my Samsung tv takes like 30 button presses to switch from game mode to a non game mode video so count your blessings with the LG. It's actually one of the easiest tvs to put into and out of game mode. It's not even an issue. I have two video modes calibrated for HDR movies that I use, one for night time and one for daytime and switching between them takes seconds.
SO how does it know a game is being input from something else. Especially since the game output format can be identical to a movie. Depending on what the device output settings are.

post #922 of 1171 Old 08-31-2017, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
I own the KS8000.

I game on my KS8000 and absolutely love it. I am looking forward to 4K gaming in it for sure.
NetGod likes this.

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #923 of 1171 Old 08-31-2017, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
I own the KS8000.

Also, just checked all the sites.
All XB1X edition preorders are sold out on:
Amazon
Best Buy
Gamestop
Walmart
and Target

I just now pre-ordered a Scorpio XB1x at Walmart.com.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
aaronwt likes this.
post #924 of 1171 Old 08-31-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhals View Post
I just now pre-ordered a Scorpio XB1x at Walmart.com.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Thats good news!
Hopefully that means more inventory will continue to be allotted.

3 Hometheaters
6 HDTV's 32" to 60"
post #925 of 1171 Old 08-31-2017, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
SO how does it know a game is being input from something else. Especially since the game output format can be identical to a movie. Depending on what the device output settings are.
It doesn't. I'm not sure what that person was talking about. Maybe he's running those sources into different inputs on the TV and cec is enabled which would switch the inputs automatically.

Anyway, it IS easy to switch picture modes on 2016 OLEDs.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #926 of 1171 Old 08-31-2017, 12:43 PM

Xbox One: Battlefield One Upgrade

Battlefield One on the XB1 will be getting full HDR10 upgrade with TSAR DLC on September 19th.

If you own this game or plan on buying it, have fun!

aaronwt likes this.

3 Hometheaters
6 HDTV's 32" to 60"
post #927 of 1171 Old 08-31-2017, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Battlefield One on the XB1 will be getting full HDR10 upgrade with TSAR DLC on September 19th.

If you own this game or plan on buying it, have fun!

haha. took them, what, a year to do the HDR upgrade?
aaronwt and johncentking like this.
post #928 of 1171 Old 08-31-2017, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
So I looked up the TCL P Series 2017 P607 at rtings.com...

And here's what I see...

4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 + 8 bit HDR: 14.2 ms
1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 + HDR: 14.0 ms

And the regular "HDR" tag only applies to 1080P.

In any case, the input lag looks excellent (if only it didn't say 8 bit HDR).

Compare that to my TV which costs almost twice as much:
4k @ 60Hz + HDR: 43.8 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 + 8 bit HDR: 43.8 ms
This 8-bit HDR has nothing to do with whether the panel is a native 10-bit panel or not. When you are using 4:4:4 chroma subsampling, which generally is only necessary when using the TV as a computer monitor, there isn't enough bandwidth on the HDMI cable to transmit more than 8-bit HDR. If you aren't using the TV as a computer monitor where you read lots of text and such, you don't really need 4:4:4 at all and you won't notice anything. Movies are mastered in 4:2:0, I believe, and lots of other content is 4:2:2.

I'm not an expert with this stuff though so I may misunderstand some of it.
post #929 of 1171 Old 08-31-2017, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
This 8-bit HDR has nothing to do with whether the panel is a native 10-bit panel or not.
This is correct, the TV in question has a 8-bit panel but will accept a 10-bit signal. For example, my TVs are 10-bit panels but accept 12-bit signals and then dither them down to the native panel bit depth of 10-bit.

Also, the Sonys I have take even 8-bit signals and upconvert them up to 14-bit then back down to 10-bit to avoid banding.

Quote:
When you are using 4:4:4 chroma subsampling, which generally is only necessary when using the TV as a computer monitor, there isn't enough bandwidth on the HDMI cable to transmit more than 8-bit HDR..
4:4:4 does not employ chroma subsampling, that is only necessary with 4:2:2, 4:2:0, etc. signals.

10 and 12 bit HDR can be transmitted over HDMI, it just needs to employ chroma subsampling. 4:4:4 or RGB is where you run into the limitation where you cannot pass higher than 8-bit due to bandwidth restrictions.

Quote:
If you aren't using the TV as a computer monitor where you read lots of text and such, you don't really need 4:4:4 at all and you won't notice anything. Movies are mastered in 4:2:0, I believe, and lots of other content is 4:2:2.

I'm not an expert with this stuff though so I may misunderstand some of it.
You are correct in that 4K Blu-rays are encoded at 4:2:0 10-bit for HDR.

On my HTPC I use 4:2:2 10-bit for HDR gaming as a happy middle ground.
theboomr likes this.
post #930 of 1171 Old 08-31-2017, 06:59 PM
UHD Addict

12 bit 444 is still less than 18Gbps with 24fps content. Which is what the x800 outputs for a UHD BD with HDR.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page