AVS Forum banner

Xbox update 10.0.16 messed up HDR

10K views 91 replies 29 participants last post by  Mcsteebler 
#1 ·
I feel like I'm going crazy or my Xbox is messed up.

I have an LG G6 OLED and I use an Xbox S for 4K blurays. When I first got it, I plugged it in and everything looked great. My settings were mostly default on the TV's Standard HDR mode - OLED 100, Contrast 100, Brightness 50.
But since the latest software update for the Xbox (10.0.16), things haven't looked right. At Brightness 50, there's no pure black anymore. Even outside the letterbox, it's gray like I'm watching on my old LCD. There's artifacting and banding all over my copies of LaLa Land and Sicario. To get true black I have to dial Brightness down to 47 or 46 and contrast I've pulled back to around 91.

Has anyone else encountered this?

#5 ·
I have the same problem. When I first tried a 4k UHD disc my heart sank thinking my new One X was faulty. I did some searching on google and couldn't find a support thread on any of the xbox.com forums. Anyone see any threads with better visibility (to MS) anywhere? I tried calling customer support to mention it, but 40minutes later on hold I gave up.

Really disappointing, weekend is usually movie time for me.

For completeness, I'm on a Samsung HU8550 and SEK3500 expansion box. I previously watched the same movies (that I tried on my One X) on my One S months ago so I know they look quite different than they did before.

#7 ·
Yes that hdr problem was fixed... I’m also in the insider program however I️ do have another concern I️ want to point out or maybe someone can help me understand what’s going on here

#1 hdr off. 4:2:2 off

#2 hdr on. 4:2:2 off

#3 hdr on. 4:2:2 on

1 and 2 are identical even though my set and Xbox display hdr10 is on and working

Only when I️ enable 4:2:2 does hdr seem to really work as you can see with the brighter picture and more colors

Also this

Remember pic 2 hdr is on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 ·
Same here! I noticed the YCC 4:2:2 option on the X. Should this be checked for best IQ on my TCL P? If this isn't checked off will the X output in RGB? I believe the PS4 Pro can output in RGB, 2160p 12-bit (HDR) YUV422 (17.82Gbps)!

#18 ·
OP I'm pretty sure I was the first one who discovered this on my ZD9, yeah it made my UHD movie black bars look like grey bars. I even swapped for a 2nd unit but the issue remains, at that point I knew it's a software problem. I watch a lot of UHD Blu-Rays and I'm sure you and many others are feeling more than a bit pissed off with this big oversight. What can I say, hope the official firmware rolls out asap.

#25 · (Edited)
Ah thanks for the info! I miss watching my UHD movies with proper black levels already.
Hey guys I too seen what your talking about and I’m in the beta and get the fix the next day... but just so you know it was just a brightness tweak.. you can turn down your tv brightness about 3 notches and should be good to go

At least that’s what me and 3 friends did and the next day just after the update fix came out the brightness right back up and it was perfect

Nar, I don't like to compromise the peak brightness just to "fix" this, they have to be seen in their best form.

I take it this is the one.
https://twitter.com/XboxQwik/status/929893563516706816

#24 ·
Hey guys I too seen what your talking about and I’m in the beta and get the fix the next day... but just so you know it was just a brightness tweak.. you can turn down your tv brightness about 3 notches and should be good to go

At least that’s what me and 3 friends did and the next day just after the update fix came out the brightness right back up and it was perfect

#29 ·
Have you guys noticed this when gaming as well or just during movies? The HDR when gaming seems off as well. getting alot of washed out colors, grey blacks and artifacts. It is really only during cut scenes not the actual gaming itself. So just the into's to games like forza and battlefront 2.

i have an LG C6 OLED.

#41 ·
Any HDR feed is effected, I have tried Vudu, Netflix and 4K Blu-ray, all have elevated blacks. Hope the fix is soon. I only see that the X is getting a fix so I hope the S is also in the works.

#47 ·
Got update, not fixed

So i got the update and applied it. Doesn't look fixed to me. Looks like Microsoft thinks the problem was only elevated black levels. That is not the problem. The problem is improper processing of hdr content. So the update just reduced black levels but now the picture is much darker than it should be and colors still faded...Lame...

Good thing I took the other posters advice and got myself a dedicated 4k blu ray player. Glad i didn't waste a bunch of money on the new Xbox One X too...

#48 ·
So i got the update and applied it. Doesn't look fixed to me. Looks like Microsoft thinks the problem was only elevated black levels. That is not the problem. The problem is improper processing of hdr content. So the update just reduced black levels but now the picture is much darker than it should be and colors still faded...Lame...

Good thing I took the other posters advice and got myself a dedicated 4k blu ray player. Glad i didn't waste a bunch of money on the new Xbox One X too...
Unfortunately I think you may be right. I have the sony X900e and I played John Wick 2 on the Xbox One X and while the black is no longer grey, it does look like the picture is dim and not as vibrant as before. I played COD WW2 and experienced the same thing while trying to calibrate it again. What a disappointment.

#54 ·
Right. I watched Mad Max on our Sony 940d when we first got it and it looked stunning. Put it in today after the update and it was nothing special.

#55 · (Edited)
ok, just download a few minutes ago and updated my Xbox one S with latest update OS ver. 10.0.16299.4037. Here's my results with OLED65C7 between Xbox one S and Apple Tv 4k with UHD 4K Fate and the Furious, just a little bit dimmer but not that significant as you guys describe, HDMi2 photo (xbox s), HDMi3 photo (apple tv 4k)

Attachments

#56 ·
ok, just download a few minutes ago and updated my Xbox one S with latest update OS ver. 10.0.16299.4037. Here's my results with OLED65C7 between Xbox one S and Apple Tv 4k with Fate and the Furious, just a little bit dimmer but not that significant as you guys describe, HDMi2 photo (xbox s), HDMi3 photo (apple tv 4k)
When I have a little more time Ill toss in the Spider-Man Bluray and compare it to the UHD and a few other disks etc.

#58 ·
The regular bluray and UHD are night and day difference here. One is bright and vivid and rich but also dark, and the UHD is way dimmer. Maybe its the SDR to HDR conversion on my 4k non HDR panel thats causing problems, but I guess it is what it is. No way to adjust it, bummer it looks so dark.

#62 · (Edited)
Can confirm. Just tested Star Trek Into Darkness. The regular Blu Ray looks NIGHT AND DAY better than the 4k version. The standard blu ray is bright and vibrant and the 4k version is very dull compared to. I would suggest to everyone that thinks it might be fixed to compare a standard blu ray and 4k blu ray and look at the difference. I think what is happening is that people with the Xbox One X have never used a 4k player and have nothing to compare true 4k HDR playback to. Once you've seen it done right, you'd know the difference immediately. I also don't think OLEDs are the best example of HDR content because they can't get very bright compared to a high end LED. OLEDs look great for blacks, just not better than my high end Sony for peak brightness and HDR.

#63 ·
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2017/11/16/the-xbox-one-x-4k-blu-ray-player-is-no-longer-a-disaster/#45a0469f4b92

John Archer, who originally broke the news, now says the problem is apparently fixed for the most part.

He does mention something about the Xbox One X not automatically telling the TV what HDMI Black Level setting to use....anyone know what setting I need to use on my Samsung JS8500? :serious:

Could this be what's causing some users to have a dull looking picture with this update? :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.