DOA 4 Official Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 192 Old 12-30-2005, 08:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 169
If you think DOA4 truly looks nex-gen then you have not played DOA2 Ultimate on Xbox , the characters are really not much different (which really bummed me out) .

--- The game does play exceptionally well other than seeming a bit un-balanced . This is also the most difficult DOA to date and it spends too much time focusing on the counter system IMO (I wish there were a 'counter' level setting or something so that it could actually be more of a brawler if wanted) . Fighting the cpu can be very frustrating at times , it has moments where it is obviously cheating in order to win ( watch that health meter stop at a hair's width as you continue a combo that should end the battle ) .

--- I have since returned the second copy after another lock-up in exactly the same spot as the first disc (it just took it a bit longer to happen this time) :( .

----------------- Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 192 Old 12-30-2005, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Sorry to hear about the game lock-ups, Jason. :eek:
I've played DOA 4 for about 3 hours straight and have not had any lock ups. I have not had any issues with the Xbox 360 on any games I've played. I did buy the Microsoft extended warrenty, just in case. For the price of a game, I think it is well worth the piece of mind.
post #93 of 192 Old 12-30-2005, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was very impressed with the visuals in this game. The framerate is solid and the textures look very detailed in HD. Most of the characters look a tiny bit cartoonish compared to the environments, but I think that style works well.

Looks like I can place Hitomi alongside Kitana and Chun Li as one of my favorite deadly female fighters. :)

Xbox Live Gamertag: voodoogmr
PlayStation Network: voodoogmr
post #94 of 192 Old 12-30-2005, 11:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberScott
Sorry to hear about the game lock-ups, Jason. :eek:
I've played DOA 4 for about 3 hours straight and have not had any lock ups. I have not had any issues with the Xbox 360 on any games I've played. I did buy the Microsoft extended warrenty, just in case. For the price of a game, I think it is well worth the piece of mind.

I bought another copy from a different retailer in hopes that maybe it will be from a different batch/pressing ( probably not but worth a shot ;) ) .

--- We have been playing it for almost an hour now with no issues and I have to admit that even though it is not as visually impressive as I had hoped it would be (running native 720p) the gameplay is excellent :) .

--- Does the M$ warranty have to be purchased within the first 30 days or is it 90 days ? I should know but I never opened up my 360 documents packet and now the box is stored away ;) . Do you have to mail it in or can it be purchased online ? Thanks for any info :D .

----------- Jason
post #95 of 192 Old 12-31-2005, 12:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the early reviews everyone, i should be getting mine on tuesday.
post #96 of 192 Old 12-31-2005, 01:32 AM
AVS Special Member

The gamespot review mentioned that he (Kasavin) and people he talked to in online matches were having lock-up issues. Like most freezes, he said it seemed to occur when using the guide.
post #97 of 192 Old 12-31-2005, 02:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

New disc from different retailer just locked up in the same demo scene as the other 2 previous discs . This has to be bad discs , I don't see how the box would lock up at the same spot in the demo on 3 different discs unless all 3 discs had an error on them at the same spot . Very odd considering that my 360 has not had a single lock-up with any other game and now 3 discs of the same game lock at the same scene (in the demo that plays if you just let it sit there) . The even more odd part of it is that it does not do it every time the demo loops through . The game has not locked at all during gameplay or in menu screens , it only happens on the default demo . I guess the solution is ... don't let the demo loop over and over (lol) .

------------------ Jason
post #98 of 192 Old 12-31-2005, 03:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am a bit disappointed with this version of DOA. I agree with the computer being a little bit cheap. I do think the game looks great, but personally I liked the older counter system.

Nobody I knew could fight me in DOA3 because I would counter everything they did. It got to the point where no one would play against me. On this one even my sister is winning the odd round just by mashing buttons and getting lucky.

I liked the fact that button mashers didn't have a chance before, but hey that's just me. I guess with more time I will get use to it like I did the other, but I do miss it.
post #99 of 192 Old 12-31-2005, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinViegas
I am a bit disappointed with this version of DOA. I agree with the computer being a little bit cheap. I do think the game looks great, but personally I liked the older counter system.

Nobody I knew could fight me in DOA3 because I would counter everything they did. It got to the point where no one would play against me. On this one even my sister is winning the odd round just by mashing buttons and getting lucky.

I liked the fact that button mashers didn't have a chance before, but hey that's just me. I guess with more time I will get use to it like I did the other, but I do miss it.

You said you liked the fact that button mashers didn't have a chance before, this game is even less of a button masher than previous DOA's. Seems to me you should like this one even more.
post #100 of 192 Old 12-31-2005, 06:01 AM

I think some of you who do not like DOA4 were expecting an easier game. Why not spend a few days with it and practice, then come back and give a fair review. I think a few of you were upset that you couldn't jump in and dominate the game right from the beginning.

Patience and practice.....
post #101 of 192 Old 12-31-2005, 06:04 AM

Hey Jason, the warrenty has to be mailed in within the first 10 days of purchase. No mention on the extended warrenty paperwork to purchase online and I had no luck searching the net for online purchase for the 2yr extended warrently. I thought it really strange the Microsoft does not have an online purchase and is only relying on snailmail for it. I head read, I think on consumer reports, that the "minimum" cost of repair to the 360 if sent to Microsoft would be $ 100.00. I usually don't buy extended warrenties but I made an exception in this case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp

--- Does the M$ warranty have to be purchased within the first 30 days or is it 90 days ? I should know but I never opened up my 360 documents packet and now the box is stored away ;) . Do you have to mail it in or can it be purchased online ? Thanks for any info :D .

----------- Jason
post #102 of 192 Old 12-31-2005, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Personally I love the game, and while the charachter models aren't that different looking, I actually like it that way. The backgrounds are drop dead gorgeous though. On some levels me and my friend were having a hard time concentrating on the fight because we were to busy watching everything else going on in the game.

All in all I love it so far. My only issues have been some lag on live with this game.

post #103 of 192 Old 12-31-2005, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkout
I think some of you who do not like DOA4 were expecting an easier game. Why not spend a few days with it and practice, then come back and give a fair review. I think a few of you were upset that you couldn't jump in and dominate the game right from the beginning.

Patience and practice.....
I agree. I popped in DOA 3 and did find that button mashing in that title yielded better results than in DOA4 The AI in DOA4 is tougher and you will have to spend time learning blocking and attacking moves for your favaorite character. It is not as easy to "mash" your way through DOA 4 as opposed to the other games in the series.
post #104 of 192 Old 12-31-2005, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamelover360
I doubt its the game. The 360 is having widespread lock up issues. Mine did it and my buddies. I alreday returned mine to MS and got new one. My buddy is doing the same.

By widespread I mean that probably 25-50% of 360's have locked up at least once. Locking up is not normal and I will not tolerate it.

You're not alone Jason, the freezing/locking up issue is more common than you think.

If it contnues send your unit back to be fixed/replaced.
I'm pretty sure every video game system I've ever owned dating back to the Atari 2600 has locked up on me. My xbox and ps2 will lock up quite a bit if I use it for an extended period of time. You dont' have to tolerate it, but I think a system lockup is bound to happen in 100% with normal usage.

Do you return your pc if it locks up once? Pretty much a lot of the same parts inside doing a lot of the same thing. IF its constantly locking up thats one thing, but 1 lockup every once in a blue moon probably doesn't mean much.

post #105 of 192 Old 12-31-2005, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

I disagree with this not being a button masher, my sister has never played any dead or alive game and she beat it with Ayane and Christie. At the end she said her thumbs hurt.

If that isn't button mashing, then I dont know what is...
post #106 of 192 Old 12-31-2005, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp
If you think DOA4 truly looks nex-gen then you have not played DOA2 Ultimate on Xbox , the characters are really not much different (which really bummed me out) .

--- The game does play exceptionally well other than seeming a bit un-balanced . This is also the most difficult DOA to date and it spends too much time focusing on the counter system IMO (I wish there were a 'counter' level setting or something so that it could actually be more of a brawler if wanted) . Fighting the cpu can be very frustrating at times , it has moments where it is obviously cheating in order to win ( watch that health meter stop at a hair's width as you continue a combo that should end the battle ) .

--- I have since returned the second copy after another lock-up in exactly the same spot as the first disc (it just took it a bit longer to happen this time) :( .

----------------- Jason
Yeah, the character models don't look too different, mainly because Team Ninja is using the same lighting and shading system for the skin. Even the textures look similar. The environments however, are a big step over what I've seen in DOAU. The clothing looks a lot more realistic as well (see Ryu's Ninja Gaiden outfit).

I think it's more of a time problem. Team Ninja clearly focused more on gameplay this time, compared to them not focusing on gameplay but just graphics for DOA3. Didn't they only spent a little over a year to actually develop this game? DOAU came out on November, 2004.

Quote:
I disagree with this not being a button masher, my sister has never played any dead or alive game and she beat it with Ayane and Christie. At the end she said her thumbs hurt.

That might be because you suck at the game. :p
post #107 of 192 Old 12-31-2005, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chap
I'm pretty sure every video game system I've ever owned dating back to the Atari 2600 has locked up on me. My xbox and ps2 will lock up quite a bit if I use it for an extended period of time. You dont' have to tolerate it, but I think a system lockup is bound to happen in 100% with normal usage.

Do you return your pc if it locks up once? Pretty much a lot of the same parts inside doing a lot of the same thing. IF its constantly locking up thats one thing, but 1 lockup every once in a blue moon probably doesn't mean much.
I concur, every video game system I've ever owned also, all the way back to an Intellivision locks up from time to time. Its going to happen.
post #108 of 192 Old 12-31-2005, 10:55 AM

Quote:

She must be the luckiest girl alive, but to be honest, I think you're full of BS. This game is so far from a button masher its ridiculous.
post #109 of 192 Old 12-31-2005, 02:04 PM

jeez, when are we going to actually see a next-gen game? I wish is just to buy a game that shows me that "Yes, this $~600 (CDN) machine sitting beneath my TV is a next gen console." So far the games I own (NFS, Kameo, PDZ, NHL 2K6, PGR3) have failed to impress me graphic wise and it sounds like DOA4 is going to do the same.
post #110 of 192 Old 12-31-2005, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
She must be the luckiest girl alive, but to be honest, I think you're full of BS. This game is so far from a button masher its ridiculous.
You can think I am full of BS all you want, but that fact is she did it and is still doing it. She doesn't use block or know how to counter and still she beats it just by mashing buttons.

On another note does anyone know how to get the Tengu? I have already gotten Leon, Ein, GenFu, Spartan and Helena.

I am also almost done getting all of the costumes. Also how do you get extra costumes for the hidden characters?

Thanks for your input in advance.
post #111 of 192 Old 12-31-2005, 02:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

CyberScott , thanks for that warranty info ( even though I goofed and missed my chance at getting it , UGH ) ;) .

--- What has to be done to unlock the female Spartan ? Is it just me or does this Halo character being in DOA4 seem really out of place and even somewhat of a sellout on TECMO's part .

--- I would also agree this game is no button masher but at the same time I can see how somebody could get lucky with certain combos and beat the game (I was able to beat the final boss last night without using any counters) .

---------- Jason
post #112 of 192 Old 12-31-2005, 02:35 PM

How do you unlock the Spartan?
post #113 of 192 Old 12-31-2005, 02:53 PM

Quote:
You can think I am full of BS all you want, but that fact is she did it and is still doing it. She doesn't use block or know how to counter and still she beats it just by mashing buttons.

On another note does anyone know how to get the Tengu? I have already gotten Leon, Ein, GenFu, Spartan and Helena.

I am also almost done getting all of the costumes. Also how do you get extra costumes for the hidden characters?

Thanks for your input in advance.
Next you'll be telling all of us that she's ranked in the top 10 in the world on LIVE and all she does it mash buttons.
post #114 of 192 Old 12-31-2005, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Next you'll be telling all of us that she's ranked in the top 10 in the world on LIVE and all she does it mash buttons.
I dont understand what your problem is, but the fact of the matter is it's true.

And for the other guys question, to unlock the spartan you have to beat the game with all characters to first unlock Helena, the you have to beat the game with Helena and the Spartan becomes unlocked.

And I figured out how to get costumes forthe hidden characters. You just have to use them in time attack and beat that. Each time you beat it, you will unlock a costume.
post #115 of 192 Old 12-31-2005, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeelaPo
jeez, when are we going to actually see a next-gen game? I wish is just to buy a game that shows me that "Yes, this $~600 (CDN) machine sitting beneath my TV is a next gen console." So far the games I own (NFS, Kameo, PDZ, NHL 2K6, PGR3) have failed to impress me graphic wise and it sounds like DOA4 is going to do the same.

Wow, if you don't think PGR3 is next gen, then you must have some pretty high standards or you don't have an HDTV. First time I saw a screenshot from ingame, I thought it was an actual photo of a place I know.

post #116 of 192 Old 12-31-2005, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chap
Wow, if you don't think PGR3 is next gen, then you must have some pretty high standards or you don't have an HDTV. First time I saw a screenshot from ingame, I thought it was an actual photo of a place I know.
I do have an HDTV and I do have extremely high standards especially with this console. Granted PGR3 does have some next gen moments (night time races) however sometimes during the day races (overcast type weather) it seems that those particular tracks could have been done on a normal X-Box and looked the same. I had the same feeling with the launch PS2 games when that console first came out so I imagine it'll take time for developers to actually make a truely next-gen game.

All in all I am just a graphics whore and I want to really see a game that 'wows' me :)
post #117 of 192 Old 12-31-2005, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

To me the night races look like a cartoon, and the cars look like a ''video game" lol
But the overcast and night races look next gen for sure...
post #118 of 192 Old 12-31-2005, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeelaPo
it seems that those particular tracks could have been done on a normal X-Box and looked the same.
You must have an awesome Xbox.
post #119 of 192 Old 12-31-2005, 11:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked: 749
Though Tabasco mentions it a bit back, I thought I'd amplify that Gamespot posted a review of this, by Greg Kasavin very, very early today (12:01 AM). You can read it [url=http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/deadoralive4/review.html]here[/i]. They gave it an 8.8.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #120 of 192 Old 12-31-2005, 11:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked: 749
Though Tabasco mentions it a bit back, I thought I'd amplify that Gamespot posted a review of this, by Greg Kasavin very, very early today (12:01 AM). You can read it here. They gave it an 8.8.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Closed Thread Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page