General XBox 360 problem Thread: - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1628 Old 11-07-2006, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I will start by stating I am a complete novice with home theatre systems.
I am currently having a problem with the color in Ghost Recon while playing it on my big screen. When I fisrst started playing the game I was disapointed in the quality of the graphics for being HD but I could not quite put my finger on just what was really lacking. I had never played the game before so I had not reference point. A while later I had a friend over with his Xbox 360 and we hooked his up to my older Sony Vega 36 inch TV. My system is a Optoma DLP Projector model EP738 hooked up to a Denon AVR-485 The Xbox 360 is hooked up with the component cables. I was stunned to see how much richer the colors were on my old TV vs my HD system. Surely I have something really screwed up here. The room was totally dark, I tried image sizes from 5' to 11' which made no difference. We had the game in co-op mode so we were looking at exactly the same image. My screen is made of material from Dalite. Movies look pretty good on the screen and some of the HD channels from Direct TV are nothing short of stunning but the games just seem to be lacking. Anyone have any advice as to where I should start?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1628 Old 11-08-2006, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancop View Post

Does the xbox 360 only output movies in 480i ? I can set the resolution to 480p, 720p or 1080i on the console and the games will run at the correct resolution, but all DVD movies seem to be at 480i, or at least that is what my Sharp LCD reads and reports the signal as.

Thanks

The Xbox will only upconvert DVDs over the VGA connection. It'll give you 720P over vga at least.
post #453 of 1628 Old 11-09-2006, 06:12 PM

See the attached pic. Notice that slight green tint on top. Is this normal? I only see this tint in any grey screen in xbox live (screen you download items from)
I hooked up the console to my LCD pc monitor and the same effect is there. I'm wondering if this is normal and I jsut never noticed it before (i rarely use the console). Can someone goto a grey screen in xbox live on their 360 and tell me if they see this green tint on top
PIC OF TINT
post #454 of 1628 Old 11-10-2006, 06:32 PM

I have a question on XBox Live

Does Anyone Connect there Xbox live with Comcast ? I'm having problems getting the IP address established ... it won't get passed that part on the TEST screen

I bought an XBox Live starter Kit for my Xbox but never used it .......now I have a 360 can I use it for my 360 ?

and if I can How do I do it ?
post #455 of 1628 Old 11-10-2006, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Shooter View Post

I bought an XBox Live starter Kit for my Xbox but never used it .......now I have a 360 can I use it for my 360 ?

I don't think you can. It's my understanding that the Xbox starter codes won't work on the 360 and vice versa. The 360 has "silver" and "gold" levels of XBL subscriptions, and for the original xbox is was just a straight subscription.

You can use the headset though.
post #456 of 1628 Old 11-11-2006, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Shooter View Post

I have a question on XBox Live

Does Anyone Connect there Xbox live with Comcast ? I'm having problems getting the IP address established ... it won't get passed that part on the TEST screen

You can use the 1 year subscription code that came with the Xbox Live Starter Kit on your Xbox 360. I purchased one years ago and did not use the code until the beginning of this year, and it worked on my Xbox 360.
post #457 of 1628 Old 11-12-2006, 08:25 AM

If I format my xbox to delete everything on there, does it still keep the stuff that was Defaulted on the Hard drive out of the box when I got it ...... or is EVERYTHING Deleted ? if everything is deleted is there anything on there originally that I should definetly keep ?
post #458 of 1628 Old 11-13-2006, 11:47 AM

My problem is when i go to open my disc tray i press it, and it opens then it closes again i have to do this about 4 or 5 times for it to stay open, then to do it when im closing what should i do, ask microsoft just incase it doesnt escalate in a even bigger problem or should i just leave it alone, or do you know.

Fear ME!!
post #459 of 1628 Old 11-13-2006, 04:41 PM

Im having issues with something, but Im not sure what. It started two days ago when I played CoD2 online for the first time. I would join a game, play for about a minute, and then the game says all the players in the game quit and that the game becomes unavalible. What's really happening is my internet and phone connection just die, right there just stop working. All i have to do to fix it is unplug my modem and router and Im good to go. Problem is now I cant play my game Ive been waiting months for. To test my problem I went into CoD2. No problems whatsoever, played the whole game through. I cant figure out what would cause my internet and phone to go just because of a game. My dad thinks it might be the router. Anyone know whats wrong? router? modem? game?internet service?
post #460 of 1628 Old 11-13-2006, 06:58 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBetterHalf View Post

Im having issues with something, but Im not sure what. It started two days ago when I played CoD2 online for the first time. I would join a game, play for about a minute, and then the game says all the players in the game quit and that the game becomes unavalible. What's really happening is my internet and phone connection just die, right there just stop working. All i have to do to fix it is unplug my modem and router and Im good to go. Problem is now I cant play my game Ive been waiting months for. To test my problem I went into CoD2. No problems whatsoever, played the whole game through. I cant figure out what would cause my internet and phone to go just because of a game. My dad thinks it might be the router. Anyone know whats wrong? router? modem? game?internet service?

That has happened to me while playing various games, so I don't think it is CD2 (why did you wait until now to play online!?). Also because your connection is still "working" is probably is not your modem or router as I think that would cause a complete shutdown.

My problem was my internet service (Comcast). It did not always mean that my internet was down, although sometimes it was, but more often that my connection speed was too slow. At risk of incurring a series of more technically informed and precise replies, my cable internet speed suffered when my neighbors also were online due to an inherent limitation in the aggregate traffic cable can handle. When this happens try going to a test site such as at dslreports.com to ping your connection. This will tell you what your actual speed is at that particular point in time and may diagnose your problem.

After months of really crummy speed and customer service that only soon-to-be-dead Hussein would envy, I switched from Comcast to Bellsouth and have not had a single instance in 5+ months.

I don't claim any expertise, just a similar experience. Hope this helps.
post #461 of 1628 Old 11-14-2006, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

GoW seems to be giving my 360 fits. I have been able to play it for 2 hour stretches at times. Other times it will kill the system in less than 5 minutes.

The "kill" has been manifested in several ways:
- Standard freeze up
- A high pitched squelch, followed by the video signal being lost
- A checker board overlay when trying to reboot
- Three Red Rings on attempted reboot (code 0102: Unknown)

I couldn't play GoW for more than 10 minutes last night, but then switched over to GRAW and got 90 minutes on online play in.

I am just past the 90 warranty period and do not have an extended warranty at this time.

How is MS at repairing intermittent units? Should I just wait until it is DOA, or should I start the repair process now?
post #462 of 1628 Old 11-14-2006, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 575
Ninthos...

I hate to say it, but from the description your 360 is in bad shape -- I wouldn't call that "intermittent".

Call MS right away and see if they will repair it ASAP.
post #463 of 1628 Old 11-14-2006, 02:16 PM

Well I am waiting on my 6th repair from Microsoft. I am selling the one I get back from them and buying a PS3. Didn't want to do it but I have got nothing but defect from XBOX. Also it would give me a universal HD player because I have a HD-A1 already.

Over the past year I have had all of the problems you listed and they sent me a repair box right away. You can still purchase the warranty even after the 90 days.
post #464 of 1628 Old 11-14-2006, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nithos View Post

I am just past the 90 warranty period and do not have an extended warranty at this time. How is MS at repairing intermittent units? Should I just wait until it is DOA, or should I start the repair process now?

Call and check on the warranty date. I think that some time ago they started providing a six month warranty. I got my xBox 360 in June and when I called in a month or so later to buy the extended warranty they told me the MS warranty ran out in December and that my extended warranty would begin after that. I had heard about the six months, but this confirmed it for me. You may still be covered.
post #465 of 1628 Old 11-14-2006, 09:07 PM

my 360 just died a couple of days of locking up and freezing and today three red lights. I called Microsoft and it is covered they are sending a box to ship to them in two days.
post #466 of 1628 Old 11-15-2006, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel72 View Post

Call and check on the warranty date. I think that some time ago they started providing a six month warranty. I got my xBox 360 in June and when I called in a month or so later to buy the extended warranty they told me the MS warranty ran out in December and that my extended warranty would begin after that. I had heard about the six months, but this confirmed it for me. You may still be covered.

I can only hope.

I will give them a call tonight. I ment to right down the info so I could do call over my lunch break.
post #467 of 1628 Old 11-15-2006, 09:24 AM

I called back today and asked when I would get the box to ship my xbox 360 because I was told yesterday I would get a box to ship the console. The CSM looked up my information and then told me I needed to cover shipping. I am glad I called today because based on what the guy told me yesterday I'd still be waiting for a box. I packed the 360 up and shipped it today. What is the turnaround on these things?
post #468 of 1628 Old 11-15-2006, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel72 View Post

Nope, they want $140 to repair the unit.

They will not give me 25% off, they will not allow me to extend the warranty, nothing.

From what I have been able to determine Error 0102 is caused when the GPU gets too hot and the solder points on either the GPU, RAM, or Soutbridge get microfractures due to this heat expansion. Obviously a hardware design error, bastards. Maybe I should just reflow the solder myself or take a hotair gun to it for a minute or so.
post #469 of 1628 Old 11-17-2006, 11:36 AM

Liked: 14
How long has it been talking to get a return box lately? I've waited a full week at this point. I was bricked the day of the update BTW.
Edit:FWIW: My box came, it took eight working days to show.
post #470 of 1628 Old 11-19-2006, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
OK i have a problem with my i-pod pluggin up to my 360. My 360 wont play my i-pod for some reason. I downloaded the i-pod firmware to play on my 360 but it still wouldn't play. I tried redownloading the little firmware for it and it keeps on sayin error with some number across from it sayin 8088****** sayin that your item can't be downloaded. What should I do about that.?????????
post #471 of 1628 Old 11-19-2006, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchamblissII View Post

OK i have a problem with my i-pod pluggin up to my 360. My 360 wont play my i-pod for some reason. I downloaded the i-pod firmware to play on my 360 but it still wouldn't play. I tried redownloading the little firmware for it and it keeps on sayin error with some number across from it sayin 8088****** sayin that your item can't be downloaded. What should I do about that.?????????

...try this. Erase the ipod download (under system items in memory)...create a new profile with a silver membership...redownload the ipod file....sign in with your usual profile and see if you're pod will play...
post #472 of 1628 Old 11-21-2006, 08:17 AM

Hi.

I just picked up a 360 on friday (great deals abound with the release of the PS3 ) and I'm having a slight problem with how it displays on my monitor.

I have a Pioneer Elite 53" rear projection (PRO-520HD) that only supports 480p and 1080i. I have hooked up the 360 with the component cables through a component switch (i can't remember the model off the top of my head - it's not a consumer one, I had to special order it years ago and it cost me 300 bucks ) that then goes into my reciever.

When I set the 360 to 1080i, the screen crops a bit at the top and right. This is very noticible on Marvel Ultimate Alliance (the top enemy health bar HUD is almost completley cut off) and with 2 player Gears of War.

The screen doesn't crop in 480p, but it doesn't look as good (obviously).

I have tried directly hooking the 360 into my other "free" component input directly on the tv, but the result is the same.

Does anyone have any suggestions? (I have tried every combination and even followed the advice from the 3rd post of this thread - with the exception of trying a different 360). Could it possibly be the cable? I tried calling MS but the woman on the line had no idea what I was even talking about. All I got was a canned response.

Could it be my tv? I don't have a VGA input, so that cable is not an option...

I have never had a problem with the old xbox and 1080i games (to the best of my knowledge they weren't being cropped).

Thanks in advance.
post #473 of 1628 Old 11-21-2006, 01:40 PM

I am going to be exchanging my Xbox 360 tonight at Gamestop. After the Fall Update I did on 11-3 my games would freeze up on me. When I get the new one tonight should I try and download the Fall Dashboard Update again or should I wait? I didn't know if people that recently did the update were still having the problem. I don't really play online so I don't need it but would like to have it for the streaming options with MP11.
post #474 of 1628 Old 11-21-2006, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optic Nerve View Post

Could it be my tv?

Can you adjust the overscan on your TV? This should solve your problem.
post #475 of 1628 Old 11-21-2006, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloatedCorpse View Post

...try this. Erase the ipod download (under system items in memory)...create a new profile with a silver membership...redownload the ipod file....sign in with your usual profile and see if you're pod will play...

Man thanx I got a chance to make a new account and it work perfectly now I really thankful for the help
post #476 of 1628 Old 11-21-2006, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchamblissII View Post

Man thanx I got a chance to make a new account and it work perfectly now I really thankful for the help

..no problem..glad it worked for ya...I tried calling ms tons of times before someone told me this..it really should be posted on one of ms's help pages.
post #477 of 1628 Old 11-21-2006, 10:41 PM

Liked: 11
Purchased a new 360 premium from the local Microcenter 2 days ago. They are giving 100 dollar mail in rebate. Noticed right away that the graphics had artifacts and colored lines that appeared during game play. I wasnt sure if it was my DLP or the game itself. My gut feeling told me the xbox was the issue.

I returned it tonight, purchased the extended service plan, and hooked it up to the DLP. The difference was night and day. I'm not experiencing any of the issues I had previously. The sales person at the store was kind enough to grab me a 360 from a new shipment. He was afraid that the entire lot could have issues.
post #478 of 1628 Old 11-24-2006, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nithos View Post

Nope, they want $140 to repair the unit.

They will not give me 25% off, they will not allow me to extend the warranty, nothing.

From what I have been able to determine Error 0102 is caused when the GPU gets too hot and the solder points on either the GPU, RAM, or Soutbridge get microfractures due to this heat expansion. Obviously a hardware design error, bastards. Maybe I should just reflow the solder myself or take a hotair gun to it for a minute or so.

I talked them into extending my warranty to cover the repair free of charge. Yippie. The turnaround time was quoted to be 10 days. That seems extremely long to me. We have a 3 day turnaround in our repair shop.
post #479 of 1628 Old 11-24-2006, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optic Nerve View Post

Hi.

I have a Pioneer Elite 53" rear projection (PRO-520HD) that only supports 480p and 1080i.When I set the 360 to 1080i, the screen crops a bit at the top and right. This is very noticible on Marvel Ultimate Alliance (the top enemy health bar HUD is almost completley cut off) and with 2 player Gears of War.

This is an overscan issue, and since there are no overscan adjustments available (yet) on the 360, the only way to fix this issue will be to adjust the overscan on the set itself.

This issue seems to be common on most CRT RP sets, for instance when I play Ghost Recon I can barely see the blue visor 'frame' that's supposed to be at the edges of the screen. I also notice the problem in Gears split screen, where the lower strip will be a bit taller than the top section. Luckily my tv doesn't seem to be too bad, and I'm able to live with it, but it sounds like your overscan might be a bit more severe, and actually affecting gameplay...

It's possible that another 360 might have different levels of overscan, so it can't hurt to try a new unit, but other than that there aren't many options besides adjusting tv's overscan setting...
post #480 of 1628 Old 11-24-2006, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetPreacher View Post

This is an overscan issue, and since there are no overscan adjustments available (yet) on the 360, the only way to fix this issue will be to adjust the overscan on the set itself.

This issue seems to be common on most CRT RP sets, for instance when I play Ghost Recon I can barely see the blue visor 'frame' that's supposed to be at the edges of the screen. I also notice the problem in Gears split screen, where the lower strip will be a bit taller than the top section. Luckily my tv doesn't seem to be too bad, and I'm able to live with it, but it sounds like your overscan might be a bit more severe, and actually affecting gameplay...

It's possible that another 360 might have different levels of overscan, so it can't hurt to try a new unit, but other than that there aren't many options besides adjusting tv's overscan setting...

360s Done have overscan they all output the same, to fix and overscan on a TV picture you'd have to go into the TV Service menu....

Skate Zilla
-----------
Skate Zilla HD Studios - VA Beach, VA
Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page