Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1628 Old 12-20-2005, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sMoRTy71 View Post

OK, I'm having lots of problems with freezing and weirdness and I've only had the 360 for 1 day.

The weirdest one, which I haven't seen mentioned, is a graphical glitch that I've experienced in both the Madden 06 demo and the full version of Kameo.

Difficult to describe, so I took pictures.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/smorty71/75776877/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/smorty71/75776960/

Any ideas as to what is causing this? It is a weird series of bands that radiate out from a single point in the screen. In Kameo it was even more jumbled up (as if there were several of these things radiating from different places).

BTW, I have tried both horizontal and vertical placement and both 720p and 1080i res. Same result. Other games, like Halo 2, play fine. I played it for about 2 1/2 hours last night before I ran into the overlay bug.

I am so disappointed in this thing after hunting for so long for it.

sMoRTy71

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1628 Old 12-20-2005, 09:35 PM

Well, I just spent 30 minutes on the phone with MSFT trying to describe what was in the photos I linked to in my earlier post.

Of course, there was nothing in their automated help system that addressed "crazy lines and colors cutting through the game image."

Even without the exact problem identified, they agreed to send out the box to have it shipped in and repaired.

Not only does it suck that I got a dud; however, I am on vacation until Jan. 3rd. Looks like that's when I should be getting my replacement console in the mail.

CRAP!

sMoRTy71

post #93 of 1628 Old 12-22-2005, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmufador View Post

Maybe a little more info:
Xbox is connected to PJ using component. Xbox is set to 720p. Panny 900 is a native 720p PJ. I really want to watch DVDs with the Xbox360: the picture is a lot sharper. The artefacts make it unwatchable though. Plz help...

(I'm posting this in a Panny 900-thread as well)

Same problem here. switching to standard tv(through the switch on the component cable) takes away the artefacts but it means that you are watching SD interlaced. In my quest to figure it out I did notice that home made copies (on a dvd r machine) did not exhibit these "lines", so it got me thinking that maybe it has to do with some sort of macrovision kicking in? Did you connect the 360 directly to the 900 or is it linked through a receiver (in my case through a rotel rsx1055).
post #94 of 1628 Old 12-22-2005, 10:16 AM

Okay, just received my 360 yesterday, the damn thing spends more time locking up then playing time, any suggestions? At first I thought it was a heating issue, so I elevated the power supply and I also elevated the 360 itself standing up vertically. No matter which game I play, it locks up. The manufacture date on the unit is 11/2005. What should I do?

post #95 of 1628 Old 12-22-2005, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Just send it to MS and let them get you a new one...nothing else you really can do to be honest.
post #96 of 1628 Old 12-22-2005, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotelryu View Post

Same problem here. switching to standard tv(through the switch on the component cable) takes away the artefacts but it means that you are watching SD interlaced. In my quest to figure it out I did notice that home made copies (on a dvd r machine) did not exhibit these "lines", so it got me thinking that maybe it has to do with some sort of macrovision kicking in? Did you connect the 360 directly to the 900 or is it linked through a receiver (in my case through a rotel rsx1055).

It's connected directly to the projector (and so is my DVD-player). It's definitely due to the Xbox, not the PJ. Changing the 360s settings to 1080i/480i doesn't help either.
I'm confused: Are you playing these dvdr on the xbox or on the other machine? And what is macrovision (never heard of it).
Did anyone notice anything similar on a regular HDTV set or any other projector?
post #97 of 1628 Old 12-22-2005, 03:58 PM

I got the box to ship back my 360 this morning and I've already packed it up and shipped it via DHL. It is due at the repair facility by noon tomorrow.

The MSFT rep I spoke to said that they ship repairs back out the same day they receive them. If that's the case, then I should get my repaired/new console by Saturday.

Otherwise, it will be delayed due to the holidays since DHL doesn't deliver on Monday.

Once I get the console back, I think I will shell out the $50 for the 2-year service plan .

sMoRTy71

post #98 of 1628 Old 12-23-2005, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmufador View Post

It's connected directly to the projector (and so is my DVD-player). It's definitely due to the Xbox, not the PJ. Changing the 360s settings to 1080i/480i doesn't help either.
I'm confused: Are you playing these dvdr on the xbox or on the other machine? And what is macrovision (never heard of it).
Did anyone notice anything similar on a regular HDTV set or any other projector?

Sorry for the confusion: dvdr (recorded on a dvdr machine) played on 360 seems to be artefact free. And that's also the reason why I was thinking about Macrovision: in general, it's a copy protect system incorporated in the signal of regular dvd's. If the system "suspects"that a recording machine is connected tot the other end of the signal, several artefacts are being introduced to the picture, resulting in a unwatchable picture (therefore making a copy virtually impossible). To my knowledge home made dvd's don't incorporate this system.
post #99 of 1628 Old 12-23-2005, 04:47 AM

I noticed the same artefacts playing a DVD that came with the UK's 'Official Xbox360 Magazine'. I doubt they would incorporate Macrovision on that, but you never know. If it was Macrovision, then people using other HDTVs or projectors should be seeing it as well. Anyone?
I'll be playing around with some different DVDs (R/RW/...) and settings on the PJ. I'll let you know what I come up with...

It's a pity cause the image is so much sharper than my regular DVD-player
post #100 of 1628 Old 12-23-2005, 06:52 AM

Anyone know if you can remove a BC patch once it's applied? My 360 is not yet on a LAN so I downloaded the December patch, burned it to CD and installed it manually.

Now, Halo will only display at a 4:3 aspect ratio, where before it would display at 16:9. I run my 360 at 1080i and tried changing it to 720p but it's still the same.

Any ideas?
post #101 of 1628 Old 12-23-2005, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quick question, currently I have samsung hdbox, w/xbox attached via component to inputs on sat box. Samsung box is set to put out at 1080i (up converts dvd's and games?).
Getting xbox 360, should I connect in the same manner, or should I upgrade to mpeg4 equipment (which does not have input on box for other connections, to up convert other inputs), and attach 360 directly to TV, my understanding is this will put games out in HD, but only 480p for movies.
Thank you for any help you guys can provide, Merry Xmas!
post #102 of 1628 Old 12-23-2005, 11:57 PM

Hi,
I just got my (son's) 360 today, and connected to my Dwin Transcanner/ HDP-500
projector. Set XBOX output to 1080i and display quality was passable while gaming. However, when I attempted to play a DVD for my younger son (Bad News Bears 2 /Widescreen) the whole setup sort of freaked out, and despite experimenting with all possible settings all I was able to get was a very low grade horizontally compressed image, looked like 480i at best, but most maddening thing was that the screen format was all wrong, and it was totally
impossible to correct it. I then tried another DVD, and it had all kinds of issues during the start up phase, but correctly displayed the DVD once the movie itself
started....
Any thoughts?
thanks
tor
post #103 of 1628 Old 12-24-2005, 04:45 AM

I found out some more about the Xbox 360s DVD-player:
In the on-screen menu of the Panasonic PT-AE900 it actually says what input it gets. So when my Xbox 360 Display is set to 720p it puts out the following signals (I live in Belgium, Europe - we have PAL):

Games: 720p
DVD: 576p

With the switch on the Xbox360's HD cable set to SD, you get:

DVD: 575i

And as stated above, the artefacts disappear. So they must be due to the Panny's internal scaler/de-interlacer not being able to handle 576p. I guess there's not so much you can do about that. Changing the Panny's settings (Cinema Reality, NR,...) doesn't help one bit.
Changing the Xbox360s Display settings to 480p or 1080i doesn't help either: it keeps putting out a 576p DVD-signal. Maybe I can sue M$ for that and get really rich and buy a nice HD-DVD player. I guess that won't happen though, cause I reckon it's the actual DVD disc that determines the signal. PAL = 576 lines any which way you turn it. I'll try and find me an NTSC (480 lines) DVD to prove my point here.
Maybe this is why we don't see any artefacts on DVDr as well.
One thing I still don't understand though is that the artefacts aren't on every (PAL) DVD I play: most of them have it, some of them don't.

Oh well, I guess I'll be using my crappy Sony-DVD player in the end: there's not that much difference with 576i.

If there's one thing I've learned from all this, it's that progressive vs interlaced really does make a BIG difference, especially when you blow your image up to a 100 inch diagonal.
post #104 of 1628 Old 12-24-2005, 12:03 PM

I posted my reply to your question on the DVD display thread.
tor
post #105 of 1628 Old 12-26-2005, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I did a quick search and didn't come up with anyone having this problem in this thread. Every once in a while the 360 just loses the connection with Xbox Live. The only way to get it back is to power off and on again.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Stace
post #106 of 1628 Old 12-26-2005, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlehman View Post

Every once in a while the 360 just loses the connection with Xbox Live. The only way to get it back is to power off and on again.

Do you use a router? Is your router Xbox-live certified? It's possible the NAT is expiring on the router prematurely, causing the connection to drop. If you're doing PPPOE this may be "normal" behavior for your connection as well. Without more details, it's hard to be sure.
post #107 of 1628 Old 12-26-2005, 07:04 PM

Im having a weird problem. Im running my 360 through the optical out on the component cable that came with the system. I have sound and its true 5.1 but im not getting any low frequencies. If I play music or games I dont get any frequencies going through the LFE mix. Also if I turn it to 2 ch and still go through the optical I dont get any lows either. I checked my amp with my dvd player and its fine. Im assuming its my amp but just wondered if anyone else had any problem like this? oh yeah and ive already tried 2 different optical cables as well. Any ideas? Thanks.
post #108 of 1628 Old 12-26-2005, 07:26 PM

Ok, follow up. If I set my xbox to Digital stereo I get bass. Once I select Dolby 5.1 I get no lows. Thanks again.
post #109 of 1628 Old 12-26-2005, 09:51 PM

I have:
Denon 3806
Sammy 1080p DLP
Xbox 360
Artison Speakers

I only have two tower speakers but they have the center channel in each of them so I actually have a 3.1 setup. I only can get sound coming out of the right tower (right and right center to clarify) I haven't tried optical, I am only using the red and white stereo connects. I have tried both audio setups, digital and analog - neither seems to correct the problem.

Anyone got any clues? This is my second box - 1st one I had to ship back due to freezing. The box works great - I think I am just confused on my setup....

Thanks in advance...

Aly Sergie
post #110 of 1628 Old 12-27-2005, 01:04 PM

I have a SONY KD-34XBR960. My problem is that when playing Perfect Dark Zero it can be very hard to see at times do to the tv showing some places in the game to be very dark. I am sure that these places should be dark but not so much that you cannot see the enemy. I was wondering if I should just adjust the brightness levels or if there is some other fix. If anyone else has this TV what settings do you use with it? Please help me if you can and thank you in advance.
post #111 of 1628 Old 12-27-2005, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I probably should have posted here first.

Please see my problem at: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=622474

Thanks!

gamertag: GrantMeThePower
post #112 of 1628 Old 12-27-2005, 08:06 PM

I have a Panny TH-42PWD6UY - 853x480 resolution (EDTV) Will the xbox work with this set-up and will it look good? many thanks..
post #113 of 1628 Old 12-27-2005, 09:32 PM

Well thats one less problem for ya. I figured mine out. it was in fact my amp
post #114 of 1628 Old 12-28-2005, 10:31 AM

Okay, received my box from M* today, the directions say "do not send accessories with the console". Does this mean I do not send the HDD in with the system for repair?

post #115 of 1628 Old 12-28-2005, 10:40 AM

I have two suggestions for you. If it's a Premium send it in with the console. If it's a Core, remove it.

My second, and probably safer suggestion is to ignore what I said above and call 1-800-4MY XBOX
post #116 of 1628 Old 12-31-2005, 08:12 AM

D O F'ing A. Well got mine out of the box lastnight finally. All excited felt like a little guy again lol. Booted up PG3. ......Oh holy hell instane erection! Man she was gorgious!! To bad she was just one of those uber hot chicks that gets off on being a tease. It must have hosed up 5 times within 30 minutes, to the point that the only thing I could do was restart it.

Its on an open shlef all by itself........... not happy.......Tease
post #117 of 1628 Old 01-01-2006, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by aamsergie View Post

I have:
Denon 3806
Sammy 1080p DLP
Xbox 360
Artison Speakers

I only have two tower speakers but they have the center channel in each of them so I actually have a 3.1 setup. I only can get sound coming out of the right tower (right and right center to clarify) I haven't tried optical, I am only using the red and white stereo connects. I have tried both audio setups, digital and analog - neither seems to correct the problem.

Anyone got any clues? This is my second box - 1st one I had to ship back due to freezing. The box works great - I think I am just confused on my setup....

Thanks in advance...

Make sure in your denon you are going into the proper audio ins - Use CD or DVD. The with the surround mode setup PL 2 - game.

Also make sure you setup the rears to say none in your setup of the Denon 3806

-SOWK

post #118 of 1628 Old 01-01-2006, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempernoi View Post

Im having a weird problem. Im running my 360 through the optical out on the component cable that came with the system. I have sound and its true 5.1 but im not getting any low frequencies. If I play music or games I dont get any frequencies going through the LFE mix. Also if I turn it to 2 ch and still go through the optical I dont get any lows either. I checked my amp with my dvd player and its fine. Im assuming its my amp but just wondered if anyone else had any problem like this? oh yeah and ive already tried 2 different optical cables as well. Any ideas? Thanks.

..here's a fix for this problem. Make sure your set your speakers to "small" in your receiver set-up menu. If they're set to "large" you won't have the proper amount of bass routed to your sub. I also have a question for you folks. My live connection is almost always initially dropped when i try to connect for the first time in a game lobby. I have to re-sign back in and then it's fine. Any ideas why that initial drop could be happening? I have a dlink router and a hawking broadband booster. I never had any problems usung the same set-up for xbox 1. Thanks in advance.

BC
post #119 of 1628 Old 01-03-2006, 12:27 PM

Anyone have any problems with wireless controllers that won't connect?

I bought a 2nd controller and all that would happen is the ring of light would flash on the controller, then spin in a circle, then flash. Defective controller or end-user error?
post #120 of 1628 Old 01-03-2006, 12:35 PM

Have you gone through the controller registration procedure (pressing the right buttons on the console and the controller)?
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page