General XBox 360 problem Thread: - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1628 Old 06-19-2007, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Has anyone had a problem where their 5.1 audio is lost but when the audio is switched to "Digital Stereo" the audio works?

My Receiver is a Denon AVR-2805. Xbox 360 is using TOSLINK optical cable, it used to work then all of a sudden lost audio. Playing around I was able to successfully get it working in "Digital Stereo" mode. I tried multiple optical inputs on my reciever, different cables, and my stand alone OPPO dvd player works just fine in 5.1 on same receiver/inputs.

I sent my 360 to MS for repair, they sent it back and same issue. What is also odd is that my friends 360 acts the same way on my system, with his cable assembly and with mine.

My next test is to try to see if my 360 is able to send 5.1 audio out through TOSLINK on another friends receiver with optical IN's.

Anyone? Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1628 Old 06-19-2007, 09:37 PM

Liked: 10
just got a onkyo 605b and finally got all the cables i needed in the mail from monoprices.

anyways, can i hook up the 360 using both audio cables?

so i plan on keeping the 360 hooked directly to the tv with it's component cables and red/white audio. but i would like to run an optic audio cable from the 360 directly to the receiver for digital sound.

i want to be able to play the 360 without turning the receiver on, but if wanting to, turn on the receiver and get digital sound. will this work and does this harm the 360 at all?

thanks.
post #723 of 1628 Old 06-20-2007, 08:09 AM

My launch 360 has bricked for the fourth time and thanks to Toys R Us replacement plan, I've received a refund to buy a new one. For some reason they sent back my 360 so I'm wondering, if I buy an elite, can I transfer the contents of my hard drive? I know they have a free migration kit, I'm just worried that maybe my hd was corrupted and would hate to screw up a new elite. Also, any ideas on what to do with the dead 360?

360/PSN ID - PanzerNinja
http://www.gamersvantage.com
post #724 of 1628 Old 06-20-2007, 03:07 PM

I am writing for me friend because he is unable to get online at this time. He has a panasonic 50 inch and a 360 pro. When he hooks up the 360 anyway posisible and plays first person shooter games and also gutair hero he has a major lag in it. He will push to shoot a a sec later it will shoot. I do not have a 360 myself so do not know much about it at all. He also tryed on a samsung 50 inch and got the same problem. I know cable boxes have output setting. Does the 360 act the same way where the settings just need to be changed or could there be another problem?
post #725 of 1628 Old 06-20-2007, 03:23 PM

peg612.....
using Game Mode on my Sammy makes a big difference, IMO
post #726 of 1628 Old 06-21-2007, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Hello, lately I have been havingproblems staying connected to Xbox Live. I can coonect no problem but when I'm playing a game it will disconnect me over and over again. I have no problem signing in again, it just won't let me play. I've had this Xbox for almost a year it was brand new, never modified etc.. It's a wired connection to a Netgear router/gateway. Any ideas?

XBOX 360-RY35AN
PS3-RY35AN
post #727 of 1628 Old 06-24-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOrlnsDukie View Post

Last night I turned on my 360 (connected via VGA at 1080p on my Samsung 71-inch DLP) and the picture looked horrible (it's always looked incredible in the past). I just figured I should reboot b/c maybe it was just a temporary glitch. So I powered both off and on (yes, that is ALL that I did), and suddenly I got a 'mode not supported' notification from my Sammy, w/ a blank black screen on VGA. There were no red rings, and the 360 was still booting, as I could still hear it.

It made no sense that it would suddenly no longer work on my display. It's always worked w/o difficulty. Nevertheless, I went one step at a time and did the following (in order), and each step failed to result in any image being displayed on the screen.

1) Tried it with component cables
2) Tried it w/ composite cables
3) Tried it on VGA, component, and composite on my 42-inch 1080p Westy (where it has always worked previously as well). The TV didn't register any signal coming through on any of the 3 inputs
4) Tried resetting the 360 to default resolution by holding down the Y and RT buttons at startup, thereby causing a reboot that should've gone to the default resolution.
5) Tried navigating through the menus by using a set of instructions I had seen for setting the resolution back to default just using the audio.

EVERY ONE OF THESE INTERVENTIONS FAILED TO BRING UP ANY VIDEO WHATSOEVER USING ANY OF THE INPUTS OR CABLES (and on both TV's).

Any advice? Anyone had this happen to him before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piffington View Post

You and Lagomorph have the same problem as me
My 360 was working fine on Sunday I just purchased a new hdtv it's been working fine.Then all of a sudden no audio or video and i tried plugging it every single combonation .i don't know if need to buy a new cable or what .This sucks!

I also have this problem with our Xbox 360 premium. No video or audio through component/composite wires. No red lights. Reset video through the hand controller per Microsoft troubleshooting on line. Set HDTV/TV switch on cable to both positions. Wii works fine on the tv in component and composite modes. I do get audio through the optical port though. I did try to adjust pins on the audio/video connector on the machine with a tiny screwdriver. Got video once after doing that. Then it went blank again.

Out of warranty.

Any suggestions?
post #728 of 1628 Old 06-24-2007, 10:22 PM

try taking your HDD off and starting it up. also, switch that little switch on the a/v output from the 360 from HDTV to Standard and see if something comes up.
post #729 of 1628 Old 06-24-2007, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RY35AN View Post

Hello, lately I have been havingproblems staying connected to Xbox Live. I can coonect no problem but when I'm playing a game it will disconnect me over and over again. I have no problem signing in again, it just won't let me play. I've had this Xbox for almost a year it was brand new, never modified etc.. It's a wired connection to a Netgear router/gateway. Any ideas?

i would guess router problem. also, is anyone using a computer that had a bridge internet connection on the same router? that messes up Xbox Live sometimes. also, the Nintendo Wifi adapter software on WinXP will also kill Xbox Live.
post #730 of 1628 Old 06-25-2007, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyness View Post

try taking your HDD off and starting it up. also, switch that little switch on the a/v output from the 360 from HDTV to Standard and see if something comes up.

I tried HDD on/off, a/v switch HDTV/STD TV. Reset display settings to default with controller (With Y and right trigger during startup from microsoft support page.) Still no video or audio, (audio thru optical ok), green lights ok, no red lights.

Anyone think it could be the pins on the A/V connection port on the console?

Are all the pins supposed to be exposed or are some of them supposed to be pushed in?

Out of warranty.

Thanks
post #731 of 1628 Old 06-25-2007, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
is the repair cycle longer now or something? my box has been sitting in Texas for going on a week and no update at all from either xbox.com or the 1-800 number. Last year the replacement was sent out the same day. I wonder if it's due to this rumored new heatsink?

xbox live/PSN: Chad473
post #732 of 1628 Old 06-25-2007, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

I just got my 360 back today. It was in Texas for 4 days before shipping back. I looked inside with a flashlight and I do have the new heat sink that they have been talking about. It was about a 3 week process all together and I have missed my 360 so much..........
post #733 of 1628 Old 06-25-2007, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLUNKDM View Post

I just got my 360 back today. It was in Texas for 4 days before shipping back. I looked inside with a flashlight and I do have the new heat sink that they have been talking about. It was about a 3 week process all together and I have missed my 360 so much..........

That's good news. Hopefully this means later units going forward will be more reliable. To bad MS won't just exchange out everyone's thats had problems for one of these with the new heat sinks. It's obvious they realize what the reason for the high failure rates is. Mine is out of warranty so I'm going to be fixing it myself.
post #734 of 1628 Old 06-26-2007, 06:53 PM

Liked: 16
If you've had a problem with your 360 and needed to have it repaired, please fill out this survey: http://www.360-gamer.com/xbox360hard...luresurvey.asp
post #735 of 1628 Old 06-26-2007, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLUNKDM View Post

Was the serial number the same on the unit you got back? Or did they send you a refurbished unit?

Xbox Live ID: Livecrazy Joe
post #736 of 1628 Old 06-27-2007, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveCrazy Joe View Post

Was the serial number the same on the unit you got back? Or did they send you a refurbished unit?

Different Serial Number/Refurbished......
post #737 of 1628 Old 06-28-2007, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

9 business days at the repair center and they still have no idea where my console is. spoke to a supervisor today who "prioritized" my ticket. Of course, he tells me it takes 3 days for this to go through..so into next week..then holiday...I'm guessing another 2 weeks till I might get this back, so probably 5-6 weeks total for the whole process. I could barely understand the guy, and if it hadn't taken my whole lunch break just to get to a supervisor I would have complained more..but I doubt it would have made a difference anyway.

post #738 of 1628 Old 06-28-2007, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad473 View Post

9 business days at the repair center and they still have no idea where my console is. spoke to a supervisor today who "prioritized" my ticket. Of course, he tells me it takes 3 days for this to go through..so into next week..then holiday...I'm guessing another 2 weeks till I might get this back. I could barely understand the guy, and if it hadn't taken my whole lunch break just to get to a supervisor I would have complained more..but I doubt it would have made a difference anyway.

Mine sat for a week before I got a email about a replacement being shipped. I Had to call and ask. Amazingly the next day an email shows with a shipment number.
Depe3nding upon where you are at it is a full 4 business days before it shows

Aka- Fr8mvr
post #739 of 1628 Old 06-30-2007, 09:03 PM

I live in a duplex and I use my landlord's network. It always worked for XBOX LIVE (via the xbox wireless network adapter) and my laptop. Now all of a sudden my 360 cannot find the network (but my laptop does). It isn't totally busted because it locates OTHER NETWORKS, of people who must live farther from me than someone who lives in the same house. Why all of a sudden would my 360 not get the signal it had always picked up previously? My landlord tells me that he has not moved or changed anything.

The 360 only sees his network once every 20 tries and then it doesn't connect because there is no reception, it just finds it for a second then can't connect.

Any suggestions? I just paid for12 more months of live but it does no good when my connection is dead.

Thanks.
post #740 of 1628 Old 07-01-2007, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinw View Post

Mine sat for a week before I got a email about a replacement being shipped. I Had to call and ask. Amazingly the next day an email shows with a shipment number.
Depe3nding upon where you are at it is a full 4 business days before it shows

I called in originally on June 2. It took over a week to even get the box to ship it in. They received it at the repair facilities on June 15, and didn't ship the replacement until June 27. I should be getting it --finally-- tomorrow.

I think this service is unacceptable, but the fact that they are actually attempting to fix the problem mollifies me somewhat.
post #741 of 1628 Old 07-01-2007, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theviceman View Post

I live in a duplex and I use my landlord's network. It always worked for XBOX LIVE (via the xbox wireless network adapter) and my laptop. Now all of a sudden my 360 cannot find the network (but my laptop does). It isn't totally busted because it locates OTHER NETWORKS, of people who must live farther from me than someone who lives in the same house. Why all of a sudden would my 360 not get the signal it had always picked up previously? My landlord tells me that he has not moved or changed anything.

The 360 only sees his network once every 20 tries and then it doesn't connect because there is no reception, it just finds it for a second then can't connect.

Any suggestions? I just paid for12 more months of live but it does no good when my connection is dead.

Thanks.

Maybe if the wireless router is powered off and back on, the problem will be cleared. I find that about once every maybe 10 days, my home wireless connection no longer works with my 360. My laptop is unaffected.

Power off both my cable modem and my router, then power on the cable modem, wait until its lights are normal, then power on the router. That that fixes the problem.
post #742 of 1628 Old 07-01-2007, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automatonjohn View Post

I called in originally on June 2. It took over a week to even get the box to ship it in. They received it at the repair facilities on June 15, and didn't ship the replacement until June 27. I should be getting it --finally-- tomorrow.

I think this service is unacceptable, but the fact that they are actually attempting to fix the problem mollifies me somewhat.

I'm right there with you. they had mine at the service center for nearly 2 weeks. I got a tracking number on saturday but it hasn't gone anywhere yet, I'm guessing not till monday (at which point it will be 2 weeks since arriving at the service center). A month to get a replacement is unacceptable in my mind as well. Hopefully it has the new heatsink, and I'll cross my fingers that this one can live longer than a year.

post #743 of 1628 Old 07-02-2007, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Microsoft Covering Up Forza 2 Crash Forum

Posted by William on Friday, June 29th, 2007 at 3:35 am under Microsoft, Microsoft
Tagged: consumers, crash, forza 2, Microsoft, public statements, taken steps, threads and xbox 360

I reported yesterday on the threads popping up in the official Forza 2 forums claiming that Forza 2 is causing the Xbox 360 to crash. Apparently, now Microsoft has taken steps to cover up the forum that has gained massive attention in the past 24 hours. I am highly dissapointed in this move, considering I am a strong supporter of keeping things public, particularly when there could actually be a problem that consumers should be aware of. I should have screen captured the forums, but the thought that Microsoft might delete them entirely wasn't a thought in my mind. Hopefully Microsoft will redeem themselves in the near future, and make some public statements concerning the widespread claims that Forza 2 is causing Xbox 360 units to crash. Some reports even claimed that Forza 2 was causing the Xbox to permanently crash. I'm not sure how much of this is reality, but it needs to be addressed immediately.

In what appears to be an effort to conceal the over 900 replies gamers provided on the official Forzamotorsport.net forums about Forza Motorsport 2 crashing on the Xbox 360, Microsoft has deleted the long thread, now stating that it's exclusive content for registered forum users only. However, the thread was removed entirely, even to registered members. This comes after the thread was revealed and reported on yesterday, gaining plenty of attention. In the thread, hundreds of gamers posted their stories on what happened to the 360 when playing Forza 2, and expressed frustration, anger, and disappointment.

http://news.filefront.com/microsoft-...2-crash-forum/
post #744 of 1628 Old 07-02-2007, 11:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post

Microsoft Covering Up Forza 2 Crash Forum

Posted by William on Friday, June 29th, 2007 at 3:35 am under Microsoft, Microsoft
Tagged: consumers, crash, forza 2, Microsoft, public statements, taken steps, threads and xbox 360

I reported yesterday on the threads popping up in the official Forza 2 forums claiming that Forza 2 is causing the Xbox 360 to crash. Apparently, now Microsoft has taken steps to cover up the forum that has gained massive attention in the past 24 hours. I am highly dissapointed in this move, considering I am a strong supporter of keeping things public, particularly when there could actually be a problem that consumers should be aware of. I should have screen captured the forums, but the thought that Microsoft might delete them entirely wasn't a thought in my mind. Hopefully Microsoft will redeem themselves in the near future, and make some public statements concerning the widespread claims that Forza 2 is causing Xbox 360 units to crash. Some reports even claimed that Forza 2 was causing the Xbox to permanently crash. I'm not sure how much of this is reality, but it needs to be addressed immediately.

In what appears to be an effort to conceal the over 900 replies gamers provided on the official Forzamotorsport.net forums about Forza Motorsport 2 crashing on the Xbox 360, Microsoft has deleted the long thread, now stating that it's exclusive content for registered forum users only. However, the thread was removed entirely, even to registered members. This comes after the thread was revealed and reported on yesterday, gaining plenty of attention. In the thread, hundreds of gamers posted their stories on what happened to the 360 when playing Forza 2, and expressed frustration, anger, and disappointment.

http://news.filefront.com/microsoft-...2-crash-forum/

Point Of Order, I'm a Moderator on the FM.net Forums, the thread wasnt "Deleted" it was moved to a Hidden Section so the developers can take a closer look at the info.

Turn10/MS is Not Covering anything up, I dont see you ripping Ubisoft/Redstorm for the GRAW2 Freezing and Ubi Deleting all the Freezing threads.

Also, Out of the 900+ Replies in that thread, 300 of them are not related to the topic, Im Looking at it right now (cleaning the offtopic/namecalling posts out).

Even If 3,000 Players Are having issues, thats 1% of the Total Users that have played online *(not counting people without live), so, thats less than 1%, which pretty much points back to the 360 in itself being a 1 out of 6 being defective or very sensitive to overheating.

GRAW, Oblivion, GRAW2, RB6 Vegas, Gears Of War, and Several other Major Games have all claimed to be killing consoles, Ironic all of them come out a week after a major System Update too. I dont see you blaming the update.

I feel your Pain, My 360 Died, 1 Day before FM2, Demo Ran Fine, Oblivion started Flickering, Aegis Wing looked like it was missing textures, and videos played back scrambled, paid $140, and sent it in took almost a month (like 28 days) to get it back. I Didnt Get any Emails other than the 1st one, I took note the reference number, shipped it, it was signed for on June 7th, and after 3 weeks I decided to check the reference number and low and behold there was 2 tracking numbers, and the 2nd was shipped that day, and it was my new Xbox 360 (Feb-2007 MFG Date)

http://forzamotorsport.net/news/pitp.../pitpass52.htm

Skate Zilla
-----------
Skate Zilla HD Studios - VA Beach, VA
post #745 of 1628 Old 07-05-2007, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkateZilla View Post

Point Of Order, I'm a Moderator on the FM.net Forums, the thread wasnt "Deleted" it was moved to a Hidden Section so the developers can take a closer look at the info.

Then why didn't you just lock the thread instead of hiding it from the public?

Quote:
Also, Out of the 900+ Replies in that thread, 300 of them are not related to the topic, Im Looking at it right now (cleaning the offtopic/namecalling posts out).

I didn't post on your silly forum, but I did start having problems after I started playing Forza2 (which I and my 2 Sons were completely loving btw), and now my 6 month old 360 that I never had a problem with is dead as of 07/03.

Quote:
Even If 3,000 Players Are having issues, thats 1% of the Total Users that have played online *(not counting people without live), so, thats less than 1%, which pretty much points back to the 360 in itself being a 1 out of 6 being defective or very sensitive to overheating.

Your numbers are also "not counting" folks like me who didn't post to that thread!

Quote:
GRAW, Oblivion, GRAW2, RB6 Vegas, Gears Of War, and Several other Major Games have all claimed to be killing consoles, Ironic all of them come out a week after a major System Update too. I dont see you blaming the update.

Plenty of people complain about updates killing their 360's... you need to venture out more.

Quote:
I feel your Pain, My 360 Died, 1 Day before FM2, Demo Ran Fine, Oblivion started Flickering, Aegis Wing looked like it was missing textures, and videos played back scrambled, paid $140, and sent it in took almost a month (like 28 days) to get it back. I Didnt Get any Emails other than the 1st one, I took note the reference number, shipped it, it was signed for on June 7th, and after 3 weeks I decided to check the reference number and low and behold there was 2 tracking numbers, and the 2nd was shipped that day, and it was my new Xbox 360 (Feb-2007 MFG Date)

hmm, yours died after playing the Forza 2 demo?

chili
somebody set up us the bomb
post #746 of 1628 Old 07-05-2007, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Microsoft Extends Xbox 360 Warranty
By JESSICA MINTZ, AP Business Writer

7/5/2007

SEATTLE - Microsoft Corp. on Thursday extended the warranty on its Xbox 360 to three years after too many of the video game consoles have succumbed to "general hardware failure."

The company said it will record a $1.05 billion to $1.15 billion charge for the fourth quarter that ended Saturday to pay for "anticipated costs."

Microsoft's entertainment and devices division, which makes the Xbox 360 and the Zune digital music player, reported an operating loss of $315 million on $929 million in sales in the third quarter this year.

"We don't think we've been getting the job done," said Robbie Bach, president of the division. "In the past few months, we have been having to make Xbox 360 console repairs at a rate too high for our liking."

Bach said the company made some manufacturing and production changes that he expects will reduce Xbox 360 hardware meltdowns, which are indicated by three flashing red lights on the front of the console.

The executive declined to identify the problems Microsoft fixed, or say what problems remain that could prompt general hardware failure. Bach also would not say how many gamers have sent in machines for repair _ just that the percentage is "bigger than we are comfortable with."

Microsoft will pay for shipping and repairs for three years, worldwide, for consoles afflicted with what gamers casually call "the red ring of death." Previously, the warranty expired after 1 year for U.S. customers and 2 years for Europeans.

Microsoft also will reimburse the "small number" of Xbox 360 owners who have paid for shipping and repairs on out-of-warranty consoles, Bach said.

In June, bloggers speculated that the Xbox 360 return problem was getting so severe that the company was running out of "coffins," special return-shipping boxes Microsoft provides to gamers with dead consoles.

"We'll make sure we have plenty of boxes to go back and forth," Bach said in an interview.
post #747 of 1628 Old 07-05-2007, 07:31 PM

Why wont my dve hddvd run on my xbox elite hddvd player running hdmi
post #748 of 1628 Old 07-05-2007, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

From the New York Times:

The size of the anticipated repair bill suggests that a third to as many as half of the machines are flawed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/06/bu...06soft.html?hp
post #749 of 1628 Old 07-06-2007, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemantom View Post

Why wont my dve hddvd run on my xbox elite hddvd player running hdmi

Do you have the Xbox software update? - connect to Xbox Live and play any HD DVD
post #750 of 1628 Old 07-07-2007, 12:26 PM

I have a sammy 40 inch lns4095d with vga hook up. I keep gatting a problem where in the middle of a game the screen will tint blue for like 10 seconds then the tint will go back correct. It happens no matter wich setting i use on the vga on the xbox. It was not happening until the spring update. Anyone else having this problem? It is annoying.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page