post #271 of 8018 Old 01-20-2006, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomhitman View Post

I thought you were playing around also, but now I see you really are arrogant. FTW!!111! Looking through the gallery here I can tell you that your whole setup is far from top %10, the people with dedicated theaters is more than I previously thought. You also have to remember that some of the top dogs do not want to post specs or pics of their systems for obvious reasons, you know some people are humble even if they are rich. Then again, what do I know, I am just a poor guy struggling to setup a basic system.

I think he is more proud of his system than arrogant. He even admitted that there would be better systems than his. The thing is, you don't have to be ultra rich to have a top 10% audiophile/videophile system in terms of quality. It doesn't always scale linearly. For example, I visited some boutique audio brand displays at CES - particularly McIntosh comes to my mind immediately, as shown below. The setup had a bazillion watts of power and more than a hundred drivers in total in ceiling high towers, running off of some uber audio source.. When the audio started playing, I instantaneously felt that it 'sucked' (pun intended). For all the 'price-no-bar' gadgetry in that hall, it did not give me the same feeling as when I was listening to my favorite SACD on B&W floorstanding speakers powered by a humble Denon receiver and a run-of-the-mill Sony SACD player. Sure, the McIntosh setup would blow away my humble reference setup in terms of price, but in terms of quality?? Not to the same extent.

McIntosh's uber audio setup from their CES booth

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 8018 Old 01-20-2006, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 43
The only thing people can compare in home theatre systems is pricetag. Performance and Experience are entirely subjective. Is the $5000 sony TV better than the $1500 Brand-X version? Are $2000-each speakers better than $200-each speakers?

As everyone here knows, price isn't always an indicator of performance and quality.
SEE: BOSE, SONY, etc.

In our boys theatre a tweaked HS51 is nice, but if I recally correctly alot of people hate the HS51 because its got the worst screendoor of the bunch, and its a fairly dim projector.

So he thinks its the best, others will think its junk...I've got a H31 480p DLP and a Marantz/Paradigm audio setup. I'm totally happy and satisfied, my only potential upgrade will be to a 720p DLP...but even then, its not a necessity...it would just be a nice thing to have.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #273 of 8018 Old 01-20-2006, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for pics Panic...i'll definitely get a faceplate.

Xbox Live Tag - NoComonSense
post #274 of 8018 Old 01-20-2006, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:

I thought you were playing around also, but now I see you really are arrogant. FTW!!111! Looking through the gallery here I can tell you that your whole setup is far from top %10, the people with dedicated theaters is more than I previously thought. You also have to remember that some of the top dogs do not want to post specs or pics of their systems for obvious reasons, you know some people are humble even if they are rich. Then again, what do I know, I am just a poor guy struggling to setup a basic system.

Wow, do you really think, money is all that makes a system??? Its "proper" setup that makes a huge difference. They may have there $200,000 speakers $40,000.00 Projectors. $500,000 worth of video and audio transports. Does it all relate to that much better performace or a better system? Most of them just have the money and say get it all setup and looking Hott. Some really don't care about greyscale tracking, Color Accracy. Or for speakers proper soundstage, or a feel for the music.

You should really look around you town for Super High End audio Stores, and go see for yourself. I know someone that has a $400,000.00 setup, and still thinks my MUCH smaller setup is better. He uber rich, and is unbias. So $400,000 to him is nothing.

Theres also a think called diminishing return. Is the Denon 3805 at $1000.00 really 6 time worse then the $6000.00 Denon 5805? Nope. the 3805 is about 95% of the sonic performance. and what are you are getting just the extra $$$. HDMI switching, 22.1 channel amplification. So on and so forth. AVS is full of very aware people, but also alot of misinformed people.

Also A very simple and effective DAC - makes the sonic performance of a system better then any receiver out on the market today.

-SOWK

P.S. if you click on my name on the left you can go to my website for better pics, and a more in depth look at my main setup, and just a glance at my 2nd setup in the Bedroom
post #275 of 8018 Old 01-20-2006, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Nice pictures, i like how everything is clean and organized...^^^^^
post #276 of 8018 Old 01-20-2006, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcklein View Post

Nice pictures, i like how everything is clean and organized...^^^^^

Thank you. Actually sometimes I hate it. its really only comfortable for 2 people. and my OCD kicks in, so people are afraid to touch things. But when at others peoples house who aren't as anal as me, I think we can have a little more fun. I think mostly because I don't like food around my Xbox 360 controllers, and remote controls.

I need to find a way to be less paranoid!

-SOWK

Hey, admitting it is half the battle right?
post #277 of 8018 Old 01-20-2006, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Point was not the price of the system or what components in it but more of how you said it. I never said money makes the system either, but when people are showing home theaters that took them months or years to do, or even the people that do have some money to spend on a dedicated home theater, never say look at my totally awesome %10 avs system! If it was said just playing around that is fine but I, AS IN ME/MYSELF/AND I, think that if you are lucky enough to have a nice setup then you should not overly pat yourself on the back about it or claim something ridiculous as having one of the top systems on a forum full of thousands of people. Nothing personal against anyone, just a way I feel about "luxury" items in general. You have a nicer setup than I will ever have, and I respect you for that, but the claim that yours is better than anyone elses kind of killed the respect for me. Back to my bottom %1 setup
post #278 of 8018 Old 01-20-2006, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

Point was not the price of the system or what components in it but more of how you said it. I never said money makes the system either, but when people are showing home theaters that took them months or years to do, or even the people that do have some money to spend on a dedicated home theater, never say look at my totally awesome %10 avs system! If it was said just playing around that is fine but I, AS IN ME/MYSELF/AND I, think that if you are lucky enough to have a nice setup then you should not overly pat yourself on the back about it or claim something ridiculous as having one of the top systems on a forum full of thousands of people. Nothing personal against anyone, just a way I feel about "luxury" items in general. You have a nicer setup than I will ever have, and I respect you for that, but the claim that yours is better than anyone elses kind of killed the respect for me. Back to my bottom %1 setup

Hehe.. lighten up dude !! I'll let you in on a secret !! I don't even have a setup to begin with (having just started out on my first job out of school).

My surround sound system is the TruSurround output out of my Sony KV30XBR910.. . However I have been fortunate to hear some really musical setups at enthusiast meets, and in my bro's house (the B&W setup I mentioned earlier). No need to feel bad when someone says they have a top 10% AV-phile setup (however debatable that claim might be). My time will come one day.
post #279 of 8018 Old 01-20-2006, 01:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post

Well, I don't know about blow mine away. But I'm sure there is better BUT... You also probably don't relize what speakers I have. I pretty sure I would be in the top 10% on AVS for Audio Quality.

On Video Quality, yeah I would say in the top 25% of AVS. Using a very tweaked Sony HS51, all 1:1 mapping thru VGA!

If I had a ruby, I could say the top 10% then as well. hehe.

Also, I wish I had dark grey walls though.

-SOWK

Hehe well I meant no offense but since many other comments have followed I will explain what I meant . I was not actually just talking about Image & Sound quality (which is still always a debatable subject , for example ... I have seen a calibrated HS51 and I was not impressed by the image) . I was talking more about the set-up itself ( look , design , etc. ) , which makes sense to me since you were basically showing a picture of your set-up when you commented that 'you win' and not a screenshot of the 360 in action (like most others here were doing) .

Nothing wrong with being proud of your HT system but I do have to agree that you sounded a bit cocky by making that 'win' comment ( I too thought you were joking ... ) .

As I said before I mean no offense here but it sounds like you might have offended some people with the 'win' comment as there is no contest going on here IMO .

Best Wishes ,
--- Jason
post #280 of 8018 Old 01-20-2006, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, The "I win" comment was a joke. But the others were not.

-SOWK
post #281 of 8018 Old 01-20-2006, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post

Marko...

I am about to pull the trigger on the SXRD...but in that 3rd pic I see some serious ghosting....is just my eyes or something the camera caught or what?

BTW...why are you running in 1080i? I thought the SXRD takes 720p/1080i and upconverts to 1080p???

Also..can you post screen shots of some other 360 games on your set?

Thanks!

The blur or ghost is the camera. It is damn hard to capture good images of the games in true action. I am not capturing things within game, I am capturing externally with the camera. Lights down, TV in its normal mode, the Canon PowerShot on a tripod with the flash off and its exposure time at the minimal speed it can handle and still get a decent picture. Anyway, it's not the SXRD.

And someone else addressed it, but I will confirm, that SXRD displays in 1080p but Xbox 360 puts out at 1080i. So, call it what you will, but I go by the source. If the source is 1080i, then I say, you're looking at 1080i.

OK, so others have also asked for more shots of games. What games do people want to see? I don't have them all, but I have several titles and demos. Anybody want to see the Full Auto demo? I will put them up on Saturday night...
post #282 of 8018 Old 01-20-2006, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post

Thank you. Actually sometimes I hate it. its really only comfortable for 2 people. and my OCD kicks in, so people are afraid to touch things. But when at others peoples house who aren't as anal as me, I think we can have a little more fun. I think mostly because I don't like food around my Xbox 360 controllers, and remote controls.

I need to find a way to be less paranoid!

-SOWK

Hey, admitting it is half the battle right?

i am not afraid to touch things, i would have my feet on that table in a sec.

jk
post #283 of 8018 Old 01-20-2006, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mmmm...sounds like a job for...MEDICATION!

Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #285 of 8018 Old 01-20-2006, 06:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Ok , Dreamkill wins .

j/k ------ Jason
post #286 of 8018 Old 01-20-2006, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

sweet couch....
post #287 of 8018 Old 01-20-2006, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks rendered to me...I call Bullsheep!

j/k, nice setup...sexy receiver, what is that anyhow?

post #288 of 8018 Old 01-21-2006, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Ok , Dreamkill wins .

j/k ------ Jason

LOL ---What up "J"! Lookin' good, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcklein View Post

sweet couch....

The front row is actually two Lounge Type chairs. Perfect for gaming. The Back Row sports a nice single cushion couch. Hopefully, It'll be replaced by some new recliners. Here's a pic of both rows. http://www.betraythis.com/forum/gall...016-resize.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

Looks rendered to me...I call Bullsheep!

j/k, nice setup...sexy receiver, what is that anyhow?

It is pre-rendered, but it's running on actual hardware. LMAO!

The receiver is a Denon 3805s. It pushes the Paradigms very well.

BetrayThis Clan
Xbox Live Gamer Tag:
DreamKill
post #289 of 8018 Old 01-21-2006, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 129
nice clean setup Dreamkill.
post #290 of 8018 Old 01-21-2006, 12:31 PM

Greetings all. I've been scouring these forums for the last few weeks, having found them overall to be more informative than those found just about anywhere else, and finally applied for a post account.

My TV is a 26" Sony LCD HDTV model KLV-V26XBR1
I've only had this TV for about 1 week, so obviously I'm still doing a lot of tweaking and experimentation with VGA vs. Component

So here goes. More screenshots to follow later. Trying to find the some great settings which are appropritiate for night driving in all four main PGR3 cities.
post #291 of 8018 Old 01-21-2006, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It is pre-rendered, but it's running on actual hardware. LMAO!

The receiver is a Denon 3805s. It pushes the Paradigms very well.

Nice, I'm diggin that Denon. Clean theatres always strike me as the most visually pleasing, simple contrast..black and white and silver. People get into the red velvets and I kinda start to wonder "Is it a Theatre, or a Funeral Home?".

post #292 of 8018 Old 01-21-2006, 05:08 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I second that. I have a theory that the men that find Paris Hilton hot are guys who are closet homosexuals, she looks alot more like a teenage boy than a girl

No chest, no hips, her legs are skinnier than a Nigerian long distance runner, the only thing that gives away the fact that she's not a male is her penchant for flashing her camel-toe to the photographers once a week. :P

As for the utter lack of manners, poise, or class.......blame her parents.

She, along with Mariah Carey, should be on a poster that reads "Parents, if you daughters turn out like this, you have FAILED AT YOUR JOB".

Now, how can I put a custom wallpaper on my xbox 360 again?? Do I need that Media connect and an XP computer to do this!??!?

Are you my long lost brother. You HAVE to be! The exact same thing goes thru my mind when I see or hear men making "hot" comments about skinny skanks like that Paris thing.

Great setups though but please people I eat alot and I usually have food in my mouth while I look at all this so please no more Paris pics. I beg of you.
post #293 of 8018 Old 01-21-2006, 06:10 PM

Dreamkill, is that a Transformer I see on your movie rack?
post #294 of 8018 Old 01-21-2006, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Malmsteen View Post

Are you my long lost brother. You HAVE to be! The exact same thing goes thru my mind when I see or hear men making "hot" comments about skinny skanks like that Paris thing.

If you're rich, I'm sure we can work something out

PS: No knocking Transformers......Soundwave is up on my shelf right now..watching...allllways...watching....

post #295 of 8018 Old 01-22-2006, 12:56 AM

Do you get any lag with the Samsung when gaming? A guy at CC was telling DLP sets especially the Samsung isn't good for gaming
post #296 of 8018 Old 01-22-2006, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post

Dreamkill, is that a Transformer I see on your movie rack?

Yup! It's SILVERSTREAK from the AutoBots. He's a WRX-------I have a hard time letting go of my Childhood. Plus I'm only 26, so I'm still allowed to have toys.

BetrayThis Clan
Xbox Live Gamer Tag:
DreamKill
post #297 of 8018 Old 01-22-2006, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Dude, Silverstreak is only a WRX from the NEW transformers. Thats not part of your childhood!!!!

...oh and in case anyone cares, reissue transformers are usually availabl enow in the clearance aisle of Toys R Us for like 1/4 of the price theys tarted off as, but the NEW releases (See Dreams SILVERSTREAK) are much better toys than the old ones. The old ones appeal to us late 20, early 30-somethings who had the originals and Transformers/GI Joe afternoon cartoons. YO JOE!

post #298 of 8018 Old 01-22-2006, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

It was more of an attempt to re-capture my childhood---LOL-------

I will agree, the newer ones are better built. Some of my older ones Flop Around like a bad case of rag doll effects......

BetrayThis Clan
Xbox Live Gamer Tag:
DreamKill
post #299 of 8018 Old 01-22-2006, 12:06 PM

Quote:

Dude, Silverstreak is only a WRX from the NEW transformers. Thats not part of your childhood!!!!

Ahh...Transformers...Wuh-ch-ch-cht-chsht.... <-- The sound effect of transforming doesn't come out very well in text.

My favorite: SkyFire - The big wuss of a giant

Regards,
Matt
post #300 of 8018 Old 01-22-2006, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

High Resolution - 1920x1080 or higher recommended

Low Resolution - 1024x768

Hello all...

Take a better look. I was able to piece 3 pics together with Photoshop CS.

This is a better pic of the whole system as you see in front of you while watching.

-SOWK
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page