Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1628 Old 08-26-2006, 05:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph3 View Post

I just got the red checkerboards today while starting up Dead Rising. Rebooted the system and it locked up at the start up screen with red checkerboards. Rebooted again and everything was fine, played for about two hours with no problems. Is the checkerboards a sign that the 360 will soon die? Or was this just a miner system "hiccup?"

This was removed from Gamedaily. Dont know why....

But if this is true...that using more than one core causes more faults....holy crapola...

Begin Article

Is the Xbox 360 failure rate higher than we think? One employee of a leading publisher believes so, and he also thinks that Capcom's recent release of Dead Rising is contributing to the problem. More within...

GameDaily BIZ was tipped off today by an employee of a major publisher (he wished to keep his name and company anonymous) who claims that the Xbox 360 failure rateat least within this particular publisher's studiohas been much higher than Microsoft has stated failure rates to be.

"[We] got about 300 or so consoles to sell to us for the 360 launch - and I can tell you that from those consoles A LOT more than 5-6% of them have completely died (an informal poll comes closer to 30-50%)," the industry source said.

More interesting still was that this person witnessed even more 360 units fail when people started playing Capcom's Dead Rising around the offices.

"... it seems to center around the release of Dead Rising. The rumor no one can quite confirm right now, is that DR is one of the first games to use the Dual-Core [processors] and thus gets the machine hotter than any other games released so far," he explained.

For Capcom's part, the company doesn't seem to claim any responsibility for the apparent overheating issue. A spokesperson told us, "The game works under the specs of the 360 system and was approved by Microsoft. For anyone having issues with hardware, we have referred them to contact Microsoft for hardware support." (Capcom did not confirm at the time whether or not Dead Rising does indeed use the Dual-Core, or if this is the reason for the problem.)

After explaining the Dead Rising situation, the source then went on to further complain about the failure rate for the console and customer service at MS. "Upon investigating this online, I have discovered that over in the states they (MS) are beginning to charge people $130 to have their machines repaired if they go over the 3 mo warranty period. Some of us here at [company name removed] are on our 5th! console after returning it and burning out another and another and another. A quick calculation, and you can see that it won't take long to have your 360 costing you 2 and 3 times what the PS3 is planning on charging," he lamented. "Although they have not yet initiated that scheme here in the UK- it is still taking a month or more per exchange to ship and receive a new(refurb) console. But if it is true, that it is only just recently that games have come out that truly tax the console, that would seem like an unfair business practice to me."

GameDaily BIZ has been in touch with MS and is currently awaiting comment on this matter. We'll update the story shortly.

by James Brightman

XboxLive Gamertag : FocusHealth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1628 Old 08-26-2006, 11:30 AM
Ph3

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

... magic 8 ball says: Outlook not so good.

Make sure you have a good warranty on this unit. You might get lucky and never see it again, but I wouldn't count on it.

Well your 8 ball was right....... so I returned it to Best Buy today since I had the warranty through them. This was my second bad system so I was a little worried that they wouldn't exchange it because the fine print in the PRP warranty says that they'll only do one exchange..... but they gave me no problems. So now I'm on my 3rd and hopefully last 360.
post #363 of 1628 Old 08-26-2006, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctiq21 View Post

I recently started receiving constant freeze ups. It all started when I tried to play madden 06 the other day. No i am getting constant freezing. The interesting thing is I can only play madden for 2 plays and then it is frozen, with the ncaa 2007 demo. I played for 15 minutes without a problem.

I have intermittent red ring when starting up too.

I have contacted MS and should be receiving my empty box soon.

I'm now getting constant freeze ups when I play Madden 2007 and NCAA 2007. I'm also experiencing the checkerboard screen occasionally when playing games. Only once have I seen the red lights. What I don't understand is why I can watch a movie or concert DVD with no freeze ups on the 360 but as soon as I play a game it freezes up. Any insight? Thanks!
post #364 of 1628 Old 08-26-2006, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyM View Post

I'm now getting constant freeze ups when I play Madden 2007 and NCAA 2007. I'm also experiencing the checkerboard screen occasionally when playing games. Only once have I seen the red lights. What I don't understand is why I can watch a movie or concert DVD with no freeze ups on the 360 but as soon as I play a game it freezes up. Any insight? Thanks!

Mine did the same thing and I believe that the GPU ( 3d Video card/chip) is overheating and causing the lockups.

You dont use the 3d Chip in the menu or while watching a dvd.

Make sense?

Also, this problem tends to get much worse over time once it rears its ugly head the first time

post #365 of 1628 Old 08-27-2006, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipro View Post

Mine did the same thing and I believe that the GPU ( 3d Video card/chip) is overheating and causing the lockups.

You dont use the 3d Chip in the menu or while watching a dvd.

Make sense?

Also, this problem tends to get much worse over time once it rears its ugly head the first time

Thanks! Luckily I decided to get the extended warranty from EB Games.
post #366 of 1628 Old 08-27-2006, 02:38 PM

Well, I went to back to Sams Club today, with out my recipt. I kept all the Sams packing, and in about 45 seconds I had a new Xbox....

Thanks whoever suggested this. Even 10 Months later...Sams Rocks..

post #367 of 1628 Old 08-28-2006, 06:37 PM

MY xbox 360 has been freezing up on me after like 4-5 mins of use and it is out and the open so it is not overheating. can anyone think of what it migh be.
post #368 of 1628 Old 08-28-2006, 09:39 PM

Problems with the 360? Yeah I got problems. On top of freezing every other time I start it up, it's so loud i have to blast the volume up, while it turns my room into a blistering suana with all the heat it disperses. I have not complained about this to any forum since it's release.

BUT NOW, it left a residual ghosting of the EA sports logo on my 42in plasma. Check the video at google videos docid=674974928176909831. (I can't post links yet) I have contacted MS and they are getting back to me. EA claims no responsibilty when they are the morons that created a game with the brightest of white for a ticker that never leaves the screen for as long as you play a game (which is almost an hour on 5 min quarters).

^^trust me, I've had the TV for 9 months and I know the ghosting eventually disappears, usually after an hour or so. video was taken over a day since I last played the game and it's still there 5 days after that. I only played the game for 4-5 hours tops, 4 full games and like 3 frozen games, seriously. I've not had this problem so severe with any other games, channels, dvd, or a computer on this TV.^^

...and now it seems that I have a red checkered stalemate and the red ring of death to look forward to. Wonderful. It's also a lauch date system so I guess I'm screwed over with the warranty. 1-800-4MY-XBOX is gonna get a call from me tomorrow, and I feel sorry for the rep and the supe that are going to get my call.

If you work at an XBOX call center, don't go into work this week.

search google videos label:madden
post #369 of 1628 Old 08-28-2006, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

well, on the one hand, you can't blame ea or any other company for burn in when you're playing on a tv that is susceptible to burn in. that's your fault. on the other hand, that was the first thing that i noticed when i started playing madden 07: why the hell does that score bar on the bottom NEVER disappear? in ncaa it goes away during highlights, replays and at the end of the half and each quarter. but in madden, it's there continually. very dumb move on their part.

---Mr. Met---

J-E-T-S-JETS JETS JETS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO DE-VILS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO METS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO NETS!!!!!!!
post #370 of 1628 Old 08-29-2006, 01:08 AM

I admit knowing that my TV was susceptable to a burn in. I have played other games on this television for extended periods of time without any problem at all (and left my TV on with the comcast guide on for almost a day straight). I mean imagine watching 2 back to back episodes of SportsCenter and then you have the ticker on every other channel whenever the screen gets bright.

I played 4 games of madden. Four full games spread out between 2 days on my TV. I had no reason to believe that this could happen to my TV in such a short period of time. There wasn't a label on the game saying the ticker would be bright white and on the entire time. They don't even have it pictured on the back of the box. It certainly doesn't mention a thing about plasma televisions and warnings in the back of the manual like the EA rep suggested to me. All it mentions is the information about the warranty and apparently EA won't cover the warranty on my TV, according to the EA rep of course. He was very helpful.

Anyway, it's because of EA and Xbox's poor game design on this one.

Having the Xbox freeze on me when I have passed out in the middle of the game and end up leaving it on the screen for days and then I get an EA logo burned on my TV? - My fault.

Playing a game like normal (and minimal) and then seeing a circle with two lines going across the entire bottom of my screen? - Game designer's fault.

It's not like I got the game and put in my xbox and let the it run for 3 days straight. Ironically, if I did do that, the Xbox 360 screen saver would kick in and dim the TV, AND I noticed the demo doesn't even show the ticker.
post #371 of 1628 Old 08-29-2006, 04:23 PM

..try the nyko intercooler..it really helps get the heat out.
post #372 of 1628 Old 08-29-2006, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 881
post #373 of 1628 Old 08-29-2006, 07:45 PM

..I completely agree with that article. I'm on my 2nd 360 as my launch unit died last E3. There is no doubt that this thing runs way hotter than the parts are able to handle. Again...I do recommend the intercooler, for 20 bucks it really does help in my opinion. The only problem with it is that it makes a lot of noise if I have it start with the 360..so I power the 360 first, then turn on the intercooler after a few minutes...no problems. These heating problems will continue to plague the 360 until a redesign...the same with my macbook pro...fancy dual and tri chips are just too hot at the moment.
post #374 of 1628 Old 08-30-2006, 11:25 AM

Quote:

Dead Rising has apparently sold 500,000 copies in the first two weeks. This article would suggest that MS' returns dept. is about to be swamped. I thought this:
Quote:
That 3-5 percent would not correspond with the nearly 40 complaints ConsumerAffairs.Com has received and the growing chorus of blogs and forums saturating the Internet on the topic. Even Microsoft's moderated www.Xbox.com forum has complaints about the system's failure.

was a bit hyperbole heavy. 40 complaints doesn't seem that steep for a consumer affairs website and, although there are a lot of sites with reports of failure, is it really surprising that there would be complaints on the XBox forums?

It would be nice to get some hard numbers on the failure rate but it seems to be all over the place. I'm inclined to believe it may be over 5% but I don't think it's in the 'fundamental design flaw' range. There seem to be plenty of people who have consoles that run ok.
post #375 of 1628 Old 08-30-2006, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Alas, my trusty 360 from November launch died tonight after over 8 months of good service.

I downloaded the DeadRising demo (prophetic name!), and during the opening movie the screen froze and the red checkerboard pattern appeared. I tried restarting, and the 360 logo froze when booting with some of the checkerboard in it too. Then I could get it restarted and the screen blanked. Then on reboot the dreaded red ring of death.

I finally got it back up and tried a different game... the Outfit. It started loading and then the freeze with checkerboard. I snapped a pic to share:

UPDATE: I packed it up and took it to the EBgames I bought it from w/ the warrenty papers. 10 minutes and $30 later I walked out with a new 360 and a new warrenty for another year. I normally don't do extended warrenties, but I was talked into this one and it worked out great for me. I think all my future console purchases will have the extended warrenty.

i got around 7 months out of mine. just bought another one from compusa with the 2 year replacement guarantee.

quick question. i read that one shouldn't set the console too close to a subwoofer. mine was set up about a foot away standing vertically. is that a problem??
post #376 of 1628 Old 08-30-2006, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zolt View Post

i got around 7 months out of mine. just bought another one from compusa with the 2 year replacement guarantee.

quick question. i read that one shouldn't set the console too close to a subwoofer. mine was set up about a foot away standing vertically. is that a problem??

..I have mine relatively close to my sub (within 18 inches)...I wouldn't think it's a problem unless maybe you have your sub jacked to an extreme level.
post #377 of 1628 Old 08-31-2006, 10:33 AM

thanks. i just tested the new one out last night. amazing how much more quietly it runs.
post #378 of 1628 Old 08-31-2006, 06:12 PM

does anyone know why running any dvds on the 360 with a resolution 1360x768 on a vga cable the screen crops to a square but when games or the dashboard is used it goes back to widesreen?

ive found reducing the res and changing the screen format from widesceen to normal on the 360 fixes the dvd issue(hi resolutions seemed to be pre fixed to widescreen on 360, on mine anyway) but i then lose out on games as they are then squashed and cropped top to bottom?

can someone please enlighten me on this issue!
post #379 of 1628 Old 08-31-2006, 06:29 PM

my xbox has been getting these checkerboard that people talk about.
so i want to take it back to best buy i bought the 2 year plan thing. but
my question is do you think i could guve them the xbox minus the hard drive?
post #380 of 1628 Old 08-31-2006, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by -sweetness- View Post

sweetness... I would recommend talking to the manager and asking if you can swap hard drives when you exchange it. Tell them you are certain that the problem isn't the HD and request to open the box, remove the HD from the new one and put your old one on.

Good luck!
post #381 of 1628 Old 09-01-2006, 05:39 AM
Ph3

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by -sweetness- View Post

I've done that twice at Best Buy. They didn't even ask me about the hard drive. They just removed the drive from the new 360, put it on the bad 360 and handed me the new system.
post #382 of 1628 Old 09-09-2006, 11:38 AM

I haven't had any problems to speak of over the last 4 months that I've had my 360. However, lately its been freezing quite frequently and I have a sneaking suspicion that it is a prelude to a much more significant problem forthcoming. I tried calling support, but i was on hold for 20 minutes and gave up. I have the 3 year warranty so there shouldn't be any problems. I would like to know though if the newer 360s have solved the problems or if I should wait for a more significant change to the system. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
post #383 of 1628 Old 09-09-2006, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I got a 360 on launch day. @ 4:00 am in the morning at target (yeah, to you guys I'm one of the "old dudes" looking to score).

Anyway, I have my 360 in an HT cabinet with at least 6 inches of clearance all around. Door on that side of the cabinet stays open...lots of ambient air.

I am on my 4th return to 800-4my-xbox....my fourth.

We have a forum (see sig) where we discuss certain things concerning HT, 360, PC's blah, blah, blah. I have no idea why I continue to go through 360's. The members of the forum have affectionately named it "the Girr effect". Bascially, I touch something electronic and blamo...thing is shot.

I have been told to try and cool the HT cabinet down (gots me a lot of stuff that produces heat ) but don't feel I should have to cool my HT cabinet....which I don't even thing to be the problem to begin with.

I think the failure rate is much higher than M$ would lead you to believe.

Just my .02
post #384 of 1628 Old 09-11-2006, 10:18 AM

rmcgirr83,

Dude that sucks. Mine broke just recently too. ( I play with the BetrayThis guys a bunch)

I filed a complaint with the BBB and hopefully get some kind of discount to fix my 360

360 ($400) + console repair ($140) + 2 year extended warranty on 2nd console ($60) = PS3???? ($599)

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!! not RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDGGGGGGE RACCEERRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!
post #385 of 1628 Old 09-11-2006, 10:05 PM
Advanced Member

I had my 360 for awhile now and I just thought Sega/Visual Concepts screwed up on a launch title like NBA2K6 but there is some serious overscan on my DLP. I realized this after looking through the booklet included with COD2 and said to myself, my display looks different than ones shown here. The model is a Toshiba 52HMX84. I used this image pattern which are both available in 720p & 1080i but since the native resolution is 720p then I didn't bother with any other resolution. Overscan is seen on both HD settings and I was wondering if there are any set of instructions fellow members can share to fix this setting. Hopefully this can be adjusted in the service menu but if it's a bit too complicated then I'll look towards a professional who might be able to help.

http://members.chello.se/zacabeb/rep..._chart_720.jpg

http://members.chello.se/zacabeb/rep...chart_1080.jpg

Now here are my results, the area inside the red border shows what is not visible. I double checked time and time again and it's more or less the same situation when running in 1080i.

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/754...hart720xf3.jpg

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
post #386 of 1628 Old 09-20-2006, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

read this. here you can a detailed error code instead of just a ring of light. involves holding down the sync button and pressing eject.

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=484726

then this,

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=539063

within the second thread he talks about using a heatgun to heat up the solder joints on the BGA chips to get a better connection. seems the manufacturing process where they put these things through an 'oven' to solder the joints sucks. from what i'm reading the manufacturing process still hasn't been fixed.

here is a youtube video of the heat gun process, please read the thread first to understand what is going on..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYv6b7MndJk

also, look into whether your state legal code has, ' Implied Warranty of Merchantability '. You can pull this with MS to get around their $150 replacement fee garbage.
post #387 of 1628 Old 09-23-2006, 09:32 AM

just had my first burn in/ image retention problem. After playing madden 07 360
for a three hours a day over a few day period i now have a faint but detectable ea logo and ticker tape on my 42" panny plasma. I have noticed minor ghosting in the past but it always goes away quickly. this has been there for a week now.

anyone have a similar problem? how can i fix it? it does not seem to be burn in but more like image retention if i understand the difference between the two.

you really can't see it when watching tv (unless you look really closely on certain frames.
you can see it when the screen is black or light and it still very faint.

bottom line. i know its there and i want it to go away. the store i purchased it from says the extended warranty i purchased does cover burn in, but i would rather fix it/
i love this tv!

any suggestions?
post #388 of 1628 Old 09-25-2006, 02:06 PM

Use the snow dude. Snow works great. Unplug your TV from any type of cable source and just allow the snow to sit there for a couple of hours. Sometimes plasmas will suffer from some faint image retention and all that is needed is to change the image and play that for a while, e.g. pop in a movie or something with some motion. Sometimes, however, this is not enough. Sometimes you need something that can create an all white screen, as is required when the burn-in is caused by a bright white "Ticker". There are plasmas that have a feature like this built in, which is awesome, but for those of us whose plasma does not, a screen full of white and black snow for a couple of hours will do the trick.
post #389 of 1628 Old 09-26-2006, 05:17 PM

Hello,

I have a Sony Grand Wega 46" LCDRP. It has a beautiful image on all inputs except for my xbox 360.

On the 360, there is a thick scan line that runs slowly and repeatedly up the screen, causing a lighter image and some discolouration.

I had this problem on my first 360, and returned it thinking it was the unit. Then this one worked perfectly for two days, but suddenly started the problem again.

I am using component cables. I have tried switching the component cables and it didn't work.

I have tried switching inputs on the back of the tv, and it didn't work.

My original xbox (component), Gamecube (RCA) and digital cable (HDMI) do not have this problem.

I have checked the firmness of the cables.

The problem is bad on 720p, but far worse on 480p, making DVD's unpleasant to watch.

The AV switch is set to HDTV.

People have suggested that it could be a power supply issue. But i have tried unplugging everything except the tv and xbox, but no improvement, also I don't see why only the 360 would have this problem if it was a power issue.

I've called 4MyXbox and recevied no help, they say it's the tv, and sony says it's the xbox.

I'm at my wits end, can anyone help me? I don't know what might be causing this. Or direct me to a better thread?

I just have a crappy power bar that everything except the 360 is plugged into.

Thanks.
post #390 of 1628 Old 09-27-2006, 12:03 PM

I'd suggest you try the Xbox 360 on another TV that is similar to yours and see if the problem follws the 360.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page